2020 Games

D3 Womens Lacrosse
lovelax

2020 Games

Post by lovelax »

Its tough to get a read on these teams this early. The NESCAC opens this weekend and we have had only a few games of note so far.

W&L had a great game v Mary Washington who I think was overrated. MW graduated 10 seniors including an excellent goalie so I think they are young but will improve. With an extended preseason, two scrimmages and a game ahead of F&M, W&L lost a game I thought they would win. Great game by F&M in its opener who has stumbled out of the blocks the last few seasons.

Salisbury looked great against Stevenson but had its game with Catholic postponed. Stevenson beaten up by the Gulls and Bullets (like last year) but will cruise in conference play. Messiah was buried by the Bullets then beats a ranked Scranton team. The Messiah transfer is paying dividends on the draw and scoring. They may surprise some teams this year.

Bates jumps on Occidental 6-0 and then runs out of gas out West. Bates early games are very helpful in Nescac play (beat Middlebury in week one last year) but it must be hard to play with only one week of practice. They open Nescac play with Wesleyan on Saturday.

Good game this week include Wednesday's York and F&M. York looks like a top team on paper and their new goalie played well in its opener with WAC. The best Nescac game this weekend is Bowdoin at Middlebury. I think these are two of the best teams in the Nescac this year. Questions in goal for Bowdoin but they return a slew of talent graduating only 3 starters and bringing back 4 AAs.

Good luck to all teams and lets get some chatter on this thread.
Matnum PI

Re: 2020 Games

Post by Matnum PI »

TODAY'S GAMES

Geneseo William Smith 3:00 PM
Manhattanville Ramapo 3:30 PM
Montclair State Stevens 3:30 PM
Mary Washington Randolph-Macon 3:45 PM
Messiah Dickinson 4:00 PM
Wellesley Framingham State 4:00 PM
Occidental Chapman 4:00 PM
N. Carolina Wesleyan Guilford 4:00 PM
Thiel College Allegheny 4:00 PM
Delaware Valley Gwynedd-Mercy 4:00 PM
Wentworth Tech Plymouth State 4:00 PM
Oswego Morrisville State 4:00 PM
Alvernia Elizabethtown 4:00 PM
Marymount Hood 4:00 PM
Moravian Arcadia 4:00 PM
Ursinus Rowan 4:00 PM
MIT Roger Williams 4:00 PM
Ithaca University of Scranton 4:00 PM
Buffalo State Nazareth 4:00 PM
Smith College Worcester State 4:00 PM
Springfield College Endicott 4:00 PM
Johnson & Wales (Providence) Wheaton 4:00 PM
Wesley Lancaster Bible 4:00 PM
Drew DeSales 4:30 PM
SUNY Poly Elmira 5:00 PM
Rensselaer Coast Guard 5:00 PM
Elmhurst Concordia Chicago 5:00 PM
York Franklin & Marshall 5:00 PM
Mount Holyoke Western New England 5:00 PM
St. Mary's (MD) Catholic (DC) 5:30 PM
Marietta Washington & Jefferson 6:00 PM
Washington & Lee Rhodes 6:00 PM
Rivier Clark 6:00 PM
Chicago Capital University 6:00 PM
Carthage Benedictine 6:00 PM
Bates College Babson 6:00 PM
McDaniel Shenandoah 7:00 PM
Carroll (WI) Beloit 7:00 PM
Juniata Chatham 7:00 PM
Virginia Wesleyan Christopher Newport 7:00 PM
Pomona-Pitzer Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 7:00 PM
Redlands Whittier 7:00 PM
Ohio Northern Trine 7:00 PM
Thiel College Muskingum 7:00 PM
Wittenberg John Carroll 7:00 PM
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wlaxpro

Post by wlaxpro »

Excited to see the season really get up and running today! I'm in the New England area so really excited to see how the NESCAC and NEWMAC teams start shaking out! Happy Lax Wednesday!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Immaculata vs. Rosemont at 4:00 pm
Maritime College vs. Union at 6:00 pm
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wlaxpro wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:31 pm Excited to see the season really get up and running today! I'm in the New England area so really excited to see how the NESCAC and NEWMAC teams start shaking out! Happy Lax Wednesday!
Can't start soon enough...
Caddy Day
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

watched the Franklin and Marshall/ York game yesterday. F&M won in 2nd OT. F&M had a 7-1 lead in the first half and the Spartans crawled back to make it a game. ;)
lovelax

Post by lovelax »

I was surprised York came back to tie it with their best scorer carded out in the first half. Credit to York for coming back. F&M looked great and York looked terrible in the first half and vice-versa in the second half. York's goalie came up big to get them back in the game. Questionable shot selection by the Dips at multiple points in the game...... shooting quickly while a man down, low quality shots, poor angle shots etc. Not surprising this early in the season. Both of these teams should be in the hunt in May,
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I see that Middlebury opened with a win over Bowdoin today. Anyone have details?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

lovelax wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:03 pm I was surprised York came back to tie it with their best scorer carded out in the first half. Credit to York for coming back. F&M looked great and York looked terrible in the first half and vice-versa in the second half. York's goalie came up big to get them back in the game. Questionable shot selection by the Dips at multiple points in the game...... shooting quickly while a man down, low quality shots, poor angle shots etc. Not surprising this early in the season. Both of these teams should be in the hunt in May,
Losing MF in the first half was huge... But York gave it a good run.
Dry fly

Post by Dry fly »

