Coaching Carousel

D1 Womens Lacrosse
SPIDERLAXFAN

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

“The A-10 has UMass then a drop....”??? I think you are forgetting the fact that Richmond has won the A-10 the last two years. Just sayin!
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

SPIDERLAXFAN wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:57 am “The A-10 has UMass then a drop....”??? I think you are forgetting the fact that Richmond has won the A-10 the last two years. Just sayin!
Exactly. And other teams are coming up in the conference...St. Joe's, VCU
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HVGuy

Post by HVGuy »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:02 am
SPIDERLAXFAN wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:57 am “The A-10 has UMass then a drop....”??? I think you are forgetting the fact that Richmond has won the A-10 the last two years. Just sayin!
Exactly. And other teams are coming up in the conference...St. Joe's, VCU

Easy there on VCU Larry. They get some crazy wins at home because of their unique field. Having seen the whole league, I would say that Mason and Duquesne are better than VCU. VCU was put on a running clock this year by GW.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Speaking of VCU, next year their players should stop the premature shot clock count down when their opponent has the ball at the end of the shot clock. Fans do it all the time at basketball games, but it’s not a good look in terms of sportsmanship when players do it right in front of the coach and seemingly with her approval.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Badlands wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:11 pm Speaking of VCU, next year their players should stop the premature shot clock count down when their opponent has the ball at the end of the shot clock. Fans do it all the time at basketball games, but it’s not a good look in terms of sportsmanship when players do it right in front of the coach and seemingly with her approval.
Wow Badlands, I'm a bit taken aback by this observation. If I'm not mistaken I have heard both fans and teams do the Shot clock countdown. I'm amazed that it would be seen as some sign of a lack of sportsmanship. Oh well, tomato...tomatoe?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Badlands wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:11 pm Speaking of VCU, next year their players should stop the premature shot clock count down when their opponent has the ball at the end of the shot clock. Fans do it all the time at basketball games, but it’s not a good look in terms of sportsmanship when players do it right in front of the coach and seemingly with her approval.
I had not heard of this as I havent seen a VCU game....how do they do it? Start at 15 but yell 10? I've got to get out more :( :oops:
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:35 am
Wow Badlands, I'm a bit taken aback by this observation. If I'm not mistaken I have heard both fans and teams do the Shot clock countdown. I'm amazed that it would be seen as some sign of a lack of sportsmanship. Oh well, tomato...tomatoe?
So you think that isn't poor sportsmanship for the bench players to loudly count the shot clock down to zero when there's still 5 or so seconds left on the clock to try to trick the opponent into taking a bad shot or rolling the ball into the corner? You'd let a team you coach do that? I'm sure we've both been to many college and HS games, but I sure don't remember seeing any other team's players doing it. Fans are a totally different issue. The coach has far less control over fans.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:15 am
I had not heard of this as I havent seen a VCU game....how do they do it? Start at 15 but yell 10? I've got to get out more :( :oops:
When the clock gets to 10 or so they start counting down from 5 so that when they yell "ZERO" the clock is actually at 5. It's stupid but not a big deal and not something I care enough to comment on anymore. VCU is a fine school and I'm sure the kids on the team are great kids who, in my opinion, shouldn't do something that makes them look less than that. And, again in my opinion, it's too bad that the coaches aren't explaining to them how it reflects on them and the program.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Badlands wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:07 pm
When the clock gets to 10 or so they start counting down from 5 so that when they yell "ZERO" the clock is actually at 5. It's stupid but not a big deal and not something I care enough to comment on anymore. VCU is a fine school and I'm sure the kids on the team are great kids who, in my opinion, shouldn't do something that makes them look less than that. And, again in my opinion, it's too bad that the coaches aren't explaining to them how it reflects on them and the program.
You say you don't care enough to comment on it anymore, but you're the one who broached the subject in the first place. Now you don't want to play anymore? C'mon Man!
Why in Women's athletics are dumb things taken to new levels of dumb and made into issues...like this! I remember years ago a Basketball coach complained that because Pat Summit let Candace Parker dunk in a game that she was "disrespecting the game"...HUH? The countdown thing ain't dunking, but it is much ado about nothing.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:46 am
You say you don't care enough to comment on it anymore, but you're the one who broached the subject in the first place. Now you don't want to play anymore? C'mon Man!
Why in Women's athletics are dumb things taken to new levels of dumb and made into issues...like this! I remember years ago a Basketball coach complained that because Pat Summit let Candace Parker dunk in a game that she was "disrespecting the game"...HUH? The countdown thing ain't dunking, but it is much ado about nothing.
"...not something I care enough to comment on anymore."

