Pre-2020 summer transfers

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Pre-2020 summer transfers

Post by DocBarrister »

TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:47 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:46 pm Yikes.

My guess is Cuse and Albany will be the favorites to land him.
My exact thoughts. I'd be shocked if he wasn't doing this to move closer to home. Time will tell.
Hmmmm ... let me see ... is there a team out there who could use an athletic 6-foot tall midfielder ... who can score nearly 60 points ... :?:

Give me a few days ... I’m sure I can think of some teams who can use a player like that.

Boy ... this is a tough one. :?: :?: :?:

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:48 pm I know it’s a huge stretch, but if he’s heading home how about St. Bonaventure? Mearns’ first big coup? It sure would help put them on the map. Better than anyone Mearns ever had at Canisius.
It went by, like dusk to dawn. Isn't that the way. Everybody's got the dues in life to pay.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Gray chooses UNC.

At least it's not Duke!

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/11 ... 5685352448
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

LSN tweet

"I felt Loyola wasn’t the right fit atmosphere-wise within the locker room. I’m looking for somewhere a little bit more blue collared." Chase Scanlan also tells LSN he's looking at ACC and Big Ten schools. More on Scanlan entering transfer portal:
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm LSN tweet

"I felt Loyola wasn’t the right fit atmosphere-wise within the locker room. I’m looking for somewhere a little bit more blue collared." Chase Scanlan also tells LSN he's looking at ACC and Big Ten schools. More on Scanlan entering transfer portal:
Blue collar?!? Can’t beat Johns Hopkins for blue collar! No country club atmosphere at Johns Hopkins ... everyone works hard both on and off the field!

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 am Gray chooses UNC.

At least it's not Duke!

Gray who? ;)

More seriously, this move is definitely an upgrade in terms of lacrosse, but just a lateral in terms of academics. No disrespect to UNC ... just respect for BU. Ok, maybe a little disrespect. :P

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

If it’s the Big Ten, I am hoping it’s Ohio State.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:32 pm

If it’s the Big Ten, I am hoping it’s Ohio State.
You mean, “Club Columbus”?!?

Not sure Scanlan will be impressed by the wine tastings and the equestrian polo for which Ohio State is renowned.

DocBarrister (blue collar Hopkins alum) ;)
Last edited by DocBarrister on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:22 pm

At least it's not Duke!

Gray who? ;)

More seriously, this move is definitely an upgrade in terms of lacrosse, but just a lateral in terms of academics. No disrespect to UNC ... just respect for BU. Ok, maybe a little disrespect. :P

DocBarrister 8-)
I'm not 100% sure that the move is even an upgrade in terms of lacrosse. UNC definitely has more history of the sport, but if you look at both teams over the last few years, the results aren't that much different.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

At least it's not Duke!

Gray who? ;)

DocBarrister 8-)

Doc doing his best again to make cheering for Hopkins nearly impossible.

Here Doc: Your comparison as tabulated by US News and World Report. Doesn't seem like much of a comparison. UNC smokes BU in nearly every category, but I would save the best for last: Chapel Hill is about 100x more attractive as a campus than BU, and 2x that 100-fold factor in coed beauty.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/co ... _id=164988
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

BU is in Boston. How many undergrads are in Boston and immediate vicinity? Campus architecture isn’t a big deal in choosing where to play for very many of any
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:45 pm

At least it's not Duke!

Gray who? ;)

DocBarrister 8-)
Doc doing his best again to make cheering for Hopkins nearly impossible.

Here Doc: Your comparison as tabulated by US News and World Report. Doesn't seem like much of a comparison. UNC smokes BU in nearly every category, but I would save the best for last: Chapel Hill is about 100x more attractive as a campus than BU, and 2x that 100-fold factor in coed beauty.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/co ... _id=164988
My take is this is just a long standing “tradition” to slam the Heels whenever possible.
My theory is, this is due to the “theft” of Willie Scroggs way back when.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Somehow there is nothing more snobby, pretentious, and hoity-toity than Scanlan's quote. Oh the irony of living in 2019.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:35 pm Somehow there is nothing more snobby, pretentious, and hoity-toity than Scanlan's quote. Oh the irony of living in 2019.
i wouldn't say it's those things. they sound like honest feelings. maybe he thought he wasn't allowed into some of their reindeer games. if i were advising him, i probably would tell him to keep that reasoning to himself. they were his teammates, after all. but yeah, he's maybe just hitting 19-20 years old and being a little too honest about his thoughts getting out isn't shocking?

his background -- silver creek high school varsity from it looks like 7th grade thru soph year in western new york. silver creek district at least partly encompasses the rez nearby, though i don't know what part of the area he's from. it's a blue collar area, but not without its charms. one example of "blue collar" is that that team has fielded as few as 10, 11 or 12 guys -- including 7th graders... and still done well in the nys tournament at times.
then... img for a couple years, as well as heading out west in the summer to play with the adanacs. and to israel with the iroquois. make of the travel what you will, but he was able to get out of the area..

what specifically he means or what he's looking for isn't easy to decipher. harder still to find it in lacrosse anymore, and harder still to find it in the b1g or acc. the backgrounds of teams at least will be similar at unc, duke, uva, nd in the acc and at least maryland, hopkins, michigan in the b1g. syracuse and rutgers have more of the "blue collar" types on their rosters (painting with a broad stereotyping brush here). and maybe ohio state also. and then albany. that hasn't translated for those teams recently in the hustle stats (more stereotyping) like riding and gbs (except maybe cuse to a degree), but if we're speculating and using backgrounds as a clue -- those might be the players here.

side piece --- he's zed williams cousin. i believe zed had a good experience, but uva isn't part of the southern ivy league for nuthin'. though
if he's talking more about the things that sometimes translate to gbs and riding, ya never know...
tech37

Post by tech37 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:17 pm Blue collar?!? Can’t beat Johns Hopkins for blue collar!
:lol: Yeah sure...the only thing blue at Hopkins is the uniform and blood.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Probably blue ballzz too, many a mention on the Hop thread about the lack of desireable young coeds there. ;)
CC10

Post by CC10 »

This Golden State free agency trend for college lacrosse is not good for the sport. It really just helps the top programs, so essentially if they missed some good recruits the first time around, they will get them thru the transfer system. This will handicap up and coming programs who make great recruiting decisions, develop the player just to lose them. (A farm system for the blue bloods) :cry:
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

Detroit-Mercy! Book it!
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

CC10 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:20 pm This Golden State free agency trend for college lacrosse is not good for the sport. It really just helps the top programs, so essentially if they missed some good recruits the first time around, they will get them thru the transfer system. This will handicap up and coming programs who make great recruiting decisions, develop the player just to lose them. (A farm system for the blue bloods) :cry:
But lots of kids transfer away from the blue bloods too. Probably more kids transfer down a level than transfer up. Any program will take a Duke transfer but only the proven stars can transfer on to the Duke team.

It's not just lacrosse. Basketball transfers are as standard as registering for next semester classes. That's just the way it is now.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

CC10 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:20 pm This Golden State free agency trend for college lacrosse is not good for the sport. It really just helps the top programs, so essentially if they missed some good recruits the first time around, they will get them thru the transfer system. This will handicap up and coming programs who make great recruiting decisions, develop the player just to lose them. (A farm system for the blue bloods) :cry:
I think a few high profile players every off season is not a big deal, and agree many more lower profile guys drop down. This year we have 2 top guys moving out of 73 D1 programs. They only get four years to play, I think they should be allowed to go where they want.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”