COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Bart

Re: COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

Post by Bart »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:59 pm ACCT Men's basketball tournament is cancelled.

Apparently, SU-Virginia women's lacrosse is still on tonight.

And the insanity continues...
Looks like we're super stoked to slit our own throats over this overhype... :roll:
I hope this is an overhype
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:59 pm ACCT Men's basketball tournament is cancelled.

Looks like we're super stoked to slit our own throats over this overhype... :roll:
I don’t know if it’s overhype. Can anyone state with certain surety at this point? I don’t know one way or the other. Erring on the side of caution at this point sounds reasonable.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:19 pm

I don’t know if it’s overhype. Can anyone state with certain surety at this point? I don’t know one way or the other. Erring on the side of caution at this point sounds reasonable.
Ok, but where does the caution stop? Academic and entertainment (which are often tied together) are at a dead stop, hell they're leading the panic charge (along with the media). This hysteria isn't slowing down. It's ramping up and feeding off of itself. What other areas of the economy are going to go next? Transportation? Supply chains (already seeing signs of layoffs there)? We live in a service economy. We have little manufacturing now (we're getting 90% of our pharma stuff from China). We're not an agrarian society where we can just fall back on our own communities/farms for subsistence farming. Those shelves in grocery stores aren't gonna stock themselves. So who hits the panic button next? We live in a more fragile society than most people realize. Someone better get their head on straight or we're gonna go down, as in totally.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

“The ACC, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, American, MAC, Atlantic-10, Colonial, Conference USA and WAC all decided to end tournaments Thursday morning before games began in their respective arenas.

The Big East tournament quarterfinal between Creighton and St. John's started at noon ET, but the league then cancelled the entire event at halftime.”

From USA Today

It only stands to reason that the announcement will come from the rest of division one lacrosse within hours at this point.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:28 pm Ok, but where does the caution stop? Academic and entertainment (which are often tied together) are at a dead stop, hell they're leading the panic charge (along with the media). This hysteria isn't slowing down. It's ramping up and feeding off of itself. What other areas of the economy are going to go next? Transportation? Supply chains (already seeing signs of layoffs there)? We live in a service economy. We have little manufacturing now (we're getting 90% of our pharma stuff from China). We're not an agrarian society where we can just fall back on our own communities/farms for subsistence farming. Those shelves in grocery stores aren't gonna stock themselves. So who hits the panic button next? We live in a more fragile society than most people realize. Someone better get their head on straight or we're gonna go down, as in totally.
I hadn’t thought that far down the line. Just focusing on NCAA lacrosse at this point. We shall see as to the rest as the days unfold.
njbill

Post by njbill »

We are in the middle of this thing right now. Or, unfortunately, probably more accurately, closer to the beginning. Weeks, months, or years from now, we will have the perspective to evaluate whether what is going now was too extreme and unnecessary, or whether they were the steps that absolutely needed to be taken to control this pandemic.

Bottom line, right now we simply don’t know. To me, it makes sense, if you are going to err on one side or the other, to err on the side of caution, notwithstanding the consequences to society, economics, and, yes, sports.

To my thinking, one of the most serious, if not the most serious, concerns right now is potentially overburdening the healthcare system. One way (the best?) to address that is to try to flatten out the curve, as they are saying. If we delay the inevitable to some extent, the healthcare system will be better prepared than it is now. If we spread out the period over which people need to be hospitalized, maybe, hopefully, the hospitals will be able to deal with the influx of patients.

Now, will canceling college sports help? I don’t know. You don’t know. Those in charge are making those decisions now. Down the road, when all of the dust has settled, there will be ample time to criticize these decisions, if that criticism is warranted. On the other hand, it may be that these decisions were very wise. We have to wait and see.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Broken record here but again...

why not "post pone" the season with a plan to evaluate the situation in a month or 6 weeks? If all the precautions we're taking slows the spread and things start getting back to normal, they could try to hold an abbreviated season. This doesn't happen every year and it wouldn't be setting a precedent. I think one time we could get by having the championship games played in June...even late June if necessary. Right?

Canceling just seems like the easy way out.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Duke suspends all athletic activity indefinitely

https://goduke.com/news/2020/3/12/duke- ... itely.aspx
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lurker wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:59 pm Broken record here but again...

why not "post pone" the season with a plan to evaluate the situation in a month or 6 weeks? If all the precautions we're taking slows the spread and things start getting back to normal, they could try to hold an abbreviated season. This doesn't happen every year and it wouldn't be setting a precedent. I think one time we could get by having the championship games played in June...even late June if necessary. Right?

Canceling just seems like the easy way out.
Heart agrees with you...Head not so sure....I wish that had happened, but I completely understand why it didnt.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

njbill wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:49 pm We are in the middle of this thing right now. Or, unfortunately, probably more accurately, closer to the beginning. Weeks, months, or years from now, we will have the perspective to evaluate whether what is going now was too extreme and unnecessary, or whether they were the steps that absolutely needed to be taken to control this pandemic.

Bottom line, right now we simply don’t know. To me, it makes sense, if you are going to err on one side or the other, to err on the side of caution, notwithstanding the consequences to society, economics, and, yes, sports.

To my thinking, one of the most serious, if not the most serious, concerns right now is potentially overburdening the healthcare system. One way (the best?) to address that is to try to flatten out the curve, as they are saying. If we delay the inevitable to some extent, the healthcare system will be better prepared than it is now. If we spread out the period over which people need to be hospitalized, maybe, hopefully, the hospitals will be able to deal with the influx of patients.

Now, will canceling college sports help? I don’t know. You don’t know. Those in charge are making those decisions now. Down the road, when all of the dust has settled, there will be ample time to criticize these decisions, if that criticism is warranted. On the other hand, it may be that these decisions were very wise. We have to wait and see.
Well said, Jersey.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

ACC suspends all athletic activity.

https://theacc.com/news/2020/3/12/baseb ... ities.aspx
laxorangebookworm

Badlands wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:21 pm ACC suspends all athletic activity.

https://theacc.com/news/2020/3/12/baseb ... ities.aspx
It was inevitable after all the other conferences opted out. Just window dressing at this point.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

All winter and spring NCAA championships cancelled...(you buried the lede)
njbill

Post by njbill »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:13 pm Ivy League cancels M/W BB tournament
This was just five days ago, Tues. March 10. Seems like five years ago now.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

njbill wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:32 pm
Exactly; everything seems like an age ago now because of the country's transformation of consciousness of this virus. Time to keep a diary: Life in the Time of the Coronavirus.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:40 am
Exactly; everything seems like an age ago now because of the country's transformation of consciousness of this virus. Time to keep a diary: Life in the Time of the Coronavirus.
Dear Diary—I’m too depressed to make an entry today.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Dear Diary - Today I got a haircut because I want to look good in case coronavirus visits. My regular barber was closed as he's mid 70's and most likely not taking any chances. So I went to his niece, who took over for her father when he passed away last summer. She's young 50's and chatty. Well, at least I got something accomplished today.

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Nigel wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:20 pm Dear Diary - Today I got a haircut because I want to look good in case coronavirus visits. My regular barber was closed as he's mid 70's and most likely not taking any chances. So I went to his niece, who took over for her father when he passed away last summer. She's young 50's and chatty. Well, at least I got something accomplished today.

I was just thinking about doing this myself, but I thought I could wait a few days (maybe it will be weeks).
laxorangebookworm

seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:40 am
You can start with something like this:

Day 1: Everything and almost everyone has gone full stupid in the wake of this nothingburger.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”