Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:35 am BC had a fast break going on, the ball carrier was blazing downfield as fast as she could go but that wasn't fast enough to stay ahead of Hofstra's #7, Alyssa Parella (geezuz h, can that girl ever fly!). Allysa caught up to the gal and circled in front of her causing the ball carrier to cradle the ball in front of her face within the "halo". The ref blew the whistle and the ball went the other way (Alyssa's effort paid off big) as the O player is not allowed to cradle within the halo. I never knew that and hadn't ever seen that call. Makes sense inasmuch as the D can't defend within that halo without being called for a penalty.
That is such a rare call. Good on the ref who made it. That happens alot in HS and College and it is hardly ever called. One of my pet peeves. If you are going to call the defender for a crosse in the sphere, then you should also make that illegal cradling call where a check would require the defender to be in the sphere with an illegal check.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

it was an "illegal" cradle, somewhat common in HS and to a lesser extent college, but to Doc's point - very rarely called.

I remember one of our HS games where we had a ref that must have had that as a pet peeve and literally called it a half-dozen times, all of which were legit but never really enforced before or after that game.
Cletus

Nifty Commentary by Notre Dame's Aldave and Deehan

Post by Cletus »

I appreciate all the insight into the women's game from this analysis of just one sequence. Very cool.

https://twitter.com/NDWomensLax/status/ ... 74656?s=20
Nigel

Re: Nifty Commentary by Notre Dame's Aldave and Deehan

Post by Nigel »

Cletus wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:55 pm I appreciate all the insight into the women's game from this analysis of just one sequence. Very cool.

Here's some more for you. If #25 red holds her mark, or does a better job taking away the passing lane, the last part of the break never happens. More than likely #33 white pushes towards cage herself, drawing a foul, or she turns away from goal and looks for a trailer. Overanxious #25 hung her GK out to dry (IMO).
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's just a pretty text book fast break well executed with a touch of the luck of the Irish thrown in. Gorgeous bounce pass but unintended, that could have gone a whole lot differently. The assist is a little off the mark too which draws the defender out farther than I think she intended to go. The pass is a little low and outside, not really anywhere near the target (girl's got to lean right and lift her left foot off the turf in order to reach out and make the catch) but that works out well. Had that pass been on the money, I'm not so sure the D girl gets caught leaning like that.
Best part of the video to see that sequence is the 2:08-2:10 mark. (If you freeze it a few times in those two seconds you can see where she gives her the target and how far she has to lean and reach to make the catch.)
seacoaster

Re: Nifty Commentary by Notre Dame's Aldave and Deehan

Post by seacoaster »

Nigel wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:41 pm
Cletus wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:55 pm I appreciate all the insight into the women's game from this analysis of just one sequence. Very cool.

Here's some more for you. If #25 red holds her mark, or does a better job taking away the passing lane, the last part of the break never happens. More than likely #33 white pushes towards cage herself, drawing a foul, or she turns away from goal and looks for a trailer. Overanxious #25 hung her GK out to dry (IMO).
Bingo. Should never have resulted in a goal.
Cletus

Anyone else think it makes them look like superhero's?

Post by Cletus »

Every once in a while, I see a player who looks like a superhero with the eyewear. Here is a brave superhero for the Northwestern Wildcats--Liza Elder. She endured ACL's on BOTH knees and still came back to play both times. She was having a good year when the virus hit. She was already a grad student this year so I don't know if Liza comes back in 2021. In any event--a tribute to her and all the courageous and daring young women who play lacrosse. Superhero's all.

Dr. Tact

Re: Anyone else think it makes them look like superhero's?

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:48 am Every once in a while, I see a player who looks like a superhero with the eyewear. Here is a brave superhero for the Northwestern Wildcats--Liza Elder. She endured ACL's on BOTH knees and still came back to play both times. She was having a good year when the virus hit. She was already a grad student this year so I don't know if Liza comes back in 2021. In any event--a tribute to her and all the courageous and daring young women who play lacrosse. Superhero's all.

Coming back twice..that is super.

