Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:31 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:59 pm Overall - agree - in the olden days - seat numbers would have been useful but except for Homecoming seat numbers are not required. People buy the season ticket package for the opportunity to get parking passes too.

'16 if I go I will be happy to TRY to report on things - but if they switch pinnies - that is going to make it tough. Goalie should be easy because Giacalone is a lefty. Should be fairly easy to pick out Smith too but other than that - I'm not sure I'll know Calnan from Rodgers from McManus or Glassmeyer from Pion etc. etc.

According to Wombat we are already doomed so no need to worry about that question
They ARE doomed. But in a good way. Suckitude will bring change.

Having an outstanding season could be the absolute worst thing at this moment for the long term health of the program.

And wait until you hear some of the stories behind the already Departeds.
Hmmm ... then The Johns Hopkins University Blue Jays lacrosse program may indeed be doomed, since this flawed but talented team has the potential to reach the Final Four this season.

Lots of good talent on this team (vastly underestimated by most) ... just need to see if Petro and the boys can put all the pieces together. In recent seasons, Hopkins lacrosse team has been less than the sum of its parts. The parts are there ... can Petro, his staff, and his captains form the team into something special?

We’ll see ....

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Rain teased going away for a bit this morning but is back now. Hopefully it'll stop soon. Might be a decent morning for lax after all looking at the radar.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:29 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:31 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:59 pm Overall - agree - in the olden days - seat numbers would have been useful but except for Homecoming seat numbers are not required. People buy the season ticket package for the opportunity to get parking passes too.

'16 if I go I will be happy to TRY to report on things - but if they switch pinnies - that is going to make it tough. Goalie should be easy because Giacalone is a lefty. Should be fairly easy to pick out Smith too but other than that - I'm not sure I'll know Calnan from Rodgers from McManus or Glassmeyer from Pion etc. etc.

According to Wombat we are already doomed so no need to worry about that question
They ARE doomed. But in a good way. Suckitude will bring change.

Having an outstanding season could be the absolute worst thing at this moment for the long term health of the program.

And wait until you hear some of the stories behind the already Departeds.
Hmmm ... then The Johns Hopkins University Blue Jays lacrosse program may indeed be doomed, since this flawed but talented team has the potential to reach the Final Four this season.

Lots of good talent on this team (vastly underestimated by most) ... just need to see if Petro and the boys can put all the pieces together. In recent seasons, Hopkins lacrosse team has been less than the sum of its parts. The parts are there ... can Petro, his staff, and his captains form the team into something special?

We’ll see ....

DocBarrister 8-)
I’m convinced that for over 20 years, you’ve been huffing blue jay inhalants. It’s affected your brain.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

From Ty at Inside Lacrosse:
“Johns Hopkins sophomore attackman Joey Epstein was in street clothes for Saturday's three-way scrimmage against Marquette and Richmond while recovering from a knee injury. After a lower-body injury was rumored, sources confirmed that it occurred on a contact play and isn't expected to keep him off the field for too much longer. He's currently considered "day-to-day" as the Blue Jays prepare for their February 8th opener against Towson. As a freshman, IL's No. 1 recruit out of Landon (Md.) tallied 73 points on 48 goals and 25 assists, leading Johns Hopkins in all three categories on his way to earning USILA third-team All-America honors.”

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ttit/55820
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:23 am From Ty at Inside Lacrosse:
“Johns Hopkins sophomore attackman Joey Epstein was in street clothes for Saturday's three-way scrimmage against Marquette and Richmond while recovering from a knee injury. After a lower-body injury was rumored, sources confirmed that it occurred on a contact play and isn't expected to keep him off the field for too much longer. He's currently considered "day-to-day" as the Blue Jays prepare for their February 8th opener against Towson. As a freshman, IL's No. 1 recruit out of Landon (Md.) tallied 73 points on 48 goals and 25 assists, leading Johns Hopkins in all three categories on his way to earning USILA third-team All-America honors.”

Have to admit my stomach dropped when I read that, hopefully they're just being extra cautious with him. No need to risk anything for a scrimmage.

BTW, Hoponboard, you'll get a kick out of this: Cornell Willis was live-streaming the offense/defense drills against Marquette on Instagram this morning, unclear if he's going to stream the actual scrimmages. Maybe they didn't notice (or care?) because he's using his phone?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:26 am
Hoponboard wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:23 am From Ty at Inside Lacrosse:

Have to admit my stomach dropped when I read that, hopefully they're just being extra cautious with him. No need to risk anything for a scrimmage.