I completely understand where Badlands is coming from. Sometimes confrontational/antagonistic responses one receives can take the fun out of the discussion, and compel the one who made the original statement to choose peace rather than more antagonism. I think discussions on these forums would/could go on a lot longer if there was more respectful dialog. Sure--we don't all agree--and it would be boring if we did. And sometimes a little antagonism is fun to watch from the sidelines, as it were. But the older I get, the more I feel like Badlands when it comes to engaging in heated point/counterpoint on these boards. I'd rather stay peaceful inside and opt out of a discussion when it gets heated, and more often than not, inane (to borrow the word Badlands used in another thread recently).
Bart

Post by Bart »

wlaxnut wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:21 am
"...not something I care enough to comment on anymore."

I completely understand where Badlands is coming from. Sometimes confrontational/antagonistic responses one receives can take the fun out of the discussion, and compel the one who made the original statement to choose peace rather than more antagonism. I think discussions on these forums would/could go on a lot longer if there was more respectful dialog.
Antagonistic/confrontational comes from all sides...just a matter of perspective. Antagonistic to a group of fans/parents/team members to read their team was a bunch of underachievers. Confrontational/antagonistic to players/fans of a kid said to be a thug. Confrontational to a team/fans for being labeled pretenders. People can post what ever they want and stir the pot and be as provocative as they want but do not expect those who see the OP as antagonistic not to take the OP to task. The discussion one person finds "fun" may not be for others and elicit antagonistic responses in return.

NO dog directly in this kennel. It just seems to me this is akin to the kid on the playground who pokes the other kids and then runs to mom saying they are being mean to me.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Bart wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:58 am
Antagonistic/confrontational comes from all sides...just a matter of perspective. Antagonistic to a group of fans/parents/team members to read their team was a bunch of underachievers. Confrontational/antagonistic to players/fans of a kid said to be a thug. Confrontational to a team/fans for being labeled pretenders. People can post what ever they want and stir the pot and be as provocative as they want but do not expect those who see the OP as antagonistic not to take the OP to task. The discussion one person finds "fun" may not be for others and elicit antagonistic responses in return.

NO dog directly in this kennel. It just seems to me this is akin to the kid on the playground who pokes the other kids and then runs to mom saying they are being mean to me.
I am new to the sport of women’s lacrosse. I discovered this fascinating sport six years ago when I was surfing the ESPN3 website for something to watch. I came across Kayla Treanor and the exciting Syracuse Orange and was immediately hooked. I am also new to these forums. I discovered LaxPower in 2018, and the superior Back-Up Stick in ’19. My daughter doesn’t play lacrosse, nor do any of my sons. After reading and considering your comments, I can understand where you’re coming from--and I can understand why some members take exception to some of my critical opinions. I’ll try to explain my philosophy, for what it’s worth.

I see my comments directed toward impersonal sports teams and players—and not personal attacks or judgments of a person. That may be a skewed philosophy, but that is honestly how I feel. I would probably feel differently if my daughter played lacrosse on a team mentioned on these boards, but since she doesn’t I can only see things from a fans perspective. For instance—to say that the current bullpen of the Boston Red Sox isn't performing well isn't a personal criticism of each person who makes up said bullpen to me. I have come to regard such comments/criticisms as part of the fan experience. If we pay to watch/attend the games—why don't we get to make comments on the product? For example, if I am a season ticket holder for a given team, why would it be hypocritical of me to question a players heart on that team, yet to call the ushers to break up a fight in the stands? Or to criticize a player from an opposing team as being a cheap shot artist when they are clearly trying to injure a player on the team I support/pay to see/am partly responsible for paying the salaries of--yet to want nothing to do with a fan of that opposing team who takes exception to my criticism and wants to pick a fight?

