Picks and Predictions

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Re: 2020 Picks and Predictions

Post by wlaxnut »

Lax247 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:32 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:41 am
To clarify—comment in bold is Lax247’s

If you know kids on the team, which I do and have heard from, you know not all is happy up in BC land, hence my comments. She is super talented. No knock on the talent.
May I suggest that you tell this essential bit of info in your initial post next time? If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt you unless I hear otherwise, then BC is in for a long year of underachieving yet again. And one also has to wonder about the reason for North’s departure from Duke again. I know former BC standout Covie Stanwick spoke glowingly of North, but she no longer plays the game. We shall see how it all plays out…
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:34 am
wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:12 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:58 am Skillful kid. Charlotte North, BC.
So glad you posted this Matnum. I saw this on Twitter and couldn’t figure out how to share it here. She is exceptionally skilled. It will be interesting to see if she is as skilled on the ride/back check. Sam Apuzzo was extremely skilled in that area.
She is talented, but not too many chances for that move to be used...in fact one could argue that if there was a defender on her, that shot might be called dangerous propelling.

But it looks awesome and I am not really sure how she did that first fake shot....wow.

She will need to score alot and with more traditional shots....but again, wow.
I couldn't tell from video, but assuming it's a mesh pocket and most likely a bit "illegal" pocket...used for this sort of thing. I asked my daughter why can't she do that, and got the eye roll!
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:40 pm
Lax247 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:32 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:41 am
To clarify—comment in bold is Lax247’s

If you know kids on the team, which I do and have heard from, you know not all is happy up in BC land, hence my comments. She is super talented. No knock on the talent.
May I suggest that you tell this essential bit of info in your initial post next time? If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt you unless I hear otherwise, then BC is in for a long year of underachieving yet again. And one also has to wonder about the reason for North’s departure from Duke again. I know former BC standout Covie Stanwick spoke glowingly of North, but she no longer plays the game. We shall see how it all plays out…
And further--if North's teammates are talking about her behind her back and spreading the disillusionment and dysfunction of the team with "outsiders"--that team is really in trouble. Coach Acacia will have her hands full trying to keep harmony and focus as a team in 2020.
njbill

Post by njbill »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:47 pm I asked my daughter why can't she do that, and got the eye roll!
:lol:
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Lax247 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:32 pmIf you know kids on the team, which I do and have heard from, you know not all is happy up in BC land, hence my comments. She is super talented. No knock on the talent.
I've never been on a team where there aren't "kids on the team". Usually these kids are the kids who, in their minds, are unjustifiably riding the bench and the people being bad mouthed are not. I'm taking this conjecture with a huge grain of salt.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:16 pm IL's AAs

First Team
A Emily Hawryschuk Sr. Syracuse
A Katie Hoeg Sr. North Carolina
A Charlotte North Jr. Boston College
A Jamie Ortega Jr. North Carolina
Dr/A Brennan Dwyer Jr. Northwestern
M Andie Aldave Jr. Notre Dame
M Ally Kennedy Sr. Stony Brook
M Sammy Mueller Sr. Virginia
D Sarah Cooper So. Syracuse
D Ally Palermo Jr. Northwestern
D Emma Trenchard Jr. North Carolina
D Cara Trombetta Sr. Florida
G Taylor Moreno R-Jr. North Carolina

Second Team
A Brindi Griffin Sr. Maryland
A Kelly Larkin Sr. Navy
A Livy Rosenzweig Jr. Loyola
A Izzy Scane So. Northwestern
Dr/A Kali Hartshorn Sr. Maryland
M Shannon Kavanagh Jr. Florida
M Kerrigan Miller Sr. USC
M Alyssa Parrella Sr. Hofstra
D Sami Chenoweth Sr. Towson
D Kerry Defliese Sr. Syracuse
D Meghan Doherty R-Sr. Maryland
D Marge Donovan Jr. Princeton
G Molly Dougherty R-Jr. James Madison

Third Team
A Madison Carter R-Sr. Penn State
A Maddie Howe Jr. Notre Dame
A Gabby Rosenzweig Sr. Penn
A Kyla Sears Jr. Princeton
Dr/A Maddie McDaniel Sr. James Madison
M Molly Garrett Sr. Michigan
M Grace Griffin Jr. Maryland
M Paige Petty Jr. Virginia Tech
D Carson Copeland Jr. Northwestern
D Katie Hudson Sr. Georgetown
D Callie Humphrey Sr. Duke
D Molly Little Sr. Denver
G Sam Fish Jr. Princeton

