COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Turtles Lax

Valid point...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...but care to make a wager there will be as many women’s lax programs in ‘21-‘22 if this insanity perpetuates?

Peace, out.

TL
SPIDERLAXFAN

Re: COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Let me preface by saying my conspiracy theories are usually dead wrong. I have no knowledge of the situation at Stanford, but if I had to guess, maybe those sports were already on the chopping block, and would have eventually been cut regardless of Covid. Seems like a very convenient time (excuse) for schools to cut. Maybe, just maybe they are making room for new sports teams in the future.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

SPIDERLAXFAN wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:10 pm Let me preface by saying my conspiracy theories are usually dead wrong. I have no knowledge of the situation at Stanford, but if I had to guess, maybe those sports were already on the chopping block, and would have eventually been cut regardless of Covid. Seems like a very convenient time (excuse) for schools to cut. Maybe, just maybe they are making room for new sports teams in the future.
I think this is a plain investment decision: free up chairs in the dorms and classrooms for academic achievers who will become donating alumni.
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

Sadly, I suspect what is happening at Stanford and Dartmouth is just the beginning. No football is going to force AD's to make lots of tough decisions.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

What a travesty. Ivy League with all their incredibly large endowments should find a way. I am hopeful that the Big Ten and the other Power 5 Conference schools make it work and have fall sports (especially football) and show the rest of us that it can be done safely.
njbill

Post by njbill »

NESCAC has cancelled fall sports.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

D just told me Patriot League cancelled all Fall Sports.

https://patriotleague.org/news/2020/7/1 ... eason.aspx
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:28 am D just told me Patriot League cancelled all Fall Sports.

yep, as I feared - Ivies, NESCAC and then Patriot league. There will be no fall ball either but there is some hope that football will be played in the spring. My greatest fear is that within a week or maybe two, a patriot league school will announce online classes only for the fall and then the rest of the league will follow.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:13 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:28 am D just told me Patriot League cancelled all Fall Sports.

yep, as I feared - Ivies, NESCAC and then Patriot league. There will be no fall ball either but there is some hope that football will be played in the spring. My greatest fear is that within a week or maybe two, a patriot league school will announce online classes only for the fall and then the rest of the league will follow.
I am still hoping that for WLAX, that the competition days can be pushed back to Winter/early Spring so that there will be some scrimmaging....
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

[/quote]

I am still hoping that for WLAX, that the competition days can be pushed back to Winter/early Spring so that there will be some scrimmaging....
[/quote]

Don't want to sound like a broken record, but barring a medical and political miracle, the '20-21 sports seasons are over.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:23 pm

I'm with you Doc - I really enjoy fall ball for a lot of reasons and hate losing that as well as potential scrimmages in the spring and what may be a shortened season.
Downhill Dodger

Post by Downhill Dodger »

The Patriot League needs to be very careful here. They are not the Ivy League, and in reality, outside of the service academies, they have more in common with DIII schools that are tuition-dependent than deep pocketed, endowment rich schools in the Ivies. The Patriot League has a very high cost profile, that without sports students might take a second look at from an ROI perspective. Why pay 65k a year for a school with 3k enrollment that has limited national reach. Loyola, Holy Cross, Lafayette, Lehigh, Colgate, and Bucknell are really not all that different from the Rhodes, Washington and Lee's of the world. The DIII schools know they are tuition-dependent, I am not sure the Patriot League does. American lost over $100 million in revenue due to COVID, a staggering amount when comparing it to a big state school in the Big Ten that only lost $80 million but has 6X the enrollment, but has research and other sources of income from R & D combined with state support and an overall lower tuition cost structure. Schools like those in the Patriot League are at the center of the bulls eye
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

The onslought of group think, politics and a litigious society has schools quaking that having any classes or athletics will lead to a lawsuit(s) that kills their business. I don't get it. We are told to follow the data and science. The CDC site shows 179 deaths from Covid 19 for the 0-24 age group. Total shut down. In 2018 we sadly lost 81,000 souls to influenza and nothing was reported or said. What a shame. Another 12-18 months of this will have our country looking nothing like we knew it 6 months ago. Is it worth it?
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

livelovelax wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:44 pm The onslought of group think, politics and a litigious society has schools quaking that having any classes or athletics will lead to a lawsuit(s) that kills their business. I don't get it. We are told to follow the data and science. The CDC site shows 179 deaths from Covid 19 for the 0-24 age group. Total shut down. In 2018 we sadly lost 81,000 souls to influenza and nothing was reported or said. What a shame. Another 12-18 months of this will have our country looking nothing like we knew it 6 months ago. Is it worth it?
Well Said, it is NOT. Just one man's opinion though. :lol:
Bart

Post by Bart »

Rumor has it that the PSAC is following suit

Edit: rumor no more: https://psacsports.org/news/2020/7/15/g ... -2020.aspx
Last edited by Bart on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:59 pm
livelovelax wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:44 pm The onslought of group think, politics and a litigious society has schools quaking that having any classes or athletics will lead to a lawsuit(s) that kills their business. I don't get it. We are told to follow the data and science. The CDC site shows 179 deaths from Covid 19 for the 0-24 age group. Total shut down. In 2018 we sadly lost 81,000 souls to influenza and nothing was reported or said. What a shame. Another 12-18 months of this will have our country looking nothing like we knew it 6 months ago. Is it worth it?
Pls the CDC numbers don't tell the whole story. These deaths, old and young, have all been associated with other underlying health issues. Healthy college athletics n healthy college students are at a very minimal risk of serious complications form COVID-19
Bart

Post by Bart »

TNLAX wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:36 am
Pls the CDC numbers don't tell the whole story. These deaths, old and young, have all been associated with other underlying health issues. Healthy college athletics n healthy college students are at a very minimal risk of serious complications form COVID-19
Are they the only ones on campus?
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Bart wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:05 am
Of course not, but it seems, by the numbers, that it only has real negative affects on a very small percentage of the population. Statistically, the professors and support staffs at universities have a greater chance of dying in a car accident on their way to work than they do from COVID-19.
Bart

Post by Bart »

TNLAX wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:02 am
Bart wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:05 am
Of course not, but it seems, by the numbers, that it only has real negative affects on a very small percentage of the population. Statistically, the professors and support staffs at universities have a greater chance of dying in a car accident on their way to work than they do from COVID-19.
I would love to read the data that supports this. Thank you.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”