Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
steel_hop

Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by steel_hop »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:30 am Coach Pietramala just posted this on Twitter:

2020 has just started. Can’t wait to welcome our freshmen and to be with our guys again. It starts with commitment and accountability to each other and sacrifices for each other.

@CoachPetro43

Doubt he would have posted that had he not been reassured that he would return for the 2020 season.

DocBarrister 8-)
A couple of points.
1) I've said before that I doubt he is fired. He should be fired.
2) When he wasn't fired a day or two after the lose in the opening round, sadly, I knew he was coming back
3) If the goal was for him to be fired after the Women's FF then he wouldn't be told until he came into work this Tuesday (see point 1). You don't can someone and let them hang around.
4) Apathy is worse than making bad decisions and the athletic department must be pretty apathetic to the turd that Hopkins lax has rolled out onto Homewood the last 3-4 years.
5) The fact the administration won't even notice that a peer lax program canned (and yes he was canned) their coach and won a championship in 3 years is probably not surprising.
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by HopFan16 »

I think someone may have started a 2020 thread already—hope admin will consolidate these two.

If he's back then he's back. I don't see the point of discussing the coaching situation any further unless it's to drive yourself crazy. If there's something to talk about—and it sounds like there won't be—then we can talk about it then. But until that happens, the topic of this thread is Hopkins 2020, so that's what I plan to focus on and I hope some of you will join me.

If the Jays have a good season it'll sure be fun to revisit the post above. ;)

To answer Doc's post from the 2019 thread:
DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:04 pm Now that this national championship thingy/distraction is out of the way, we should resume our discussion of what is truly important ... Johns Hopkins.

How does our incoming class look? Any freshmen likely to start?

DocBarrister 8-)
Any freshmen "likely" to start? Depends on your definition of the word but my initial assumption is that while this freshman class may ultimately prove to have some important role players, I don't immediately see any day one instant starts/impact players, but I'd love to be proven wrong. In order of likelihood to see a large amount of playing time, IMO:

1) Tim Marcille: He's the best goalie prospect we've had in awhile, and based on last season the goalie position must be an open competition in the fall. Giacalone responded fairly well when he was thrown to the wolves against Notre Dame. I liked his body language. He'll be a senior, so maybe he's the favorite to start but my guess is we'll see Marcille at some point.

2) Blake Rodgers: A very tall, athletic defender who can play up top or down low. Large wingspan, can really get out on shooters hands and be disruptive, if he's allowed to be. For the purposes of this discussion I will assume Foley is returning and thus there isn't a spot in year one for Rodgers as a close D guy but if Foley doesn't come back or there's an injury, he could slide in there and do well, I think. But more likely I think we'll see him get some run at LSM and maybe move down to close later in his career.

3) Owen Murphy: A lot depends on if Forry Smith moves back to attack in 2020. If he does, then Murphy may see time quickly as a "4th attackmen" or on EMO or yet another converted midfielder. He can do a little bit everything but the trait where he is most likely to help us as a freshman is as a righthanded shooter. IF Forry stays at midfield then Murphy will be as good a candidate as any to fill the vacant spot at attack left by Marr. Other candidates would be Baskin, Ian Krampf, Jacob Angelus. The latter two guys may get some run out of the box.

4) The Handsor/Glassmeyer/Chambers triumverate: All wing players/SSDMs/transition middies...something this team needs badly. I would not be shocked if at least one of them slides immediately into an SSDM/wing role.

5) Hunter Jaronski: Swiss army knife who can play up top, down low, with a pole, or with a shortie. Strong and athletic. We'll see if Petro finds a way for him to contribute.

6) Schreiber or Brunner: I don't know anything about these guys whatsoever, but from what I understand they are true offensive midfielders and thus will have a shot to play.

