2019 HS Rule Changes

HS Girls Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

2019 HS Rule Changes

Post by Dr. Tact »

Posted this when it came out on another Forum....wanted to get any thoughts from HS GLax watchers...Watched the Free Self-Start with D1 last year and enjoyed the pace....

https://www.uslacrosse.org/blog/high-sc ... 019-season

https://www.uslacrosse.org/blog/faqs-on ... s-lacrosse

I love the rule, but with the variety/quality of Refs we see, will this be an easy transition? In our area (VA) the majority of refs are College rated...will this help with having the similar rules?
njbill

Re: 2019 HS Rule Changes

Post by njbill »

Doc, you beat me to it. I was going to post about the new rules on LaxPower, but never got around to it. Hopefully, the powers that be on this site will add as much HS girls content as possible.

I relied heavily on the LaxPower records and ratings in putting together my annual recap. Not sure what I will do this year. For some reason, the records and ratings are still available on my phone, though not in a very user friendly format and not on my PC. I suspect the records will disappear from my phone at some point.

As to the new rules, I would say there are three major ones:

1. Self starts.
2. Clearing out of the 8m arc of players for 8m free positions.
3. A shot released before the horn will count as a goal even if it does not cross the goal line before the horn sounds.

The new “self start” rule is easily the biggest change. Note that the rule makers have not added free movement as in college. Maybe they want to make that change as part of a two step process (?) so perhaps we will see free movement in high school in 2020.

The rule applies to fouls outside the critical scoring area, including illegal draws. It also applies to resumptions of play after a ball has gone out of bounds (except if the goalie is awarded the ball; no self starts for her).

Self starts do not apply: (1) when the game clock is stopped (including in the last two minutes of either half and OT); (2) to restraining line violations; (3) when the ball is in the critical scoring area; or (4) in the event of an inadvertent whistle.

The fouled player may restart play without waiting for the ref’s whistle, though she must have first come to a “stop or settled stance.” The player who commits the foul must immediately move 4m behind or to the side of the fouled player, as indicated by the official. All other players within 4m must move to where the refs tells them to go. Players more than 4m away must stand, as they currently are required to do.

If the fouled player has the ball or if the ball is within 1 ½ stick lengths, the player may pick up the ball and self start from the location of the foul. If the ball is farther away, it must be returned to the spot of the foul before the self start.

The fouled player doesn’t have to wait for other players to get in proper position before she self starts. Alternatively, the fouled player may elect to wait for the official’s whistle to restart. Sounds like this gives the player the option of restarting under the old rule.

If the fouled player restarts more than 1 ½ stick lengths from where the foul occurred, the official merely resets play. No foul is assessed. However, if the player restarts under circumstances where the restart rule doesn’t apply (e.g., foul in critical scoring area, last two minutes) that is a false start and the ball will be turned over. Wanna bet on how early it will be in the season before some “knowledgeable” fan hollers to a ref that the restart was illegal.

The second rule change operates to create a penalty zone in the critical scoring area when a major foul by a defensive player occurs in the 8-meter arc. All players and sticks must be 8 meters away from the goal circle above goal-line extended and the area created by the extension of the 8-meter mark to the dots and across the dots. It is hoped that this change will improve safety and limit the recurrence of shooting space calls.

As to the third rule change, some commentators have suggested that the new “release” rule is intended to make it easier for officials to tell whether a shot should count as a goal. I frankly think it is just as hard to try to watch the release and the clock at the same time as it is to simultaneously watch the ball crossing the goal line and the clock. Regardless, the new rule is like the basketball rule. Had this rule been in effect last summer at the World Cup, Michelle Tumolo’s shot from beyond mid-field right before half-time of the final would have counted as goal. Course that would have shortened Ricky Fried’s half-time speech as the players would have been hooting and hollering for most of the break.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote:Doc, you beat me to it. I was going to post about the new rules on LaxPower, but never got around to it. Hopefully, the powers that be on this site will add as much HS girls content as possible.
Its good to know that at least 2 of us got the memo to come over here....Not sure how many folks are out there searching for their fix and no board to post to...
valaxnewb

Post by valaxnewb »

Dr. Tact wrote: Its good to know that at least 2 of us got the memo to come over here....Not sure how many folks are out there searching for their fix and no board to post to...
Hey, Doc T - I missed the memo, but found this site after just a few minutes of searching the Twitter'verse today; and just in time for Woodson Fall Ball! Maybe some gorilla marketing flyers posted at Pat Cunningham...

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”