2024 USILA All-Americans

D1 Mens Lacrosse
mdk01

Re: 2024 USILA All-Americans

Post by mdk01 »

I think Brandau and Kirst both had better years than O'Neill.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

From an earlier thread: "I don't have a dog in the hunt for either player, or their teams, but that's a pretty big claim which can never be proven. We do know that O' Neill got his facing much better defenders in a much tougher schedule....."

So Brandau had 13 points - approximately his per game average for the season - total when covered by two first-team All Americans, Lavelle from Penn and the (very good) pole from Albany. How did O'Neill do when covered by similar quality defensemen?
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Millon not getting HM is asinine. Former top recruit putting up 65 pts as a frosh and 3rd option on his team playing Memorial Day weekend. Would have at least third team if his name was Joey Spalina

I’d really love for someone to explain that decision … What the heck

All good. Millon is on future GOAT alert anyway. He’s the future
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Lax3 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:54 am From an earlier thread: "I don't have a dog in the hunt for either player, or their teams, but that's a pretty big claim which can never be proven. We do know that O' Neill got his facing much better defenders in a much tougher schedule....."

So Brandau had 13 points - approximately his per game average for the season - total when covered by two first-team All Americans, Lavelle from Penn and the (very good) pole from Albany. How did O'Neill do when covered by similar quality defensemen?
Just to be very clear, although I'm glad he's a finalist I don't think Matt Brandau has a chance at the Tewaaraton. By its terms it includes the post-season and Yale didn't make it. Full stop. I also recognize that the PLL Draft results, in which Brandau was the fourth attackman taken (behind O'Neill, Shelley, P Kav) represent a judgment about raw talent. Brennan O'Neill is the most talented attackman coming out of college this year. But Brandau had a better season than Brennan O'Neill (which made the USILA 1st team snub of Brandau a little irritating).

Yale and Duke had four common opponents: Boston University, Denver, Penn, and Princeton. Yale played Princeton twice, so if you take the lower of Brandau's point totals in the two Princeton games just to make it fair, here's the total in four games against common opponents: Brandau 24 points, O'Neill 12 points. O'Neill had 1 point in Duke's loss to Penn; Brandau had 5 points in Yale's win.

Yes, Yale had an overall weaker schedule than Duke but the common opponents story is a pretty good one for Brandau.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hooz123 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:01 am Millon not getting HM is asinine. Former top recruit putting up 65 pts as a frosh and 3rd option on his team playing Memorial Day weekend. Would have at least third team if his name was Joey Spalina

Signed, Millon’s daddy
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
lorin

Post by lorin »

The Orfling wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:53 pm
Lax3 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:54 am From an earlier thread: "I don't have a dog in the hunt for either player, or their teams, but that's a pretty big claim which can never be proven. We do know that O' Neill got his facing much better defenders in a much tougher schedule....."

Just to be very clear, although I'm glad he's a finalist I don't think Matt Brandau has a chance at the Tewaaraton. By its terms it includes the post-season and Yale didn't make it. Full stop. I also recognize that the PLL Draft results, in which Brandau was the fourth attackman taken (behind O'Neill, Shelley, P Kav) represent a judgment about raw talent. Brennan O'Neill is the most talented attackman coming out of college this year. But Brandau had a better season than Brennan O'Neill (which made the USILA 1st team snub of Brandau a little irritating).

Yale and Duke had four common opponents: Boston University, Denver, Penn, and Princeton. Yale played Princeton twice, so if you take the lower of Brandau's point totals in the two Princeton games just to make it fair, here's the total in four games against common opponents: Brandau 24 points, O'Neill 12 points. O'Neill had 1 point in Duke's loss to Penn; Brandau had 5 points in Yale's win.