Other guys I don't know much about but have heard good things: Cole Finley-Ponds—lightning fast LSM out of Denver, Hayden Fox (Jake Fox's brother) a gigantic defenseman who also has box experience, Johnny Cohen a quick but undersized middie from Culver

This class is probably not going to be "transformational" as someone who shall remain nameless once said about a certain class and on paper it is one of our "weaker" ones if you listen to the IL rankings (though still not "weak"), but there's enough there for one to be REASONABLY hopeful about improvements in two deficiencies: goalie and SSDM wing player. I still see midfield as an ongoing concern. IF absolutely everything goes right: Zinn gets more playing time and thrives, Cattoni comes back healthy and contributes, one of the Schreiber/Brunner types surprises AND someone like Mabbett or Degnon steps up, then maybe we'll have a shot but that's a whole lotta ifs.
dms87

Post by dms87 »

steel_hop I saw that tweet this am and after watching the last two weekends of lacrosse I just sighed...
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:24 am I think someone may have started a 2020 thread already—hope admin will consolidate these two.

If he's back then he's back. I don't see the point of discussing the coaching situation any further unless it's to drive yourself crazy. If there's something to talk about—and it sounds like there won't be—then we can talk about it then. But until that happens, the topic of this thread is Hopkins 2020, so that's what I plan to focus on and I hope some of you will join me.

If the Jays have a good season it'll sure be fun to revisit the post above. ;)
I disagree. So long has he doesn't have a contract extension and as far as we know he doesn't. The HC is a topic of discussion. If he does get an extension, my interest in Hopkins lacrosse will drop considerably.

How do you define good?
Generally, I don't really care if Hopkins has a good season next year that shouldn't save him 1 year in 5 of "good" season whatever that means doesn't cut it. If you mean "good" in that he wins a championship then, yes, he's going to get a contract extension, if that happens. I'm not holding my breath given the last decade...leopards don't change their stripes.

After, that I don't know how else you can define "good." I am sure people will point to the team making a FF as "getting back" to Hopkins Lacrosse. But, that doesn't cut it in my book - 1 FF in 6 years isn't good. Though I am also sure that will be enough to get him an extension and then going back to poor results he's shown the last 4 years after he allegedly figured it out in 2015 (ignore the only reason they made the tournament was because they won the B1G championship).

How about this. Hopkins goes 9-6 or so. Has a home game, wins it and then gets blasted in the QFs. Does that qualify as a good season? Except for 2015 those are the best results for the program since 2010. To me that is just the same team, different year.

The longer he is around the more time he wastes the talent of Epstein and others playing an antiquated style of lacrosse.
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

I expected no change at the top and it appears that it the case. I assume with no change at the top, we should expect no change with the assistants as well. Maybe the kids will step up like they did at the end of the season and play on fire for the entire season. Can only hope that those who deserve the most playing time will get it. It is sad to see such a proud historic program fall into such complacent acceptance. New year, new hope for fans?
DMac

Post by DMac »

