D1 Womens Lacrosse
Bart

Re: COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

Post by Bart »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:36 pm
seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:40 am
njbill wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:32 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:13 pm Ivy League cancels M/W BB tournament
This was just five days ago, Tues. March 10. Seems like five years ago now.
Exactly; everything seems like an age ago now because of the country's transformation of consciousness of this virus. Time to keep a diary: Life in the Time of the Coronavirus.
You can start with something like this:

Day 1: Everything and almost everyone has gone full stupid in the wake of this nothingburger.
Curious and honest question,when does a nothingburger turn into a somethingburger? What is that death rate in your opinion?
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

Bart wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:17 pm

Day 1: Everything and almost everyone has gone full stupid in the wake of this nothingburger.
Curious and honest question,when does a nothingburger turn into a somethingburger? What is that death rate in your opinion?
[/quote]

Fair enough. You might want to get some tea, coffee or beer because this is gonna be a long one.

First of all, have you ever heard of the H1N1 pandemic, or perhaps by its more common name: swine flu? It lasted roughly from March 2009 through August 2010. In the United States alone, at least 60 million were infected. The population in the country at that time was 300 million, give or take a few. That's 20% of the population. At least a quarter of a million were hospitalized. Somewhere between 3500-12,000 people died (CDC gives the higher number, lower number is confirmed cases though that doesn't make much sense). Now worldwide, somewhere between 700 million-1.4 billion worldwide were infected and deaths were around 150-almost 600,000. There was nowhere near the panic or media coverage that I'm seeing now. I suspect part of the latter in the previous sentence was we had another president in office then. I won't go any further on this because it's bordering on politics, but I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

As of this post, there are now 85 dead in the US, that's in about a month or so. 48 of those are in Washington state. I have no doubt that the number will climb and I wouldn't be surprised if we hit a thousand before it's all said and done. Having said that, there are currently about 330 million people living here. We have locked down pretty much the entire country at this point. So let's recap: We've had less than 100 deaths so far, several thousand infected and we're ready to tank the economy and go into a depression. If everyone is staying home, pray tell how we're going to get food? I'm not too concerned myself since we're fairly well stocked here. Others? Not so much. People in cities are probably going to have some serious problems. Better hope those supply chains don't get frayed or we're gonna really be in trouble then.

China is getting hit hard because that was the origin point of the virus. I don't believe anything that's coming out of that country because the ChiCom government hasn't been exactly forthcoming about anything in the best of times. However, I'd say that they've lost a lot more than several thousand. You don't lock down entire cities if the death toll is that low. My guess is that a lot more people are dead there. Their health care sucks and they're not exactly the healthiest people (chain smoking and the industrial smog is really bad there). So yeah, no real surprise that they're taking it on the chin.

Iran...well, you had guys licking shrines in the hope that by doing so, they'll be taking the germs so no one else gets them. Real awesome Dark Age rationality there, which is why they're 3rd in the world with over 850 dead so far (again, probably more but it's not exactly the most open society).

Well, what about Italy? I mean, it's so weird that they're getting slammed, right? Well, there's a pretty straightforward answer to that and remarkably simple. Back in the 90's, the Italians thought it was a great idea to let a bunch of Chinese into the country (not being racist, just telling it like it is). Italy has one of the highest populations of Chinese in Europe with at least 300,000 and possibly as much as a million. I'll just say a half million. A lot of them were going back and forth to China for the Chinese New Year and guess where a lot of those flights were headed? If you said Wuhan, you win the prize. Since the bulk of them live in the northern part of the country and that's where the virus started in Italy, again, no huge surprise there. Coupled with the fact that Italy is pretty much a highway for tons of migrants headed through for the rest of Europe, that's just a perfect storm of not good (hell, I've heard that they're getting to the point where anyone over 80 getting it will not be treated...socialized medicine at its finest I guess). They have (well, had) an open borders policy that made us look like a hermit state by comparison. Spain is also a main entry point into Europe for the migrants, so again, not really surprising that they're getting hit. I suspect that Greece will start feeling it as well for the same reason. The rest of Europe will get dive bombed with the virus because of their open border.

But here's the thing. The virus, while very contagious, is also very mild. It is unlikely that we're going to have massive amounts of dead due to this. Of course, the elderly and the very unhealthy are at risk of dying from this. But they would be susceptible to any flu going around and I haven't seen the level of concern for these two groups for that (which annoys me when I keep seeing "omg, what about the elderly?".

You know who isn't panicking in the midst of all of this? Governments, well not to extent that the regular people are. An "aid" package was passed by the House the other day and I suspect that very, very little has anything to do with the coronavirus. In fact, I'd bet money that the vast majority of the stuff in that package is useless pork garbage.

