Recruiting/Prospect Camps

HS Girls Lacrosse
cltlax

Recruiting/Prospect Camps

Post by cltlax »

Does anyone have thoughts on the girls UnderArmour150 event? Looks like a decent group of coaches. Worth the time/cost to attend?
Toplax

Re: Recruiting/Prospect Camps

Post by Toplax »

IMO, UnderArmour 150 is OK if your daughter is a rising junior. Wouldn't waste the time and travel for younger class. getting in front of coaches anytime is a good thing but from experience with my daughter most are money grabs. Best advise is to have your daughter go to individual prospect camps of schools she is interested in. Usually smaller in size with direct attention from coaches. Also can get a feel for school. Go multiple times to show interest. My daughter's interest and offers were from all prospect days she attended. Also, Schoolgirls National Tourney is well worth it and feedback from head coaches I spoke with was it was most respected.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

IMO certain combine style camps can be worth the money. Oldest daughter went to Triple Threat in Alexandria VA, Max Exposure in Baltimore/College Park....Lots of exposure over multiple days.

AS far as the 150, it wasn't around when my oldest went through recruiting, so I have no direct knowledge.

Schoolgirls/National tournament is a very good tournament to attend, even in the lower divisions.

UA Underclass Games is also a very good recruiting opportunity. This one is harder to make depending on your location. For example, DC area typically has 5 teams for Schoolgirls, but only 1 for UA.

More info than you wanted ;-)

Toplax's advise on attending specific schools is also good advice, but unless your daughter knows exactly where she wants to go, it can get very expensive going to multiple schools...
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Thanks for the insight. That was my thought. She's a 2021 and got invited to UA150 this year. Seems like a good list of schools (Florida, Hopkins, Notre Dame, Richmond, Syracuse, etc.) Will likely try out for Schoolgirls. UA underclass is tough since she's the younger class in the 20/21 division. Has a long list of schools she's interested in, but I'll go broke trying to attend all the camps at those schools. Hoping to get feedback from her club so we can begin to narrow.
Sllaxdad

Post by Sllaxdad »

Attend school prospect camps and SAT/ACT prep...

Having been through this twice (boy and girl both playing at D1 school).

Process is not as complicated as presented. Here is a simple plan, after Freshman year, you should have a handle on the academic and athletic ability of your child. Have her make her college list, take a few practice tests and see where she falls on her scores/school lists... if she is not scoring well and have a few Bs (no Cs) then you can make projections (Ivy, Patriot, A10, Big East, ACC, B10, PAC 10 etc..)(same for D3) each conference has a variety of large/small schools with urban/suburban and the admission criteria is well published.

From there, subscribed to ESPN+ and watch some games. Most schools games are archived. You can measure athletic compatibility. Be realistic, its not all about the lax .. your daughter has to enjoy the school, teammates and be able to academically perform and have a social life (and maybe do some charity/community service). Look at schedules to measure travel and time away from campus. Most teams travel by bus. It is hard to study on a 14 hour bus trip and have to compete against the students that do not play a sport. There are only so many As and Bs that are issued at a competitive college.

Repeat in the Sophomore year. Go to a Fall event (Football or Soccer game), catch a hoops or hockey day, student of the day ... even go to the cafeteria, make sure she feels like the school is a good fit. In the spring, attend a practice/game. If your daughter resist, does she really want to make the commitment.

Then email the coaches directly. If they do not respond, how much confidence can you have entrusting your child to their care for 4 years... another simple measure. They are not doing you a favor by responding, they need kids who can play at their level and perform academically. It is not as large a pool as people say.

This process will narrow the pool of schools that are realistic options.

We have friends with a daughter on ND women’s team. Does not see the field and is now a junior. Recent game at Liberty University took 14 hours on a bus, attended team events, watched other girls play and then had to perform academically on Monday in classes with others who were able to study in a library or at a desk, eat/sleep on a normal schedule etc.... the reality of college lax is much different than the picture painted by the camp promoters and club team owners (sometimes the same people).

Good luck.
iloovzelax

Post by iloovzelax »

I'm just back from Summer Genesis this weekend. The summer recruiting season has officially kicked off! 40+ schools watching each of my daughter's games, and just as many at a number of others. I would estimate that at least the top 3 brackets of teams had a lot of coaches at their games, may have been more, but I didn't get to see some of the other divisions play. Probably 3/4 of top 20 college teams were there, and 3/4 of the next 50 as well, many HC's in attendance for full games. One thing about the new recruiting rules, there's not much question about where most of the coaches will be, especially early in the season. All eyes are on the 2021's. Next week with two big showcases going in parallel, the staffs will have to divide and conquer a bit more. Should be a fun (and long) summer, when looking at the combination of showcases and school camps ....
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Sllaxdad wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:13 pm
Then email the coaches directly. If they do not respond, how much confidence can you have entrusting your child to their care for 4 years... another simple measure. They are not doing you a favor by responding, they need kids who can play at their level and perform academically. It is not as large a pool as people say.

This process will narrow the pool of schools that are realistic options.
I'm not sure I agree with part of your paragraph above. I believe that current rules only allow D3 (and D2?) coaches to communicate with a PSA before Sept.1 of Junior year. So, emailing the coaches to let them know your schedule, etc. is a good idea, but you should not expect them (D1) to respond until 9/1. Sorry if I misunderstood your comment and you were talking about Junior year.
Sllaxdad

Post by Sllaxdad »

The outreaches to the coaches can/should begin prior to 9/1 of the junior year BUT with the understanding that a response will not be received until after that date. If your child has shown interest in the school/program, attended on campus camps/clinics and demonstrates both an academic and athletic ability to perform at the school, after 9/1 of her Junior year (or a reasonable time thereafter) if there is no response, that should be a sign of a less than optimal fit.

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”