Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by 10stone5 »

Hah!

------------
I'll have to take a look at the broadcast.
No, I missed on #38.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:56 pm Agree that the stands were packed with students and the atmosphere was electric.

Anytime you beat a Tillman coached team is a great win. Period.

Wheels shared the metrics for a Maryland win:

1. 50% plus goaltending. Terps were 61%.

2. 60% face offs. Maryland hit that number exactly.

3. Less than 15 TOs. Turtles turned it over 19 times. Jays had 15.

So Terps met 2/3rds of their metrics and still lost. Credit the Hopkins 6 on 6 defense and steals by Ierlan.
Wheels is usually spot on. The low scoring helped take Wierman and the faceoff game out of it. Callahan did a nice job keeping him in check, but if this were a high scoring game, the FO deficit would have been more pronounced. In a 7-5 game it's rarely going to be the difference.

Really nice moment after the game, a bunch of Petro era alums, guys who played with Crawley, mobbed the team afterward. They all had a nice moment with Chayse too.

Can't overstate how good the shorties were today. Terps really wanted to pick on them with Spanos, but they wouldn't budge. When they switched onto Erksa and Malever, they held their ground. Coach K really knows how to coach up guys at that position. Martin, Aviles, and Raposo were all offensive players in high school and Jaronski was a pole.

Just an exhilarating day at Homewood.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:16 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:56 pm Agree that the stands were packed with students and the atmosphere was electric.

So Terps met 2/3rds of their metrics and still lost. Credit the Hopkins 6 on 6 defense and steals by Ierlan.
Wheels is usually spot on. The low scoring helped take Wierman and the faceoff game out of it. Callahan did a nice job keeping him in check, but if this were a high scoring game, the FO deficit would have been more pronounced. In a 7-5 game it's rarely going to be the difference.

Really nice moment after the game, a bunch of Petro era alums, guys who played with Crawley, mobbed the team afterward. They all had a nice moment with Chayse too.

Can't overstate how good the shorties were today. Terps really wanted to pick on them with Spanos, but they wouldn't budge. When they switched onto Erksa and Malever, they held their ground. Coach K really knows how to coach up guys at that position. Martin, Aviles, and Raposo were all offensive players in high school and Jaronski was a pole.

SSDMs did a wonderful job today. Just beautiful play from that crew. Blue Jays have the best group of SSDMs in college lacrosse, and certainly the most depth at that position.

Should note that Hopkins was 24-24 on clears today.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:33 pm Being at the game, taking in the incredible electric, positive atmosphere with 10k+ in attendance, hundreds of alums, more students at a game than I can remember in at least a decade, good vibes all over campus, a defensive masterclass gets you the Crab and a 5-0 Big regular season title and locks up an NCAA home game — experiencing all of that today and then coming here to see DocB nonstop complaining is some serious whiplash. "This is bad coaching" meanwhile the Jays literally never trailed in the game, it would defy belief if this wasn't such par for the course. Get off your couch and go to a game.

Not sure if the broadcast showed the 74, 79, and 84 teams at halftime, Kyle Harrison signing autographs, legends crawling all over Homewood. The best game I've been to in years, the most "back" I have ever truly felt the program has been probably since I was a student more than a decade ago. A perfect day and we're crying about the offense again. THEY WON. Sometimes defenses are better than offenses...........
Speaking as a Syracuse fan, it was just AWESOME seeing a standing room only crowd at Homewood once again.

Congrats on the huge win.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

With today’s win, Blue Jays currently have:

0 top-5 RPI wins

3 top-10 RPI wins (MD, UVA, Penn State)

2 top-15 RPI wins (GT, Michigan)

2 top-20 RPI wins (Ohio State, Loyola)

https://pro.lacrossereference.com/rpi-d ... ifospeivmd

Plus, they have that giant crab thingy.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:30 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:33 pm Being at the game, taking in the incredible electric, positive atmosphere with 10k+ in attendance, hundreds of alums, more students at a game than I can remember in at least a decade, good vibes all over campus, a defensive masterclass gets you the Crab and a 5-0 Big regular season title and locks up an NCAA home game — experiencing all of that today and then coming here to see DocB nonstop complaining is some serious whiplash. "This is bad coaching" meanwhile the Jays literally never trailed in the game, it would defy belief if this wasn't such par for the course. Get off your couch and go to a game.