I love that she wears the goggles correctly....hate the eyewear on the forehead look.
Cletus

Kali Hartshorn and the others that will follow

Post by Cletus »

For a number of reasons, I'm not surprised that the elder Ms. Hartshorn has decided to forego the extra year. It will be interesting to see which other seniors elect to get out into the world and begin the next chapter of their lives, and by extension, what the teams will look like next year with either the added players from the portal, or from missing players who elect to not return for another year.
Laxfan500

Re: Kali Hartshorn and the others that will follow

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:17 am For a number of reasons, I'm not surprised that the elder Ms. Hartshorn has decided to forego the extra year. It will be interesting to see which other seniors elect to get out into the world and begin the next chapter of their lives, and by extension, what the teams will look like next year with either the added players from the portal, or from missing players who elect to not return for another year.
USC May take a big hit
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:58 am
Cletus wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:17 am For a number of reasons, I'm not surprised that the elder Ms. Hartshorn has decided to forego the extra year. It will be interesting to see which other seniors elect to get out into the world and begin the next chapter of their lives, and by extension, what the teams will look like next year with either the added players from the portal, or from missing players who elect to not return for another year.
USC May take a big hit
12 Seniors. That's a big hit alright.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:19 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:58 am
USC May take a big hit
12 Seniors. That's a big hit alright.
A few in portal also
Stanford will emerge as the leader in PAC-12. They have some great recruiting classes .
Snog

Invest in the Asterisk* market

Post by Snog »

With the additional season of eligibility being given, as well as some careers cut short what are your thoughts on the impact to record books?
Some teams played as many as 10 extra games where players put up some incredible numbers. Theoretically they will play to what amounts to an extra half season to accrue individual stats. On the other hand there are players who were on the doorstep of breaking career records that were cut short that leave them just shy of program records. (not accounting for injuries..)
Will there be a ton of **** in record books or will the numbers just stand where they are?
lots to ponder...................
Cletus

Are these FanLax SOS stats correct?

Post by Cletus »

http://app.fanlax.com/category/ranking/47/2020

Seems off when BC has a #4 position for strength of schedule, and Syracuse is #34? That couldn't possibly be correct. Is this list current? As of when?
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Nigel wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:41 pm

Tough transition sequence for the BC defender. Because she was ready to slide to #33, she's a little out of position and looks like she lost her girl (#5), which is where her problems stem from. As the ball comes across, she has two options:

1) Use her body to keep her attacker to a low-angle shot, which is going to be hard to do as she has to flip around, find her girl, move to good positioning, and make legal contact, all in a very short time span
2) Go for the interception/knockdown, which is a bit high risk but if she can get just a little bit of a stick on it, it breaks up the whole play. If she doesn't, she's still on the inside of the ND attacker and can try to get a check or make contact

I don't think going for the interception here is really a mistake. It's not the choice I would have made or what I would coach, but she was stuck with two bad options and was in damage control mode. Could she have done a better job not to lose her girl? Sure. Her teammates did a great job getting back to neutralize the fast break and it became clear that she wasn't going to need to slide to ND #33; she gets caught watching the ball, when she should have turned around to find #5 before #33 released the pass and assumed the pass was coming to her, and established body positioning. But that's just a tough spot to be in. In transition, you have to know ahead of time how the play might change, and how those changes would affect what you should do. Otherwise you just can't react fast enough. She'll get better with experience.

On the flip side, ND #5 did a phenomenal job reading her defender and going underneath instead of above. This is a very high level of execution by ND. Great example of how a good team can make you pay for a small mistake. Would love to see more film breakdowns by players!
Cletus

Free copy of Lacrosse: A History of the Game

Post by Cletus »

Would anyone like a free hardcover copy of this book? I will send it to you free of charge, postage and all. It’s a very nice tight copy – nary a dog ear or chocolate smudge to be found.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Very nice of you, Cletus.
One of the last things I'm in need of is another lacrosse book, but thanks for the generous offer.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

DMac wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:11 pm Very nice of you, Cletus.
One of the last things I'm in need of is another lacrosse book, but thanks for the generous offer.
Haha—oh well. Hopefully someone else out there will want to expand their library.
Cletus

Back-to-Back games this season

Post by Cletus »

This should be very interesting. Frequently, teams that play each other back-to-back split. I think that gives a slightly better chance for the inferior teams to get a win that they may not have won if the team had only one chance in the regular season against that superior opponent. Here's an example from BC's 2021 schedule:

Louisville 3/26 & 3/28
Notre Dame 4/15 & 4/17
At Syracuse 4/22 & 4/24

It's also an opportunity for bad blood to arise. As you all well know, sometimes the ladies can get chippy. What if you play that same team in two days and the chance for revenge presents itself? Does the player take that extra dig at an opponent? Risk a card? Ejection? In any event, I think the btb's will be very interesting to follow (provided they are streamed or televised).

Chippy Eagles:

https://youtu.be/sHXX-LWSXZw

https://youtu.be/ZBSgP7xJdWo
Cletus

UNC—Already crowned?

Post by Cletus »

I don’t know folks, I just have a feeling that UNC could be upset somewhere along the line during The Tournament. Perhaps they were toughened/hardened/made ready by their disappointing loss to BC in 2019 but perhaps they still have that tendency to choke against inferior teams in the postseason. I know that’s a long way away but I can’t help but look ahead.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”