Denver Pioneers 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Puck Swami

Re: Denver Pioneers 2023

Post by Puck Swami »

Personally, I'd be shocked if Brownie didn't get the gig.

But I am sure that DU posts the job as a matter of policy, and I'm sure they will also look at the list of who applies, before they announce him as next coach. That's due diligence and smart policy...But no one at DU knows lacrosse as well as Tierney does, so I can't see them picking someone who Coach T did not endorse...

As a DU alumnus, I'm sure Brown will have a lot of support from current players, fans, alums and the current lax world. He's had a front row seat assisting the best coach in the history of the game for more than a decade, built college box lax from the ground up and has a keen offensive mind, too. He's got strong recruiting connections to Canada, which also really help the Pioneers.

Some have been critical of Brown's recruiting in recent years, as he's spent a lot of time with the box game and Denver Elite. I think is more the case that other programs have caught up to Denver in scouting players outside of hotbeds, especially in Canada, Colorado and California.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

After the great performance against Ohio State, DU regressed this week -- taken to the woodshed to endure a 13-6 pasting at Georgetown.

Sometimes, a good ass-kicking can cleanse the soul.

No element of Denver's game was sufficient enough to keep pace with the Hoyas.

As I see it, the depth problems (recruiting shortfalls) at Denver look to keep this DU team from being elite this season, as part of the general drift of this program has suffered, falling from elite level to sub-elite status since Denver's last final four appearance in 2017. Of course, I hope Coach T can make some magic happen in his last season, but it appears to me that this DU team does not have the horses for any kind of serious post-season success.

Please prove me wrong.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Hate to be critical. Denver still has time to regroup and get out of this discussion. But right now, I call them a top three disappointing team so far this season. Especially due to the incentive they should have with this being Tierney's last year.
henryben

Post by henryben »

Puck Swami wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:01 am After the great performance against Ohio State, DU regressed this week -- taken to the woodshed to endure a 13-6 pasting at Georgetown.

As I see it, the depth problems (recruiting shortfalls) at Denver look to keep this DU team from being elite this season, as part of the general drift of this program has suffered, falling from elite level to sub-elite status since Denver's last final four appearance in 2017. Of course, I hope Coach T can make some magic happen in his last season, but it appears to me that this DU team does not have the horses for any kind of serious post-season success.

Please prove me wrong.
The recruiting is the big issue. Tierney and Brown are still great coaches. They just don't have anyone the caliber of a Wes Berg, Jeremy Noble, Zach Miller, Connor Cannizzaro, Tyler Pace or Erik Adamson. And de-commits have really hurt, as well. Owen Hiltz and Sam King (Harvard) were both DU recruits at one time.
a fan

Post by a fan »

henryben wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:55 pm
Puck Swami wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:01 am After the great performance against Ohio State, DU regressed this week -- taken to the woodshed to endure a 13-6 pasting at Georgetown.

Please prove me wrong.
The recruiting is the big issue. Tierney and Brown are still great coaches. They just don't have anyone the caliber of a Wes Berg, Jeremy Noble, Zach Miller, Connor Cannizzaro, Tyler Pace or Erik Adamson.
Yep. Tierney is just like every other great D1 coach: when you have AA's all over the field, you make Final Fours. And when you don't, you can miss the playoffs entirely. These are just men, not magicians that are coaching these teams.

He's doing the best he can with the kids who show up on campus. DU's a tough place to recruit, and tuition sure isn't getting any lower.....
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:24 pm

Please prove me wrong.
The recruiting is the big issue. Tierney and Brown are still great coaches. They just don't have anyone the caliber of a Wes Berg, Jeremy Noble, Zach Miller, Connor Cannizzaro, Tyler Pace or Erik Adamson.
Yep. Tierney is just like every other great D1 coach: when you have AA's all over the field, you make Final Fours. And when you don't, you can miss the playoffs entirely. These are just men, not magicians that are coaching these teams.