Honorable Mention
A Ali Baiocco Jr. Stanford
A Meg Carney So. Syracuse
A Quintin Hoch-Bullen Jr. Denver
A Taryn Ohlmiller Sr. Stony Brook
Dr/A Maddie Jenner So. Duke
M Erin Barry Sr. Penn
M Savannah Buchanan Sr. Notre Dame
M Cara Urbank Sr. Boston College
D Olivia Conti Sr. Towson
D Lauren Martin Jr. Virginia
D Kayla Wood Jr. North Carolina
D Catie Woodruff Sr. North Carolina
G Abbey Ngai Jr. Boston College
Not a lot of IVY love :(
shenandoahslammer

Post by shenandoahslammer »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:50 am
Lax247 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:08 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:17 am Not to minimize the skillfulness of the kid, I don't see other women posting similar videos (though maybe they will in the future) and... Women's sticks have evolved. Again, not a jab at Charlotte. Just an observation about the women's game.
And I doubt you will see any other kid release a clip like that.
Frankly I would have been more impressed to see her interacting with her team-mates and getting them involved - you know make everyone around you better and have them feel included...she’s very new there. Better served to be working with her offense. Just my opinion.
I think Kayla Treanor made a name for herself making moves and shots like this in games and seeing them repeated in video. I have a scratchy feeling of the double-standard here: if a boy (you know, like somebody named Thompson) did something akin to this, we'd be happily in awe. I don't know North, not a Duke fan, not a BC fan, and realize that she has to integrate with a new group of women. But taking a 30 second long video and transforming it into an admonition about her priorities seems a little harsh. They're all still children; they get to f*ck around and have fun.
I agree with this 100% - total double standard and a total contributor to suppressing female achievement in sports. You go ahead be more impressed with her interacting with her teammates, but that isn't making it on a highlight video that she didn't even post. You will never see a comment like that on a boy's video, ever.

That demonstration of creativity and athleticism, even if her stick is a little illegal, is what draws more girls to the sport and more fans to watch. And more players and more fans means more coverage and more opportunity for the girls. But hey, some of you should just keep telling your kids that they shouldn't be highlighted for their extraordinary abilities unless they are dragging the boat anchor of inclusivity with them and just surf around for tea party videos where everyone is sitting around making nice. That will get you somewhere...
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

shenandoahslammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:35 pm I agree with this 100% - total double standard and a total contributor to suppressing female achievement in sports. You go ahead be more impressed with her interacting with her teammates, but that isn't making it on a highlight video that she didn't even post. You will never see a comment like that on a boy's video, ever.

That demonstration of creativity and athleticism, even if her stick is a little illegal, is what draws more girls to the sport and more fans to watch. And more players and more fans means more coverage and more opportunity for the girls. But hey, some of you should just keep telling your kids that they shouldn't be highlighted for their extraordinary abilities unless they are dragging the boat anchor of inclusivity with them and just surf around for tea party videos where everyone is sitting around making nice. That will get you somewhere...
This is a little strong. I detest grouping people into stereotypes. Even though Lax247 didn't include this in his initial post, he is saying he has heard that there is resentment among the ranks toward North at BC. He may be right, he may be wrong, it may just be from some disgruntled bench riders, but I think that's a fair comment when coupled with the clip, again, IF what he says is true from the team, and not just a few entitled brats grousing about their playing time.

"...that isn't making it on a highlight video that she didn't even post." That's only half true. Ms. North retweeted Paul Carcaterra's original tweet with the clip. She also posted the same clip as a 24 hr disappearing story on her Instagram account.

"You will never see a comment like that on a boy's video, ever." Way too strong. If I knew a player was being a diva and shirking his teammates for his own glory, I would call them out, regardless of their gender. And I find it impossible to believe that you're that in tune with social media that you can make an emphatic claim like this.

"That demonstration of creativity and athleticism...is what draws... more fans to watch." Not even on the same continent of what my experience has been. I have no daughters or sons playing, or having played lacrosse. I never saw a trick play that intrigued me (I don't watch Sportscenter). I happened to turn on WatchESPN five years ago and was immediately transfixed by the sport. It was a Syracuse Kayla Treanor team playing in the dome. That's what hooked me--the game itself.

Being a selfless good teammate is a very lofty goal to aspire to. There is nothing wrong with putting team ahead of yourself. And if that means toning it down for the good of the team (if that is indeed what is going on at BC) that is a worthwhile sacrifice.

Women's lacrosse is exploding across this country. A few comments like this aren't going to slow the momentum--not even for a minute.
Last edited by wlaxnut on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:54 pm
shenandoahslammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:35 pm I agree with this 100% - total double standard and a total contributor to suppressing female achievement in sports. You go ahead be more impressed with her interacting with her teammates, but that isn't making it on a highlight video that she didn't even post. You will never see a comment like that on a boy's video, ever.

