The Unfinished Season - 2020 in Review

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

US Lacrosse Virtual Quarterfinals

Post by Cletus »

No. 1 North Carolina vs. No. 8 Dartmouth (voting begins Monday night on Twitter)
No. 2 Loyola vs. No. 7 USC (voting begins Monday night on Twitter)
No. 3 Notre Dame vs. Michigan (voting begins Tuesday morning on Twitter)
No. 4 Stony Brook vs. No. 5 Syracuse (voting begins Tuesday afternoon on Twitter)
Laxfan500

Re: US Lacrosse Virtual Quarterfinals

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:15 pm No. 1 North Carolina vs. No. 8 Dartmouth (voting begins Monday night on Twitter)
No. 4 Stony Brook vs. No. 5 Syracuse (voting begins Tuesday afternoon on Twitter)
UNC by 5
Loyola by 6
ND with an easy win by a lot
SYR close...by 2
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:02 pm
Cletus wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:15 pm No. 1 North Carolina vs. No. 8 Dartmouth (voting begins Monday night on Twitter)
UNC by 5
Loyola by 6
SYR close...by 2
UNC by 8
Loyola by 8
ND by 8
Cuse by 4
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:40 pm
UNC by 5
Loyola by 6
SYR close...by 2
UNC by 8
Loyola by 8
ND by 8
Cuse by 4
Sorry, late to this party and...seeing Michigan in the national quarterfinals? Another indictment of twitter? Just...c'mon now.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:06 am
UNC by 5
Loyola by 6
SYR close...by 2
UNC by 8
Loyola by 8
ND by 8
Cuse by 4
Sorry, late to this party and...seeing Michigan in the national quarterfinals? Another indictment of twitter? Just...c'mon now.
ridiculous...Mechicken over Northwestern....ask the dude formally known as "wlaxnut" - Izzy could beat them pesky wolverines all by herself..🥍
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:06 am Sorry, late to this party and...seeing Michigan in the national quarterfinals? Another indictment of twitter? Just...c'mon now.
I know--It's obviously ridiculous. But don't reserve all the shade for the twits who voted for Michigan. Include US Lacrosse Magazine. Their crack staff was split on who the winner would be. That's why Michigan made it to the quarterfinals.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:15 am
seacoaster wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:06 am
UNC by 5
Loyola by 6
SYR close...by 2
UNC by 8
Loyola by 8
ND by 8
Cuse by 4
ridiculous...Mechicken over Northwestern....ask the dude formally known as "wlaxnut" - Izzy could beat them pesky wolverines all by herself..🥍
I'm not sure that Michigan would have made the tournament in real life.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:29 am I'm not sure that Michigan would have made the tournament in real life.
Can't argue with you too strenuously. They still had yet to play Denver; at Rutgers; San Diego State (Don't laugh--the FanLax Computer had SDS finish in the top 25 [nah--on second thought--go ahead and have a good hearty laugh]), at Penn St; NU; at JHU; and Maryland. I count 3-4 losses in that group. They might have made The Tournament, but they wouldn't have done much there. They just didn't seem very scary during the first part of the season. I will say this though--the Big 10 was up for grabs in 2020. Any one of 5 teams could have won the Big 10 tournament this year.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:16 am
seacoaster wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:29 am I'm not sure that Michigan would have made the tournament in real life.
Can't argue with you too strenuously. They still had yet to play Denver; at Rutgers; San Diego State (Don't laugh--the FanLax Computer had SDS finish in the top 25 [nah--on second thought--go ahead and have a good hearty laugh]), at Penn St; NU; at JHU; and Maryland. I count 3-4 losses in that group. They might have made The Tournament, but they wouldn't have done much there. They just didn't seem very scary during the first part of the season. I will say this though--the Big 10 was up for grabs in 2020. Any one of 5 teams could have won the Big 10 tournament this year.
They would have had to win the BIG tournament to advance.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:40 am
Cletus wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:16 am Can't argue with you too strenuously. They still had yet to play Denver; at Rutgers; San Diego State (Don't laugh--the FanLax Computer had SDS finish in the top 25 [nah--on second thought--go ahead and have a good hearty laugh]), at Penn St; NU; at JHU; and Maryland. I count 3-4 losses in that group. They might have made The Tournament, but they wouldn't have done much there. They just didn't seem very scary during the first part of the season. I will say this though--the Big 10 was up for grabs in 2020. Any one of 5 teams could have won the Big 10 tournament this year.
Not so sure about that. Because of their stellar #2 RPI and #2 SOS at the end of the season, they looked like a shoe in for an At-Large bid. BUT--what would their RPI and SOS look like after the regular season and Big 10 tournament? I think they may have squeezed in, and may have even won a game or two, but their lack of firepower would have done them in before the semi's.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:54 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:40 am
Cletus wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:16 am Can't argue with you too strenuously. They still had yet to play Denver; at Rutgers; San Diego State (Don't laugh--the FanLax Computer had SDS finish in the top 25 [nah--on second thought--go ahead and have a good hearty laugh]), at Penn St; NU; at JHU; and Maryland. I count 3-4 losses in that group. They might have made The Tournament, but they wouldn't have done much there. They just didn't seem very scary during the first part of the season. I will say this though--the Big 10 was up for grabs in 2020. Any one of 5 teams could have won the Big 10 tournament this year.
Not so sure about that. Because of their stellar #2 RPI and #2 SOS at the end of the season, they looked like a shoe in for an At-Large bid. BUT--what would their RPI and SOS look like after the regular season and Big 10 tournament? I think they may have squeezed in, and may have even won a game or two, but their lack of firepower would have done them in before the semi's.
OK lets discuss this. 5-1 at cancellation of season. I think they lose to Denver, PSU, NU, JHU and UMD. that is 5-5 for the rest of the season, pre-BIG tourney. 10-6 with at least one loss and maybe no win in the BIG tourney (if they qualify in the top 4). So a potential 7 loss team....that would be hard for me to see getting an At-Large. Yes, I know there were a few last year, but that's the way I see it. Your comment on RPI/SOS is the big variable....
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:15 am OK lets discuss this. 5-1 at cancellation of season. I think they lose to Denver, PSU, NU, JHU and UMD. that is 5-5 for the rest of the season, pre-BIG tourney. 10-6 with at least one loss and maybe no win in the BIG tourney (if they qualify in the top 4). So a potential 7 loss team....that would be hard for me to see getting an At-Large. Yes, I know there were a few last year, but that's the way I see it. Your comment on RPI/SOS is the big variable....
I think they would beat either Penn St and/or JHU, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost to both teams this year. I think the RPI/SOS is the key too, and I'm guessing it wouldn't be too diluted by the end due to all the ranked teams they had left on their schedule. Even the losses would be to their advantage. What thinkest thou?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:31 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:15 am OK lets discuss this. 5-1 at cancellation of season. I think they lose to Denver, PSU, NU, JHU and UMD. that is 5-5 for the rest of the season, pre-BIG tourney. 10-6 with at least one loss and maybe no win in the BIG tourney (if they qualify in the top 4). So a potential 7 loss team....that would be hard for me to see getting an At-Large. Yes, I know there were a few last year, but that's the way I see it. Your comment on RPI/SOS is the big variable....
I think they would beat either Penn St and/or JHU, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost to both teams this year. I think the RPI/SOS is the key too, and I'm guessing it wouldn't be too diluted by the end due to all the ranked teams they had left on their schedule. Even the losses would be to their advantage. What thinkest thou?
I like the coach and the school, but their only "good" 2020 win, in my book, is against Colorado. Squeaking by Albany and Jacksonville do not impress me..So, I think they lose both to JHU and PSU. PSU has arguably one of the best goalies this year and she could steal that game. They could win against Denver as they both played Vandy (Denver lost, Mich won) and the illogical transitive power would have them win that one, but, I am just guessing they lose.

