Prepare for No NAIA Lacrosse this Spring

NAIA Mens Lacrosse
LaxManiax

Prepare for No NAIA Lacrosse this Spring

Post by LaxManiax »

I recently spoke to a number coaches along with a few ADs....and the news about the spring isn't looking good for NAIA Men's Lacrosse.

Here is the breakdown....With all of NAIA sports moving to the spring the NAIA is floating the idea of not supporting Invitational sports. This list includes Beach Volleyball, Women's Wrestling, Women's Flag Football, and of course Men's Lacrosse. The few coaches I spoke with mentioned that they don't have the resources to host all sports in the spring and that its going to come down to which schools will be willing to field a team for the season. That's only for championship sports. When it comes to Invitational Sports the NAIA will not be supporting that season to help reduce the work load. One of the coaches did say he already has a backup schedule to play a season vs club teams, which will have to be funded by the players.

Overall its not a good look for NAIA lacrosse, and if your familiar with how the NAIA and their institutions operate. I wouldn't expect an announcement until after kids have returned to campus in the spring.
laxmarmot

Re: Prepare for No NAIA Lacrosse this Spring

Post by laxmarmot »

Or the tuition check has cleared the bank. :lol:
Your preparations of today, will determine the achievements of tomorrow.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wow. That's a shame.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Coach

Post by Coach »

LaxManiax wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:15 pm I recently spoke to a number coaches along with a few ADs....and the news about the spring isn't looking good for NAIA Men's Lacrosse.

Here is the breakdown....With all of NAIA sports moving to the spring the NAIA is floating the idea of not supporting Invitational sports. This list includes Beach Volleyball, Women's Wrestling, Women's Flag Football, and of course Men's Lacrosse. The few coaches I spoke with mentioned that they don't have the resources to host all sports in the spring and that its going to come down to which schools will be willing to field a team for the season. That's only for championship sports. When it comes to Invitational Sports the NAIA will not be supporting that season to help reduce the work load. One of the coaches did say he already has a backup schedule to play a season vs club teams, which will have to be funded by the players.

Overall its not a good look for NAIA lacrosse, and if your familiar with how the NAIA and their institutions operate. I wouldn't expect an announcement until after kids have returned to campus in the spring.

Curious as to who your sources are? Really, what conference do they coach in? I have a feeling it’s a little different between conferences. Comparatively speaking NAIA to NCAA D1 (football) - WHAC will probably take precautions like BIG10 given that they are in the same region. KCAC akin to Big12? AAC similar to SEC/ACC.
NAIA does everything NCAA does...usually just a few weeks after. The announcement about NAIA winter and spring sports is coming on/before October 5. Guess we’re all holding our breathe until then.
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

Looking for updates on the Spring. Any news on how things are will go ?
Having no Invitation Championship next year, could there be a get together late Spring for a moch NAIA Champion ?
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

Coach wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:16 am
LaxManiax wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:15 pm I recently spoke to a number coaches along with a few ADs....and the news about the spring isn't looking good for NAIA Men's Lacrosse.

Curious as to who your sources are? Really, what conference do they coach in? I have a feeling it’s a little different between conferences. Comparatively speaking NAIA to NCAA D1 (football) - WHAC will probably take precautions like BIG10 given that they are in the same region. KCAC akin to Big12? AAC similar to SEC/ACC.
NAIA does everything NCAA does...usually just a few weeks after. The announcement about NAIA winter and spring sports is coming on/before October 5. Guess we’re all holding our breathe until then.
Well it’s Oct 12, you said something would come out Oct 5th? Anything? I have heard that things are a go, at least for now they seem to change daily. It will be interesting to see how schools handle this, small staffs and at a lot of schools one field. With schools readjusting their academic calendars will that affect spring breaks trips if there is no spring break?
Coach

Post by Coach »

No word yet. The info I received said “winter/spring sports” to be decided by Oct 5.
Winter sports announced everything was on as normal - assuming no change in virus.
I apologize for the misleading info...just what I was told.
If I could speculate, I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of schools had individual plans (I.e. - limit travel miles, hotel nights, etc.)
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

I have to believe most NAIA schools are looking to reduce expenses due to the virus and possible negatives results from travel and overnights stays. This year is still a question mark as to if they will play a full season or not. No National Tournament but would still like to see a few of the top teams try to have a get together in May for an "unofficial" Championship.
Coach

Post by Coach »

Anyone have updates? Interested to hear what NAIA comes up with seeing a few D3 and D2 making the conference only decisions
Coach

Post by Coach »

Hearing a lot of schools are being faced with going conference only schedules. Lots of out of conference games with D2/D3 and other NAIA have been cancelled.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Cleary... "The Cougar Athletic Department has announced that neither the men’s lacrosse team nor the women’s soccer team will compete this spring and will rather focus on each team’s respective 2021-22 seasons."

Cleary undeclares men's lacrosse, women's soccer for spring 2021
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Spring sports are scheduled to play April 16-May 22 with practices starting April 3. The spring sports include baseball, boys golf, softball, swimming and diving, track and field and boys volleyball (South). All of those have been cleared to compete.

All but three of the NIAA's sanctioned sports are allowed to be played currently, per state rules. The three on the no-play list are football, basketball and wrestling. Lacrosse, which the NIAA does not sanction but is widely played in Northern Nevada as a club sport, also is on the "no play." Group cheer and group dance are on the restricted list, too.
Caddy Day
leeatu

Post by leeatu »

Matnum PI wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:31 pm
Spring sports are scheduled to play April 16-May 22 with practices starting April 3. The spring sports include baseball, boys golf, softball, swimming and diving, track and field and boys volleyball (South). All of those have been cleared to compete.

All but three of the NIAA's sanctioned sports are allowed to be played currently, per state rules. The three on the no-play list are football, basketball and wrestling. Lacrosse, which the NIAA does not sanction but is widely played in Northern Nevada as a club sport, also is on the "no play." Group cheer and group dance are on the restricted list, too.
This looks like it's about Nevada high school sports (NIAA) and not related to the NAIA.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

leeatu wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:45 pm This looks like it's about Nevada high school sports (NIAA) and not related to the NAIA.
I was unsure of this, too. I can't tell if it's saying no NAIA or no Nevada NAIA.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

FWIW... The NAIA Men’s Season opens to day when William Penn (IA) plays at Reinhardt (GA) at 5 PM.

https://fanlax.com/2021/02/04/naia-season-opens/
Caddy Day

Return to “NAIA MENS LACROSSE”