D1 Mens Lacrosse
priya31

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by priya31 »

Excellent thread..!!!
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Sagittarius. That is called a non sequitur. Your logic is so often filled with errors in logic.

DP isn’t looking and isn’t going anywhere of his own volition so there is no need for her to act quickly. When he was hired away from Cornell Schnydman told him it was time to come home. When I asked her what her first priority was I her new job it wasn’t your issue
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

OCanada wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:54 am Sagittarius. That is called a non sequitur. Your logic is so often filled with errors in logic.

DP isn’t looking and isn’t going anywhere of his own volition so there is no need for her to act quickly. When he was hired away from Cornell Schnydman told him it was time to come home. When I asked her what her first priority was I her new job it wasn’t your issue
You can spin it any way you want but if I’m the coach and I don’t have a contract extension I’m looking around. It’s obvious there’s a problem here. You don’t let a coach go into a lame duck year if you’re happy with him. I suspect barring a spectacular spring this may be Pedro’s last.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:52 am You can spin it any way you want but if I’m the coach and I don’t have a contract extension I’m looking around.
...why? At the very least he's got one more season here, he should be—and is—focusing on that. If the time comes in June for him to look elsewhere then he'll do that then and likely won't have much trouble finding another gig, if not this summer than the next one or whenever an opportunity opens up. It's also possible, you know, that he might want to step back from coaching so he can actually watch his sons play in college. I highly doubt the guy is thinking about anything other than the 2020 season for the Blue Jays right now. I might criticize some of his personnel decisions but he is the ultimate competitor who almost always has his priorities in the right place. "Looking around" now, in addition to just not making sense from his perspective, would be a detriment to his current players, and he would never throw them under the bus like that in a million years.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

priya31 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:13 am Excellent thread..!!!
Meh. It could use more cats.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:44 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:52 am You can spin it any way you want but if I’m the coach and I don’t have a contract extension I’m looking around.
...why? At the very least he's got one more season here, he should be—and is—focusing on that. If the time comes in June for him to look elsewhere then he'll do that then and likely won't have much trouble finding another gig, if not this summer than the next one or whenever an opportunity opens up. It's also possible, you know, that he might want to step back from coaching so he can actually watch his sons play in college. I highly doubt the guy is thinking about anything other than the 2020 season for the Blue Jays right now. I might criticize some of his personnel decisions but he is the ultimate competitor who almost always has his priorities in the right place. "Looking around" now, in addition to just not making sense from his perspective, would be a detriment to his current players, and he would never throw them under the bus like that in a million years.
I thought, at the very least, he should have discreetly backchanneled an inquiry to Navy six months ago.

I still think he’s gone.

And you can thank Kelton Black’s mom for that.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

No you can thank the president if that is true.

He had turned down invitations from at least three institutions I can think of
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Sagittarius the only one spinning anything is you with your defective logic and insistence there is only one possible explanation. Motivational thinking can be crippling

To the best of anyone’s knowledge he has not and is not looking fir another situation. He has turned down all approaches. Hopkins is his home.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:17 am I still think he’s gone.

Wow - someone finally made a specific reference to the 'incident". I disagree Wombat - that was in the fall of 2012 - 7 years ago. If Daniels and/or Ms. Shanahan wanted him gone they would have orchestrated it long before now. He received an extension in between then and now. I remain convinced that ultimately any decision takes into account the input of the people who really matter - the successful lacrosse alumni who pay for the Playstation 4's in the locker room - i.e., Cordish, Townsend, Cowan etc. If they want him to stay - and he wants to stay - then he stays. If they are in the camp that better can be done then it seems plausible this could be his last rodeo at Hopkins. I have no idea - FWIW - my one credible source - the one who told me me Dominic will not matriculate at Hopkins - thinks Petro stays.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:51 am

Wow - someone finally made a specific reference to the 'incident". I disagree Wombat - that was in the fall of 2012 - 7 years ago. If Daniels and/or Ms. Shanahan wanted him gone they would have orchestrated it long before now. He received an extension in between then and now. I remain convinced that ultimately any decision takes into account the input of the people who really matter - the successful lacrosse alumni who pay for the Playstation 4's in the locker room - i.e., Cordish, Townsend, Cowan etc. If they want him to stay - and he wants to stay - then he stays. If they are in the camp that better can be done then it seems plausible this could be his last rodeo at Hopkins. I have no idea - FWIW - my one credible source - the one who told me me Dominic will not matriculate at Hopkins - thinks Petro stays.
Who does call the shots? Is it the Cordish Townsend Cowan triad or is it the Hopkins admin?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Thinks he stays or is confident he stays?
There’s a difference. I don’t think the current situation is sustainable regardless of what the firm of Cornish, Cowan, et al. may think.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

BUT, Tom Calder was still AD when the last contract extension was given. TC didn’t just go into fundraising/development of his own volition.