Not sure if the broadcast showed the 74, 79, and 84 teams at halftime, Kyle Harrison signing autographs, legends crawling all over Homewood. The best game I've been to in years, the most "back" I have ever truly felt the program has been probably since I was a student more than a decade ago. A perfect day and we're crying about the offense again. THEY WON. Sometimes defenses are better than offenses...........
Speaking as a Syracuse fan, it was just AWESOME seeing a standing room only crowd at Homewood once again.

Congrats on the huge win.
And same back at you. Plenty of excitement in the Dome today.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:33 pm Being at the game, taking in the incredible electric, positive atmosphere with 10k+ in attendance, hundreds of alums...
Not sure if the broadcast showed the 74, 79, and 84 teams at halftime...
The 1979 team for me, among those three teams.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

1984a.jpg
1984a.jpg (86.07 KiB) Viewed 983 times
1984b.jpg
1984b.jpg (58.46 KiB) Viewed 983 times
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Amazing. One from CT (Avon), one from NJ (Lawrenceville), one from PA (Mercersberg). The rest from Maryland or NY (primarily LI). How the world has changed. Only know one of them personally.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

1979a.jpg
1979a.jpg (80.85 KiB) Viewed 949 times
1979b.jpg
1979b.jpg (61.37 KiB) Viewed 949 times
1979c.jpg
1979c.jpg (42.74 KiB) Viewed 949 times
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://twitter.com/College_Crosse/stat ... 3557505062

Daniels Baker PM and looks like Brian Kelly together taking pictures post game. Ron looks pleased.

Peshko has 7 goals (more than collison) in the last 4 games that they've won by a combined 8 goals. He's stepped up big down the stretch.

Nice that older brother Chauvette and Evans got some run yesterday. Sun had a story last week on Evans and some of the off field related injuries and things he's come back from.

Zimmerman nailed a number of calls yesterday. A couple of goals where maybe 15 seconds before the shot-Angelus early, collison he'd say "He got his spot or matchup" and moments later it was in the net. The other kid in the booth did a nice job too.

The kid doing the game was confused on whose broadcast it was as was Quint as he and carc have been throughout their careers. It's a Hopkins broadcast and contract. Idea they would've used Marylands version of stats for the rivalry is absurd.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

In the past 7 games against Maryland - here are the starting goalies' Save percentages
2021 1st regular season - 33%
2021 2nd regular season - 44%
2021 - BiG Championship game - 20%
2022 - Regular season - 24%
2022 - BIG Semis - 39%
2023 - Regular season - 35%
2023 - BIG Semis - 42%

Now of course - there is a significant component to the above numbers attributable to the fact that Maryland had better teams than Hopkins but Ierlan's impact yesterday almost cannot be overstated - the two save flurry absolutely stealing a goal from Maryland at a very important time and a couple of the low bullets that he kept out were outstanding. It's quite a new expereience to see 69% for a Hopkins goalie against Maryland.

Erksa made Smith and Hopkins look bad last year - I am sure Smith was focused and that's the complete AA caliber type game you want from him. Ground ball machine/not overly aggressive to the point where he runs past the play - just mean and completely on point. Malever was even less of a factor statistically so credit is due allover for the Hopkins defense.

I had a bit of deja vu yesterday - in the 2012 Hopkins Maryland game (the game where Hopkins did the throwback helmets meant to look like the buckets and the tan gloves) Hopkins led 6-3 at half and never scored again - losing 9-6. So when Maryland scored the first two of the second half it was a movie I had seen before. Glad it had a different ending.

