Fordham
URI
Providence
Perdue
Seton Hall
Wake Forest
NC State

Your thoughts ??
Last edited by Dniddie on Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delco Transplant

Re: Which college most likely to add WLax?

Post by Delco Transplant »

If it was up to my wife (JMU ‘92), she’d say Wake Forest!
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

Akron starts up this year, and I believe Long Island University revamped their program (I think it was originally LIU Brooklyn before and they'll still be in the NEC).

Youngstown State starts up next year.

Pitt and Eastern Michigan start up in 2022. Looks like the MAC is making a push to eventually become a women's lacrosse conference. If that happens, do we see a move to a 32 team NCAAT format (16 AQ, 16 at-large)?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Also Merrimack moves up from D2 to D1 this year playing in NEC conference
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:19 am Akron starts up this year, and I believe Long Island University revamped their program (I think it was originally LIU Brooklyn before and they'll still be in the NEC).

Youngstown State starts up next year.

Pitt and Eastern Michigan start up in 2022. Looks like the MAC is making a push to eventually become a women's lacrosse conference. If that happens, do we see a move to a 32 team NCAAT format (16 AQ, 16 at-large)?
LIU Brooklyn and LIU Post were DI and DII members respectively of a two campus system. They made a decision to unite the athletic programs, and since the Post campus had both men's and women's lax (latter a resurrection of the defunct Dowling College program), those teams survived to become the new LIU DI teams. Unlike Merrimack, which is undergoing the full transition from DII to DI, LIU is completely DI now.
laxorangebookworm

LIU Brooklyn and LIU Post were DI and DII members respectively of a two campus system. They made a decision to unite the athletic programs, and since the Post campus had both men's and women's lax (latter a resurrection of the defunct Dowling College program), those teams survived to become the new LIU DI teams. Unlike Merrimack, which is undergoing the full transition from DII to DI, LIU is completely DI now.
Yeah, that's it. I knew something had changed with that program, but I forgot exactly what it entailed when I read it a while back. I didn't know about Merrimack though.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Dniddie wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:03 pm Fordham
URI
Providence
Perdue
Seton Hall
Wake Forest
NC State

Your thoughts ??

That's a pretty random group of schools, have they been rumored to be adding WLAX?
I've always thought Wake could be very competitive. Would love to see Miami, which would be a natural fit, imo
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

laxfan22 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:53 pm
Dniddie wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:03 pm Fordham
URI
Providence
Perdue
Seton Hall
Wake Forest
NC State

Your thoughts ??

That's a pretty random group of schools, have they been rumored to be adding WLAX?
I've always thought Wake could be very competitive. Would love to see Miami, which would be a natural fit, imo
I asked the Wake Forest Athletic Director point blank about adding women's lacrosse. He said he'd consider it if I had $3mm to donate. Told me there are no plans in the near future to add it.
kingman442

Post by kingman442 »

The MAC is adding women's lacrosse - https://getsomemaction.com/news/2019/11 ... iates.aspx

Akron
Central Michigan
Kent
Eastern Michigan (2022 season)
Detroit Mercy (affiliate)
Youngstown St (affiliate)
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

I've always thought (and maybe this does happen) that US Lax should try to locate 1-2 schools every year with potential interest and some sort of infrastructure in place and provide some financial incentives to add lacrosse - presumably, they would do it in areas that lacrosse may not be as popular but where there is a big growth potential (University of Texas, Georgia, UCLA?, Illinois? etc.)
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

kingman442 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:08 pm The MAC is adding women's lacrosse - https://getsomemaction.com/news/2019/11 ... iates.aspx

Akron
Central Michigan
Kent
Eastern Michigan (2022 season)
Detroit Mercy (affiliate)
Youngstown St (affiliate)
Miami-Ohio and Ohio U would both be great spots, i'd think -
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Ohio U had women’s lacrosse about 15 years ago. They shut the program down. If I remember correctly, a player or two from OU ended up playing for the Terps.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:39 pm Ohio U had women’s lacrosse about 15 years ago. They shut the program down. If I remember correctly, a player or two from OU ended up playing for the Terps.
Dana Dobbie
Turtles Lax

The other OU transfer was...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...Megan McGarvey.

Peace, out.

TL
Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:01 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:39 pm Ohio U had women’s lacrosse about 15 years ago. They shut the program down. If I remember correctly, a player or two from OU ended up playing for the Terps.
Dana Dobbie
laxorangebookworm

I think UNC Charlotte is adding WLax and will enter the AAC to replace UConn leaving for the Big East.
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

My understanding is that AD's at larger schools are looking for donors to seed programs in the range of $3-7M. That pays coaches a reasonable wage, and fully funds a program.

Part of the coaching challenge at schools not fully funded is to find those who can coach for less. Which probably speaks to quality and consistency. You gotta love the sport, and figure out how to supplement your income.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”