FanLax Forum Poll

WCLA Womens Lacrosse
admin
Site Admin

FanLax Forum Poll

Post by admin »

Numerous post-ers have mentioned having a FanLax Forum Poll and many have expressed an interest in being involved. The broad brushstrokes involve submitting a weekly poll (with rationale) which will be amalgamated to create a FanLax Forum Poll. All other details (e.g. How many teams, etc.) are To Be Determined. Who wants in? Post below or message me.
admin
Site Admin

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by admin »

Current thinking:

#1 - The POST-ER POLLS be Top Tens. There will also be a "FORUM POLL" which will be an amalgamate of all the POST-ER POLLS. So each of the POST-ER POLLS will be Top Tens but the FORUM POLL (unless every Post-er Poll has the same 10 teams) will be more.
#2 - The polls will be due on Monday night and will be posted on Tuesday by noon.
#3 - We'll be posting the FORUM and POST-ER POLLS within the website with a link to a thread within the relevant Forum. (e.g. D1 Men Forum, D1 Women Forum, D3 Men Forum, etc.) Within the relevant Forum, the Post-ers who submitted Polls will have an opportunity to explain their Poll as well as to add more teams if they felt limited by the Top Ten. And, of course, all post-ers will have an opportunity to offer support, ask questions, deride and ridicule the Poll Post-ers for their weak choices, etc.

That's the thinking for now.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I created the Forum Poll Page (for the D1 Men) to collect the Polls from the individual Forum Poll Post-ers.
Take a look. I'm going to do the same for you all but wanted to pause before doing this to get feedback on this first iteration.

As shown on the page, minimum of Top 10, maximum of Top 25. All picks will contribute to the cumulative FORUM POLL with #1 picks getting the most weight, the #25 pick getting the least. Let me know if you have any thoughts, questions, etc. Otherwise, enjoy making your picks. And, of course, let me know if you want to join the fun.
hurstlax 39

Post by hurstlax 39 »

I'd be in!
It is very simple to be happy, but it is very difficult to be simple. - Tagore
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

D1? D2? Both? Or both together?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Hurst, D1? D2? Both? Or both together?
Caddy Day
hurstlax 39

Post by hurstlax 39 »

I really only follow D1 closely enough to be able to do ranking.

I try to keep up with scores in D2 but don't know enough about the teams to make any sort of educated guesses there.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Perfect. I'll set it up for D1.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

hurstlax 39 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:48 am I really only follow D1 closely enough to be able to do ranking.

I try to keep up with scores in D2 but don't know enough about the teams to make any sort of educated guesses there.
You're all set. Poll due by midnight on Monday. This is the Forum Poll Page which should have the links you'll need and... I just sent you the Submit Poll Password.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Polls due at midnight. I have submissions from:

hurstlax 39
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
hurstlax 39

Post by hurstlax 39 »

come on people sign up and submit a top 10 for future weeks!!! There have to be more people reading this than just me, hahaha

don't feel like you have to know every team but you can spend a few minutes checking the scores and picking a top ten, plus then maybe it will get the boards more talkative and active :D

ALSO, i think early polls are a total crapshoot and so my poll is mostly based on last years finishing places plus the few games that have happened already for west coast teams. After this weekend I will probably try to expand out to 15 or 20 teams in my poll but may wait until the east coast teams (BC, Delaware) have startered their seasons to get to 20 teams.

For the Forum Poll you can vote for any team but remember when the WCLA coaches poll comes out that only teams who have played a game can be voted for. So some of the NEWLL and MAWLL teams won't really start showing up in that ranking until March.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

1. Polls due on Monday Night at Midnight.
2. You may want to have a Poll in hand to work off of. Trying to remember your Top Teams week-after-week is not a simply task.
3. You can now have your submitted Poll e-mailed to you so you can see your Poll. BUT... You will not have access to this functionality until after Feb. 18th.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

The WCLA D1 Forum Poll is being discussed within the WCLA Forum.

FANLAX FORUM
1 University of Pittsburgh
2 University of Delaware
3 UCLA ‘A’
4 University of Michigan
5 Brigham Young University
6 Georgia
7 Cal Poly ‘A’
8 Santa Clara
9 Virginia Tech
10 Boston College
11 Northeastern University
12 San Diego State
13 University of Virginia
14 University of Colorado
15 University of North Carolina
16 UC Berkeley
17 Miami of Ohio
18 University of Utah
19 University of Texas
20 University of Minnesota

With the Computer Rankings waiting for more games before posting their official rankings, this week’s Forum Poll matches hurstlax 39’s Poll.
Caddy Day
hurstlax 39

Post by hurstlax 39 »

Still another week before they release the first WCLA poll of the year so I guess this is all we have to go off of for now ...

