Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by OCanada »

Try 1971. Team only won 3 games because Scottie made a decision. No one even thought to question his competency for making it
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

OCanada wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:11 am Try 1971. Team only won 3 games because Scottie made a decision. No one even thought to question his competency for making it
Scotty coached before Al Gore invented the Internet.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Watching Rapine's hs football tapes, he was a helluva tight end. Good athlete who moved and adjusted to the ball well and made some difficult catches over the top and in traffic. Good frosh yr likely brought higher expectations but thought he was still a good close defender. Leads me to believe that some defender on squad will emerge and be good. For JHU never bereft.
GSP

Post by GSP »

No JHU players on Il's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Team AA's. Epstein relegated to HM as sole JHU player in top 58.

Only preseason predictions, but definitely sad commentary on state of program! Maybe turn out to be bulletin board material.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Chuckman wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:48 pm Besides a couple of attack spots and maybe a Midfielder, all spots are open for the taking. Going to be an interesting and exciting first game aginst Towson.
I will grant you that there are a lot of unknowns—more than usual—but I think we know a bit more than that.

We know that Smith (either at attack or midfield), Concannon, Baskin, DeSimone, and most likely Zinn are all going to get significant playing time at midfield. Assuming we run two lines, that's already either 4/6 or 5/6 middie spots taken, depending on where Smith ends up. What's unclear is just who exactly is fighting for those last one or two spots. We've heard Degnon's name a lot—my assumption is that if he's not playing attack, he'll be one of the options for midfield. Ditto for the two highly touted incoming freshmen attackmen, Murphy and Angelus. I think it's quite likely the midfield is rounded out with some combination of those three guys, perhaps with some Mabbett and Stagnitta mixed in. I have not heard a peep about the two freshman middies, Brunner and Schreiber. Brunner did not play in the fall but is healthy now.

The faceoff situation is also pretty clear—1A Prouty and 1B Narewski, both more than capable. Prouty had the better overall %, though that was inflated a bit by a few games where he got to go up against a pole. Narewski came up big in some pretty important moments—they'll both be used liberally, which of course helps with both guys' endurance/durability and hopefully prevents another Moreland situation where we only have one guy who, while talented, is basically playing on one leg and has nothing left to give come May.

That leaves the defense, which is where most of the uncertainty lies. We know Colwell will start and lead the defense. I suspect Giacalone is the favorite to start in goal, but we'll probably find out more there very soon with these scrimmages. We know Reinson will play a lot somewhere—either staying at LSM or bumping down to close to help Colwell. I have no idea who the #2/3 close D and #2 LSM will be—we've heard Calnan and McManus' names tossed out there, but that's something else that should clear up considerably over the next few weeks. Some intriguing young talent there including Rodgers, Ruddy, Jaronski, and Gomez. At SSDM, we know Hubler will lead that group. The only other guys listed on the roster are Glassmeyer, Pion, and Lilly, though I think Handsor could contribute there. So there isn't a ton of mystery outside which of those guys emerges as an option. Glassmeyer was the recipient of a glowing write-up in the IL preview.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

The weather forecast has worsened for Saturday - I was kind of pumped to go when earlier I saw mid 40's and a 50/50 chance of some rain. Now the rain probability is up to 90% with the statement of steady rain in the AM with continued showers in the afternoon. Also winds right now forecasted at up to 15. Rain up to half an inch. Friday and Sunday look fine. Maybe it will speed up or slow down
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:32 pm We need Winston Churchill.
Heck of a face-off guy in his day! :o
GSP

Post by GSP »

laxxygilmore wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:05 pm
Unless you were one of those poor SOB's at Gallipoli!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Lax Mag preview: https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... opkins-men

Not a whole lot of note except confirmation that pretty much every position has been up for grabs this offseason:
“From the middle of the field on down [to the goalie], not one person’s job was safe when they came back,” Pietramala said. “The fall, the winter and the preseason would be used [for coaches] to come to the conclusion as to which guys would give us the best chance to do the things we expect a Hopkins defense to do.”

“Normally, the [depth chart] writing would be on the wall by now, but I don’t know that to be the case with anyone on our defensive roster,” he added. “What I do know is we are building good depth and everyone is fully engaged. And we’re going to be a better defense for it.”
They still have Rapine listed as a starter, so take everything with a grain of salt, but they have Reinson staying at LSM and McManus projected as the third close defenseman. Forry is listed at attack.

