Will Maryland repeat?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: Will Maryland repeat?

Post by seacoaster »

Watched both games Maryland played and, as I say, was impressed by the athleticism, tenacity and pluck of, in particular, the young Terps. But I'm ready to say they will not repeat. There is just too much to replace, particularly between the 30s. If they make the Final Four, it'll be a testimonial to CNR's coaching every bit as much as winning it all.

TL, 75, BRM (wherever you are), etc., please prepare my plate of crow.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:41 am
seacoaster wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:58 am Who were the Terps missing yesterday besides Colson and Hartshorn? I was impressed with the rest of the team's tenacity, and with the freshmen. I am assuming Grace Griffin's run on defense was an experiment only for this set of games/scrimmages.
Here’s the 2020 roster. I didn’t go through it but figured it would come in handy if you want to compare.
Guess the link would help...

https://umterps.com/roster.aspx?path=wlax
Anotherlaxdad

Post by Anotherlaxdad »

NC looked much stronger a couple of weeks ago. I know I know it's just fall ball... I don't think MD repeats this year.
wlaxnut

No Repeat Champions next year, please

Post by wlaxnut »

I know I know—it’s only fall ball, but with reports that Maryland isn’t looking like they will repeat, I’d like to add some teams that I don’t want to see win it all next year, and those I hope do.

I don’t want North Carolina or Northwestern to win either, or (shudder) JMU. If I really think about it, I don’t want any repeat champions next year. I’ll be happy if someone from the ACC or BIG10 takes it, like BC or Notre Dame or Michigan. I know it’s unlikely, but then again, whoever thought the Dukes would win their programs 1st a couple years ago?
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:06 am I know I know—it’s only fall ball, but with reports that Maryland isn’t looking like they will repeat, I’d like to add some teams that I don’t want to see win it all next year, and those I hope do.

I don’t want North Carolina or Northwestern to win either, or (shudder) JMU. If I really think about it, I don’t want any repeat champions next year. I’ll be happy if someone from the ACC or BIG10 takes it, like BC or Notre Dame or Michigan. I know it’s unlikely, but then again, whoever thought the Dukes would win their programs 1st a couple years ago?
[/quot

If Maryland is not to win (and I think that sentiment is way premature) I’ll put my money on Syracuse or UNC.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

I agree, it is way too early. And in Maryland’s absence, UNC is undoubtedly the favorite, with Syracuse a distant 3rd.
Bart

Re: No Repeat Champions next year, please

Post by Bart »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:06 am I don’t want North Carolina or Northwestern to win either, or (shudder) JMU. If I really think about it, I don’t want any repeat champions next year. I’ll be happy if someone from the ACC or BIG10 takes it, like BC or Notre Dame or Michigan. I know it’s unlikely, but then again, whoever thought the Dukes would win their programs 1st a couple years ago?
Why the disdain for JMU (shudder)? A gritty team that wins the national championship? Don't get that.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Bart wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:17 am
wlaxnut wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:06 am I don’t want North Carolina or Northwestern to win either, or (shudder) JMU. If I really think about it, I don’t want any repeat champions next year. I’ll be happy if someone from the ACC or BIG10 takes it, like BC or Notre Dame or Michigan. I know it’s unlikely, but then again, whoever thought the Dukes would win their programs 1st a couple years ago?
Why the disdain for JMU (shudder)? A gritty team that wins the national championship? Don't get that.
Well as my dad used to say – I guess that’s what makes me, me – and you, you.

And this has something to do with the shudder, as well...

https://youtu.be/-HMiV1u6Gko
Bart

Post by Bart »

wlaxnut wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:16 am

You want to define an entire season with one bang-bang play that is fine. JMU wins 5 games by 1 or 2 goals and the National Championship. Seems like a decent accomplishment to me.

Personally, I do not care who wins it all as long as it is an entertaining season with good lacrosse.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Bart wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:07 am

You want to define an entire season with one bang-bang play that is fine. JMU wins 5 games by 1 or 2 goals and the National Championship. Seems like a decent accomplishment to me.

