NAIA LACROSSE TEAMS

NAIA Mens Lacrosse
jakester

Re: NAIA LACROSSE TEAMS

Post by jakester »

LaxManiax wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:35 pm It will be interesting to see if Burdick coaches a game at Webber. A lot of people are scratching their heads on why a top D2 assistant, MLL assistant, and former D1 head coach would take a NAIA job. Something has to be going on behind the scenes here....I am sure we will find out shortly
100% agree with you. That is why I was guessing a move to D2 in the future. Not only do they have Burdick as HC, but they also have Joel Franklin and 3 former Tampa players - Andrew KEW, Brian Uva and Bryan Karn on staff now. Pretty good first-year staff in place.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

jakester wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:36 pm
LaxManiax wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:35 pm It will be interesting to see if Burdick coaches a game at Webber. A lot of people are scratching their heads on why a top D2 assistant, MLL assistant, and former D1 head coach would take a NAIA job. Something has to be going on behind the scenes here....I am sure we will find out shortly
100% agree with you. That is why I was guessing a move to D2 in the future. Not only do they have Burdick as HC, but they also have Joel Franklin and 3 former Tampa players - Andrew KEW, Brian Uva and Bryan Karn on staff now. Pretty good first-year staff in place.
There is _some_ past history involving D2. The man who owns Webber is an alumnus of Saint Andrews, and he purchased and merged Saint A with Webber administratively to save his alma mater a number of years ago (fallout from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools trying to kill St. A's accreditation). Something happened within the transition which led to the NCAA effectively kicking out Saint Andrews from D2. The rumor (and I have no idea if this is correct) was that Webber assumed they could just become D2 without a transition... But I do think they do desire to be D2...
LaxManiax

Post by LaxManiax »

I just don't see a school as small as Webber able to go D2. No way the SSC adds a school like Webber. That would mean they have to go INDY. The price tag with that will shut a school down really fast. Just ask a number of schools that it happened to and is happening to right now.

I think this is a typical NAIA school doing a lot of talk and then when it comes down to make a move like going D2 then dont. The #1 thing NAIA coaches love to say is....We are going D2. Guess what 9/10 times that not true.

Webber is the definition of a NAIA school. Serious lack of Academics, little to no facilities, and a very small enrollment.

Nice job on them to get Burdick and great job by him to get those assistants. I mean they can still live in Tampa and drive to Webber. However, I have a feeling once they see what the NAIA really is they will bounce quickly. That not a knock on the current coaches or players. Just the NAIA is not the NCAA and the lack of organization and lack of support is very noticeable.
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

I heard that the NAIA is at the point of having a real national championship. That might be a reason for better coaches to jump.
LaxManiax

Post by LaxManiax »

Yea they are getting close I heard too.

But you gotta think with teams still folding every year. 3 last year, 2 canceling the season I believe and now Lindenwood-Belleville is no longer a school either. Its hard to see them getting there comfortably.

The level of play is so down from even high level MCLA and NCLL teams. The bottom to mid pack of the NAIA are rosters full of kids who can barely play. But with that said, thats what the NAIA is. Schools fielding rosters of High School JV kids for the most part.

Again as I mentioned before...NAIA is all about numbers to keep the lights on.
LaxManiax

Post by LaxManiax »

Heard from the grapevine that Kimsey is setting down at St. Mary's.

Best of luck to him but more importantly best of luck to USM. They will need to make a good hire to keep that program relevant.
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

So any thoughts on how the Heart of America Conference will shake out. 11 teams I think, top 8 go into a post season tournament. Any read on the new programs.
Your preparations of today, will determine the achievements of tomorrow.
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

Is there any word on the front lines as to how the teams are looking, yes it is early but there's always news.
Your preparations of today, will determine the achievements of tomorrow.
LaxManiax

Post by LaxManiax »

I am hearing that schools are telling coaches to rework schedules to not have so many overnight trips. Also heard from another conference that they will only play in conference games. NCAA is cutting back on the number of games allowed in a season. Would hope NAIA would follow that model but who knows.

Your going to see a very strange NAIA lacrosse next season. It will be hard to tell who is really a contender if teams cant travel outside of their region and outside their conference.

Also wouldn't be surprised when fall roles around programs get cut. I know of a few schools who are in serious trouble. High tuition at a number of the NAIA schools and no promise of how the fall will look means kids aren't paying their deposits.
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

well there were quite a few programs with very low numbers, if they have kids transfer out to stay closer to home or incoming kids don't come it could be very interesting. But to be honest if they think that is the case they should be telling people now not waiting till school starts and then tell people and leave them hanging
LaxManiax

Post by LaxManiax »

LaxCoach13 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:30 pm well there were quite a few programs with very low numbers, if they have kids transfer out to stay closer to home or incoming kids don't come it could be very interesting. But to be honest if they think that is the case they should be telling people now not waiting till school starts and then tell people and leave them hanging
I totally agree but to be honest NAIA is known for knowing they wont field teams come season and wait until the semester has started to tell the kids because they want to the kids to pay tuition and housing. Its a cold move but its happens a lot in NAIA....Robert Morris did it a few years back.

Return to “NAIA MENS LACROSSE”