Hey, did you know that China produces 90% of our pharmaceuticals? Yeah, that's not good, especially when they threaten to cut us off from those drugs (which they have threatened to do recently). Maybe, just maybe it would be a good idea for us to bring some of that industry back here so they can't literally point a gun to our collective heads.

I can't emphasize this enough: Do. Not. Lose. Your. Head. Over. This. The best thing you can do is stay calm and rational through this. Right now, the panic is worse than the actual virus. There's also another good reason not to panic. Panic induces stress, a lot of it. You know what's really not good for your immune system? Stress.

That's about it, I think. Think on it, get mad at me, whatever. It is what it is.
Turtles Lax

Post by Turtles Lax »

Good analysis. Good post.

IMHO, total overreaction by the government. Nobody seems to care about long lasting economic effects. Or workers. Some small businesses will close forever. Large businesses already in distress will, too.

First heard of the coronavirus in mid-January. Was in Australia at the time. The world has not come to an end...two (2!) months later.

Peace, out.

TL
njbill

Post by njbill »

worm and TL, ALL of the experts in the world, every single one of them in every single country, disagree with you. I frankly don’t understand why some people don’t get it.

Two things. One, if you don’t care if you get infected, that is your business, but if you do get the disease, please stay away from others because you have no right to recklessly infect them. Two, please sign up immediately to be a guinea pig in the vaccine trials. Since you are so confident this virus is no big deal, I’m sure you’ll have no problem being injected with the virus in the vaccine.

You want to talk about the swine flu? Do the math. If 60 million people get infected by the coronavirus, based on the estimated death rates of 1% to 3%, then 600,000 to 1.8 million people will die. Maybe (hopefully) the number of deaths will be lower, but no one thinks they will be anywhere near the swine flu levels of 3500 to 12,000.

The economic effects of the measures being taken by the governments have to take a backseat to the health and safety of the citizens right now. Once this is all over, almost everybody will recover financially. If you are concerned about that, then patronize your local merchants once things clear up. I plan to.
Bart

Post by Bart »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:06 pm
Bart wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:17 pm

laxorangebookworm wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:06 pm Fair enough. You might want to get some tea, coffee or beer because this is gonna be a long one.

First of all, have you ever heard of the H1N1 pandemic, or perhaps by its more common name: swine flu? It lasted roughly from March 2009 through August 2010. In the United States alone, at least 60 million were infected. The population in the country at that time was 300 million, give or take a few. That's 20% of the population. At least a quarter of a million were hospitalized. Somewhere between 3500-12,000 people died (CDC gives the higher number, lower number is confirmed cases though that doesn't make much sense). Now worldwide, somewhere between 700 million-1.4 billion worldwide were infected and deaths were around 150-almost 600,000. There was nowhere near the panic or media coverage that I'm seeing now. I suspect part of the latter in the previous sentence was we had another president in office then. I won't go any further on this because it's bordering on politics, but I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

As of this post, there are now 85 dead in the US, that's in about a month or so. 48 of those are in Washington state. I have no doubt that the number will climb and I wouldn't be surprised if we hit a thousand before it's all said and done. Having said that, there are currently about 330 million people living here. We have locked down pretty much the entire country at this point. So let's recap: We've had less than 100 deaths so far, several thousand infected and we're ready to tank the economy and go into a depression. If everyone is staying home, pray tell how we're going to get food? I'm not too concerned myself since we're fairly well stocked here. Others? Not so much. People in cities are probably going to have some serious problems. Better hope those supply chains don't get frayed or we're gonna really be in trouble then.

China is getting hit hard because that was the origin point of the virus. I don't believe anything that's coming out of that country because the ChiCom government hasn't been exactly forthcoming about anything in the best of times. However, I'd say that they've lost a lot more than several thousand. You don't lock down entire cities if the death toll is that low. My guess is that a lot more people are dead there. Their health care sucks and they're not exactly the healthiest people (chain smoking and the industrial smog is really bad there). So yeah, no real surprise that they're taking it on the chin.

Iran...well, you had guys licking shrines in the hope that by doing so, they'll be taking the germs so no one else gets them. Real awesome Dark Age rationality there, which is why they're 3rd in the world with over 850 dead so far (again, probably more but it's not exactly the most open society).

