Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Blackdoglax wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:34 am I do not think anyone was seriously saying Ole Miss was an option, Sigh. They do not have D1 lacrosse but thanks for taking a joke and trying to demean the Rebs who have no horse in the race. Classy move.
+1
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

“Ole Miss, where they redshirt Miss Americas”

https://247sports.com/college/ole-miss/ ... -37880410/

The heck with South Bend, I want to experience an Ole Miss home football game.
Blackdoglax

Post by Blackdoglax »

I have and the Groove is all its cracked up to be and more. #Epic!
BestNotMiss

Post by BestNotMiss »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:15 pm
BestNotMiss wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:06 pm Gray heading South.
Gerry Byrne heading to Harvard.
How far south is the question...
1 for 2 at this point.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

BestNotMiss wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:14 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:15 pm
BestNotMiss wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:06 pm Gray heading South.
Gerry Byrne heading to Harvard.
How far south is the question...
1 for 2 at this point.
In fairness, how many d1 programs are there north of BU? He was going south anywhere he transferred to!! 🤣🤣
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

Gilardi is an excellent choice for Stony Brook. My gut tells me that he'll do some great things, be very successful, and that he'll stick around for a good long run. He's worked with some great coaches. Very well suited for this. Another new HC hire with ties to Ohio State, BTW.

Wonder who the current D1 HC in the mix was? Matt D, and Wellner. Quality field.

Congrats to all.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Muleski wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:22 pm Gilardi is an excellent choice for Stony Brook. My gut tells me that he'll do some great things, be very successful, and that he'll stick around for a good long run. He's worked with some great coaches. Very well suited for this. Another new HC hire with ties to Ohio State, BTW.

Wonder who the current D1 HC in the mix was? Matt D, and Wellner. Quality field.

Congrats to all.
I don't at all doubt Gilardi will be a good head coach, but what are you basing that on? Having the right demeanor and experience working with quality coaches? I ask because as an offensive coordinator, Gilardi hasn't exactly been the cream of the crop. I realize that Towson isn't always the easiest place to recruit with Maryland, Hopkins, Loyola, and Navy right around the corner but their most recent adjusted offensive efficiency ranks have been: 45, 13, 32, 27, 38. Not exactly anything to write home about. The year the Tigers made the Final Four, Gilardi's offense was not even in the top 30 in goals per game. Again—maybe the guy is a great leader/motivator and can instill a solid culture at SB and that's what they're looking for above all else. Congrats to him, SBU has a lot of things going for it: fertile recruiting ground, great stadium, solid tradition. That's a team that should be competitive.
jerzyjoe81

Post by jerzyjoe81 »

And then there was one....
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

Muleski wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:22 pm Gilardi is an excellent choice for Stony Brook. My gut tells me that he'll do some great things, be very successful, and that he'll stick around for a good long run. He's worked with some great coaches. Very well suited for this. Another new HC hire with ties to Ohio State, BTW.

Congrats to all.
As a Navy fan I’am excited that Wellner looks to be coming back now that this door has closed but as a huge fan of his, I was hoping for he and his family that SB was his job. The guy deserves an opportunity and as someone who has followed his career -what this guy stands for us far greater than any result on any given Saturday.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:32 pm

Congrats to all.
I don't at all doubt Gilardi will be a good head coach, but what are you basing that on? Having the right demeanor and experience working with quality coaches? I ask because as an offensive coordinator, Gilardi hasn't exactly been the cream of the crop. I realize that Towson isn't always the easiest place to recruit with Maryland, Hopkins, Loyola, and Navy right around the corner but their most recent adjusted offensive efficiency ranks have been: 45, 13, 32, 27, 38. Not exactly anything to write home about. The year the Tigers made the Final Four, Gilardi's offense was not even in the top 30 in goals per game. Again—maybe the guy is a great leader/motivator and can instill a solid culture at SB and that's what they're looking for above all else. Congrats to him, SBU has a lot of things going for it: fertile recruiting ground, great stadium, solid tradition. That's a team that should be competitive.
I think they looked at certain points in time.
Towson was just about unstoppable on offense at the beginning and end of last season, but one would have had to watch these games to have picked up on that. Same with the 2017 & 2016 Tiger teams. I’d assume SB looked at 2018 as an aberration.
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