This is a little strong. I detest grouping people into stereotypes. Even though Lax247 didn't include this in his initial post, he is saying he has heard that there is resentment among the ranks toward North at BC. He may be right, he may be wrong, it may just be from some disgruntled bench riders, but I think that's a fair comment when coupled with the clip, again, IF what he says is true from the team, and not just a few entitled brats grousing about their playing time.

"...that isn't making it on a highlight video that she didn't even post." That's only half true. Ms. North retweeted Paul Carcaterra's original tweet with the clip.

"You will never see a comment like that on a boy's video, ever." Way too strong. If I knew a player was being a diva and shirking his teammates for his own glory, I would call them out, regardless of their gender. And I find it impossible to believe that you're that in tune with social media that you can make an emphatic claim like this.

"That demonstration of creativity and athleticism...is what draws... more fans to watch." Not even on the same continent of what my experience has been. I have no daughters or sons playing, or having played lacrosse. I never saw a trick play that intrigued me (I don't watch Sportscenter). I happened to turn on WatchESPN five years ago and was immediately transfixed by the sport. It was a Syracuse Kayla Treanor team playing in the dome. That's what hooked me--the game itself.

Being a selfless good teammate is a very lofty goal to aspire to. There is nothing wrong with putting team ahead of yourself. And if that means toning it down for the good of the team (if that is indeed what is going on at BC) that is a worthwhile sacrifice.

Women's lacrosse is exploding across this country. A few comments like this aren't going to slow the momentum--not even for a minute.
Well said !
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Ok so it sounds like all agree the video was sick! Not sure the rest matters. There have been more posts and reposts of this video in more places, it can’t help but be good for the Women’s game. Whatever the motives, the game needs more personality not less. The other thing we can all probably agree, it would be a dangerous shot, but it also wouldn’t be called.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:27 pm Ok so it sounds like all agree the video was sick! Not sure the rest matters. There have been more posts and reposts of this video in more places, it can’t help but be good for the Women’s game. Whatever the motives, the game needs more personality not less. The other thing we can all probably agree, it would be a dangerous shot, but it also wouldn’t be called.
I disagree. I would say the trick shot video is what doesn't matter. What is of utmost importance in any team sport is to be a good team player. To put the team above yourself is essential to building a good team. We have seen so many instances of a player elevating themselves above the team--Kyrie Irving, Antonio Brown, Brad Marchand, et al. I'm not saying that's what North is doing because I have no firsthand knowledge. But as I wrote earlier, IF she is doing that, then all the trick shots in the world, even if she can pull them off during games, for overtime game-winners no less, will not help her teammates if she puts herself before the team.

The game has plenty of personality and personalities. You see it every game in the expressive faces of the brave talented young women playing this great sport and the spectacular plays they make.

Just a few examples:

https://youtu.be/umEYdms4NQQ

https://youtu.be/wM4a-WVeH0c

https://youtu.be/wFKoRmRCl2Y
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:10 pm
LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:27 pm Ok so it sounds like all agree the video was sick! Not sure the rest matters. There have been more posts and reposts of this video in more places, it can’t help but be good for the Women’s game. Whatever the motives, the game needs more personality not less. The other thing we can all probably agree, it would be a dangerous shot, but it also wouldn’t be called.
I disagree. I would say the trick shot video is what doesn't matter. What is of utmost importance in any team sport is to be a good team player. To put the team above yourself is essential to building a good team. We have seen so many instances of a player elevating themselves above the team--Kyrie Irving, Antonio Brown, Brad Marchand, et al. I'm not saying that's what North is doing because I have no firsthand knowledge. But as I wrote earlier, IF she is doing that, then all the trick shots in the world, even if she can pull them off during games, for overtime game-winners no less, will not help her teammates if she puts herself before the team.

The game has plenty of personality and personalities. You see it every game in the expressive faces of the brave talented young women playing this great sport and the spectacular plays they make.

Just a few examples:

Think you missed my point. I meant as you suggest the trick shot video doesn’t matter. Chemistry and team fit are what sets most champions apart from rest. I have no first hand knowledge either and can’t speak to the athlete. Lots of energy around this particular subject though.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:59 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:10 pm

Just a few examples:

Think you missed my point. I meant as you suggest the trick shot video doesn’t matter. Chemistry and team fit are what sets most champions apart from rest. I have no first hand knowledge either and can’t speak to the athlete. Lots of energy around this particular subject though.
It is certainly possible that I missed your point. I can be dull and thick to understand at times. I would be happy to try to understand if you can “spoonfeed” it to me.

