A10 Conference

D1 Womens Lacrosse
SPIDERLAXFAN

A10 Conference

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

All good things must come to an end. We will all miss LaxPower and all that it had to offer, but you can't keep the A10 WLAX faithful away. Hopefully FanLax will fill the void left behind. The A10 thread on LaxPower had a great following, so I am hoping the regulars find their way to LaxFan.

SLF
Last edited by SPIDERLAXFAN on Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Re: 2019 A10 Conference

Post by admin »

We're hoping, too. I don't think we'll know for sure until February. And, hopefully, between now and then, we'll create a party worth hanging out at.

Put the Atlantic 10 (and the Spiders) on the homepage. Again, we'll see.
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Thanks!
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

Hello Spider!
Glad that you made it to this forum, and that the A10 was the first conference to post. As you noted, this was one of the most heavily followed
threads with Laxpower. over 30K views this year. I only hope that our fans can find this thread. I stumbled upon it by accident when I was looking at
a Syracuse men's lacrosse blog. Hopefully there is a way for someone with SEO experience to optimize this site so Google directs anyone searching
the words "Laxpower", "Lacrosse Forums", "Women's Lacrosse", etc to FanLax. Alternatively, is there any way that Laxpower can make a reference
or automatically provide a link to FanLax?
A10
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

A10WLaxFan wrote:Hello Spider!
Alternatively, is there any way that Laxpower can make a reference
A10
that would be great for this site, if LP would do that... :roll:
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

Dr. Tact wrote:
A10WLaxFan wrote:Hello Spider!
Alternatively, is there any way that Laxpower can make a reference
A10
that would be great for this site, if LP would do that... :roll:
Most fans would agree that the loss of Laxpower is threefold:
1) The one stop source of all things Lacrosse
2) The loss of all the accumulated archived information
3) The disbursal of a dedicated community of contributors/readers
Hopefully FanLax can provide a similar service and somehow get the word out to the thousands of lax fans.
Spread the word to help get back this fun, informative and vibrant lacrosse community.
And to Laxpower: please consider a reference or link to FanLax so your lost community can find a new home.
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

A10WlaxFan,

Happy to see you found your way! I knew nothing of this site until I saw it mentioned on Twitter the morning after the LaxPower announcement. The boards here seemed much cleaner and less clumsy than those on IL and other sites I looked at. Hopefully all the A10 regulars and all those who were fans of LaxPower find their way as well.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Hello everyone- long time lurker of an A10 player on the other board. Happy to see my favorite thread back in business!
Thanks for getting it up and running again :mrgreen:
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Not a whole lot to report but did hear the Spiders played well at the William & Mary playday. They had convincing wins vs. ODU, W&M, and conference rival VCU. One note... heard the VCU defense was off the charts aggressive. VCU took an early 2-0 lead but the Spiders adjusted and took care of business in the end. They will meet up again at the George Mason playday later in the month... will be a fun one to watch. This could become quite the rivalry as the VCU ramps up its program.
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

Haven't seen any Fall Ball this year, but based on past history and recent updates, here's my guess for 2019 pre-season picks:

UMass
Richmond
St. Joe's
VCU

Mason
GW
Davidson

LaSalle
Duquesne
St. Bonnie's

The A10 still looks to me to be stratified into thirds, with a subtle shake-up at the top.
I'm guessing that UMass will be loaded for bear, and will reclaim the crown.
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Losing Laxpower was tough, but losing the A10 Network is a godsend! Here are some FAQ's regarding ESPN+ streaming A10 events (Courtesy of GW)

ESPN's new streaming platform, ESPN+ will be the new home for the majority Atlantic 10 Conference live digital events. The platform replaces events that were previously on the A-10 Network. Below is an FAQ that will answer the most common questions fans may have.

Do I need to sign-up for a new ESPN+ subscription?
Yes, to watch live Atlantic 10 content on ESPN+, you will be required to create a new ESPN+ account.

How do I subscribe to ESPN+ and what is the cost?
A subscription to ESPN+ is available for purchase via the ESPN App and ESPN.com, and fans can only access ESPN+ content after they have subscribed. To sign up, please click here: https://watch.espnplus.com/sports/ ESPN+ is offered at a price of $4.99/month or $49.99/year and covers not only Atlantic 10 content, but all ESPN+ content. ESPN offers a 7-day free trial as well.