Only note on the goalie competition is that Darby is "in a fight for his spot with senior Jacob Giacalone."
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-they said he's emerged. I don't know how you mention all this accountability stuff and then put that guy back in net. The thing about size is interesting. We seem to go in a cycle where we have big guys but then we get beat on gbs and lack athleticism so we go to smaller guys like danny jones who get bullied and then on it goes.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I know Petro isn’t giving some rag his starters but if the following is even close to accurate the Jays won’t get to .500

M – Alex Concannon – Sr. – 18 G, 8 A
M – Brett Baskin – Jr. – 13 G, 4 A
M – Connor DeSimone – Sr. – 4 G, 13 A
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:50 am -they said he's emerged. I don't know how you mention all this accountability stuff and then put that guy back in net.
I think that was just poor wording. I took it to mean that the fall ended with those two still in a competition—not that Darby had already won it.
flalax22 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:23 pm I know Petro isn’t giving some rag his starters but if the following is even close to accurate the Jays won’t get to .500

I have no idea if that will be accurate but if it is, it's better than what the Jays had coming into last year. Tinney, Valis, and Fraser were gone. You were basically left with Concannon, DeSimone, and Baskin/Keogh who had combined for 5 goals their freshman year. So while that's not necessarily a first midfield that will strike fear into the hearts of defenses—it's a better situation than last year. And that's not even considering the possibilities of Forry Smith helping there, an Evan Zinn sophomore leap, a Mabbett/Degnon/Angelus/Murphy emerging, etc. We got to .500 with a worse unit in 2019.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Not being sarcastic at all about this but you all have handled the Rapine news a lot better than I thought. Either Petro will simplify the defense, the year will start out really rough (Ls in 4 of the first 5 games) but see the defense become really good as the season progresses, or the year will start out rough and the wheels will totally come off. Of those 3 hypotheticals, which do you all see as most likely to occur?

Those Towson and Loyola games are going to be really interesting, as all 3 teams are retooling major parts of their rosters.

Interested in reading your thoughts.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I think the combo of the US lacrosse article and Xanders' blurb on IL.com give you so much to read between the lines on Rapine. The only question you might reasonably ask is - Why did these changes in attitudes- changes in latitudes take so long?
As to which way this all breaks - who knows - Calnan/McManus/Rodgers/Ruddy are all 6'2" or taller - I like the length this possibly adds.
There are 4 SSDMs listed on the roster - the senior is the smallest one
If athleticism is present - and the goalie can above 50 - it might trend better as the season gets along

I wouldn't necessarily bet that Smith starts at attack and the 1st mid-field is the one listed in the US mag
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:17 pm
flalax22 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:23 pm I know Petro isn’t giving some rag his starters but if the following is even close to accurate the Jays won’t get to .500

I have no idea if that will be accurate but if it is, it's better than what the Jays had coming into last year. Tinney, Valis, and Fraser were gone. You were basically left with Concannon, DeSimone, and Baskin/Keogh who had combined for 5 goals their freshman year. So while that's not necessarily a first midfield that will strike fear into the hearts of defenses—it's a better situation than last year. And that's not even considering the possibilities of Forry Smith helping there, an Evan Zinn sophomore leap, a Mabbett/Degnon/Angelus/Murphy emerging, etc. We got to .500 with a worse unit in 2019.
My point is that if Zinn is not a regular with the firsts the staff should exit stage left. My further point is would any of those three be on the first midfield with any other team in the BIG 10? The answer would be no if you're thinking about it.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:49 pm

My point is that if Zinn is not a regular with the firsts the staff should exit stage left. My further point is would any of those three be on the first midfield with any other team in the BIG 10? The answer would be no if you're thinking about it.
You know my thoughts on Zinn so I won't argue with you there but regarding that second point—Concannon had 26 pts last year (18 goals), he shoots at a pretty good percentage, doesn't turn the ball over much, redshirt senior with a ton of experience who has improved his production every year of his career following 2016 knee injury. Can initiate from up top or invert—he'd be a starting midfielder on several Big Ten teams. It's an attack-driven league as of late, there isn't an overwhelming amount of talent at midfield. It is absolutely no secret whatsoever that the position—on both ends of the field—is not a strength for the Blue Jays headed into 2020, but I do think it's in a better position than it was at the same time last year. Hopefully the reports on DeSimone returning to form are true.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Wheels wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:23 pm Not being sarcastic at all about this but you all have handled the Rapine news a lot better than I thought. Either Petro will simplify the defense, the year will start out really rough (Ls in 4 of the first 5 games) but see the defense become really good as the season progresses, or the year will start out rough and the wheels will totally come off. Of those 3 hypotheticals, which do you all see as most likely to occur?

