Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by wgdsr »

angelus can play. piled up points consistently against good competition. finds space to dodge and smart looks when slid to.
and would've been the focal point of team d's.
i'd guess he'll hit the weight room.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

All four of Angelus’ goals were impressive. Various dodges, changing hands, throwing multiple fakes on the crease—-but not excessive. Scoring on a bounce shot from the perimeter. Jacob has a lot of game and should be in the mix for playing time.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:11 pm All four of Angelus’ goals were impressive. Various dodges, changing hands, throwing multiple fakes on the crease—-but not excessive. Scoring on a bounce shot from the perimeter. Jacob has a lot of game and should be in the mix for playing time.
Has the u-19 game been uploaded anywhere? I looked for it on LSN and did not see replay.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:43 am
Hoponboard wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:11 pm All four of Angelus’ goals were impressive. Various dodges, changing hands, throwing multiple fakes on the crease—-but not excessive. Scoring on a bounce shot from the perimeter. Jacob has a lot of game and should be in the mix for playing time.
Has the u-19 game been uploaded anywhere? I looked for it on LSN and did not see replay.
https://www.laxsportsnetwork.com/videos ... 9-fullgame

It was very sloppy, which I guess was to be expected for kids that had only been playing together for a few days.

Brendan Grimes actually came in through the box rather than start at attack. He missed his junior year high school season but looks healthy now. Big body, moves well, always makes the right play. Going to be a good college player.

Murphy also played on the white team's EMO unit, but didn't get many looks.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:51 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:43 am
https://www.laxsportsnetwork.com/videos ... 9-fullgame

It was very sloppy, which I guess was to be expected for kids that had only been playing together for a few days.

Brendan Grimes actually came in through the box rather than start at attack. He missed his junior year high school season but looks healthy now. Big body, moves well, always makes the right play. Going to be a good college player.

Murphy also played on the white team's EMO unit, but didn't get many looks.
Thanks. I will watch it tonight. The game is fun but there is more to the process than how the kids play in this game. The three sessions on Friday and Saturday are more meaningful. My guess is that its 80% baked going into the game. I don't envy the coaches at all.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

little surprised no one else has posted this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdnqS179A3Y

Young child is handful - very first highlight is ridiculous
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:12 pm little surprised no one else has posted this

so...... from my limited experience, this looks like a pro playing against kids. Obviously it really helps when your dad is a Division 1 lacrosse coach at the most storied program in the country.

This is like austin rivers styling on other highschoolers growing up due to the training his dad and the staff the former gave him.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:29 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:12 pm little surprised no one else has posted this

so...... from my limited experience, this looks like a pro playing against kids. Obviously it really helps when your dad is a Division 1 lacrosse coach at the most storied program in the country.

This is like austin rivers styling on other highschoolers growing up due to the training his dad and the staff the former gave him.
Hope the kid stays healthy and keeps working because if he does...he's going to be something.

Also obviously hope he plays for the Blue Jays but sometimes kids don't always want to play for dad, and vice versa. And if dad isn't still the coach at that point then you'd have to wonder if he'd even want to send his kid to Homewood—depending on the reason why he wasn't still the coach, of course.

To be putting up those numbers as a freshman in the MIAA...insane. Also believe he hurt his knee early on and was doing it at much less than 100%.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Drexel hired Tucker Durkin as an assistant: https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 6910623745
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:11 pm Drexel hired Tucker Durkin as an assistant: https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 6910623745
Tucker was/is one of the best defensive players I have seen over the past 10 years. But for Drexel's sake, I hope he wasn't in charge of the defense for Bryn Athyn - They gave up over 20 goals in five games (21, 25, 21, 22 and 24) last year. :D
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:11 pm Drexel hired Tucker Durkin as an assistant: https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 6910623745
Really surprised they don't have a running list of all the hopkins alumni/ex petro players coaching d1 in the media notes. Need to add for next year. Maybe IL can do a story on coaching trees. Would be interesting to see which coaches have the most of their ex players coaching the d1 game.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:29 pm

Dom is the real deal. Saw him play against older MIAA good players and he dominated. And it’s very unlikely he’s fully developed physically.

Will need to stay healthy and not get full of himself.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Hmmaybe he has the brains to follow Jackson Morrill and Matt Brandau... ;)
Wherever he goes, I hope he stays healthy and grounded.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Am a little surprised to see young Petro as all left....can he go rightie too (this is not a criticism)?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DMac wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:56 pm Am a little surprised to see young Petro as all left....can he go rightie too (this is not a criticism)?
He just finished his freshman season...that he's so good with one hand means he's well ahead of the curve. Plenty of time to work on that off hand.

Murphy and Grimes both made the U19 Team USA 30-man training roster. Grimes was one of just seven rising high school seniors to make the cut. The rest are rising high school freshmen.

https://teamusa.uslacrosse.org/us-under ... ining-team
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:03 pm
Really surprised they don't have a running list of all the hopkins alumni/ex petro players coaching d1 in the media notes. Need to add for next year. Maybe IL can do a story on coaching trees. Would be interesting to see which coaches have the most of their ex players coaching the d1 game.
my guess would be messere from west genny.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:46 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:56 pm Am a little surprised to see young Petro as all left....can he go rightie too (this is not a criticism)?
He just finished his freshman season...that he's so good with one hand means he's well ahead of the curve. Plenty of time to work on that off hand.

Murphy and Grimes both made the U19 Team USA 30-man training roster. Grimes was one of just seven rising high school seniors to make the cut. The rest are rising high school freshmen.

To my eye, he did not appear constrained to one hand. But he definitely has a sweet spot.
But sheesh, we're back to talking about young kids on the Hopkins thread!

Later recruiting should benefit Hopkins.

But I'm hearing rumblings that Hop is having some issues getting the guys they want.
May or may not be true. Could be some opponents' wishful thinking!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 pm But sheesh, we're back to talking about young kids on the Hopkins thread!
This is a little different MD - I only brought him up because his father is the coach and was an all time great player. It doesn't take a genius to see if he grows a little bit, gets his knee healthy, works hard - he is going to be something special. If Petro is the coach in the spring of 2023 there's maybe a greater than 50/50 shot he goes to Hopkins. If Petro is not the coach and the separation was perhaps less than amicable I put it at near zero. It's a long way off. I promise there will no other discussions of rising high school sophs from me
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 pm But I'm hearing rumblings that Hop is having some issues getting the guys they want.
Interesting rumblings. I'm not naive enough to think no one is talking to no one but given the new rules - Petro and his brethern can't reach out to 2021's until September correct? That seems like a lot of grapevine to traverse but I wouldn't know. We'll find out Sept 1 or soon thereafter.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Watching 50th Anniversary Apollo documentaries.

The Wombatress just learned the moon has gravity.

Holy turd - the value of a UMd degree.

This is a day which will live in infamy.

Meanwhile, yes, develop an offhand.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:46 pm

To my eye, he did not appear constrained to one hand. But he definitely has a sweet spot.
But sheesh, we're back to talking about young kids on the Hopkins thread!

Later recruiting should benefit Hopkins.

But I'm hearing rumblings that Hop is having some issues getting the guys they want.
I don’t think any school gets ALL of the guys they want.

So, any example of not getting even just one person can be extrapolated into hyperbole.

I’d tell your sources to take a long walk off a short pier.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”