SOS/RPI and BIG tourney bid would all be factors in getting that at-large. I don't know about whether the SOS/RPI would be weakened or strengthened.
Dr. Tact

more twittter shenanigans

Post by Dr. Tact »

One hour into the voting and surprise, Michigan is killing ND?

I think there are some Bots doing some twitter line-moving
Cletus

Re: The Unfinished Season - 2020 in Review

Post by Cletus »

Lax247 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:51 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:40 pm :o with 2 hours left on the Twitter polling, Nortwestern is being "beat" by Michigan 49.3% to 50.7% :o :shock:
Wow surprised US lax mag went with Michigan to beat NU??

And the stupidity continues...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MND vote.png
MND vote.png (90.49 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

uh, it's a virtual tournament with winners based on popularity - no different than American Idol...
njbill

Post by njbill »

I asked a question when this virtual tournament was first announced, but never got an answer. Pardon my ignorance, but is one Twitter user or voter only allowed one vote, or can he or she vote as many times as they want, like on American Idol.

Given the numbers, it does not look like bots are involved.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:55 am I like the coach and the school, but their only "good" 2020 win, in my book, is against Colorado.

I can't give you the Rockies, Doc. Colorado didn't even show up to play that game. They might as well have forfeited--would have saved everyone time and money.

Squeaking by Albany and Jacksonville do not impress me..

I agree, though I was a little impressed with the Dolphin win. On the road with opponent looking for revenge. They didn't have much going for them that afternoon but they still ground out a win against a good team that they nevertheless should beat. The Albany win was decent in seacoaster's view. Not in mine but I do respect sea's opinion.

You have to give them some credit (and I'm talking to myself a little bit here too) for the 2 goal Trojan road loss. That same team was undefeated and embarrassed BC on the same field. A little credit is due too for going into Tennessee and beating the Commodores.

So, I think they lose both to JHU and PSU. PSU has arguably one of the best goalies this year and she could steal that game.

I'd give Michigan the edge over both these teams. I know Suplee is a very good GK but she's no Megan Taylor. She was letting in a lot more goals over the team's last 3 games:

22 goals (15 saves) vs Loyola
16 goals (10 saves) at JMU
13 goals (11 saves) at Vandy

They could win against Denver as they both played Vandy (Denver lost, Mich won) and the illogical transitive power would have them win that one, but, I am just guessing they lose.

SOS/RPI and BIG tourney bid would all be factors in getting that at-large. I don't know about whether the SOS/RPI would be weakened or strengthened.

I agree--no way of telling how they would have wound up.
Good to be discussing women's lacrosse. My my, what a long wait we have till next year.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:00 pm I asked a question when this virtual tournament was first announced, but never got an answer. Pardon my ignorance, but is one Twitter user or voter only allowed one vote, or can he or she vote as many times as they want, like on American Idol.

Given the numbers, it does not look like bots are involved.
One vote per user, Bill.

No bots maybe--but lots of Twitwits.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:46 am uh, it's a virtual tournament with winners based on popularity - no different than American Idol...
Only partly true. The Twitwit audience is limited--they can only vote once per user, and all their votes combined only count toward 50%. The US Lacrosse staff is allotted the other 50% of the decision. That's why some of us think there's something rotten in Ann Arbor (and at US Lacrosse headquarters for that matter, as well.)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”