2019 Contenders?

D3 Womens Lacrosse
lovelax

2019 Contenders?

Post by lovelax »

Let's start this out for 2019. Nescac is loaded again with Amherst, Middlebury, Tufts, and Wesleyan returning strong players. Too tough to call this conference now. Alice Lee will turn around Williams but they are not there yet...

York and Mary Washington will both be strong as Salisbury graduated too many seniors to compete here. However Nestor is a great coach and always has strength in the pipeline. I think York makes its first final four in 2019. Great players returning but questions in goal.

In the Centennial Gettysburg returns its core and will vie with Washington and F&M. Dickinson could also contend with the bulk of its impact players returning. I think the Bullets win this conference again.

NJAC is TCNJ's again but Rowan continues to get better and should improve again in 2019. It will be interesting to see how TCNJ adapts to the graduation of its four time AA defender; however they play great D and return a strong goalie. Extremely athletic MF makes it hard to match up.

In ODAC W&L's AA MF should be 100% from an ACL injury suffered in the first game of 2018. Hopefully she can bring the Generals back into the primetime after an off year in 2018. The Generals keep its conference streak alive in 2019.

As usual the incoming freshman class is a wildcard...the freshman helped bring Amherst from a losing record and no NCAAs in 2017 to almost upsetting Gettysburg in 2018 and reemerging as a national power. Who will it be in 2019?
seacoaster

Re: 2019 Contenders?

Post by seacoaster »

Who/how much did Gettysburg lose to graduation? Is there a chance for a three-peat?

Middlebury lost some significant contributors to graduation, and will need some time to get their legs under the kids who will have to step up. My recollection is that Amherst and Bowdoin were both pretty young last year and should be good this year. Tufts is the wild card -- I really thought they would have finished stronger than they did.
lovelax

Post by lovelax »

A few additional other conferences.....William Smith and Ithaca will be the class of Liberty. Ithaca has all scorers returning but must replace two D and goalie. Should give Smith a run for the money this year and is still bitter (rightly so) about a missing bid to 2018 NCAA's .

Cortland in Sunyac followed by Geneseo. Geneseo started strong last year but petered out in the end.

Stevens is always tough and will probably battle with SJF for Empire 8.

Preseason polls look pretty accurate although they tend to over-rely on last year's results. There is not too much movement from final 2018 poll. Its funny how NESCAC schools move up in polls before they play any games due to higher ranked schools losing.
513BlueJay

Post by 513BlueJay »

Tufts loses 3 seniors, but only one of whom made significant contributions in 2018. Among the freshman, they have a goalie who is vying to take the starting position, and an attacker they think could be NESCAC rookie of the year. Last year their 5 losses were to W&L, Amherst, Middlebury, Trinity, and F&M. In each of those losses Tufts held at least a 4-goal lead at some point during the game. The hope is that with that experience, the young team will have learned how to finish games and surpass last year's performance. A good barometer will come in mid-March when Tufts travels to TCNJ.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Good to know; thanks 513. The NESCAC looks to be super-competitive this year. I think they start practicing Friday....
netrip

Post by netrip »

Does anyone have any idea where to find a women's D3 scoreboard that's something close to real time? I used to look at laxpower and/or D3sports.com. Thanks.

Return to “D3 WOMENS LACROSSE”