Dniddie

Big East

Post by Dniddie »

Any insights ?

Denver still the team to beat ?
LaxGuy17

Re: Big East

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Would think they would have to be unless somebody besides Georgetown can challenge. I’m not sure GT is up to it this year and Villanova is getting better but not on Denver’s level. I think Denver could be even better if their Conference was a little stronger across the Board and prepared them for the NCAAs. Until that happens I fear they’ll be a first round and out Team.
Dniddie

Post by Dniddie »

UConn joins the BIg East next year. Is someone moving out or will it be a 7 team conference
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:55 am Would think they would have to be unless somebody besides Georgetown can challenge. I’m not sure GT is up to it this year and Villanova is getting better but not on Denver’s level. I think Denver could be even better if their Conference was a little stronger across the Board and prepared them for the NCAAs. Until that happens I fear they’ll be a first round and out Team.
I think Villanova has finally turned the corner and should be just slightly behind Denver. They've had good recent recruiting classes now that they have a full complement of scholarships. A great school in a lacrosse hotbed, maybe they will finally be able to keep a few local kids rather than have them leave for the top 20 schools.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dniddie wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:14 pm UConn joins the BIg East next year. Is someone moving out or will it be a 7 team conference
What's happened to Uconn? They used to be a reasonably competitive...
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Safe to say the Big East is up for grabs this year?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

With the signing of Jill Batcheller, Villanova just got better. They will contend for supremacy in the storied Big East soon enough. Looking back through the history of the Wildcats, they have been marginal at best since going varsity in 1998. I don't know if they've ever won a conference championship or made it to the Dance but their records down through the years have been pretty bad. I think the best they ever finished was a game or two above .500.
But--the future is on the up for the Wildcats...

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Interesting WIkipedia entry on Big East Lacrosse

"The Big East began sponsoring women's lacrosse in the 2001 season with Boston College, UConn, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Virginia Tech. The original lineup stayed in place until Virginia Tech and BC left for the ACC, respectively in 2004 and 2005. The conference replaced BC with Loyola (Maryland) for the 2006 season, and the Greyhounds remained an associate member until the school joined the Patriot League, which already sponsored women's lacrosse, in 2013. Originally, the conference championship was decided solely by league play; a postseason tournament was added starting in the 2007 season with the top four teams qualifying, a format that exists to this day. The next changes in women's lacrosse membership came in the 2009 season, when Cincinnati and Louisville (both of which had only added varsity lacrosse for the 2008 season) brought their teams into the Big East. Villanova followed in the 2010 season.

The 2013 conference split left the Big East and The American with too few lacrosse teams for an automatic NCAA bid. Also in a parallel with field hockey, the two conferences agreed that only the reconfigured Big East would sponsor the sport, with all women's lacrosse teams from The American becoming associate members. The first season of women's lacrosse in the reconfigured league in 2014 would thus include Cincinnati, UConn, Georgetown, Louisville, new varsity team Marquette, Rutgers, Temple, and Villanova. The Big East would lose Louisville and Rutgers after that season, respectively to the ACC and Big Ten, replacing them with Florida and Vanderbilt (the only two SEC schools sponsoring the sport) after the demise of the American Lacrosse Conference.

For the 2017 season, Butler added varsity women's lacrosse and Denver brought its women's lacrosse team into the league, giving the Big East 10 members in the sport. However, after the 2018 season, the Big East lost all of its women's lacrosse associate members except Denver to the new women's lacrosse conference of The American. The Big East retained its automatic NCAA tournament bid for the 2019 season and beyond by adding Old Dominion, already an associate member in field hockey.

On April 16, 2020, Old Dominion announced its women's lacrosse would join the American Athletic Conference in the 2021 season (2020–21 school year), essentially swapping places with incoming full member UConn. Both conferences thus maintained the six members required for an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

Xavier has announced it will add women's lacrosse in the 2023 season, playing as an independent for its first season before starting full Big East play in 2024."
OuttaNowhereWregget

UConn releases 2022 schedule

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Date Time At Opponent

Feb 16 (Wed) 3 PM Away Fairfield

Feb 19 (Sat) 1 PM Away James Madison

Feb 25 (Fri) 3 PM Home UMass Lowell

Feb 27 (Sun) 1 PM Away New Hampshire

Mar 5 (Sat) 1 PM Away UMass

Mar 9 (Wed) 2 PM Home Manhattan

Mar 13 (Sun) 1 PM Home Cornell

Mar 22 (Tue) 3 PM Away Albany

Mar 26 (Sat) 1 PM Home Hofstra

Mar 30 (Wed) 3 PM Home Columbia

Apr 2 (Sat) 12 PM Home Marquette

Apr 9 (Sat) 12 PM Away Denver

Apr 16 (Sat) 1 PM Home Villanova

Apr 20 (Wed) 4 PM Away Yale

Apr 23 (Sat) 12 PM Home Butler

Apr 30 (Sat) 12 PM Away Georgetown

May 5 (Thu) TBD Denver, CO Big East Championship

May 13 (Fri) TBD Neutral NCAA Tournament

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2021/12/1 ... edule.aspx
OuttaNowhereWregget

I don’t get the UConn hype. Ranked #20 and #21 in the most recent polls. 10th in RPI which is a real head scratcher. The only solid ranked team they played was James Madison and they lost 13-7. The (inferior) stature of the Huskies will be measured quite definitely on April 9 in Denver. After the Pioneers dominate the Huskies and send them back east, all the hype will die down and UConn will settle back into their proper place (in 2022 anyway)—in the lower tiers.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:49 pm I don’t get the UConn hype. Ranked #20 and #21 in the most recent polls. 10th in RPI which is a real head scratcher. The only solid ranked team they played was James Madison and they lost 13-7. The (inferior) stature of the Huskies will be measured quite definitely on April 9 in Denver. After the Pioneers dominate the Huskies and send them back east, all the hype will die down and UConn will settle back into their proper place (in 2022 anyway)—in the lower tiers.
10th in RPI can’t be right. I’d like to see the RPI ranking details if that’s the case.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Justalaxdad wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:03 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:49 pm I don’t get the UConn hype. Ranked #20 and #21 in the most recent polls. 10th in RPI which is a real head scratcher. The only solid ranked team they played was James Madison and they lost 13-7. The (inferior) stature of the Huskies will be measured quite definitely on April 9 in Denver. After the Pioneers dominate the Huskies and send them back east, all the hype will die down and UConn will settle back into their proper place (in 2022 anyway)—in the lower tiers.
10th in RPI can’t be right. I’d like to see the RPI ranking details if that’s the case.
Me as well.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse- ... crosse-rpi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rating_percentage_index

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”