Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldjayfan

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by oldjayfan »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:22 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:30 pm Was really hoping to land the transfer from down Charles Street. Wonder how SU was able to admit him so quickly? Do they have rolling admissions? :lol:

I guess a small part of me is pleased we don't totally bend the rules for a lacrosse player..
who says that you don't?
Operative word in my statement was "totally" ;)
DMac

Post by DMac »

As opposed to Cuse where they pretty much just make their own rules.

Word about town is that Chase read a lot of negative stuff about Hop. The best not getting any PT, a D that can't comprehend and execute schemes, possible/probable lame duck coach, an uninterested AD. Guess he said phuk dat, I aint walkin' into that hornet's nest. Not sure about where he read all that stuff, couldn't confirm it either, but that's what I heard.

Hop being on the list of possible landing spots for the transfer was like being in the top 100 on the Tewaaraton watch list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DMac wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:40 pm As opposed to Cuse where they pretty much just make their own rules.

Word about town is that Chase read a lot of negative stuff about Hop. The best not getting any PT, a D that can't comprehend and execute schemes, possible/probable lame duck coach, an uninterested AD. Guess he said phuk dat, I aint walkin' into that hornet's nest. Not sure about where he read all that stuff, couldn't confirm it either, but that's what I heard.

Hop being on the list of possible landing spots for the transfer was like being in the top 100 on the Tewaaraton watch list.
You do understand that you just insulted Chase Scanlan?

I’m sure he gave his very important decision much more thought than you have given him credit for. He landed in a good program at a good school. Hopefully, Syracuse will be a good fit academically, socially, and athletically. Best wishes to him.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

DMAC. I can’t imagine how he would ever have heard that kind of stuff either
DMac

Post by DMac »

:lol:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:22 am DMAC. I can’t imagine how he would ever have heard that kind of stuff either
Yeah. Source? Link?
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

DMac wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:40 pm As opposed to Cuse where they pretty much just make their own rules.

HAHA! Love jabbing Cuse Nation! Chase will fit in nicely at SU...was just hoping(praying) he came to Hop!
DMac

Post by DMac »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:09 am
OCanada wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:22 am DMAC. I can’t imagine how he would ever have heard that kind of stuff either
Yeah. Source? Link?
Not for certain, but maybe here?
viewtopic.php?f=290&t=1287
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I thought the issue was that Hop didn't have his preferred major.
Isn't he originally from the upstate NY area?
He must love cold weather.
He would have ridden the pine anyway at Hop while upper classmen played ahead of him.
:lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Irving, NY.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving,_New_York

This sure sounds like a kid who would feel mighty comfortable in Onondaga County.
https://www.laxsportsnetwork.com/videos ... llege-more
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Love this nonsense. A former Hopkins player had his recruiting video up for years. It showed a hs gpa of 2.8+class rank of 300/400. Unless your name is bloomberg, you use the laughlin/macy consulting coach or your father is a sheikh/chinese industrialist planning to donate greater than 6 figures to Hop you're not getting in with that and most kids with 3.8s and top 5-10 percent rankings don't get in anyway. There's no category of applicants that get more rules bent for it applying to Hopkins than athletes and lacrosse players would be first to eat at that buffet. "Hornets nest"-look at the team instagram page, look at the low crowds, look at the team twitter thing, the only place you see any criticism of the program anywhere is here and 1 ff in a decade it's merited. The syracuse.com+nytimes.com stories on cuse lacrosse interviewed their loyalists and you could hear the same pains many of you go to not wanting to criticize the program but not wanting to say "this is ok" which is what the proud uva, unc, umd, navy and princeton folks have all sounded like at points during the duke/nd/denver reigns+rises over the last decade+ too. The ad hasn't been responsible for the defenses that've flopped in may for 11 years. Try again on that one. The Petro haters seem to say he's both a jerk who is too mean to his players and too nice because he gives kids too many chances, pick a narrative. I really wish in the dozen or so post mortems petros done since may he would've said I have no depth chart for next season and every spot is open and everyone from aa to freshmen has a shot.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

The other issue is that he just plays starters and sticks with that and no one else gets ANY playing time.
Roster sizes are huge, and he almost never puts in backups. More than half the kids on the roster never even see the field.
If you're deep into the Fourth Quarter and you're winning big or you're losing big you should put in your backups. Coaching 101.
That's the only way to develop depth. He'd rather run guys into the ground then play his depth. That is not a good thing.
There are so many issues that you can identify with this staff, from not playing their best players to player development and depth development.
One example: Matt Rambo was MVP of the HS UA AA game. He went on to win:

• 2017 Tewaaraton Award Winner
• 2017 Enners Award (Nation's Most Outstanding Player)
• 2x USILA All-American (2017, 2016)
• 2017 First Team All-America (USILA, Inside Lacrosse)
• 3x NCAA All-Tournament Team (2017, 2016, 2015)

And also led his team to an NCAA title. Petro has two UA AA MVP's on the roster. Neither one has developed their full potential. Neither one has reached AA status as a college player. One them had his production fall off of a cliff last year. Where's the player development?
Player development is just one of many issues confronting this program.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:21 pm And also led his team to an NCAA title. Petro has two UA AA MVP's on the roster. Neither one has developed their full potential. Neither one has reached AA status as a college player. One them had his production fall off of a cliff last year. Where's the player development?
Cole Williams was an HM AA in 2018.