He's doing the best he can with the kids who show up on campus. DU's a tough place to recruit, and tuition sure isn't getting any lower.....
I've talked to a few D1 coaches about recruiting Canadians, and they've all said the same thing: Canadians are more expensive.

DU has a good endowment for a school of its size, and the average tuition after discount looks like its in the $34K range. For Canadian, who can go to school for basically free, that kind of price tag looks even higher than it does to most Americans. So at 12.6 scholarships, you're going to have a huge chuck of that eaten up if you have a few Canadians on the roster.

Even with stacking merit and need-based aid before athletic aid, recruiting Canadians is a tough proposition for even larger private universities like DU. 10-12 years ago, schools like DU had a first mover advantage with recruiting Canadian players. It's much tougher now. When DU had most of the west almost to itself for recruiting purposes, they could get the best out of CA and CO. Now those players are going east, and it seems like the best from those states are going to Ivies.

I'm not sure what the solution is for DU in this type of competitive environment. I don't think Brown's recruiting connections will yield better results if he's the HC as opposed to the Assoc HC. Following a legend is never easy to begin with, but he's taking over a program that had so many of its natural advantages eliminated over the course of Coach T's tenure. It's not their fault. It's just the nature of the beast.

I'd take a close look at Utah's coach. Unique style. Recruits the same grounds. But you're probably right that Brown takes over, does 4 or 5 years, and gets sacked.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:24 pm

Please prove me wrong.

I've talked to a few D1 coaches about recruiting Canadians, and they've all said the same thing: Canadians are more expensive.

DU has a good endowment for a school of its size, and the average tuition after discount looks like its in the $34K range. For Canadian, who can go to school for basically free, that kind of price tag looks even higher than it does to most Americans. So at 12.6 scholarships, you're going to have a huge chuck of that eaten up if you have a few Canadians on the roster.

Even with stacking merit and need-based aid before athletic aid, recruiting Canadians is a tough proposition for even larger private universities like DU. 10-12 years ago, schools like DU had a first mover advantage with recruiting Canadian players. It's much tougher now. When DU had most of the west almost to itself for recruiting purposes, they could get the best out of CA and CO. Now those players are going east, and it seems like the best from those states are going to Ivies.

I'm not sure what the solution is for DU in this type of competitive environment. I don't think Brown's recruiting connections will yield better results if he's the HC as opposed to the Assoc HC. Following a legend is never easy to begin with, but he's taking over a program that had so many of its natural advantages eliminated over the course of Coach T's tenure. It's not their fault. It's just the nature of the beast.

I'd take a close look at Utah's coach. Unique style. Recruits the same grounds. But you're probably right that Brown takes over, does 4 or 5 years, and gets sacked.
....and Utah's $20k less for out of State. Spent a summer in SLC. Loved it.

Appreciate the clarity you shared on Canadian players and tuition. I see the same thing you do with the rise of the Ivies.....they're getting more aid and a bigger name brand degree there. I also think this is why Syracuse has fallen as their tuition has reached nosebleed status, but we don't get to see how the sausage is made by the coaches to fit all the players into the 12.6 cap, plus aid.....so it could be pure speculation.

I just have a hard time thinking that tuition price isn't a big part of the changing D1 landscape.

What I do know, is that Tierney's done a fine job, and I enjoy watching his team play........
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

When DU had most of the west almost to itself for recruiting purposes, they could get the best out of CA … Now those players are going east, and it seems like the best from those states are going to Ivies.
Nowadays, California players are going to whoever is willing to cough up the scholarship package.
Pios had a lot more luck recruiting from the California publics,
the top recruits from privates tended to go for an Ivy or top scholastic ACC - or another common route was the CA recruits PG’d at say Salisbury. I don’t believe Tierney ever got a recruit from St. Ignatius to Denver - Roy Lang went to Cornell and his brother Harvard, Rob Emery and his brother went to UVA.

Now, though, they’re going anywhere - from DI to DIII, the NESCAC schools, even the St Ignatius recruits.

