Games Televised and Webcasted 2019

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Games Televised and Webcasted 2019

Post by DMac »

Francophile wrote
Yes, I'm going to go shoot myself. Draw controls: Duke 21 SU 10. Really? REALLY?
Don't do it!!
Goals: Cuse 15, Duke 14.
:D
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Francophile wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:50 pm
Yes, I'm going to go shoot myself. Draw controls: Duke 21 SU 10. Really? REALLY?
I wonder how many of those 21 draw controls for Duke ended up being successful clears. And how many of those 21 draw controls that were successfully cleared ended up being converted into a shot on goal, or a goal. Draw controls in and of themselves don’t ultimately decide a game. It would be interesting to research this.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Francophile wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:50 pm Yes, I'm going to go shoot myself. Draw controls: Duke 21 SU 10. Really? REALLY?
Interested, so I checked the stats. Liv Jenner (10 DCs), sister Maddie (8 DCs). Not surprising at all (at least to me).
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:50 pm
Francophile wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:50 pm
I wonder how many of those 21 draw controls for Duke ended up being successful clears. And how many of those 21 draw controls that were successfully cleared ended up being converted into a shot on goal, or a goal. Draw controls in and of themselves don’t ultimately decide a game. It would be interesting to research this.
I was going to look at each draw in this Duke/Syracuse game and tally statistics, but after the 5th draw, I could see that my original conclusion was correct--draw controls, in and of themselves, don’t ultimately decide a game.

3rd Draw - Hawryschuk vs M. Jenner - Jenner wins draw to herself and passes to teammate for successful clear. Duke sets up in the offensive zone but makes a bad pass and Syracuse intercepts, clears and sets up in the offensive zone. Hawryschuk gets off a shot close in but shoots wide right. The Orange get the out of bounds ball but then THEY make a bad pass which is intercepted, cleared and Duke sets up in the offensive zone where Olivia Jenner is awarded shooting space and Duke scores. Can you really say Duke scored of a successful draw win here after Syracuse had possession and even got a shot off?

5th Draw - Widner vs M. Jenner - Syracuse awarded ball on draw violation. Successful clear, SU sets up in offensive zone. Carney pass knocked down by Duke, ensuing scrum results in a Duke ground ball, successful clear, O. Jenner scores on the fast break. So Syracuse won the draw but Duke ended up scoring.

This game is a perfect demonstration that winning the draw battle during a game doesn't always translate into an automatic win. Of course, no one wants to live dangerously like Syracuse and get killed on the draw and yet eke out wins--I'm sure Gait tosses and turns some nights trying to figure out his platoon draw taker situation--but this sport has so many aspects to it that winning draws is only one aspect (albeit a big one) of what wins games.
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:25 am
Francophile wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:50 pm Yes, I'm going to go shoot myself. Draw controls: Duke 21 SU 10. Really? REALLY?
Interested, so I checked the stats. Liv Jenner (10 DCs), sister Maddie (8 DCs). Not surprising at all (at least to me).
L. Jenner also had 6g and 3a, that girl is a real force. 5'10" of solid wlaxer, she's pretty tough to deal with.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

It was a pretty fun game to watch; the replay is available as you all probably know. Olivia J scored five in the first half, so Syracuse did something about her in the second. It was a little weird, but I never thought that the game was in doubt for Syracuse. I do think the draw-advantage kept Duke in the game, whatever the ensuing results showed.

The guy who did the play by play was the regular Duke/ACC Network guy, and he's does a decent job, not too much of a homer (although I pretty much think that if you are devoting the infrastructure, you get to have a homer doing the game). As wlaxnut says, the woman who did the color commentary was excellent, knew the game, appreciated the athletes, translated the calls, all without Vitale-like silliness. She's hired.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Notre Dame at UNC 1:00 on the ACC Network. UNC by 3. Jamie Ortega with six new bruises.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

#3 North Carolina at #6 Notre Dame--a delicious main course.

And for dessert – #5 Penn at #5 Northwestern on BTN Plus. (The dual #5's is intentional according to differing polls.) ;)

Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon for us women’s lacrosse aficionados.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Penn by 1 in the Dessert Course.
DMac

Post by DMac »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:07 am It was a pretty fun game to watch; the replay is available as you all probably know. Olivia J scored five in the first half, so Syracuse did something about her in the second. It was a little weird, but I never thought that the game was in doubt for Syracuse. I do think the draw-advantage kept Duke in the game, whatever the ensuing results showed.

