TNLAX

Re: COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

Post by TNLAX »

Bart wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:53 am
TNLAX wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:02 am
Bart wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:05 am
TNLAX wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:36 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:59 pm
livelovelax wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:44 pm The onslought of group think, politics and a litigious society has schools quaking that having any classes or athletics will lead to a lawsuit(s) that kills their business. I don't get it. We are told to follow the data and science. The CDC site shows 179 deaths from Covid 19 for the 0-24 age group. Total shut down. In 2018 we sadly lost 81,000 souls to influenza and nothing was reported or said. What a shame. Another 12-18 months of this will have our country looking nothing like we knew it 6 months ago. Is it worth it?
Well Said, it is NOT. Just one man's opinion though. :lol:
Pls the CDC numbers don't tell the whole story. These deaths, old and young, have all been associated with other underlying health issues. Healthy college athletics n healthy college students are at a very minimal risk of serious complications form COVID-19
Are they the only ones on campus?
Of course not, but it seems, by the numbers, that it only has real negative affects on a very small percentage of the population. Statistically, the professors and support staffs at universities have a greater chance of dying in a car accident on their way to work than they do from COVID-19.
I would love to read the data that supports this. Thank you.
I will try to dig up the article and post a link. It was a few weeks ago, published by a former Amazon employee who was a data analysis expert. His thesis was that most groups and people are looking at the numbers all wrong and he had a very supportive argument.

But on a side note, if flight attendants and grocery store employees, postal workers and almost every other worker in the country can go to work, why cant professors and the other support staff at universities? A professor in a lecture hall or in a classroom, can easily maintain social distancing as can cafeteria workers or any other support staff at a school.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

livelovelax wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:44 pm The onslought of group think, politics and a litigious society has schools quaking that having any classes or athletics will lead to a lawsuit(s) that kills their business. I don't get it. We are told to follow the data and science. The CDC site shows 179 deaths from Covid 19 for the 0-24 age group. Total shut down. In 2018 we sadly lost 81,000 souls to influenza and nothing was reported or said. What a shame. Another 12-18 months of this will have our country looking nothing like we knew it 6 months ago. Is it worth it?
Pls the CDC numbers don't tell the whole story. These deaths, old and young, have all been associated with other underlying health issues. Healthy college athletics n healthy college students are at a very minimal risk of serious complications form COVID-19
Of course not, but it seems, by the numbers, that it only has real negative affects on a very small percentage of the population. Statistically, the professors and support staffs at universities have a greater chance of dying in a car accident on their way to work than they do from COVID-19.
I will try to dig up the article and post a link. It was a few weeks ago, published by a former Amazon employee who was a data analysis expert. His thesis was that most groups and people are looking at the numbers all wrong and he had a very supportive argument.

But on a side note, if flight attendants and grocery store employees, postal workers and almost every other worker in the country can go to work, why cant professors and the other support staff at universities? A professor in a lecture hall or in a classroom, can easily maintain social distancing as can cafeteria workers or any other support staff at a school.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

no, but if they wear a mask and stay 6 ft apart (not 5'11") they will be fine because that's what we were told, correct?
Bart

Post by Bart »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:16 pm
no, but if they wear a mask and stay 6 ft apart (not 5'11") they will be fine because that's what we were told, correct?
5'11" is probably good but 5'10" is iffy..............
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Bart wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:19 pm
Here you go, I don't know much about the author or his credibility, but it was or is a perspective:) and assume it has to be accurate because I found it on the web :D

https://medium.com/analyticaper/covid-1 ... 08e42ee36f
Bart

Post by Bart »

TNLAX wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:15 pm
They certainly can and I would suggest that many will, depending on the university/college administrations direction . I suppose that my quibble is with the notion that these decisions be made based solely on the young and healthy student population. Which is only part of the situation.
Bart

Post by Bart »

TNLAX wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:22 pm
Bart wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:19 pm
Here you go, I don't know much about the author or his credibility, but it was or is a perspective:) and assume it has to be accurate because I found it on the web :D

https://medium.com/analyticaper/covid-1 ... 08e42ee36f
Thank you. Appreciated.

I agree.........if you can find it with the googles it has to be right ;)
njbill

Post by njbill »

TN, if you look at the actual study embedded in the article you cited, you will see that the author’s “drive to work” conclusion was inaccurate.

The study, itself, compared death rates from driving 13-101 miles per day to COVID death rates. The study doesn’t say its stats are limited to deaths driving to work. It seems to me that the study’s stats include drunk driving deaths which one would think would be extremely rare on a drive to work.