Congrats to all.
I'm not looking at his "production", and numbers. Nor do I believe the search and hiring committee probably was. As I think most realize, being a HC and running a program is a lot different than being a coordinator. I have met him a half dozen times, and know a handful of his close friends, some from that extended Ohio State group. I just think he has the right "DNA' to be a good HC. Put together a good staff, be a very good recruiter, and as I said be very happy to have that job and not immediately looking at the next one. If I had to guess, that's a perceived risk with Danowski. And I bet Gilardi brings a perception of more energy and boundless enthusiasm than Wellner does. Wellner is very solid, for sure. All good choices, IMO. I have no idea who the current D1 HC involved is. Obviously he does not want it out there, and it's confidential. If you made me guess....Galloway, maybe Chris Feifs. Interesting that Gilardi would be the choice over a current coach. Again, I am guessing that the person, the guy, the interpersonal skills and EQ is what sold those doing the hiring, very convincingly. Not the numbers. Could be the right move, could be an oversight.

And, like them all, he probably has great people in his camp. I've served on a number of search committees, in the Ivy League and in the DIII NESCAC and Liberty League. So very different. Among other things, no need to manage scholarships. Funny how every one has it's own "personality" that develops based on not only the makeup of the committee, but the candidates. I've been involved with hiring when it was pretty much a committee wide "gut" feeling. Or the gut feeling on behalf of the AD that he wanted this one particular guy to work for him. Or a committee dominated by 2-3 people. I have interviewed coaches who came with very detailed metrics, written plans, systematic ways of ranking recruits, etc. Able to quantify everything. And when the committee was in the mode that a candidate's record, metrics, rankings, were compelling, thetas a big plus. Sometimes it's who the coach has worked with, both coaches and athletes. And despite all of that, If you get it right 51% of the time, that's good. It's even worse when you make your first offer and it's turned down, then candidate number two may have already accepted another offer, candidate number three is not that excited, and YOU'RE not excited about number four. I have been in pretty heated conversations: "This is not the right person. Not the right fit," while half of the group was fixated on his metrics, and convinced! I'm not suggesting that AG was not their first choice and their guy right out of the box. Probably was.

Me, with Gilardi, it's my gut. I've met him, and had a couple of good conversations and felt that he's "got it." I also like guys who do not move around like crazy, and take some time before becoming HC's. He's been at Towson for a while, in what I think might be a tough job.

We'll see. Good opportunity at SB with a lot of upside. Hope it works out well, for all of their stakeholders and that people give it enough time. Always my peeve with anybody going into a new job. It takes a lot longer than most fans of the program believe it should. Seems universal.

I could very easily be proven to be out to lunch on this one.....sure would not be the first time.

I hope that Wellner is back at the USNA for a bit as well. He'll get the right HC job for him at the right time. Seems like he could be a huge help to Amplo. I do not now either of them. Just my gut reaction.

Anybody curious besides me about who Andy Shay hires as his coordinators, BTW? Good jobs, good everything.
GBMan

Post by GBMan »

Muleski wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:32 pm

Congrats to all.
I'm not looking at his "production", and numbers. Nor do I believe the search and hiring committee probably was. As I think most realize, being a HC and running a program is a lot different than being a coordinator. I have met him a half dozen times, and know a handful of his close friends, some from that extended Ohio State group. I just think he has the right "DNA' to be a good HC. Put together a good staff, be a very good recruiter, and as I said be very happy to have that job and not immediately looking at the next one. If I had to guess, that's a perceived risk with Danowski. And I bet Gilardi brings a perception of more energy and boundless enthusiasm than Wellner does. Wellner is very solid, for sure. All good choices, IMO. I have no idea who the current D1 HC involved is. Obviously he does not want it out there, and it's confidential. If you made me guess....Galloway, maybe Chris Feifs. Interesting that Gilardi would be the choice over a current coach. Again, I am guessing that the person, the guy, the interpersonal skills and EQ is what sold those doing the hiring, very convincingly. Not the numbers. Could be the right move, could be an oversight.