I don't know what Scanlan's grades are like but the kid went on an overnight visit to Hopkins, which means that A) he was more than serious about considering going there and b) he either already had been—or was soon to be—admitted. You don't take an overnight at a school that you're not getting into. From what I understand, we may have been the preferred destination if we had a communications major, but it's tough competing with Newhouse. If he wants to get into that line of work then there's no argument there from me, it's a good program and he gets to be close to home. Best of luck, he seems like a nice kid.

Hopefully he doesn't read these forums otherwise he won't be thrilled with how the Cuse contingent treats kids who wear #22 and aren't Mikey Powell. Maybe he should ask Mr. Evans about that.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:21 pm The other issue is that he just plays starters and sticks with that and no one else gets ANY playing time.
Roster sizes are huge, and he almost never puts in backups. More than half the kids on the roster never even see the field.
If you're deep into the Fourth Quarter and you're winning big or you're losing big you should put in your backups. Coaching 101.
That's the only way to develop depth. He'd rather run guys into the ground then play his depth. That is not a good thing.
There are so many issues that you can identify with this staff, from not playing their best players to player development and depth development.

And also led his team to an NCAA title. Petro has two UA AA MVP's on the roster. Neither one has developed their full potential. Neither one has reached AA status as a college player. One them had his production fall off of a cliff last year. Where's the player development?
Wow! Thought I was reading the Navy thread for a minute!! How much of this "player development" falls to the PLAYER?!
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:53 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:21 pm And also led his team to an NCAA title. Petro has two UA AA MVP's on the roster. Neither one has developed their full potential. Neither one has reached AA status as a college player. One them had his production fall off of a cliff last year. Where's the player development?

Ok fine, but as a junior one would expect further development. Instead, the opposite occurred. He seems to have regressed at least as far the AA committee is concerned. I would say our other starting senior attackmen in 2019 regressed from his junior year as well.
Our other UA AA MVP regressed badly from his freshman year and seemed like a shadow of his former self.
The lack of player development is a serious concern among other concerns.
Last edited by Sagittarius A* on Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

oldjayfan wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:26 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:21 pm The other issue is that he just plays starters and sticks with that and no one else gets ANY playing time.

Wow! Thought I was reading the Navy thread for a minute!! How much of this "player development" falls to the PLAYER?!
Coaches who can't develop their talent don't stay around long. The NAVY coaching change is probably exhibit A for that argument.
Except at JHU where coaches stay around FOREVER despite their team's performances on the field.
UVA, MARYLAND, NAVY, PENN STATE have all made coaching changes in the last decade. NAVY has made two, determined to get things right.
HOP stays static despite mediocre results by HOP standards. :?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

A lot of potential transfers might just be playing Hopkins and trading on the Hopkins brand to get better deals elsewhere.

Highly recommend dropping all of this, and watching a bit of soccer.

That’s one sentence I never thought I’d type, but hell, there it is.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Soccer or something, all kinds of stuff out there to watch these days.....and to think some of us grew up with 3, 5, and 9.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y07jPJE_xpM
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

I don't know what Scanlan's grades are like but the kid went on an overnight visit to Hopkins, which means that A) he was more than serious about considering going there and b) he either already had been—or was soon to be—admitted. You don't take an overnight at a school that you're not getting into. From what I understand, we may have been the preferred destination if we had a communications major, but it's tough competing with Newhouse. If he wants to get into that line of work then there's no argument there from me, it's a good program and he gets to be close to home. Best of luck, he seems like a nice kid.

Hopefully he doesn't read these forums otherwise he won't be thrilled with how the Cuse contingent treats kids who wear #22 and aren't Mikey Powell. Maybe he should ask Mr. Evans about that.
16, from what i remember reading either on IL or RR, was that in the original recruiting process he was considering Loyola, Syracuse, Drexel, Rutgers and Yale. All mighty fine schools. If he was able to get into Yale then perhaps his grades in HS were fantastic to warrant admission. This could also mean that he was excelling at Loyola in their communications field and core curriculum classes to have sparkling grades to get admission into the other schools he was looking to transfer to. I get that Loyola isn't the toughest in terms of workload or has the best academics, but it's getting there and rising in quality, but still there are students who excel on the field and classroom.

So if he did an overnight at hopkins, it speaks news that he was able to get into JHU. Most kids even with a 3.8-4.0 and fantastic SAT scores and applications don't get in. At least this is my take. i could be extremely wrong
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:32 pm

Ok fine, but as a junior one would expect further development. Instead, the opposite occurred. He seems to have regressed at least as far the AA committee is concerned. I would say our other starting senior attackmen in 2019 regressed from his junior year as well.
Our other UA AA MVP regressed badly from his freshman year and seemed like a shadow of his former self.
The lack of player development is a serious concern among other concerns.

What exactly is player development in college lacrosse? is it learning new ways to dodge, shoot? A new technique to cradle? How to read defenses? I'm seriously always confused by this term when reading it because it's vague to me
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”