I was not a fan of Degnon's penalty - there was no benefit to an attackman showing how aggressive he can be and taking a 3 minute penalty. He legitimately could have been ejected. You're up 3-0 - you have a halfway decent chance of recovering the ball and creating an unsettled situation and a decent shot at 4-0 and you put your team in a hole like that. Relieve your frustration at losing to Maryland by getting that ground ball and scoring. Then there's the problem of refs thinking Hopkins is a penalty laden team - not that they are wrong - but let's say you make it to Johnny U and you're scrapping to get to Philly - don't need a questionable penalty because that's your rep. This team has to stop being selfish and taking stupid penalties or there will be no possibility of a tour to see the Liberty Bell.

'06 - what is it with you and Daniels? Do you have the hots for Mrs. Daniels? Please please tell me that the guy in charge of one of the leading research universities in the world and chair of the executive committee for Johns Hopkins medicine has better things to do than think about t-shirts. If you would like to know why there are no silly t-shirts devoted to players - I'll be happy to give you the answer - there's not enough people who want to buy them - otherwise -there would be shirts.

I wouldn't fret too much anout the offense. Maryland is in fact a very very good defensive team and even without players like Makar anymore they might be better because of McNaney. They held Rutgers to 6 - Ohio State to 7 - after Malone scored in the first minute of the 2nd quarter thay held Penn State to 4 goals in 44 minutes. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't fret some - as a previous post pointed out - they miss English alot and along with Melendez and Evans being banged up - there is a lack of ability to simply run by people. Evans it might be noted - gave you 8 goals and 12 points last year with a Shot percentage of 30. This year - 1 assist - and therefore of course a shot percentage of .000. That's why you are seeing alot more of McDermott on offense and Evans to a degree. If Evans could have gone non stick side on Mcnaney that one time - he probably would have scored.

When the light really clicks on for Ayers - Hopkins may have something.

10 days of rest might really help with Melendez/Martin and Evans. Time for the wonders of Hopkins medicine to shine. Last year they of course lost in the BIG semis and were 11-5 going into selection Sunday and were seeded 5th. There's virtually no way the NCAA won't see what happened yesterday in terms of attendance and Hopkins will see Maryland in the quarters at Johhny U if they both win first round games so buckle up.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:35 am 10 days of rest might really help with Melendez/Martin and Evans.
Cheers to that. I'm sure there is more wrong with the boys than just these few, everyone could use the rest. Bauer seemed to have some monstrosity of a compression thing on his one hip/hamstring yesterday and Melendez looked like he was running in mud all game.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:05 am I'm sure there is more wrong with the boys than just these few, everyone could use the rest. Bauer seemed to have some monstrosity of a compression thing on his one hip/hamstring yesterday and Melendez looked like he was running in mud all game.
Very true Statement and all teams can say the same thing. Hard to play 12 weeks of that game and escape unscathed. I guess there are thoughts that O'Neill has been battling a bad hammy for a while. So no one is or should cry a river for Hopkins but it is unlucky to have the season ending or limiting injuries to the players that provide the same and a very important skill - dodging to create slides with speed and quickness. Name all the players that you would put in that category: Melendez/English/Bauer/McDermott/Evans/Angelus - you are now aware of Ayers to a degree and you also lost Iler who would certainly appear to possess that skill. Melendez obviously hurt - English gone - Bauer has 1 goal in his last 4 games and might be on one leg - McDermott you sacrificed for the wings most of the year - now you need him - he's one of the most worked players on the roster - Evans - clearly banged up but maybe is starting to look a little more mobile. It's a little bit unfortunate.

You are in the NCAA's - this next game will play a role in determining your path - which is incredibly important - but I would be tempted to see what I can get away with - think about what 20 days of rest and therapy might do for a Melendez for example.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Yeah other than players drive to play and handling egos / keeping people in rhythm I don't see a good reason why you couldn't "empty" parts of the bench and just let it ride in a couple weeks. With how banged up some of them seem to be and kinda how little you have been getting out of them, presumably due to that, whats the harm in giving a presumably healthy guy lower down on the chart a shot? The time you're really needing to find is for people on the offensive end and beyond existing as decoy's it's not like you're getting much production out of the people you're talking about resting.