Picking fights in the stands, (or more directly, making personal attacks on these forums,) is another matter entirely, one which I think is distinct and separate from comments directed at players on the field. If I yell from the stands to exhort a player to stop loafing and get the lead out, or a similar type comment, and another fan nearby who happens to be related to that player takes exception and gets aggressive with me, I think that is inappropriate. If we’re all entitled to our opinion, then ideally we shouldn’t be personally criticized for them. Disagreeing with an opinion is one thing. To personally attack the person who states a controversial opinion is another. But we live in an imperfect world, so I understand why other members get personal. I try not to let it bother me and to take it in stride as being part of this forum fan experience.

In any event—that's just how I see it.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

I made my point. That's it, and I really don't care if anyone agrees with me or not. I make observations. If you disagree, fine; but I'm not under any obligation to sit by my computer and wait for responses and respond to you. If you think people have an obligation to respond to you, I'm not sure what that says about you.

Larry, as others have asked before, why must you constantly be so unpleasant and aggressive?
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Badlands wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:05 pm
I made my point. That's it, and I really don't care if anyone agrees with me or not. I make observations. If you disagree, fine; but I'm not under any obligation to sit by my computer and wait for responses and respond to you. If you think people have an obligation to respond to you, I'm not sure what that says about you.

Larry, as others have asked before, why must you constantly be so unpleasant and aggressive?
Okay...here's my challenge to Badlands and wlaxnut...point out where I have been "unpleasant and aggressive" within this particular topic. If I can explain what I meant by something I wrote, I will do so. Others are free to point out such folly if they find that to be the case.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Why in Women's athletics are dumb things taken to new levels of dumb and made into issues...like this!
Well, Larry, I guess it's just so routine for you to be aggressive that you don't even notice it. And that's a shame because I'm sure you have plenty of value to contribute to these discussions.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:13 pm Okay...here's my challenge to Badlands and wlaxnut...point out where I have been "unpleasant and aggressive" within this particular topic. If I can explain what I meant by something I wrote, I will do so. Others are free to point out such folly if they find that to be the case.
When you write in all caps with exclamation points following, that has the feel like I'm being yelled at. You ended a recent response to me by writing: "Stay in your lane!" That doesn't make me feel like I am respected. When you said to Badlands that he started a topic and now he doesn't want to play anymore implies that you think he was being childish, instead of relating to him with respect as another man and respecting his preference to not discuss a given topic anymore.

It comes down to treating others and writing to others the way you would want to be treated and spoken to. No one likes being yelled at in print. No one likes being judged or berated. You have a habit of relating to other members like this when their opinion conflicts with yours. I don't think you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Try to think of someone in your life who has treated you with respect, or who you honor and respect and always speak to in a respectful way, and try to bring some of that into how you interact with people here. I'm not saying you can't disagree with others. This would be a very dull forum if we all agreed on everything all the time. But try to disagree in a respectful manner with the point the person is making, and not talk down to them or make it about them personally. Just a few thoughts.

This might be a good song for you (and all of us in this forum) to listen to and take to heart when it comes to relating to people--especially on these boards:

https://youtu.be/QPE8KNCA6jk

"So let's leave it alone,
cuz we can't see eye to eye.
There ain't no good guy,
There ain't no bad guy.
There's only you and me
and we just disagree."
Last edited by wlaxnut on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bart

Post by Bart »

wlaxnut wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:13 am

I am new to the sport of women’s lacrosse. I discovered this fascinating sport six years ago when I was surfing the ESPN3 website for something to watch. I came across Kayla Treanor and the exciting Syracuse Orange and was immediately hooked. I am also new to these forums. I discovered LaxPower in 2018, and the superior Back-Up Stick in ’19. My daughter doesn’t play lacrosse, nor do any of my sons. After reading and considering your comments, I can understand where you’re coming from--and I can understand why some members take exception to some of my critical opinions. I’ll try to explain my philosophy, for what it’s worth.