Just thinking about my town, we have had almost 60 deaths from the coronavirus in less than four months. I’m quite sure we have had no deaths over that period from driving to work.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

What's crazy is that summer wlax tournaments are in full force in PA/MD - basically 5th graders to HS sophomores...and no, they are not wearing masks are staying 6ft from one another...but there is a real chance that they won't be able to go back to school in the fall!
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

njbill wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:18 pm TN, if you look at the actual study embedded in the article you cited, you will see that the author’s “drive to work” conclusion was inaccurate.

The study, itself, compared death rates from driving 13-101 miles per day to COVID death rates. The study doesn’t say its stats are limited to deaths driving to work. It seems to me that the study’s stats include drunk driving deaths which one would think would be extremely rare on a drive to work.

Just thinking about my town, we have had almost 60 deaths from the coronavirus in less than four months. I’m quite sure we have had no deaths over that period from driving to work.
NJ, how many of those in your town are nursing home related?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Haven’t seen recent stats on retirement home deaths, but the earlier numbers I have seen say the majority, probably the large majority, come from such facilities. Not all, however.

Interested in your report on tournaments. I am heading up to my first one of the summer tomorrow. Really only a play day, however, with two clubs. I checked ahead of time to be sure someone like me could attend, and was told it would be OK. I have heard, however, that the rules are more restrictive at other tournaments. Sounds like that hasn’t been your experience?
Turtles Lax

Post by Turtles Lax »

These decisions lead TL to believe they were driven by influences beyond the academic and athletics components of the conferences/universities.

This is NOT a debasement of the legal profession or those who are part of that profession but they had ZERO business in this process. ZERO. It is more an indictment of the lack of leadership that allowed lawyers to be involved.

Peace, out.

TL
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

The deaths that NJBILL is referring to in that town are all over 75 years old which proves my point. And, most if not all had underlying health issues. The last time I read the recent stats in that town, the average age was 84. We are killing ourselves since half the country is not getting the truth due to their media not wanting to report it. And playing the fear, alarmism card. They are good with isms. You know the other one. Now we have the unions not wanting to go to work. But, they care about the kids, right?
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Teacher's Union that is.
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

livelovelax wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:37 am The deaths that NJBILL is referring to in that town are all over 75 years old which proves my point. And, most if not all had underlying health issues. The last time I read the recent stats in that town, the average age was 84. We are killing ourselves since half the country is not getting the truth due to their media not wanting to report it. And playing the fear, alarmism card. They are good with isms. You know the other one. Now we have the unions not wanting to go to work. But, they care about the kids, right?

Not true. The teachers unions have said they will go to work provided they get more $ (which apparently makes them safer) and the police departments are defunded (which also helps to protect teachers and children from the virus...who knew?).
njbill

Post by njbill »

livelovelax wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:37 am The deaths that NJBILL is referring to in that town are all over 75 years old which proves my point. And, most if not all had underlying health issues. The last time I read the recent stats in that town, the average age was 84. We are killing ourselves since half the country is not getting the truth due to their media not wanting to report it. And playing the fear, alarmism card. They are good with isms. You know the other one. Now we have the unions not wanting to go to work. But, they care about the kids, right?

Come on, lll, you know that’s not true. Please don’t disseminate false information. Some number in their 60s. One was 60. Close to 10 were 75 or younger. Quite a few not in retirement homes.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Changing the topic a bit - wonder if there is a bit of "buyer's remorse" going on with all the seniors that decided to forgo grad school and job offers in order to come back for a 5th year? No fall ball and most likely a spring season that is shortened/restricted...probably not what they thought they signed up for??
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:45 pm Changing the topic a bit - wonder if there is a bit of "buyer's remorse" going on with all the seniors that decided to forgo grad school and job offers in order to come back for a 5th year? No fall ball and most likely a spring season that is shortened/restricted...probably not what they thought they signed up for??
Some of the 5th year players are pursuing grad credits towards a degree (I assume). So, maybe they get to study more ;-) {sarcastica font}
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

More food for thought - what if the spring season can't be played? is there another red shirt given? Can a player take 6 years to use 4 year's of eligibility?

Or, what if a kid decides to take a "gap" year this year given the college experience will be less than ideal - if they received a red shirt last year and took a gap year this year - can they take 6 years to use their 4?

This is one of the downside's to working from home 100% of the time now - pay way too much attention to this board!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”