One guy I’m surprised the Pios didn’t get was Will Mark,
he was right there in their recruiting wheelhouse, NCal East Bay
at Monte Vista - but Mark decided to PG and take his chances.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:54 pm
What I do know, is that Tierney's done a fine job, and I enjoy watching his team play........
It's hard to imagine anyone doing what Tierney did ever again. At the time, it was totally wild. Now in hindsight, it's even crazier to think of what he did with that program. If lacrosse was a bigger sport, ESPN would do a 30 for 30 on it.

DU had a nice, solid program; but it's located in a western outpost that wasn't really a hot bed for lacrosse at the time. Then...boom...he wins a natty. Just amazing. DU having a top hockey program isn't a stretch at all. DU having a top lacrosse program? Totally different thing he did out there.
cherrylax

Post by cherrylax »

Did not get to watch the game on Saturday, but looking at the stats looks like a total dismantling by the Hoyas. 7 goal run in the first quarter and they never looked back.

Pretty disappointed to see our faceoff numbers at 30%. Stath has been one of our best players all season, and some days you just don't have your fastball. The fact that Stath took EVERY faceoff shows either that 1. The coaches don't trust the two other Face off guys on the roster (freshman) or 2. They have never practiced a situation where Alec is having an off day. Have to think we'd have better success if we put Mercurio on the draw and let him go to work than sitting back and going 30%. The face that no other person on this roster has taken a face off this year is concerning.

What has happened to Noah Manning? My pick for our player of the year has not scored in our last 4 games. Outside of Ohio State he has had 1 or 0 points in that stretch as well.

Absolutely massive game this weekend. Win and hopefully we can start a little run here at the end of the season. Lose and I predict we lose another game in the big east (marquette or Providence).

Could this game also influence the coaching decision going forward? Cannot imagine Matt Brown is hired if this team fails to make the Big East tournament.
henryben

Post by henryben »

Please prove me wrong.

Right on CA. Look at a kid like Brad Sharp at Yale. His sister plays at DU. He will likely be an AA. 10 yrs ago, does Yale even look at a Cali kid?

Times have changed.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

henryben wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:36 am

Please prove me wrong.

Right on CA. Look at a kid like Brad Sharp at Yale. His sister plays at DU. He will likely be an AA. 10 yrs ago, does Yale even look at a Cali kid?
Yes, actually,
10 years ago the automatic response was - the top private school
California kids went to an Ivy or a top ACC school,

the Pios were losing out to those schools for those types of
top recruits,

Roy Lang went to Cornell, his brother went to Harvard, Rob Emery
went to UVA along with his brother, you had California kids
recruited to Princeton, Duke, UNC, Brown and yes, Yale.

Nowadays though, you’ve got California kids including private
school kids going just about everywhere, DI to DIII, High Point,
Tufts, Delaware, you name it, and yes, Ivy League schools also.

What Bill Tierney does get credit for,
Tierney was the prime mover in gaining notoriety for
Western recruits — any number of players were able to trade
on that notoriety to get a top notch education and to play on in
some cases national championship lacrosse teams.
henryben

Post by henryben »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:32 am

Please prove me wrong.

Yes, actually,
10 years ago the automatic response was - the top private school
California kids went to an Ivy or a top ACC school,

the Pios were losing out to those schools for those types of
top recruits,

Roy Lang went to Cornell, his brother went to Harvard, Rob Emery
went to UVA along with his brother, you had California kids
recruited to Princeton, Duke, UNC, Brown and yes, Yale.

Nowadays though, you’ve got California kids including private
school kids going just about everywhere, DI to DIII, High Point,
Tufts, Delaware, you name it, and yes, Ivy League schools also.

Tierney was the prime mover in gaining notoriety for
Western recruits — any number of players were able to trade
on that notoriety to get a top notch education and to play on in
some cases national championship lacrosse teams.
Fair points, I was being a bit melodramatic.

Nonetheless, it’s hard to argue that it’s gotten much harder for DU to find and retain overlooked/underexposed kids from CA, etc. Now, clubs like West Coast Starz etc. are getting those players in from of everyone, early.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

henryben wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:29 am
10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:32 am

Please prove me wrong.