I see my comments directed toward impersonal sports teams and players—and not personal attacks or judgments of a person. That may be a skewed philosophy, but that is honestly how I feel. I would probably feel differently if my daughter played lacrosse on a team mentioned on these boards, but since she doesn’t I can only see things from a fans perspective. For instance—to say that the current bullpen of the Boston Red Sox isn't performing well isn't a personal criticism of each person who makes up said bullpen to me. I have come to regard such comments/criticisms as part of the fan experience. If we pay to watch/attend the games—why don't we get to make comments on the product? For example, if I am a season ticket holder for a given team, why would it be hypocritical of me to question a players heart on that team, yet to call the ushers to break up a fight in the stands? Or to criticize a player from an opposing team as being a cheap shot artist when they are clearly trying to injure a player on the team I support/pay to see/am partly responsible for paying the salaries of--yet to want nothing to do with a fan of that opposing team who takes exception to my criticism and wants to pick a fight?

Picking fights in the stands, (or more directly, making personal attacks on these forums,) is another matter entirely, one which I think is distinct and separate from comments directed at players on the field. If I yell from the stands to exhort a player to stop loafing and get the lead out, or a similar type comment, and another fan nearby who happens to be related to that player takes exception and gets aggressive with me, I think that is inappropriate. If we’re all entitled to our opinion, then ideally we shouldn’t be personally criticized for them. Disagreeing with an opinion is one thing. To personally attack the person who states a controversial opinion is another. But we live in an imperfect world, so I understand why other members get personal. I try not to let it bother me and to take it in stride as being part of this forum fan experience.

That works for you because you see it as faceless teams/players/coaches. There is a lot in here that I was going to comment on but deleted a much longer post. Feel free to comment as you will but also be aware that there are probably many on this forum who have deep personal relationships with people,coaches, players or alum of those teams that you see as faceless. What you see as a faceless entity someone else will see it as an aggressive unpleasant attack on someone or something they hold dear and will answer accordingly.

Again, no dog in this kennel, my kids play in a different divisions. Keep posting it makes the forum more interesting but realize the size of the lacrosse community makes it such that these things you see as faceless are not.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Bart wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:54 am
wlaxnut wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:13 am

That works for you because you see it as faceless teams/players/coaches. There is a lot in here that I was going to comment on but deleted a much longer post. Feel free to comment as you will but also be aware that there are probably many on this forum who have deep personal relationships with people,coaches, players or alum of those teams that you see as faceless. What you see as a faceless entity someone else will see it as an aggressive unpleasant attack on someone or something they hold dear and will answer accordingly.

Again, no dog in this kennel, my kids play in a different divisions. Keep posting it makes the forum more interesting but realize the size of the lacrosse community makes it such that these things you see as faceless are not.
I have always understood that talking about sports teams and their coaches and players and how they perform on the field was very natural. I try to keep in perspective that I am talking about games; organized athletics. They are, all of them, pastimes. Not devotion to God, or country or family. Sports.

Sports is huge in this country. It only follows that the players and coaches of sports teams get talked about and written about 24/7 in this digital age. A good portion of the commentary is negative.

If I’m understanding what you’re saying, I’m being advised to watch what I write because someone might read it who has “deep personal relationships with people, coaches, players or alum.” and “see it as an aggressive unpleasant attack.” Perhaps have their feelings hurt. If I was to apply this rationale to any serious sports commentary in this country, people would say I was being non-sensical and ridiculous.

What is the distinction between Sports Talk Nation USA and women’s lacrosse on the Lax Power Back-Up Stick forum? Why is it okay to talk about male players and coaches freely, including the men’s lacrosse boards on this same Back-Up Stick, but a restrictive standard exists for what we can write about the performances of the female players and coaches of women’s lacrosse? All male athletes and coaches have family and friends with “deep personal relationships with people, coaches, players or alum.” I can’t imagine anyone saying we should stop saying critical things about male players and coaches for their performances on the field for the same reason. The notion is absurd.

I would strongly encourage you, and anyone else reading this, to search the word “paternalistic” on these boards and read what Badlands has eloquently opined on the subject. I can’t say it better than him.

Last edited by wlaxnut on Sun May 15, 2022 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
O M Buddy

Post by O M Buddy »

And now for a completely different subject...has anyone heard, or would like to predict about the new assistants for the new head coaches that have been hired during this carousel.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”