Well, what about Italy? I mean, it's so weird that they're getting slammed, right? Well, there's a pretty straightforward answer to that and remarkably simple. Back in the 90's, the Italians thought it was a great idea to let a bunch of Chinese into the country (not being racist, just telling it like it is). Italy has one of the highest populations of Chinese in Europe with at least 300,000 and possibly as much as a million. I'll just say a half million. A lot of them were going back and forth to China for the Chinese New Year and guess where a lot of those flights were headed? If you said Wuhan, you win the prize. Since the bulk of them live in the northern part of the country and that's where the virus started in Italy, again, no huge surprise there. Coupled with the fact that Italy is pretty much a highway for tons of migrants headed through for the rest of Europe, that's just a perfect storm of not good (hell, I've heard that they're getting to the point where anyone over 80 getting it will not be treated...socialized medicine at its finest I guess). They have (well, had) an open borders policy that made us look like a hermit state by comparison. Spain is also a main entry point into Europe for the migrants, so again, not really surprising that they're getting hit. I suspect that Greece will start feeling it as well for the same reason. The rest of Europe will get dive bombed with the virus because of their open border.

But here's the thing. The virus, while very contagious, is also very mild. It is unlikely that we're going to have massive amounts of dead due to this. Of course, the elderly and the very unhealthy are at risk of dying from this. But they would be susceptible to any flu going around and I haven't seen the level of concern for these two groups for that (which annoys me when I keep seeing "omg, what about the elderly?".

You know who isn't panicking in the midst of all of this? Governments, well not to extent that the regular people are. An "aid" package was passed by the House the other day and I suspect that very, very little has anything to do with the coronavirus. In fact, I'd bet money that the vast majority of the stuff in that package is useless pork garbage.

Hey, did you know that China produces 90% of our pharmaceuticals? Yeah, that's not good, especially when they threaten to cut us off from those drugs (which they have threatened to do recently). Maybe, just maybe it would be a good idea for us to bring some of that industry back here so they can't literally point a gun to our collective heads.

I can't emphasize this enough: Do. Not. Lose. Your. Head. Over. This. The best thing you can do is stay calm and rational through this. Right now, the panic is worse than the actual virus. There's also another good reason not to panic. Panic induces stress, a lot of it. You know what's really not good for your immune system? Stress.

That's about it, I think. Think on it, get mad at me, whatever. It is what it is.
Mad? This is a lacrosse board no reason to get mad at anyone. Your points are taken. I agree with some. I will say death rate of H1N1 was close to 0.02%. Right now the rate for this COVID19 is 3.93% world wide (JHU site) and 1.8% (your number of dead, JHU total in US) seasonal flu is close to 0.1%. This virus appears to spread slightly easier than the flu.

I think you are absolutely right that most people will get a mild case but if you do the math and use the H1N1 numberr infected,1.8% of 60 million is what? Over a million? No I do not think the death rate is that high, my guess in the .5% range or lower and we will not see these type of numbers but anything over 0.1% makes this worse than the seasonal flu. Interesting that the more testing the more cases and the lower the death rate. I would hope we keep the denominator as low as possible.

Sure there is speculation about these numbers. There will always be some type of speculation but the data is the data and in flux until it is over. I do not trust the numbers out of china but I certainly think the numbers out of South Korea are legit, and the death rate there is just below 1%. I think this is why a great deal of people think this is not a nothingburger. You may be right however, I honestly hope you are,and absolutely, Do Not loose your head over this.

Thank you for your response. I appreciated it.

Now back to lacrosse..........it sucks the season is over.
Turtles Lax

Re: COVID-19

Post by Turtles Lax »

Will be more than happy to be a vaccine guinea pig. Yes, I am serious and will make inquiries.

What I fear is irreversible economic harm to millions of citizens...far more than the number of those seriously affected by the virus. Not talking about stock market losses...permanent losses.

Already PRIVATE entities in my community had to step up to provide meals to hundreds of students who otherwise would not eat as they get a free breakfast and lunch in school because they NEED those meals.

Seems that was not a consideration when schools were ordered closed. Casual workers are already underemployed. Now they are unemployed.

Peace.

Note: No more posts from me on this subject here...it’s a lax forum.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Good point. This discussion really belongs on the Politics board.

Let us know how the vaccine trial goes.😀
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:41 pm
Nigel wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:20 pm Dear Diary - Today I got a haircut because I want to look good in case coronavirus visits. My regular barber was closed as he's mid 70's and most likely not taking any chances. So I went to his niece, who took over for her father when he passed away last summer. She's young 50's and chatty. Well, at least I got something accomplished today.

