Games

D3 Womens Lacrosse
lovelax

Games

Post by lovelax »

Some early games of significance last weekend. Mary Washington with big win v Wash & Lee. Surprising loss by Messiah to Scranton...game was not close. Hard to read this one as Messiah is usually pretty good but has not been the same since a strong 2017 team. Is Scranton for real?

Most teams open up this week and Nescac opens in early March. Look forward to an interesting season.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Games

Post by admin »

Good win by Haverford over TCNJ.
lovelax

Post by lovelax »

TCNJ had no answer/adjustment to an aggressive backer D by the Fords. Also TCNJ did not play its usual backer D for this game. Possibly due to graduation of its four time AA who played backer? TCNJ has a few new faces/transfers which I think contributed to the lack of cohesive attack, ball movement and untimely turnovers. Haverford stopped TCNJ's athletic drivers with the backer and the goalie played very well. Last year TCNJ lost an early game to Wesleyan then only lost to Gettysburg during the regular season. They will bounce back. The Amherst game will be a good one for them.

Haverford looked strong but managed the clock poorly late in the second half. Up by four they had three straight possessions with rushed shots and unforced turnovers. Otherwise the Haverford attack looked good with ball movement and unselfishness. The game will be a growing moment for them for future tight contests. They can make some noise in the Centennial where they have been in the middle of the pack the last few years.
Rancho

Post by Rancho »

Wow, did anyone see the Middlebury vs Bates game? Congrats to Bates! So many turnovers and ill-advised passes on Midd's part. Also, at the end of the game, ball possession probably would have given them a win, but instead, there were some inexplicable shots-on-goal. Kind of frustrating to watch. Maybe it's just Midd's first game rust and cold weather vs Bates already being in the flow of the season with two prior games under their belt? I felt bad for the veteran Midd player(s) who have high-expectations based on pre-season coverage. Just seemed to be forcing the ball too much, maybe trying to live up to those expectations. In the long run, I'm sure they'll do well. I'm excited to see the freshmen play as the season progresses. Based on their initial game, they look like they hold a whole lot of potential.

I also saw some of the Wesleyan vs Williams game. Unlike Wes' s opening game against Williams last year, they looked much more polished for this time of the season. Must have been working really hard over the off-season. I heard Coach Kim was back on the sidelines ONE day after having a baby?! Dang, what dedication. All the best to her, her team, and growing family.

Did anyone see the Colby vs Amherst game? Based on the outcome, apparently Colby has weathered the loss of a large number to graduation just fine.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Not that surprised at the Middlebury result -- except that Middlebury led by three with 6:00 remaining and couldn't close the deal. As I said on the other thread in this Women's D3 forum, "Middlebury lost some significant contributors to graduation, and will need some time to get their legs under the kids who will have to step up." Middlebury lost, in particular, Perticone and Carroll on offense and Keating on defense, and that is plenty enough to have some soft moments early this season. In any event, congrats to Bates.
lovelax

Post by lovelax »

Rancho I think Amherst really missed one of its most athletic midfielders who is still playing basketball. Also the box score indicated there were few substitutions...don't know if that had an impact on the results.

Bates looked sharp and Midd had over 20 to's. I always think the first game or two in NESCAC is the "wild west" due to only two weeks of practice before the first game. I think the fact that this was Bates' third game was a huge advantage. Time will tell for both teams.

Big win for W&L against Salisbury. Gettysburg will host them this weekend in #1 v#3. That should be a good game. Also a young F&M team is getting its legs and beat York in OT last week. After an opening day lost to W&L (W&L's third game), F&M looks like it could be a force. They face a tough test hosting Mary Washington later today. York barely survived SJF yesterday scoring two goals in the last 48 seconds to send the game into OT.

Surprising loss by TCNJ to Haverford last week too. The #2-#6 ranked teams all lost last week causing a major shuffle in the rankings. I'm very interested to see how NESCAC shakes out over the course of the season.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

D3 WOMEN: Numerous Games and League Championship Games including Wheaton (Mass.) v. Coast Guard, Mitchell v. Elms, Western New England v. Endicott, East. Conn. St. v. Keene St., U. New England v. Roger Williams, Chris. Newport v. Salisbury, Bay Path v. Southern Vermont, Smith v. Springfield, Castleton v. W. Conn. St., Cornell (Iowa) v. Wartburg, Salem State v. Westfield State, Mass. Maritime v. Worcester State, Mary Washington v. York (Pa.)

Return to “D3 WOMENS LACROSSE”