I’m glad there’s a lot of energy around this and all the subjects on this great forum for us women’s lacrosse lovers.
DMac

Post by DMac »

A lot of energy and a lot of over thinking, IMO. North's clip is nothing more than a person who is addicted to her stick having some fun with it and being creative, it's not an indicator of her thinking she's bigger than the team or game. Anyone who has ever been addicted to their stick knows exactly what she's doing (and I'd bet her stick isn't illegal), and this kind of clip feeds the imagination and creative mind of young wlaxers. It's good for the game (unless, of course, you're an old school purist). In '90 Paul and Gary Gait put out a video, think it was, The Secret of our Success and in it was all of the fancy stickwork they could do which was light years ahead of what most others could do at the time. My middle one watched that tape a zillion times and it didn't take him all that long to master everything he saw on that tape (both left and right handed too). This kind of thing elevates the game, it's not a bad thing.
As for Ms North not fitting in, when Paul and Gary came to Cuse they were not welcomed with open arms by their teammmates. They played a different kind of game, thought differently, threw different kinds of passes, took different kinds of shots, and others saw that as "hot doggish". No one saw it that way in their second year, everyone wanted to play like they did. I'd bet Ms North will fit in fine as time goes on. JMHO.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:33 am A lot of energy and a lot of over thinking, IMO. North's clip is nothing more than a person who is addicted to her stick having some fun with it and being creative, it's not an indicator of her thinking she's bigger than the team or game. Anyone who has ever been addicted to their stick knows exactly what she's doing (and I'd bet her stick isn't illegal), and this kind of clip feeds the imagination and creative mind of young wlaxers. It's good for the game (unless, of course, you're an old school purist). In '90 Paul and Gary Gait put out a video, think it was, The Secret of our Success and in it was all of the fancy stickwork they could do which was light years ahead of what most others could do at the time. My middle one watched that tape a zillion times and it didn't take him all that long to master everything he saw on that tape (both left and right handed too). This kind of thing elevates the game, it's not a bad thing.
As for Ms North not fitting in, when Paul and Gary came to Cuse they were not welcomed with open arms by their teammmates. They played a different kind of game, thought differently, threw different kinds of passes, took different kinds of shots, and others saw that as "hot doggish". No one saw it that way in their second year, everyone wanted to play like they did. I'd bet Ms North will fit in fine as time goes on. JMHO.
Bear in mind that the opinions heretofore expressed are contingent and were expressed with an emphatic “IF”. As was expressed by Lax247 earlier, if indeed North is provoking resentment from her teammates by putting herself above the team, then the criticism of the posted stick trick is warranted. If not, it isn’t.

I hope you’re right DMac, but as the Zen master says, “We’ll see.“
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

I can tell you firsthand that 7th grade girls are going crazy over this clip. It’s even taken them off TikTok for a few minutes which is a huge positive. We are lucky to live near BC and the girls can’t wait to go over there for the home opener. Like DMac’s son, the girls are super motivated to replicate these moves. If Charlotte has inspired more practice for girls lacrosse players, then count me as a huge fan. I hope she finds her groove on the team and wish all of them much success.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:12 am I can tell you firsthand that 7th grade girls are going crazy over this clip.
Caddy Day
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

From a Lacrosse magazine article regarding one of my favorite players, but coach gets carried away with her assessment at the end. My guess is Northwestern’s Izzy Scane will be the premier attacker in the Big 10 this year.

“TEWAARATON WATCH
CAITLIN MUIR, A, JR.
A player in the mold of coach Hannah Nielsen, Caitlin Muir runs the offense. She’s expected to score goals in bunches, while also distributing to her teammates. “Muir is getting more dangerous every minute that she plays,” Nielsen said. “She had a breakout year last year. She’s got the ability to be the best attacker in the Big Ten if she continues to do what she’s doing.’”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

I think there are five teams that have a shot at Memorial Day Weekend: North Carolina, Maryland, Syracuse, Northwestern & Notre Dame (in no particular order.

If I were to pick a team to win it all, I'd say UNC has the best shot just given how they did last year and with a lot of players coming back (plus two goalies in Hennessy and Moreno who are excellent goalies). Maryland will Maryland and I don't believe for a second all the talk about this being a rebuilding year. I've seen way too many seasons where everyone talks about the Terps losing several players and they wind up back on the final weekend. Notre Dame has a lot of experience coming back and some very good freshmen. I'd say losing Giacolone in goal is a big loss and that could make or break them. Northwestern has some real scoring talent coming back despite losing Lasota. Losing Weisse in goal hurts, but Krupnick is pretty good.

As an SU fan, I think the Orange have probably their best chance for a title since 2012 (2014 was good, but up against a crazy good Maryland squad that dive-bombed them in the final). They've got the experience and depth for a big run. The biggest issue for them will be consistency as they were very Jekyll and Hyde last year. When they were on, they could beat anyone in the country, but they often had very long streaks in games where they couldn't generate any offense. That'll need to change this year, if they want to have a chance for a national title.

On a side note, I think BC will do better than most people think.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”