Assuming your list of guys that really need to get off their feet is...
- Melendez
- Bauer
- Evans
- Martin

Can you not just...
- Start Ayers at attack
- Flesh out the midfield by giving Cam Chauvette more than 2 runs a game and you can backfill those now missing minutes with your Stu Phillips, Sam Teachouts, Jack Charboneaus of the roster for your third line time if compelled to do so.
- SSDM everyone just moves up their time a little so you end up seeing more Arteaga and Ince. Ince I don't think has been seeing a ton of runs recently, I think against UMD he was actually almost exclusively out there during man down?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I don't know that Melendez is injured in the traditional sense. He has been wearing some kind of brace on his ankle all season — whether that's preventative or to address a nagging issue (or both), I'm not sure. It's possible it's slowing him down. His season is reminding me a bit of DeSimone's sophomore year after a promising freshman campaign. He put on some muscle which really seemed to sap his explosiveness. Looked like he was carrying a piano at times. Melendez is a very healthy 210, built like a brick sh*thouse as they say — assuming he's back next year it would not surprise me if that's back toward 200 and maybe he's a little lighter on his feet and that's less stress on his ankles. Everyone knows what he's capable of.

I certainly see the logic in resting him for a mental/physical reset before the tournament and putting Ayers on attack, where he played in the second half yesterday. Ayers really is shifty, has a bright future, probably the heir apparent to Angelus. Good off the ground and relentless on the ride — hockey background is evident and dare I say he's got a little bit of Pat Kavanagh to his game. BUT his finishing from anywhere beyond 5 yards is an area for improvement. Not getting much velocity on those outside rips.

Evans looked jumpier to my eye, he's got his hands free multiple times the last few weeks but just hasn't canned one. Think it's coming.

If anyone needs this week off it's Martin. He is a clear-cut 1st team All-American playing through a variety of things. There are SSDMs who offer more offensively and in transition but I haven't seen someone better at the position defensively (which is their main job). Jaronski and Aviles aren't far behind.

Nice to see Carson Brown making plays again.
DerArzt

Post by DerArzt »

Homewood Field looked great! As others have said, great to see full stands. When did Hopkins resurface the field & remove the fence & football goal posts? The football team will still play on Homewood Field, right? How close was Hop to having a player ejected with the 3 minute non-releasable personal foul, or is that just not done by officials in a rivalry game?
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:24 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:16 pm

SSDMs did a wonderful job today. Just beautiful play from that crew. Blue Jays have the best group of SSDMs in college lacrosse, and certainly the most depth at that position.

Should note that Hopkins was 24-24 on clears today.

DocBarrister
Hands down the best SSDM group in college lacrosse. Every guy u run out there can be a top guy on any team in the country.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Brody was an awesome President who had an excellent view of the university, alumni, student life and knew how to tune out the outside special interest groups. Daniels thinks too much about outside special interest groups and I'll leave it there.

Cam Chauvette and Phillips and HF16s guy Koleton Marquis have shown nothing. Evans was better last year.

There was public media of what certain players dealing with reported injuries were showing physically. I'm not giving rivals the clues to find it online. But it was reassuring to see.

If they were struggling Melendez would be THE story along with penalties and faceoffs.

Tucker Durkin was quietly inducted into the schools hall of fame friday, a very nice honor for a kid who was originally a Patriot league recruit. His freshman year on the old forum Doc B declared him a future defender of the year and he was.

Ayers, Chauvette, Grimes, Raposo and Deans are X factors moving forward. You know what the rest are giving you.

It feels like there've been a lot less transition goals for them this year. PM said something about it on the media after the game and I didn't really get it. Lots of saves and cts and you'd think we'd see more goals from lsms and ssdms.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

OK. Let’s talk about Beaudan Szuluk. He doesn’t get AA attention because he’s an “off-ball” guy (BTW this is a major flaw with AA voting, all primary “on-ball” guys though the emphasis and vulnerabilities of modern defenses have really shifted to “off-ball” defending), but he’s been one of the best defensemen in the country this year. Just incredibly disruptive (there’s a reason he’s the program’s all-time CTO leader) and really never misses a slide, switch or cover. He will be missed next season.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”