Yes, Yale had an overall weaker schedule than Duke but the common opponents story is a pretty good one for Brandau.
Again still trying to figure out the O’Neil hype,he is not even top 30 in GPG in the D1 record books and he played with shot clock assist and points per game not even top 75. No NC.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

lorin wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:40 pm

Again still trying to figure out the O’Neil hype,he is not even top 30 in GPG in the D1 record books and he played with shot clock assist and points per game not even top 75. No NC.
Lorin, sometimes I mix my sports metaphors — but I think it’s like how people want to see a baseball pitcher throw over 100 miles an hour and strike people out versus a guy painting the corners and perhaps actually being more successful in getting outs/wins. Or the long time framing of Tom Brady as a “game manager“ because he was not as strong-armed as some contemporaries. There is a fascination with O’Neill’s size, speed, and ability to shoot the ball at ungodly speeds. So people focus on that raw talent, and overlook somewhat the reality of a season that is a little underwhelming from the perspective of the very high bar of O’Neill’s career. (I also think there’s a bit of a courtesy to recognize the reigning Tewaaraton winner with another nomination\first team American status.)
lorin

Post by lorin »

The Orfling wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:42 am

I agree if he was 5"11 and 190ibs with his career stats he would be consider like a Brandau. lol
Lorin, sometimes I mix my sports metaphors — but I think it’s like how people want to see a baseball pitcher throw over 100 miles an hour and strike people out versus a guy painting the corners and perhaps actually being more successful in getting outs/wins. Or the long time framing of Tom Brady as a “game manager“ because he was not as strong-armed as some contemporaries. There is a fascination with O’Neill’s size, speed, and ability to shoot the ball at ungodly speeds. So people focus on that raw talent, and overlook somewhat the reality of a season that is a little underwhelming from the perspective of the very high bar of O’Neill’s career. (I also think there’s a bit of a courtesy to recognize the reigning Tewaaraton winner with another nomination\first team American status.)
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Hooz123 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:01 am Millon not getting HM is asinine. Former top recruit putting up 65 pts as a frosh and 3rd option on his team playing Memorial Day weekend. Would have at least third team if his name was Joey Spalina

lol his name is Millon. Just as big a name as Spallina.

Millon had a great year and he looks to be a future star but there’s a bit of false equivalency here - Spallina walked into Syracuse and immediately got the #1 pole of every team his freshman year. And still put up more points as a freshman than Millon did as a freshman. Millon had Shelly and Cormier as proven threats and the focus of opposing defenses. A lot easier to score when you’re not the focus.
Joe Dietz Fan

Post by Joe Dietz Fan »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:37 pm

Millon had a great year and he looks to be a future star but there’s a bit of false equivalency here - Spallina walked into Syracuse and immediately got the #1 pole of every team his freshman year. And still put up more points as a freshman than Millon did as a freshman. Millon had Shelly and Cormier as proven threats and the focus of opposing defenses. A lot easier to score when you’re not the focus.
Big difference. Let's see how he does next year when he draws the number 1.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Joe Dietz Fan wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:15 pm

Come on man this is a lacrosse chat room, we all watched both play Million attacks his opponent straight on with quick feet speed and agility night and day above Spallina, he will do it next year against # 1 pole.
coda

Post by coda »

lorin wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:22 pm
Joe Dietz Fan wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:15 pm

Come on man this is a lacrosse chat room, we all watched both play Million attacks his opponent straight on with quick feet speed and agility night and day above Spallina, he will do it next year against # 1 pole.
Different games. Millon can hurt you as a dodger. Spallina can pick you apart. You wanted to make Millon be the QB this year. You wanted to make Spallina a dodger
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The Orfling wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:42 am

The Kenny powers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l6X-dajKOWM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Millom did a good job.putting up garbage pts in a wipeout to md…he wasn’t that noticeable until it didn’t matter on Sat.
StephenBaldwin

Post by StephenBaldwin »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:32 pm

Millom did a good job.putting up garbage pts in a wipeout to md…he wasn’t that noticeable until it didn’t matter on Sat.
At least he showed up at some point. You wouldn’t even know spallina dressed against Denver if not for his turnovers in the box score.

Post by 1766 »

Millon will be a great player and has much more upside than Spallina, but he was taught some lessons against Maryland. He looked like a first year in that game. It was a level he wasn't ready for. If he is in that position again, I'm sure he will be more ready.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”