BTW, Hoponboard, you'll get a kick out of this: Cornell Willis was live-streaming the offense/defense drills against Marquette on Instagram this morning, unclear if he's going to stream the actual scrimmages. Maybe they didn't notice (or care?) because he's using his phone?
Cornell Willis got a feature on the men's lacrosse social media pages. As i understand it, he's an extremely passionate fan but i'm getting the vibe from this board that he's not well liked?? Is there/are there particular reasons for this?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

From the files of Captain Obvious. No Epstein = B1G Problems

I’m intrigued about a knee injury that is day to day. Can’t just be a bruise.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:45 am From the files of Captain Obvious. No Epstein = B1G Problems

Can be any number of things—hyperextension, mild MCL sprain, even a bruise can be quite painful and swell up and force you to miss some time. The good news is it was reportedly a contact injury and that he's day to day, which rules out the dreaded ACL. Something tells me he'll be ok but obviously it's something to monitor moving forward. You never want a player to get hurt ever but in the preseason there is at least a silver lining—should get someone like Murphy or Angelus or whoever else meaningful reps against a different color jersey.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I've watched the willis video-you can only view it on mobile and there's not much you can get from it. Too bad on epstein.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:51 am
flalax22 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:45 am From the files of Captain Obvious. No Epstein = B1G Problems

Can be any number of things—hyperextension, mild MCL sprain, even a bruise can be quite painful and swell up and force you to miss some time. The good news is it was reportedly a contact injury and that he's day to day, which rules out the dreaded ACL. Something tells me he'll be ok but obviously it's something to monitor moving forward. You never want a player to get hurt ever but in the preseason there is at least a silver lining—should get someone like Murphy or Angelus or whoever else meaningful reps against a different color jersey.
An LCL sprain is painful and can take a while to heal. It’s a contact injury, usually. My son hurt his the last game of his junior year in HS and it bothered him for most of the summer club circuit. One of those things where you can play through the pain without doing any damage.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hop scored 10 in the 3 quarters
Marquette scored 4
Darby started
Zinn, Baskin and Degnon multi goal scorers
Overall impression not bad - the Warriors maybe because of their weather and the long trip didn't have their sea legs. Lots of turnovers by MU
Good effort on JHUs part- Petro as engaged and hands on in a scrimmage as I have seen in a long time
Very hard to identify folks for a while with pinnie switching
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I saw Epstein close up - would guess a lower grade sprain. Not flexing that knee very much. Two weeks? I dont know. Knowing him I might guess he will be there.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Players not dressed
Pion
Shilling
Epstein
Keogh
Lyne - poor kid - has anybody had worse luck?
Fox
W. Narewski
Burnett

Looks like Glassmeyer is seriously in the rotation on SSDM maybe Lilly too

Other random thoughts - no Cole William's on EMO
DeSimone was invisible Degnon has a cannon Gainey actually played the 3rd quarter - looked comfortable. One goal surrendered was fast break doorstep nice outlet passes
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Who played at attack for Epstein?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:46 pm Zinn
You love to see it.

Sounds like Degnon may be for real—could you discern if he was playing attack or midfield?

Nice to hear about Glassmeyer, Gainey, etc.

Thanks for the updates 51
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Zinn had 3. Run by defender RIP Rinse and repeat.
I think the first attack was William's, smith and Murphy. Angelos played alot. Never saw Murphys shot
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:01 pm DeSimone was invisible.
Invisible vs Marquette. Great

Can’t wait to see him getting the first line minutes while others rot on the bench without so much as a run to show what they can do.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:22 pm Zinn had 3. Run by defender RIP Rinse and repeat.
I think the first attack was William's, smith and Murphy. Angelos played alot. Never saw Murphys shot
Thanks for the reports, 51%. Hope Petro invests in the future and plays a lot of players early in the season.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

The second scrimmage - First off let me say I became very lazy - I got tired of trying to figure out who was who and so I just watched the scrimmage more than tracked it and a lady affiliated with Richmond had the most awesome 3 year old Black Lab to play with. Because even though you might have written down Forry Smith was #33 or Calnan was #11 you couldn't remember so it just became very tedious
Anyway:
Hopkins scored 5 of the first 6 goals and "led" 5-2 after the first 15 minutes. Williams (twice), Angelus and Prouty were goal scorers - I couldn't see who scored the other - Giacalone was in goal for that quarter
Murphy and Mabbett scored to make it 7-2 and after Richmond knocked in 2 Degnon and another Blue Jay replied to make it 9-4 after 30 minutes. The
Hopkins defense was at the other end of the field so I didn't note who the goalie was - I think it might have been Darby.
Then came the Debbie downer of the afternoon for the Jays as they were outscored 7-0 and therefore "lost" 11-9. Marcille was in goal and there were tons of subs - couldn't/didn't track them all

One note - I don't think it's going to be a big deal but they had to stop play to help Concannon off the field after a very late EMO for Hopkins. He was in the middle near the crease - couldn't tell what happened exactly. They put an ice wrap on his rib cage - might have taken a butt end to the side.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Seriously, what logic is there behind switching jersey numbers in pre-season? Is HOP the only team that does this?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”