The guy who did the play by play was the regular Duke/ACC Network guy, and he's does a decent job, not too much of a homer (although I pretty much think that if you are devoting the infrastructure, you get to have a homer doing the game). As wlaxnut says, the woman who did the color commentary was excellent, knew the game, appreciated the athletes, translated the calls, all without Vitale-like silliness. She's hired.
Stanwick Burch is another good one, as you say, these broadcasts typically come with a homer but I'm fine with that as long as their view isn't too slanted (comes on the mlax side too). Some of the commentators on the live feeds can be pretty shaky but it seems as if the ESPN broadcasts come with decent commentators. I've only heard one describe a scrum as seagulls going after a french fry though. Seems as if she comes from a different place (pun intended) and I've never detected any bias in her commentary, she calls things very fair and seems to really enjoy what's she's doing. BTB.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Really furious pace in cold, snowy South Bend.

3-3 with 3:00 to go in the first.
Last edited by seacoaster on Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

wlaxnut wrote
#3 North Carolina at #6 Notre Dame--a delicious main course.
What in the world is Nikki Ortega (#3 for ND) wearing on her back???
I wouldn't think that you'd want something like that on you while playing
a game. Whus da deal wif dat?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Looks like a quarterback’s handwarmer.
DMac

Post by DMac »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:47 pm Looks like a quarterback’s handwarmer.
It does, looks like it doesn't belong too.
That's trouble waiting to happen, get caught/hung up on something.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Pretty good game here, huh?

Respectfully, I wish the young woman would, umm, talk less. Or work on syntax.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:50 pm Pretty good game here, huh?

UGH! She’s brutal. I’ve had to mute the game a number of times. She talks way too much and what she says isn’t very compelling.
DMac

Post by DMac »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:50 pm Pretty good game here, huh?

Sure was, awful lot of good D going on on the field, Os had a lot of trouble getting to the cage, ND finally went on a mini run to win it. Nice play by the GKs, have seen Giacolone a couple of times, she can be mighty hard to get the ball by. Had some big saves in this one. Don't know what everyone's favorite commentator (crazy annoying, must get a bonus for every time she uses the word regardless....really glad she's not one of those irregardless people) sees on a shot. Early in the 2nd, shot put on goal, Ms. Annoying says Giacolne didn't have to move her stick and the shooter hit her right in the chest. Meanwhile, Giacolone lowers her stick from the high position to low and makes the save at her kness. ND's 9th goal from Aldave goes in the upper right, she calls it the upper left.
Don't like the darker blue diamonds on NC's unis. First time I saw them I thought the girls were sweating through their jerseys. Both teams in skirts, gotta like that.
Good game.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Anyone see Covie Stanwick's tweet in which she said how horrible it is to watch a BC game with an announcer who knows nothing about wlax? I didn't see the game but she complained about a male announcer who acknowledged knowing nothing about the sport. She went on to beg her sister to cover all future BC games.

Who's responsible for putting these people on the air? Is it the home school who provides the announcers?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Badlands wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:35 am Anyone see Covie Stanwick's tweet in which she said how horrible it is to watch a BC game with an announcer who knows nothing about wlax? I didn't see the game but she complained about a male announcer who acknowledged knowing nothing about the sport. She went on to beg her sister to cover all future BC games.

Who's responsible for putting these people on the air? Is it the home school who provides the announcers?
Wow! No kidding. I’ll have to follow her and acknowledge her point. Very cool! 😎
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I think we all appreciate being able to see this beautiful game on "TV" -- especially those of us who can recall when a webcasted or televised game was infrequent. Now we have a menu every weekend of the season, and I sure appreciate it. So I'd like to try to be appreciative and constructive.

The BC guys didn't know the sport and made no effort to learn it or recruit someone who did. A BC soccer player who played lacrosse as her Spring sport might've helped, for heaven's sake.

The UND woman appeared to have a working knowledge of the sport; she just spoke too much and sometimes badly -- bad syntax and long run on sentences the subject of which changed halfway through.

We have maybe three or four decent professional color people: Stanwick Burch; the woman we had for the Duke-Syracuse game this weekend; the woman (Leah somebody???) who has done the ACC women's lacrosse championships the last few years; and Dana Boyle, who teams up with Zealand Shannon for the UVA broadcasts. DMac's "Downunda" friend is good too, and getting better as the weeks go by.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”