And, like them all, he probably has great people in his camp. I've served on a number of search committees, in the Ivy League and in the DIII NESCAC and Liberty League. So very different. Among other things, no need to manage scholarships. Funny how every one has it's own "personality" that develops based on not only the makeup of the committee, but the candidates. I've been involved with hiring when it was pretty much a committee wide "gut" feeling. Or the gut feeling on behalf of the AD that he wanted this one particular guy to work for him. Or a committee dominated by 2-3 people. I have interviewed coaches who came with very detailed metrics, written plans, systematic ways of ranking recruits, etc. Able to quantify everything. And when the committee was in the mode that a candidate's record, metrics, rankings, were compelling, thetas a big plus. Sometimes it's who the coach has worked with, both coaches and athletes. And despite all of that, If you get it right 51% of the time, that's good. It's even worse when you make your first offer and it's turned down, then candidate number two may have already accepted another offer, candidate number three is not that excited, and YOU'RE not excited about number four. I have been in pretty heated conversations: "This is not the right person. Not the right fit," while half of the group was fixated on his metrics, and convinced! I'm not suggesting that AG was not their first choice and their guy right out of the box. Probably was.

Me, with Gilardi, it's my gut. I've met him, and had a couple of good conversations and felt that he's "got it." I also like guys who do not move around like crazy, and take some time before becoming HC's. He's been at Towson for a while, in what I think might be a tough job.

We'll see. Good opportunity at SB with a lot of upside. Hope it works out well, for all of their stakeholders and that people give it enough time. Always my peeve with anybody going into a new job. It takes a lot longer than most fans of the program believe it should. Seems universal.

I could very easily be proven to be out to lunch on this one.....sure would not be the first time.

I hope that Wellner is back at the USNA for a bit as well. He'll get the right HC job for him at the right time. Seems like he could be a huge help to Amplo. I do not now either of them. Just my gut reaction.

Anybody curious besides me about who Andy Shay hires as his coordinators, BTW? Good jobs, good everything.
Mr. Muleski - boom, now you're on the Harvard search committee. You need to make an offer before close of business tomorrow. You're not taking no for an answer. Your pick?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

US Lax Mag reporting that Towson OC Anthony Gilardi is Stony Brook's choice.
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... head-coach
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Congrats to all.

blah, blah, I this, I that, blah, blah :roll:
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

Does Shay lose a whole recruiting season?
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

GBMan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:13 pm

Congrats to all.

Mr. Muleski - boom, now you're on the Harvard search committee. You need to make an offer before close of business tomorrow. You're not taking no for an answer. Your pick?
My pick, by a long shot, is Jon Thompson. By a LONG SHOT. He will also be Bob Scalise's pic, and likely Frisbees'. Still does not mean he will get the offer, be the choice, to that he'll take it. My absolute wrong pic at this time in his career is Sean Kirwan.
if you ask.....
And sorry, if I use "I", but I have been on two search committees when JT was interviewed. OWNED the room, and the committee. Took neither job, though both were offered. Both good opportunities. He has declined and turned down a number of them. The Harvard deal would have to be just right for him, his family, and Harvard.
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

oldjayfan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:29 pm

Congrats to all.

blah, blah, I this, I that, blah, blah :roll:
Fair point....I'll go away. Nothing to add.......
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

According to Ty Xanders on Twitter, OC Pete Poillon is heading to Marquette to be an assistant coach/offensive coordinator for newly appointed HC Stimmel. Best of luck to Coach Poillon. Now, who do we get as and asst coach for our offense that was a lot of fun to watch last season?
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Gilardi to Stoney Brook.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”