DP has lost all top cover. TC moved out. Bob Scott has passed away. Schnydmann left - couldn’t stand Daniels.

The roadmap to departure has been long laid out for anyone wanting to follow it. Writing on the wall.

“Last time I checked, I’m the one who is President.”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:31 am

BUT, Tom Calder was still AD when the last contract extension was given. TC didn’t just go into fundraising/development of his own volition.

DP has lost all top cover. TC moved out. Bob Scott has passed away. Schnydmann left - couldn’t stand Daniels.

The roadmap to departure has been long laid out for anyone wanting to follow it. Writing on the wall.

How much say does the more recent generation of alumni—Rabil, Harrison, etc.—have in this? One would think they support their former coach, but I have no idea. Given that this decision is about the future of the program, after all, I'd value their input as guys who I think are more tuned into where the game is today and where it's headed than some of the elder statesmen.

Im other news, the annual wheelchair game was last night. Jays predictably were clobbered, 13-2. Looked like fun though. Videos on the team's Twitter.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:38 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:31 am

How much say does the more recent generation of alumni—Rabil, Harrison, etc.—have in this? One would think they support their former coach, but I have no idea. Given that this decision is about the future of the program, after all, I'd value their input as guys who I think are more tuned into where the game is today and where it's headed than some of the elder statesmen.

Im other news, the annual wheelchair game was last night. Jays predictably were clobbered, 13-2. Looked like fun though. Videos on the team's Twitter.
further to that will the advisory board have input?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:14 am
priya31 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:13 am Excellent thread..!!!
Meh. It could use more cats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX0UAGo-rxU
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

OCanada wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:29 am Sagittarius the only one spinning anything is you with your defective logic and insistence there is only one possible explanation. Motivational thinking can be crippling

To the best of anyone’s knowledge he has not and is not looking fir another situation. He has turned down all approaches. Hopkins is his home.
He’d be wise to accept the next approach and he should do it quickly. Dwan and Benson should be out combing the High Schools hoping they can catch on someplace in the Baltimore area.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Loyalty is one of DP’s best attributes, but it has also been a liability in several respects. Like player playing time.

Since Roger Jay was brought up several pages ago, I’ll mention one of his befuddlements. And I like this family, know the Dad, great people, but in his senior year, Drew Dabrowski got lots of PT and starts, but he looked like a turnover waiting to happen. Tall, lanky, mobility a little high on the viscosity scale. But that dangling stick looked like it was headed to a weekly yard sale.

To his credit, he played well, or well enough. And IIRC, was a Captain. Seemed to be rewarded for hanging with the system in his early years and putting in his time.

But Roger kept wondering if there was no one better on the bench and, if so, how is PT being determined? Loyalty?

For me, Dolente playing man down D was the real What the heck saga over the past ten years. I have no idea how that came about. Tierney abused him in the quarterfinal.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

In case anybody's wondering - here's the home schedule - 7 games
Season starts a week EARLIER than last year

2/2 1 PM Towson
2/22 1 PM UNC
3/7 1 PM Syracuse
3/10 7 PM Mt. St Mary's
3/28 1 PM Michigan
4/11 1 PM Penn State
4/25 2 PM Maryland

We also know Princeton is 2/29, Navy is 3/14, Delaware is 3/17
One would have to think Rutgers is 4/4 and Ohio State 4/18? Loyola 2/9 or 2/16?
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:25 pm In case anybody's wondering - here's the home schedule - 7 games

2/2 1 PM Towson
2/22 1 PM UNC
3/7 1 PM Syracuse
3/10 7 PM Mt. St Mary's
3/38 1 PM Michigan
4/11 1 PM Penn State
4/25 2 PM Maryland
Towson, MSM, and michigan should be wins. Who wants to rate each of the other 4 games in terms of likelihood of Hopkins winning?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:25 pm In case anybody's wondering - here's the home schedule - 7 games

2/2 1 PM Towson
2/22 1 PM UNC
3/7 1 PM Syracuse
3/10 7 PM Mt. St Mary's
3/28 1 PM Michigan
4/11 1 PM Penn State
4/25 2 PM Maryland

We also know Princeton is 2/29, Navy is 3/14, Delaware is 3/17
One would have to think Rutgers is 4/4 and Ohio State 4/18? Loyola 2/9 or 2/16?
Am I reading this right that we will have TWO weekends off? Either 2/8 or 2/16 (whichever isn't Loyola) and 3/21? That would be highly unusual for this team. But then again so is having two mid-week games (especially one right after the other). Four games in a 10-day span between 3/7 and 3/17. This is assuming there won't be a surprise addition on 21st in the old Virginia slot.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”