Lehigh

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Lehigh

Post by Matnum PI »

Adapting Leads to Success for Sagi

By: Justin Lafleur, Lehigh Sports Communications

As Charles Darwin said, "It's not the strongest, but the most adaptable that survive."

People of all ages have been forced to grasp that very concept over the last seven months with the COVID-19 pandemic. Whether it's a person, team or business, adaptability is integral for success during these uncertain times.

Lehigh women's lacrosse senior Samantha Sagi did just that over the summer, and helped with COVID relief in the process.

"I started by interning at Arnold Packaging where I was making a self-schedule website for them, trying to implement a routing system for their distribution department (for their deliveries)," she said. "Then, I did research as a supply chain intern at Maryland MEP – which stands for Manufacturing Extension Partnership – for a portal connecting buyers and sellers for COVID equipment.

"I didn't expect either of those opportunities coming into the summer, but one thing the pandemic can teach you is to expect the unexpected," Sagi continued. "Do whatever you can to do your best in every situation that's put in front of you."
Maryland MEP
Before Sagi's summer of adapting, she and her teammates were forced to adapt to the reality of their lacrosse season being cancelled in March and taking classes remotely.

"Against Davidson (on March 9), we probably played our best game of the season as a team and were really excited to continue our season. But with it ending, we were all pretty sad," she said. "I came back home and took around a week to figure out what was going on and how I was thinking about the entire situation. After that, I got right back to work."

Sagi's Arnold Packaging original internship fell through because projects were put on hold due to the pandemic. So, she reached out to MEP – a company she had previously been in contact with.

"MEP is partially funded by the government to help Maryland manufacturers try to establish companies, businesses and equipment to be built and used in the state, instead of importing from other states and countries," said Sagi

Sagi's role was directly part of a COVID-19 initiative.

"They're trying to connect suppliers and manufacturers in-state for all the needed COVID equipment, like swabs and testing kits," she said. "First, I verified companies were able to provide what they say they could, and at the scale they say they could."

Sagi helped create a better portal to simplify the process. It was a fitting task for the industrial and systems engineering major, and member of Lehigh's Supply Chain Management Club.

"Supply chain is the overall chain of getting anything from the vendor to the customer… while industrial and systems engineering focuses on the efficiency in the manufacturing part of it," said Sagi.

The portal is like an online signup.

"You click through it and present yourself as a buyer or manufacturer," said Sagi. "You select what you need to buy or what you make, and it connects you to companies that match what you're trying to do."

Sagi contributed to MEP in several ways, including seeing what's been working (and not working) outside of Maryland.

"I researched what other states have been doing," she said.

At a time amidst the pandemic when it would've been easy to become complacent, Sagi has focused on developing and improving herself… something that's fostered within Lehigh Athletics.

"Growing up as an athlete, I've always just wanted to improve," she said. "Luckily at Lehigh, I've been able to do that athletically, while also learning how to use that competitive drive in the classroom and real world.

"That drive came from my parents," Sagi continued. "They were pushing me to find multiple internships because we didn't know in May if any of these internships were going to land (due to the pandemic). When one fell through, I had other contacts."

Those contacts led to not only a worthwhile personal experience, but also an opportunity to make a difference in the fight against COVID-19, which has certainly had a trickle-down effect to many people, including businesses.

"It's an honor to be involved in the COVID-19 rebuilding plan and make a little bit of a difference, while learning and obtaining some real-world experience for the future," said Sagi.

Sagi's future is bright. She doesn't know her exact path at the moment, but that may even be a good thing.
Samantha Sagi
With so many interests and potential options, Sagi doesn't want to close the door on anything just yet.

"I feel like I'm not creative enough to solve a problem by creating a new product for the world," said Sagi. "But I can make a product better. I could see myself in a big factory, watching all these processes and finding ways to make them faster and more efficient, which makes the product cost less.

"Then on the business side, I love people and love talking to people," she continued. "My dad has been in sales his entire life. I enjoy artificial intelligence, so maybe I could get into some fields that way."

Sagi is self-aware enough to know her strengths and weaknesses, not trying to do too much. That translates to the lacrosse field as well.

"I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel on the field," she said. "I'm the goalie and I'm trying to get really good at the important skills."

The adaptability Sagi has learned and shown over the summer is needed from the entire team in 2020-21, as they navigate an uncertain and unpredictable time due to the pandemic.

"For everything in life, you hope for the best, but prepare for the worst," she said.

Sagi isn't just saying those words.

She's living it.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Lehigh

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Lehigh just posted this on their Instagram account. Is this a typical size for an incoming class expecting to play with the team? Rutgers introduced about 8 earlier today as well.

Hard to miss the battle scars around the knees of some of these brave young women who play this great sport. Much success to each one of them--on the field and in the classroom.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

8 is about right. 40 kids on average on the roster (didn't look it up so may be off by a few). Have to manage to the scholarship limit as well, which is 12 for a fully funded program. So you can do the math but that would be 30% scholarship per kids if everyone was treated equally, but in reality a top goalies tend to get closer to a full scholarships, highly targeted recruits 40/50% and then you have others that may receive 10% - 20%.

Transfers will upset the math a bit because these kids in the incoming freshman class committed 2+ years ago before transfer portal has become such a big impact.
OuttaNowhereWregget

What a beautiful place, and a beautiful day to practice. Brown vs White scrimmage.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

really disappointing OOC schedule, Lehigh has a decent team and should play up, not down.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:57 pm really disappointing OOC schedule, Lehigh has a decent team and should play up, not down.
They had a good team last year... 3-5 this year with losses to UC Davis and wagner.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:13 pm
8meterPA wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:57 pm really disappointing OOC schedule, Lehigh has a decent team and should play up, not down.
They had a good team last year... 3-5 this year with losses to UC Davis and wagner.
Lehigh is frankly a disappointment this year, really miss the presence of Dickey & Cermack. They had a great midfield last year that allowed the attack to score a lot of goals. This year with a pretty weak midfield the attack is exposed and not strong enough to carry the offense.

Not sure about this article - seems a lot of other deserving teams that would make for great content.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:13 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:13 pm
Lehigh is frankly a disappointment this year, really miss the presence of Dickey & Cermack. They had a great midfield last year that allowed the attack to score a lot of goals. This year with a pretty weak midfield the attack is exposed and not strong enough to carry the offense.

Not sure about this article - seems a lot of other deserving teams that would make for great content.
yep
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Dickey was underrated and not talked about enough
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

user1020 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:40 am Dickey was underrated and not talked about enough
Agreed and yes to national talk....She was a known commodity in the PL locker rooms though.
OuttaNowhereWregget

user1020

Post by user1020 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:59 am
user1020 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:40 am Dickey was underrated and not talked about enough
Agreed and yes to national talk....She was a known commodity in the PL locker rooms though.
PL midfielder of the year. PL appreciated her

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”