GSI: was a lot of close games and definitely showed how close teams are at the top.
UCLA only loss was by one goal to Pitt on Friday, had a one goal game against Michigan on Sunday
SDSU lost in 5OT (might have been 6th OT) against Georgia on Friday night!! Game easily could have gone the other way
Cal Poly lost two tight overtime games to Michigan and Georgia.
Michigan and Georgia both went 3-1 on the weekend only losing to UCLA
Pitt managed to start undefeated.
Overall looks like the Non-California teams fared better this year but a few different calls or draw controls and that story could be very different. Lots of tight competitive games all around.

SB Shootout:
BYU went undefeated
Miami of Ohio had a solid win over Utah
Virginia assuming they beat Colorado State also went undefeated but didn't play any ranked opponents.
Utah went 3-1 with wins over Texas A&M, Western Wash, and Wash
Western Washington seems to be the top team out of the Pacific Northwest
Colorado is 4-0 right now ... should be a fun game on Friday against BYU!!
Texas split 2-2 with losses against Duke and BYU
Tough weekend for Texas A&M
Minnesota went 4-0 though played no teams with pre-season rankings. Still looks like a strong WCLL conference this year!
Cal Berkeley had some nice wins, wonder when they will post the rest of their schedule?

Games to look forward to this weekend:
BYU vs Colorado on Friday
UCLA vs SDSU on Sunday
Texas A&M vs Texas on Sunday
Ohio State vs Miami of Ohio on Sunday
Any other games people are looking at?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Polls are due (Monday) at Midnight. The results will be posted on Tuesday by noon. If you want to become a Poll-er, just let us know.
Caddy Day
hurstlax 39

Post by hurstlax 39 »

hurstlax 39 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:26 am Games to look forward to this weekend:
BYU vs Colorado on Friday
UCLA vs SDSU on Sunday
Texas A&M vs Texas on Sunday
Ohio State vs Miami of Ohio on Sunday
Any other games people are looking at?
Colorado should jump with a solid win over BYU
UCLA wins 7-5 over SDSU ... lots of tight games for SDSU but they keep ending up on the wrong side of them!
Texas A&M over Texas ... definitely look for a rematch of this game come regional tournament time!
Miami of Ohio losing to Ohio State, not sure what this means but it seems like the WCLL is strong this year and depending on how rankings sort out could get a few teams into nationals
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

The FanLax Computer Rankings are all but ready to go. And we fully plan to include the Computer Rankings in the Forum Rankings. But, before we do, I want to make sure that nobody has a brain hemorrhage when they see the rankings. The Computer Rankings currently are based on each team's 1 Best Win and 3 Worst Losses. (As the season progresses, the ranking's will be based on each team's 3 Best Wins and 3 Worst Losses.) As a consequence, some teams that are undeniably good, based on their Best W and Ls, aren't so highly ranked. Personally, I love that the rankings are a pure meritocracy. e.g. JHU's Men's Team doesn't get a pass because they're JHU. Currently, JHU's Best Win is over a win-less Towson team that lost to St. Mary's. JHU needs a better win before we can say they truly earned their ranking. And JHU will do exactly this in their near future. But, until then, no brain hemorrhages.

Also, I want to remind people that we said that all Polls, no matter how gratuitous, would be respected as long as the Poll was relatively rationally explained. Though I'm sure we'll have more explaining to do, this is our preliminary relatively rational explanation.

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

FanLax’s WCLA Forum Polls

The FanLax Forum Rankings are an amalgamation of the Rankings of the FanLax Forum Poll-ers (below). To see the Poll-ers explanations of their rankings or to simply join the discussion, go to FanLax’s WCLA Forum.

http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/02/25/fan ... rum-polls/

Caddy Day
Oaklandlax

WCLA D1 1st Poll of the 2020 Season

Post by Oaklandlax »

D1 1st poll 2020.PNG
D1 1st poll 2020.PNG (39.08 KiB) Viewed 5260 times

Return to “WCLA WOMENS LACROSSE”