A10 Conference

D1 Womens Lacrosse
A10WLaxFan

Re: 2019 A10 Conference

Post by A10WLaxFan »

It seems like the in-conference games just started, but we're almost half way with 4 of 9 games played.
Looking into my crystal ball, here's what i see for end of season standings, and the playoff picture:

Likely going to the semis:
1 UMass
2 Richmond

Could battle for the first round:
3 St. Joe's
4 Mason
5 LaSalle
6 GW

Might not make the cut:
7 VCU
8 Davidson
8 Duquesne
10 St. Bonnie's
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

A10WLaxFan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:12 pm It seems like the in-conference games just started, but we're almost half way with 4 of 9 games played.
Looking into my crystal ball, here's what i see for end of season standings, and the playoff picture:

Likely going to the semis:
1 UMass
2 Richmond

Could battle for the first round:
3 St. Joe's
4 Mason
5 LaSalle
6 GW

Might not make the cut:
7 VCU
8 Davidson
8 Duquesne
10 St. Bonnie's
Do you think any of the top teams will make any noise in the NCAA Tournament?
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

I'd like to think so, but only the conference AQ has been chosen for the NCAAs for the past few seasons.
Most years the conference rep has struggled to get past the 1st or 2nd round, and in recent memory, only one
(UMass 2016) has made it to the Elite 8. The problem seems to be limited depth, and uneven in-conference
competition. The conference is slowly getting stronger with greater numbers of Blue Chip players coming out
of high school, and many now choosing the A10.
So in answer to your question, I believe that some "noise" could be coming, but it may take a few more years.
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

Nice weekend performance by three A10 teams in the middle of the pack: Mason, LaSalle and Duquesne.
MASON.......Pulled out a win against Duquesne 14-13 and beat Davidson 11-7
LASALLE.....Beat St. Bonnie's 14-8 and lost a tight one to Richmond 14-13.
DUQUESNE...Played tough and lost 2 squeakers, to Mason 14-13, and to UMass 16-15.
Good to see the competition.
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

Congratulations to the 6 teams who will play in the conference championship at the end of this week.
UMass, Richmond and St. Joe's were expected to make it, but there were also 1 or 2 nice surprises.
A special shout out to the other 3 teams who made strong late-season runs to cement their spots:
Mason, VCU and Duquesne. Seedings are :
1 UMass
2 Mason
3 Richmond
4 St. Joe's
5 VCU
6 Duquesne
UMass and Mason each earn a first round bye.
Quarterfinals are Thursday: St. Joe's vs. VCU and Richmond vs. Duquesne
Semifinals on Friday, Finals on Sunday. Conference champ gets the AQ for the NCAAs.
Let the games begin!
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

This should be an very interesting A10 tourney. I personally think anyone that made the tournament is capable of winning. UMass was undefeated but they had a few really close games. Richmond lost 2 A10 games in overtime to Mason and UMass. I still think UMass and Richmond are the favorites, but Mason, St Joe's, Duquesne, and VCU all have the ability to pull off upsets and potentially win the A10 if all the stars align. Congrats and good luck to all the teams that made it!
SPIDERLAXFAN

NCAA WOMEN'S LACROSSE RPI RANKINGS

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

NCAA WOMEN'S LACROSSE RPI RANKINGS

Here are the NCAA RPI rankings for the A10 teams going into tournament play
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse- ... crosse-rpi

22 Massachusetts
27 Richmond
43 George Mason
45 Saint Joseph's
58 Duquesne
61 VCU
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

UMass/Richmond headed into OT for the AQ tied at 18. Wow!

Spiders score with 4 ticks left to tie it up.