"leopards don't change their stripes"????
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-Congrats to UVA and Penn State on their seasons. Tiffany/father connection and the picture of Tambroni with his kids were my 2 favorite moments of the weekend.
-IL posted that there are kids-none of ours in the ncaa transfer portal already. We've lost 1-3 kids either to transfers or leaving the program a year so something to watch.
-I know navy is an important rival but how do you leave off a UVA program that is also a rival and now a national champion for the midshipmen on the schedule next year? Yes the terps, syracuse, penn state should be top 5/10 programs next year but Loyola and Towson graduate a ton of talent this spring making it uncertain they'll be top 5/10 games again next year. Rutgers/Princeton/Ohio State/UNC I'll wait to see look a heads for but they missed the ncaa tournament for various reasons. Given how important uva is for sos, qw, rpi in addition to the fact that dropping them opens that up for another team we might be seeing on the bubble I don't see the upside. I'd love to see navy, but how do you drop a national champion?
-I've forgotten the other schedule stuff as to what is officially locked in and when the big 10 renewal comes into play.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:20 am -IL posted that there are kids-none of ours in the ncaa transfer portal already. We've lost 1-3 kids either to transfers or leaving the program a year so something to watch.
Where are you seeing this stuff about transfers?
jhu06 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:20 am-I know navy is an important rival but how do you leave off a UVA program that is also a rival and now a national champion for the midshipmen on the schedule next year? Yes the terps, syracuse, penn state should be top 5/10 programs next year but Loyola and Towson graduate a ton of talent this spring making it uncertain they'll be top 5/10 games again next year. Rutgers/Princeton/Ohio State/UNC I'll wait to see look a heads for but they missed the ncaa tournament for various reasons. Given how important uva is for sos, qw, rpi in addition to the fact that dropping them opens that up for another team we might be seeing on the bubble I don't see the upside. I'd love to see navy, but how do you drop a national champion?
Tiffany said in an interview earlier this year that they tried to make it work but the new ACC schedule forced them to move games around and they were the ones who dropped us. It's a two-way street, it's not a unilateral decision. There's a lot that is within Petro's control that warrants criticism, like refusing to play the kid who is 6'3'' with a cannon of a shot and runs like a greyhound, but not sure this UVA thing is one of them.
steel_hop wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:10 am I disagree. So long has he doesn't have a contract extension and as far as we know he doesn't. The HC is a topic of discussion. If he does get an extension, my interest in Hopkins lacrosse will drop considerably.
It is very possible that he gets—or has already gotten—an extension, and they just aren't going to announce it publicly. They'll tell who they need to tell—recruits, alums, etc.—but beyond that there's nothing compelling them to write a press release. Which gives you a convenience excuse to pretend like the job is open forever.

I would hope your interest in the team doesn't entirely hinge on who the coach is. Hopkins will play lacrosse in 2020, and the players deserve support. Saying the same things over and over again on a forum isn't going to help you get what you want.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

molo

Post by molo »

Sad to see the UVA series suspended, but Hopkins can use a breather. Maybe they series will resume in 2021, which would be great for me since they play here in odd years.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

-I know navy is an important rival but how do you leave off a UVA program that is also a rival and now a national champion for the midshipmen on the schedule next year?
That's life when you (and your rivals) join a conference. You trade schedule flexibility for the AQ. Coulda remained independent, but chose to follow the money (and AQ).

Personally, I like getting Navy back on the calendar. They are always a tough competitor.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Big Dog wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:54 am
-I know navy is an important rival but how do you leave off a UVA program that is also a rival and now a national champion for the midshipmen on the schedule next year?
That's life when you (and your rivals) join a conference. You trade schedule flexibility for the AQ. Coulda remained independent, but chose to follow the money (and AQ).

Personally, I like getting Navy back on the calendar. They are always a tough competitor.
I was not in favor of the big 10 but look at the pre big 10 schedule. albany army siena manhattan that's better than rutgers penn state michigan ohio state plus a conference tournament?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

So the Doyle Smith Cup remains in Charlottesville for the foreseeable future?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Without the Big Ten, Hopkins would have missed the NCAA tournament this year and in 2015.

Losing UVA is unfortunate but I suspect they'll get it back on the schedule in the near future, just as they did with Loyola and Navy.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

HopFan16
Ty Xanders has tweeted out some transfer info

A few notable names in the NCAA's transfer portal, per sources: @HarvardMLax middie Jeremy Magno (Under Armour AA in '16, 14g/5a in '19), @NovaLacrosse LSM Michael Ubriaco (IL's No. 87 freshman; 25 GB/13 CT) and @CuseMLAX reserve goalie Willie Klan (OSU transfer, UA AA in '15).
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

WOMBAT SAID:
Changed thread title to add 2019 to it.

And I’m locking this thread on behalf of the admin.

What? You all are shocked? :shock:

Yes, I was entrusted by admin over the past year to be helpful.

Dust a little.

Sweepers!
Just didn't want this gem to be lost...