How do I cancel last year's A-10 Network account?
A-10 Network accounts have all been canceled effective June 30, 2018, and no further action is needed. In the event that you are receiving a charge for an A-10 Network subscription on or after July 1, please contact NeuLion customer support. NeuLion has live chat support available from 9 a.m. - 10 p.m. ET, seven days a week. For email support, contact [email protected]

Where can I watch ESPN+ with my subscription?
A subscriber can watch ESPN+ in the Watch tab of the latest version of the ESPN App, available on the web, iPhone, iPad, tvOS, Android, Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast and FireTV.

Can I watch non-Atlantic 10 events with my ESPN+ subscription?
Yes, your subscription will allow you to watch all ESPN+ content, including select games from MLB, MLS, NHL, and more, plus features such as the entire ESPN 30for30 library.

Will Atlantic 10 digital programming be available outside the U.S.?
ESPN is available in a number of different countries outside the United States and certain events will be available on various international ESPN partners and platforms.

Will my Atlantic 10 App still work for live events?
No, the old app is no longer being supported and should be removed from your device. There will be a new and improved Atlantic 10 app debuting in September, however live events should be watched through the ESPN app.
Ipayforlax

Post by Ipayforlax »

Link introducing Spider freshman class.

https://richmondspiders.com/news/2018/1 ... -2022.aspx
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

An interesting team to watch this year could be VCU. They have most of their top players back, gained confidence every week, and finished their last 7 regular season games at 5-2.
Also, they beat UMass in a 17-16 OT squeaker last season, looked good in Fall Ball, and have a solid freshman crop. For the first time, I put them among my top 4 pre-season picks.
Don't think Mason will like being displaced among the top tier, but we shall see!
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

I agree 100%. Richmond played VCU twice this fall and split. Yes I know it's fall ball, but both games were intense battles. They are a skilled squad and their aggressive play will catch a lot of teams off guard this year.
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

If VCU is that good, I might have to bump them up to #3, but for now, I'll try to be cautiously optimistic.
For context, it's one thing to occasionally knock off a top team (and they have).
But it might be another year (or two or three) before they can consistently beat the likes of UMass, Richmond, etc.
I wish them the best. Great to see another up and coming A10 program.
I like where this team is headed. Good mix of non-conference opponents including Notre Dame, UMBC and Duke.
I'm guessing they'll finish .500 or better in non-conference play, 6-3 in conference, and a 1st round win in the A10 playoffs.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

A10WLaxFan wrote:An interesting team to watch this year could be VCU. They have most of their top players back, gained confidence every week, and finished their last 7 regular season games at 5-2.
Also, they beat UMass in a 17-16 OT squeaker last season, looked good in Fall Ball, and have a solid freshman crop. For the first time, I put them among my top 4 pre-season picks.
Don't think Mason will like being displaced among the top tier, but we shall see!
A10WLaxFan wrote:If VCU is that good, I might have to bump them up to #3, but for now, I'll try to be cautiously optimistic.
I'm just an occasional lurker here as I have no allegiance to the A10 other than I live in NOVA and like to follow any DMV teams. Coach O'Brien has done a lot in her first 3 years. It is hard to start a program and be competitive before you have been through most of a 4 year cycle.... 3-14 to 7-10/11 is predictive of a team on the rise. Saw them play Loyola at the ODU play day. Played the Hounds to a 2 or 3 goal deficit in the first half but then ran out of gas.

It would be good for the A-10 to keep improving and a strong VCU will help.
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

It's always interesting to see where the young coaches are coming from. Coach O'Brien cut her teeth with one of the best in the business, Janine Tucker from Hopkins.
The more traditional coaching trees like Kathy Reese's at Maryland or Cindy Timchal's at Navy continue to turn out fledgling coaches, but a lot of newbies can trace their
roots to young coaches like Kelly Amonte Hiller at Northwestern and the A10's own Angela McMahon at UMass. They bring a breath of fresh air into the sport.
Noodle

Post by Noodle »

I'm another longtime Laxpower/A10 lurker, and UMass fan. Who are some of the UMass former players/coaches who have moved along in the college ranks?
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

My memory is only recent, but to my knowledge, here are some of the Angela McMahon proteges who are in college coaching:

FORMER PLAYERS, now ASSISTANT COACHES:
Erica Eipp- Yale
Hannah Murphy- Northwestern
Kelsey Sheridan- Mason
Holly Turner- High Point

I lost track of a few others after they left their last schools-
Katie Ferris- Holy Cross?
Rachel Vallerelli- Villanova?
Kelsey McGovern - Harvard?

FORMER ASSISTANT COACHES, now HEAD COACHES
Brianna Roche- Bryant
Sarah Albright- UNH

I lost track of a few others after they left their last schools-
Whitney Michele- Michigan?
Eileen Finn- UNH?

That's the best I can do. Please add any that I didn't think of.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”