Regarding Bowdoin- Midd, close game with several substantial momentum shifts. Midd’s defense continues to be a strength despite the loss of key players to graduation. At one point, Midd played 2 down from yellow cards and was able to hold. Great performance by a first year defender. Midd’s offense performed well with the usual suspects from prior years, and two really nice goals from a middie who was mostly used for draw controls in the past. Bowdoin’s sophomore goalie had some impressive saves that kept the Bears in the game, and Bundy, the sophomore middie was dominating. Bears’ transition defense looked good too. Yup, it’s early, and there clearly were things that need work, but if today’s game is any indication, both teams should do well this season. As always, NESCAC is going to be a battle royale. Should be fun!
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dry fly wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:54 pm Regarding Bowdoin- Midd, close game with several substantial momentum shifts. Midd’s defense continues to be a strength despite the loss of key players to graduation. At one point, Midd played 2 down from yellow cards and was able to hold. Great performance by a first year defender. Midd’s offense performed well with the usual suspects from prior years, and two really nice goals from a middie who was mostly used for draw controls in the past. Bowdoin’s sophomore goalie had some impressive saves that kept the Bears in the game, and Bundy, the sophomore middie was dominating. Bears’ transition defense looked good too. Yup, it’s early, and there clearly were things that need work, but if today’s game is any indication, both teams should do well this season. As always, NESCAC is going to be a battle royale. Should be fun!
Great post; thanks very much. Amherst-Hamilton game moved to today.
Dry fly

Post by Dry fly »

For NESCAC, the game of the week appears to be Tufts-Amherst. It'll be interesting to see how Tufts, with some key losses to graduation, does against an Amherst squad that is largely intact from last season. I think Tufts will compensate and do well this season. Despite the losses, they return with some great talent. Should be an exciting game!
lovelax

Post by lovelax »

Agree on Tufts-Amherst as the best Nescac game this week. Amherst will probably be without one of their best athletes who will likely still be playing basketball. She was listed in Sunday's box score as playing (but no stats???---don't know how/if they are allowed to play two sports at once so I think it may have been a mistake)

The Midd Bowdoin game was very entertaining. Bowdoin was incredibly athletic and a great offensive team with many threats. I think Midd's mental toughness and depth carried them through on this one as they refused to lose after each team took each other's best shots. Both of these teams are still in my top 5. Even though you can't read too much into the first game or two in this conference, both teams are excellent and will get better.

W&L handles Salisbury's backer zone by repeatedly finding the open scorer on the backside for point blank shots/goals. It helps having that player stand 5' 11" but Gulls were shut down for the last 40 minutes of the game. Two weeks off certainly did not help the Gulls as their game last week was cancelled.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Drew Gwynedd-Mercy –
Muhlenberg Ohio Northern –
Concordia-Wisconsin Beloit 3:30 PM
Lynchburg St. John Fisher 4:00 PM
Fitchburg State Regis (MA) 4:00 PM
Ohio Wesleyan Adrian 4:00 PM
Hiram Bethany 4:30 PM
Wilkes Wesley 5:00 PM
Sewanee Bridgewater 5:00 PM
Allegheny Washington & Jefferson 6:00 PM
Loras Northwestern-St. Paul 6:00 PM
Salem State Gordon 7:00 PM
Linfield Aurora –
Caddy Day
Dry fly

Post by Dry fly »

I missed the Amherst -Tufts game. Any insights from those who did?

I saw the Conn College - Midd game. CC’s first two goals to tie the game were really nice, but after that, Midd steamrolled them. Midd’s defense didn’t seem quite as tight as their first game, and play was a bit sloppy. It was quite windy (with significant wind chill), as it always seems to be on CC’s field, so maybe that had something to do with it.

The must see game next weekend appears to be Tufts - Gettysburg. Would anyone agree that at this early stage of the season, the winner would be the favorite to win it all?

I saw part of the mid-week Tufts - MIT game. Tufts looked really good. I didn’t like the way they tried showboating a bit against MIT though after the score reached blowout proportions. Didn’t think that was really necessary against a team that was clearly outclassed, but still trying their best.
Badlands

Amherst season suspended

Post by Badlands »

Amherst just suspended all spring sports seasons including lacrosse.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... d-19/56132
laxrex

Post by laxrex »

Middlebury too.
lovelax

Post by lovelax »

I'm sure there are more in the pipeline. The last thing a school wants is to be the one who stays open and has a pandemic when others have closed. This is a gross overreaction and CYA by these schools who are focusing on a flu-like condition that science so far believes impacts only the elderly. We need leadership not panic. I fear the media is contributing to unwarranted panic for political reasons? Academia is only too willing to fall in line with their agenda. While the science is still in flux and I am no microbiologist, the actions by the schools are extreme. We will see if this catches on in Div 1 and 2...I suspect not. This situation is like canceling school because of a forecast of snow.....but no snow falls. What an incredible waste.

I feel terribly for the seniors of these teams who have already played their last college lacrosse and didn't even know it at the time. These student athletes are the true victims of a flu that by all likelihood would NOT have impacted them at all. If there is a NCAA tourney there will be a big asterisk for the "winner"......which is unfair to that team as well to win the NC without the usual powerhouses in the field. I think these two schools are the first of many to make this unfortunate and poorly-reasoned decision. Who know which schools will allow their teams to play come MMD in Baltimore?
Dry fly

Post by Dry fly »

Ugh, I'm so sad. Was looking forward to seeing how the D3 season would unfold. As you point out, I particularly feel bad for the seniors.

As far as I know, so far, no NESCAC school has had a documented case. If the schools want to prevent COVID-19 from spreading onto campus when students return from spring break, why not postpone or cancel spring break?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Have these suspension of games been confirmed as cancelling the whole season? Is there a chance that play could resume at a future date?

Return to “D3 WOMENS LACROSSE”