:D
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:43 am It is very possible that he gets—or has already gotten—an extension, and they just aren't going to announce it publicly. They'll tell who they need to tell—recruits, alums, etc.—but beyond that there's nothing compelling them to write a press release. Which gives you a convenience excuse to pretend like the job is open forever.
I do disagree with this. There is every reason to announce an extension as soon as it happens. That's why it's virtually always done. You solidify the coach's standing in everyone's eyes - for good or bad. Again, if you view this class of 2019 as one where you have an outstanding shooter, some goalie and SSDM prospects - and a couple defensive prospects (who won't see the field until '21 because Rapine/Colwell/Reinson and maybe Foley are back and the rest of the offensive recruiting for the '19 class is a question mark AND you have Williams/Smith/Concannon (if back) graduating you NEED Grimes/Bauer/Raposo/McDermott etc. to replenish the cupboard.

A lame duck year with no resolution announced is the worst possible outcome.

And again - while nothing is certain in sports and life let's take the briefest of peeks at the 2020 landscape in the shot clock era:
UVA - loses 1 of the Big 5 - Conrad - but returns the other 4 and adds Shellenberger (beyond the real deal) - goalie and defense returns alot too - Rhode/Conner/Saustad/Rock etc.
Penn State - returns everybody on offense except Spillane - last go around for O'Keefe and Ament and Arceri
Duke - loses Smith and Van Raaphorst - they always seem to come up with something - loaded recruiting class
Yale - loses some mid-field scoring and leadership - Dannigelis, Sessa, Tigh - dominant face-offs Morrill, Brandaugh etc. return
Penn - loses only 2 of the players who scored more than 10 goals - also lose goalie
Maryland - returns all important offensive players except for Dubick
Apologies to Syracuse/Notre Dame/Ohio State etc. who will likely be much better next year

Even with the recent history against Maryland - Is Hopkins realistically beating many/any of those teams? Point being - probabilities say that if you are hoping the 2020 season is the resurrection of the glory of Hopkins lacrosse and the justification for keeping Petro around you may very well be disappointed.

Ubriaco was a Hopkins commit originally
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:27 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:43 am It is very possible that he gets—or has already gotten—an extension, and they just aren't going to announce it publicly. They'll tell who they need to tell—recruits, alums, etc.—but beyond that there's nothing compelling them to write a press release. Which gives you a convenience excuse to pretend like the job is open forever.
I do disagree with this. There is every reason to announce an extension as soon as it happens. That's why it's virtually always done. You solidify the coach's standing in everyone's eyes - for good or bad. Again, if you view this class of 2019 as one where you have an outstanding shooter, some goalie and SSDM prospects - and a couple defensive prospects (who won't see the field until '21 because Rapine/Colwell/Reinson and maybe Foley are back and the rest of the offensive recruiting for the '19 class is a question mark AND you have Williams/Smith/Concannon (if back) graduating you NEED Grimes/Bauer/Raposo/McDermott etc. to replenish the cupboard.

A lame duck year with no resolution announced is the worst possible outcome.

And again - while nothing is certain in sports and life let's take the briefest of peeks at the 2020 landscape in the shot clock era:
UVA - loses 1 of the Big 5 - Conrad - but returns the other 4 and adds Shellenberger (beyond the real deal) - goalie and defense returns alot too - Rhode/Conner/Saustad/Rock etc.
Penn State - returns everybody on offense except Spillane - last go around for O'Keefe and Ament and Arceri
Duke - loses Smith and Van Raaphorst - they always seem to come up with something - loaded recruiting class
Yale - loses some mid-field scoring and leadership - Dannigelis, Sessa, Tigh - dominant face-offs Morrill, Brandaugh etc. return
Penn - loses only 2 of the players who scored more than 10 goals - also lose goalie
Maryland - returns all important offensive players except for Dubick
Apologies to Syracuse/Notre Dame/Ohio State etc. who will likely be much better next year

Even with the recent history against Maryland - Is Hopkins realistically beating many/any of those teams? Point being - probabilities say that if you are hoping the 2020 season is the resurrection of the glory of Hopkins lacrosse and the justification for keeping Petro around you may very well be disappointed.

