D1 Pre-Season Poll

WCLA Womens Lacrosse
hurstlax 39

D1 Pre-Season Poll

Post by hurstlax 39 »

here is the link (https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/r ... ason-polls)

D1 Top 20
1. Michigan Club
2. BYU
3. Virginia Club
4. North Carolina Club
5. Georgia
6. Delaware Club
7. Pittsburgh
8. San Diego State Club
9. Boston College Club
10. Cal Poly
11. UCLA
12. Colorado
13. Penn State Club
14. St. Mary’s (CA)
15. Texas
16. Oregon Club
17. Central Florida
18. Colorado State
19. Virginia Tech Club
20. Ohio State Club

Discussion? I think not having Santa Clara on here is a glaring omission and with them beating Cal Poly over the weekend they will certainly jump into the first poll of the year in a few weeks. Otherwise this looks like it tracks with the results of last years Nationals Tournament
It is very simple to be happy, but it is very difficult to be simple. - Tagore
tinababy

Re: D1 Pre-Season Poll

Post by tinababy »

Not much discussion occurring but I'll throw an opinion out there. Its obviously hard to rank teams preseason, especially at the club level where very little about teams is known unless you really put in effort to research them--and even that is made difficult depending on how good teams are at social media/releasing information. I will say however that I think BYU is overrated here. I would still have them in the top 10, but 2 is too high of a ranking in my opinion. If you watched any of their games at Nationals last May they had a lot of close games- but they relied on Briana Arnold who has since graduated. Of course you can say that every team graduated players, but she really was a majority of their offense. In their loss to Michigan in the Championship game, the score (11-7) makes it seem closer than it really was. 2 or 3 goals were scored by BYU towards the end of the game when Michigan put in their back-up goalie, as well as subbed in 3 of the teams injured senior players. Michigan actually had tougher games against UNC and Delaware than they did in the Championship game. I would rank it as 1. Michigan, 2. Virginia 3. UNC 4. Georgia 5. Delaware 6. Pitt 7. BYU, then the rest roughly the same but I might move Colorado a few spots higher.
hurstlax 39

Re: D1 Pre-Season Poll

Post by hurstlax 39 »

Definitely think that the "pre-season" poll was off but that is to be expected. Will be interesting to see what the rankings committee does with the first poll of the season which should be out Wednesday after the first weekend with lots of games.

Quick Recap
Michigan - went 2-2 with wins over Santa Clara and Cal Poly and losses to UCLA and San Diego State. 3 of the 4 games went to OT!! They had a lead against UCLA late and after scoring to go up by 2 lost the draw control and ended up losing in OT
BYU - went 3-0 with wins over Texas, VaTech and Colorado
Virginia - Beat Florida 8-6, not sure if they had any other games at the New Orleans Tourney ... does anyone know?
UNC - first games will be this coming weekend
Georgia - lost all 4 games at UCLA, two tight ones against Santa Clara (OT) and Cal Poly (one goal game), have some time to work on things before they host some big games at the end of March and then head to Colorado
Delaware - won't start games until first weekend of March
Pitt - went 4-0, wins over Santa Clara, Cal Poly, Georgia, and UCLA
SDSU - Double OT win over Michigan, their early March games against UCLA and Cal Poly should be some great games
BC - first games won't be for about a month ... some West Coast teams will be done with all games before they even have their first, the WCLA is strange sometimes!!
Cal Poly - went 1-2 on the weekend, Beat Georgia, lost to Michigan and Pitt. Seems crazy that their season will be done by early March and then they will have over a month off before conference playoffs.
UCLA - went 3-1, wins over Santa Clara, Michigan, and Georgia, Loss to Pitt. Good team, another west coast team with a heavy early schedule and a big break for most of March/April
Colorado - lost to BYU and VaTech, playing Duke today?
Penn State - first games will be this weekend coming up
Santa Clara - 1-2 beat Georgia and lost to Mich and Pitt

My top random number because I don't know when to stop: I am going to include teams that haven't played yet even though the rankings committee can't, I think 4-7 could shuffle in any order and 8-13 could probably shuffle around in any order as well. I am interested to see what happens with the UCF Florida State game on the 23rd and think whoever wins that might be a team to sneak up in the rankings

1) Pitt
2) UCLA
3) Virginia
4) UNC
5) Delaware
6) SDSU
7) BYU
8) Boston College
9) Michigan
10) Cal Poly
11) Santa Clara
12) Penn State