Yes, actually,
10 years ago the automatic response was - the top private school California kids went to an Ivy or a top ACC school,

the Pios were losing out to those schools for those types of top recruits,

Roy Lang went to Cornell, his brother went to Harvard, Rob Emery went to UVA along with his brother, you had California kids recruited to Princeton, Duke, UNC, Brown and yes, Yale.

Nowadays though, you’ve got California kids including private school kids going just about everywhere, DI to DIII, High Point, Tufts, Delaware, you name it, and yes, Ivy League schools also.

Tierney was the prime mover in gaining notoriety for Western recruits — any number of players were able to trade on that notoriety to get a top notch education and to play on in some cases national championship lacrosse teams.
Fair points, I was being a bit melodramatic.

Nonetheless, it’s hard to argue that it’s gotten much harder for DU to find and retain overlooked/underexposed kids from CA, etc. Now, clubs like West Coast Starz etc. are getting those players in from of everyone, early.
Bill Tierney also gets a lot of credit, not all of it but a lot,
for doing the same thing for Southeast Pennsylvania Philadelphia area lacrosse players -
- he opened up that pandora’s box of untapped SEPA lacrosse talent while at Princeton.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

Pio9

Post by Pio9 »

I think this will be the new AD'S, Josh Berlo,1st hire(Correct if I'm wrong Swami) he might risk alienating Pio Alums/Tierney by not going with Brown. That said Berlo's life would be alot easier if DU Lacrosse was having a good season.
cherrylax

Post by cherrylax »

Pio9 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:53 am I think this will be the new AD'S, Josh Berlo,1st hire(Correct if I'm wrong Swami) he might risk alienating Pio Alums/Tierney by not going with Brown. That said Berlo's life would be alot easier if DU Lacrosse was having a good season.
Not to mention donors....
Pio9

Post by Pio9 »

cherrylax wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:58 am
Pio9 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:53 am I think this will be the new AD'S, Josh Berlo,1st hire(Correct if I'm wrong Swami) he might risk alienating Pio Alums/Tierney by not going with Brown. That said Berlo's life would be alot easier if DU Lacrosse was having a good season.
Not to mention donors....
Oops, of course! Big win. I think Kleben's save pct. was over 70%.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Just when you think the Pios are resigned to sub-elite play this year, they come out and play great defense and hammer a ranked opponent above them, in this case, Villanova by a 12-6 count. Kudos to the team for making Bill Tierney Day a memorable one in the middle of a roller-coaster season with very few home games.

It would be wonderful if the Pios can play this way for the rest of the season with real passion and urgency they showed against Nova, because they should beat all they teams they would face before the BET. Towson (3-7), St. John's (0-11) and Providence (5-6) are DU's next three opponents, and all of them are having losing seasons. Denver should beat all of them if they play the way they did against Villanova. Marquette (6-4) will be a taller order in Milwaukee, but still a very beatable team for Denver. If DU has any dreams of being a playoff factor, it's time to rack up some wins.

That would be the best way to honor Tierney's legacy, too.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Good to see Denver at 10 in RPI and 12 in the media poll. Win or lose, Denver will drop in RPI after playing Towson and St. Johns this week.

https://www.laxmath.com/men/rpi001x.php

Team RPI SOS QWF Selection Sum
Notre Dame ( 8 - 1 ) 1 3 1 5
Duke ( 10 - 2 ) 2 1 3 6
Virginia ( 8 - 2 ) 3 4 2 9
Johns Hopkins ( 9 - 4 ) 4 5 6 15
Maryland ( 7 - 3 ) 5 10 7 22
Penn State ( 7 - 3 ) 6 12 4 22
Cornell ( 7 - 2 ) 7 17 9 33
Georgetown ( 6 - 3 ) 8 11 10 29
North Carolina ( 7 - 4 ) 9 9 11 29
Denver ( 5 - 4 ) 10 7 17 34