Ubriaco was a Hopkins commit originally
So what do we make of Petro's tweet then? He sure sounds like someone who expects to be back. So either 1) He's already been given an extension and they're, what, working on the wording? It should be a two paragraph release. What are they waiting for? 2) He wasn't fired, but wasn't given an extension either, creating a lame duck situation 3) A decision hasn't been made one way or the other but he's hoping to send positive energy into the atmosphere with his tweet about 2020?

The thing about this great 2020 class is...they'll only be freshmen. And we'll have lost Williams, Smith, and the entire starting defense before they come in. So even if Grimes is an immediate All-American to pair with Epstein, you still need time to rebuild your whole defense and I'm still not seeing any real solutions for the midfield issue. So even if the class lives up to the hype I'm not really sure things get "better" from a winning standpoint until 2022 at the earliest but more likely 2023 or 2024.

I think it's a bit of a fool's errand to try to project out how the entire landscape will look in 9 months. Penn was on NOBODY'S radar headed into this season. We all knew about UVA's potential but I think they reached it a year earlier than most assumed they would. Cornell was a near-universal final four pick (ranked preseason #4) but didn't even make the playoffs. Duke loses a ton—I think, for once, they be in a little bit of trouble (I also thought they were a bit lucky to make it as far as they did in 2019). Maybe now is the time to put them on the schedule.

Loyola loses Spencer, Towson loses an impactful senior class. So those are at least two opponents the Jays will probably have a better shot against in 2020 than they did this season. (Can't get much worse, honestly.) Cuse loses a decent amount, including their top 2 scorers. They get Dordevic back but I don't think there's much reason to assume they'll be "much" better next year. If you're looking on the bright side, Hopkins only loses what many here have insinuated (or in 06's case, said without reservation) to be a bad senior class. So we don't lose very much, and we get Epstein a year older and the goalie situation can't possibly get any worse...can it? So even a small step forward for this team—if a team or two ahead of them take a step back—can make a difference.

Jays went 7-6 regular season in 2019. If the 2020 schedule is the same as 2019 but Navy replacing UVA—and if you give the Jays a win against Navy (far from certain, but better chance than UVA, obviously), you're already at 8-5. Beat EITHER Towson (at home) or Loyola (without Spencer) and you're at 9-4. Of course Maryland (or even UNC or Princeton) may beat us this time which puts us back at 8-5 or worse but we've finally got the Orange back at Homewood, and OSU could have gone the other way this year. Moral of the story is I believe the Jays schedule will be easier (if only a little bit) in 2020 than it was in 2019, and if the Jays are ANY better (again, if only a little bit), things could be very different. I realize I'm playing the role of optimist and quite frankly there isn't much reason to do so based on recent history but while we're looking at what every other team loses or doesn't lose next year I truly don't think the situation is quite as dire.
dms87

Post by dms87 »

16-thank you for the constant optimism. I want to believe too. I really, really do.

I continue to believe that if you can get two mids, one on each line that can beat their guy consistently and either draw the slide or shoot and score on 30% of their shots off those dodges, it makes a significant difference on O. Hops' ball movement can be great at times. They need that trigger to open things up. Zinn showed some of this when provided the opportunity.

Gotta score 15, at least, these days to win. Hop has to many team stats on the 2nd page of the record book this year to fix everything. If the D is going to give up 14 a game on average, and the goalie is going to be in the bottom 3rd on saves along with that same ranking level on team gbs the O has to hide the other issues.

Embrace the pace changes of the shot clock, create odd man situations all over the field and be the one applying the pressure.

I know it is not this simple. But it isn't that hard either.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Without the Big Ten, Hopkins would have missed the NCAA tournament this year and in 2015.
You have no way of knowing that since you have no way of knowing who Hop would have scheduled instead of the BiG (besides MD). Replace PSU & tOSU with two cupcakes and play strong mid-major on BiG tourney weekend, and Hop coulda had 10 wins (and weaker RPI).

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”