Those Towson and Loyola games are going to be really interesting, as all 3 teams are retooling major parts of their rosters.

Interested in reading your thoughts.
I think the wheels will come off.

I’m already on record as stating I think the team will quit on the lame duck staff.

And this Rapine thing - I do not know the specifics of his situation, but my first thought was holy hell, it’s starting even before the first scrimmage. Not condemning him or anyone else - to each his own for their own reasons.

I’ve always wanted these teams to have more fun, and from that fun, hopefully more success will occur.

I’m not optimistic that the current environment is fun at all.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:03 pm

You know my thoughts on Zinn so I won't argue with you there but regarding that second point—Concannon had 26 pts last year (18 goals), he shoots at a pretty good percentage, doesn't turn the ball over much, redshirt senior with a ton of experience who has improved his production every year of his career following 2016 knee injury. Can initiate from up top or invert—he'd be a starting midfielder on several Big Ten teams. It's an attack-driven league as of late, there isn't an overwhelming amount of talent at midfield. It is absolutely no secret whatsoever that the position—on both ends of the field—is not a strength for the Blue Jays headed into 2020, but I do think it's in a better position than it was at the same time last year. Hopefully the reports on DeSimone returning to form are true.
concanon has always been a nice complimentary player, when things are going he'll more than get his, but he'll also disappear. The midfield horses are connor and zinn who really need to let it fly. we've seen athletes like zinn before (hello coppersmith and connor reed, who were great to watch run but were never able to translate enormous athletic gifts beyond that). The third attack spot gets the least attention of any open spot on the roster. Really big opportunity for someone.

Hopefully they find the right defensive personnel, but even if they do, the guys on the field have to do in games together. You back to 2009-2011 and clearing was a total disaster. Durkin graduated and enright and kelly for the life of them could never consistently communicate on d and were routinely abused w/the 2 man games.

whatever they figure out that 4 games in 10 days coming off the old acc/princeton schedule is going to be a bear. I don't remember how often they've had back to back mid week games and if that was done intentionally this year for some reason.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:56 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:03 pm

concanon has always been a nice complimentary player, when things are going he'll more than get his, but he'll also disappear. The midfield horses are connor and zinn who really need to let it fly. we've seen athletes like zinn before (hello coppersmith and connor reed, who were great to watch run but were never able to translate enormous athletic gifts beyond that). The third attack spot gets the least attention of any open spot on the roster. Really big opportunity for someone.

Hopefully they find the right defensive personnel, but even if they do, the guys on the field have to do in games together. You back to 2009-2011 and clearing was a total disaster. Durkin graduated and enright and kelly for the life of them could never consistently communicate on d and were routinely abused w/the 2 man games.

whatever they figure out that 4 games in 10 days coming off the old acc/princeton schedule is going to be a bear. I don't remember how often they've had back to back mid week games and if that was done intentionally this year for some reason.
Of note: Concannon scored in 7 straight games before the ND debacle (when no one besides Epstein and Smith did anything). Only turned it over 4 times while shooting well north of 30%. That was as the 4th option at best in the offense. Who knows how many points he'd have in a system like Penn State's, but that's solid production. Not spectacular, but solid. Check out the numbers from some of the first-line middies on other Big Ten teams. Maryland and Michigan only had two guys with more points. Ohio State and Rutgers had just one. He'd easily be a first-line guy on most of these teams. Your underlying implication though is indeed correct—he's not an "alpha." Hopefully Zinn can be that guy.

I doubt the two midweek games were on purpose. Navy took Delaware's spot on the schedule, but we still owed Delaware a visit to Newark this year, and they probably weren't available the following weekend (the 21st), so that game had to get moved to during the week. It is far from ideal—I am on the record as terrified about that Delaware game. But trying to focus on Towson first.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

GSP wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:48 pm
laxxygilmore wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:05 pm
Unless you were one of those poor SOB's at Gallipoli!
Freshman year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”