I was just thinking about doing this myself, but I thought I could wait a few days (maybe it will be weeks).
Coming your way soon Dr Tact! Cuomo orders all NY barber shops, hair and nail salons, tattoo parlors to close (Sat 8 pm)
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Nigel wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 am
Nigel wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:20 pm Dear Diary - Today I got a haircut because I want to look good in case coronavirus visits. My regular barber was closed as he's mid 70's and most likely not taking any chances. So I went to his niece, who took over for her father when he passed away last summer. She's young 50's and chatty. Well, at least I got something accomplished today.

I was just thinking about doing this myself, but I thought I could wait a few days (maybe it will be weeks).
Coming your way soon Dr Tact! Cuomo orders all NY barber shops, hair and nail salons, tattoo parlors to close (Sat 8 pm)
I decided that for the cost of 1-2 haircuts, I could order clippers from Am**on and have one of my 3 Ds help me cut the hair....Good thing I dont need to go aout and see anyone :oops:
iloovzelax

Post by iloovzelax »

California state schools talking about not opening for in person classes this fall - if those dominoes fall many schools will be in a world of financial hurt - from loss of student related revenue, and loss of football revenue. Fear is that non-revenue sports then begin getting the axe. Might reverse some of recent D1 WLAX growth, though I wouldn’t think top 40 type schools would be affected.

On a slightly more positive note (for downstream recruiting), seems the percent of seniors returning next year is modest - based on various sources, and interpreting social media posts. So it will be delayed, but recruiting 2022’s will indeed happen!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:52 am
Nigel wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 am

I decided that for the cost of 1-2 haircuts, I could order clippers from Am**on and have one of my 3 Ds help me cut the hair....Good thing I dont need to go aout and see anyone :oops:
Curious - how's that working out for you?
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Just saw Furman cut it's mens lacrosse team due to COVID related budget shortfall. I'm afraid we are going to start to see this on the women's side shortly.
Turtles Lax

Posted in the ‘2021’ thread a day or so again...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...that NCAA is to meet this week re: playing football games without fans in the stands.

If that is true, with the doomers prevailing, it will very likely lead to many institutions cutting spring (read: non-revenue) sports with myriad consequences beyond sports, per se.

Here’s to hoping common sense will prevail...

Peace, out.

TL
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:38 pm Just saw Furman cut it's mens lacrosse team due to COVID related budget shortfall. I'm afraid we are going to start to see this on the women's side shortly.
Mens lacrosse and baseball....with Title nine, that could mean womens sports might be equalized....24.3 scholarships in play. Furman indicates that current student athletes will have their scholarships maintained, but if it is a permanent move, that is alot of scholarships to remove. Assuming that they will only meet the 50% requirement, then women's sports are likely to be affected.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:50 pm
8meterPA wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:38 pm Just saw Furman cut it's mens lacrosse team due to COVID related budget shortfall. I'm afraid we are going to start to see this on the women's side shortly.
Mens lacrosse and baseball....with Title nine, that could mean womens sports might be equalized....24.3 scholarships in play. Furman indicates that current student athletes will have their scholarships maintained, but if it is a permanent move, that is alot of scholarships to remove. Assuming that they will only meet the 50% requirement, then women's sports are likely to be affected.
Having this in the press release:

"Discontinuing the baseball and men's lacrosse programs immediately, and reducing the total number of athletics scholarships by 45 over the next five years, with the reductions spread across multiple sports."

I do not see how women's sports will not be affected.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Bart wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:33 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:50 pm
Having this in the press release:

"Discontinuing the baseball and men's lacrosse programs immediately, and reducing the total number of athletics scholarships by 45 over the next five years, with the reductions spread across multiple sports."

I do not see how women's sports will not be affected.
From the FAQs:
Q. How many total athletics scholarships were offered this year in baseball and men's lacrosse?
A. A total of 21 athletics scholarships were offered between both sports.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Just noticed this thread and read some of the early posts.

Boy, they haven't aged well now that we're already approaching 100k (not 1k) about 2 months later.

Interesting issue re how many programs will be cut.
Hope most figure out how to go on hiatus, not actually cut permanently.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:43 pm Just noticed this thread and read some of the early posts.

Boy, they haven't aged well now that we're already approaching 100k (not 1k) about 2 months later.

troll much?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

8meterPA wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:50 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:43 pm Just noticed this thread and read some of the early posts.

troll much?
really?
Maybe you think they did age well?
Were you one of those early posters dismissing the impact as a 'nothing burger''?

First time I'd been through the thread (I'm usually on the men's side, except for dropping in from time to time on a couple of specific topics/programs) and it struck me as quite amazing how much our perspectives have changed in 2 months.

But that's also past tense...the current conversation about programs being cut is the current topic.

However our rapidly changing perspective does seems to me to be relevant to how we think about the next 2 months, and the next 2 years...

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”