Update: Spiders complete the comeback in OT, 19-18. Richmond is headed to the dance with the A10 AQ!
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Congrats to Spiders WLAX for an impressive rally to beat arch rival UMASS. This Spider dug deep to comeback from a 5 point deficit, tie it up, and win in OT. 2 interesting things that occurred which makes this win that much more satisfying. The UR team stated the game 3 players down due stick violations before the game ever started. Apparently they were cracked and were not checked during pregame stick checks. There were all issues yellow cards. Never seen this in my life. If anyone with knowledge on this wants chime in please do. Secondly, UMass was 30-8 on the draw and UR still won. That’s insane! Congrats to both teams who left it all on the field.
Ipayforlax

Post by Ipayforlax »

The Refs found the cracks during the pregame stick checks and told the girl's to put them under the table so they wouldn't be used. The UMass coach heard this and insisted cards be issued. She also called for a stick check on the UR draw stick before the OT. She's winning draws 30-8 and calls for a check! Bush league!
aubartolomei

Post by aubartolomei »

"insisted cards be issued" aka "insisted the rule book be followed"
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

Congratulations to the warriors from both teams who battled it out into overtime (again).
UMass and Richmond are familiar foes who always bring out the best in each other.
Best of luck to the Spiders as they represent the A10 in the NCAA Tournament.
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

The University of Richmond Spiders to play Loyola this Sunday at Princeton University in round 1 of the NCAA tourney. After watching the Greyhounds play in the Patriot tournament, I think this will be a good match up for the Spiders. This Richmond team has peaked at the right time. Offense has been been running on all cylinders with great ball movement and unselfish play. The defense led by Julie Ball has been really strong all year. Obviously UR will be a big underdog in this match, but it will no doubt be exciting game to watch. GO SPIDERS!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

SPIDERLAXFAN wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:52 pm The University of Richmond Spiders to play Loyola this Sunday at Princeton University in round 1 of the NCAA tourney. After watching the Greyhounds play in the Patriot tournament, I think this will be a good match up for the Spiders. This Richmond team has peaked at the right time. Offense has been been running on all cylinders with great ball movement and unselfish play. The defense led by Julie Ball has been really strong all year. Obviously UR will be a big underdog in this match, but it will no doubt be exciting game to watch. GO SPIDERS!
Looking forward to seeing the Spiders...Havent had a chance yet this year. I agree that they come into it as a Dog, but on any given Friday....
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

Best of luck to Richmond. when they represent the Atlantic 10 in the NCAAs.
Hopefully they can break the A10 second round curse!
(Only UMass 2016 went past the second round in recent times.)
Beware the Spider!
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

Congrats to Richmond on their best season ever, finishing with 17 wins and a trip to the NCAAs.
The Spiders were psyched to represent the A10, but got knocked out in the first round when they
ran into a steamroller in Loyola. Here's hoping that the top teams keep improving enough to go
deeper in the tournament. Go A10!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

A10WLaxFan wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:27 am Congrats to Richmond on their best season ever, finishing with 17 wins and a trip to the NCAAs.
The Spiders were psyched to represent the A10, but got knocked out in the first round when they
ran into a steamroller in Loyola. Here's hoping that the top teams keep improving enough to go
deeper in the tournament. Go A10!
Richmond was well represented at Princeton. Arguably more fans than Loyola (including the Richmond track team?)....And it looked like they had the better tailgate :D

But, yes, it wasn't very close.

Good luck to Richmond as they are getting better every year and Coach should be proud of what they have going.
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Congrats to Loyola and all the Spiders especially the 8 seniors who gave it their all. Loyola played a great game and took full advantage of Richmond's biggest weakness... the draw control! It was a absolute miracle that they lost the draw 30-8 in the A10 finals vs UMass and were still able to win the game. Already looking forward to next year and the new crop of Freshman coming in. SLF
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

I missed the UMass/Richmond game, but was also shocked by the dc #s and final score.
UMass' Petro and Anderson have been dominant on the draw with almost 200 dc's between them.
What happened after UMass got possession? Good Spider defense, hot goalie, sputtering offense, etc?
I'm sure UMass would like a do-over, but I give Richmond all the credit for a gritty comeback and the win in OT.
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Richmond defense played lights out. Turnovers were key to the spider win. UMass turned it over 22 times vs Richmonds 10

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”