COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

Post by Dr. Tact »

I think I wrote a comparison post about scholarships somewhere, but here is what I found for the number of D1 scholarships per women's sports.

Basketball = 13
Bowling = 5
C.Country = 18 (split with Track)
Field Hockey = 12
Golf = 6
Ice Hockey = 18
Lacrosse = 12
Rowing = 20
Soccer = 14
Softball = 12
Swimming = 14
Tennis = 8
Track = 12.6 (split with X Country)
Volleyball = 12
Water polo = 8

To answer your question, I think it is likely that not all D1 schools have all the above sports...So kind of hard to guess what would happen as it is a matching scholarship number. It really depends on what men's sports would be cut, right?

My opinion (FWIIW), and this is based on having all of the above sports at Institution X...

Bowling, Ice Hockey, Rowing, Water polo would be my first cuts. That totals 51 scholarships.

Tennis, golf and volleyball would be next on my list - 26 schollys
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Is there is possibility these programs would continue without athletic scholarships? If so, families that have a talented athlete and make under $100K per year will still be able to afford school with need-based aid. Families with talented athletes who are able to afford tuition (50K? 60K? 80K?) will pay full price. The kids in the middle, who formerly used their talent and hard work to help them get an education they might not otherwise be able to afford, will be the ones who get left out of the equation. A very sad state of affairs.
Last edited by watcherinthewoods on Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:39 am Is there is possibility these programs would continue without athletic scholarships? If so, families that have a talented athlete and make under $100K per year will still be able to afford school with need-based aid. Families with talented athletes who are able to afford tuition (50K? 60K? 80K?) will pay full price. The kids in the middle, who formerly used their talent and hard work to help them get en education they might not otherwise be able to afford, will be the ones who get left out of the equation. A very sad state of affairs.
First, thanks Dr T for the numbers, and it should be pointed out these numbers reflect maximum number scholarships allowed. Lots of programs are not fully funded and offer less scholarships.

Then to watchers point, maybe the kids in the middle and their families will make smarter financial decisions and attend more affordable state schools and community colleges. Nothing wrong with attending a local community college for two years then going to your state university. Saving $$$$$$ and getting a solid education.

Maybe if more kids choose the community college route in the future it would put pressure on the private expensive schools to lower their pricing because they may be loosing customers.
springtime

Post by springtime »

It's a good thought in theory that attending community college first would make a college decision financially better off, but the reality is that transfer scholarships in terms of both academic and athletic scholarship drops down significantly. So factor in that they are also essentially "wasting" two years of college experience by not playing with a full four year team, but then have to find the schools that are looking for transfers, find the schools that offer the best academic scholarship for transfers and then find out if athletic aid is available to a transfer. Those are a lot of if's.
Dr. Tact

Sports cuts (not necessarily Covid relate)

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:54 am To answer your question, I think it is likely that not all D1 schools have all the above sports...So kind of hard to guess what would happen as it is a matching scholarship number. It really depends on what men's sports would be cut, right?

My opinion (FWIIW), and this is based on having all of the above sports at Institution X...

Bowling, Ice Hockey, Rowing, Water polo would be my first cuts. That totals 51 scholarships.

Tennis, golf and volleyball would be next on my list - 26 schollys
So yesterday it was announced that William and Mary has made some permanent cuts to athletics...

Sports cut after 20-21.

Men's and Women's gymnastics
Men's and Women's Swimming
Men's indoor and outdoor track and field
Women's volleyball
Turtles Lax

University of Utah...

Post by Turtles Lax »

... is laying off/furloughing ENTIRE athletic department. ENTIRE department...approximately 200 humans.

Yes, know they don’t have a women’s team; they do (did?) have a men’s team.
Turtles Lax

More (big time) salary cuts and furloughs.

Post by Turtles Lax »

The University of North Carolina just announced significant salary cuts and furloughs.

Those making more than $200K get a 20% salary cut. $100K-$200K get 10% cut.

Less than $100K get a 15 day furlough.

And you think your school won’t get a hit. :roll:
seacoaster

Re: More (big time) salary cuts and furloughs.

Post by seacoaster »

Turtles Lax wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:53 am The University of North Carolina just announced significant salary cuts and furloughs.

Those making more than $200K get a 20% salary cut. $100K-$200K get 10% cut.

Less than $100K get a 15 day furlough.

And you think your school won’t get a hit. :roll:
I think this is likely to happen in many, many institutions, and not limited to colleges and universities.
Dr. Tact

Princeton news

Post by Dr. Tact »

Some big names choosing not to play this year....

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... 021-season
ThreeSeconds

Post by ThreeSeconds »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:31 am Some big names choosing not to play this year....

13 on roster. 1 sub. Not sustainable.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

ThreeSeconds wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:05 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:31 am Some big names choosing not to play this year....

13 on roster. 1 sub. Not sustainable.
Maybe the Godmother knows something we don't..... :?:
Dr. Tact

Re: Princeton news

Post by Dr. Tact »

and this...https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... son/56844

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”