Personally, I do not care who wins it all as long as it is an entertaining season with good lacrosse.
Where did I try to define JMU’s entire season with one play in my original comment—or imply that the Dukes didn’t accomplish something great? I just don’t want to see them do it again in 2020.

What can I tell you, Bart—my shudder is just an opinion. I have many opinions about many things. They’re not all rational or measured or fair—just mine. That’s what makes this great country of ours so great—we can voice opinions. And especially about something as innocuous as sports.

As far as the upcoming regular season—I can guarantee you it will be an entertaining season with great lacrosse. Can’t hardly wait the 3-1/2 months for opening day.
njbill

Post by njbill »

My goodness. We are still talking about plays from 18 months ago? Next thing you know TL will be bringing up Liz Hogan's cross check of a Maryland player all those years ago.

Apologies if you were on LaxPower and I don't recall, but the play was debated ad nausem on LP at the time, as we posters are wont to do. I actually saw the play entirely differently then (I think I was in the minority), and still do. I saw the BC player barreling into the JMU player. BC had turned her head and wasn't looking where she was going. Yes, she was watching her shot (understandable), but she still is responsible for controlling her body and not precipitating a collision with an opposing player who, in fact, was giving ground. Could have been a charge, but I think the no call was correct.

JMU was ticked off by the collision (also understandable). Whether she simply tried to hook BC with her arm and push her away (JMU perspective) or execute a judo throw (BC) is up for debate. I thought BC intentionally catapulted herself through the air to embellish/exaggerate what happened. Maybe she has a future as a Hollywood stunt person.

What is most telling to me in trying to decipher who did what is the ref. We can't hear what she said to BC, but from her facial expression, she seemed to be chewing her out. Maybe the forum lipreading experts can chime in.

And lastly, wlaxnut, I know you are a BC fan and no doubt looked at this play with your Eagle goggles. I would do the same thing if BC were my team. Also love all your contributions to the women's board.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

NJ, always appreciate your insights and glad to see your post! I was more annoyed by the obvious stick(s) to the face (and no call) as BC was shooting rather than the hooking of the arm and hip flip. I get "it's not a foul if the ref doesn't call it". Some call it gritty play, others call it something different.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Thanks. Good point. I don't remember much of an issue about the sticks in the face at the time, but looking at it now, I see what you mean. Not clear to me if there was actual stick to face contact, but it was very close. At one point BC moves her head. Was that because she was hit in the face or was she just moving to avoid the stick? Not sure. Clearly the sticks were in the sphere. The first stick seemed like a genuine attempt to block BC's shot. When BC continued moving and expertly shifted her stick, JMU's stick ended up very close to BC's face. The second JMU stick looked less like an attempt to block or interfere with the shot than an effort to interfere with BC's vision. Obviously if either stick hit BC's face (the second seems a more likely culprit than the first), that should have drawn a yellow. I believe a stick in the sphere is a foul, but I'm not sure how the foul would be administered in this situation when a goal is scored. I assume it is OK for a defender to waive/place her stick so as to attempt to block the attacker's vision as long as the stick doesn't enter the sphere.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

njbill wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:36 pm And lastly, wlaxnut, I know you are a BC fan and no doubt looked at this play with your Eagle goggles. I would do the same thing if BC were my team. Also love all your contributions to the women's board.
Thanks Bill--appreciate it.

Yep--definitely a BC fan. I'm also a fan of Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn St, Princeton, Northwestern, Navy, VT, High Point, Dartmouth among others.
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:54 pm Thanks. Good point. I don't remember much of an issue about the sticks in the face at the time, but looking at it now, I see what you mean. Not clear to me if there was actual stick to face contact, but it was very close. At one point BC moves her head. Was that because she was hit in the face or was she just moving to avoid the stick? Not sure. Clearly the sticks were in the sphere. The first stick seemed like a genuine attempt to block BC's shot. When BC continued moving and expertly shifted her stick, JMU's stick ended up very close to BC's face. The second JMU stick looked less like an attempt to block or interfere with the shot than an effort to interfere with BC's vision. Obviously if either stick hit BC's face (the second seems a more likely culprit than the first), that should have drawn a yellow. I believe a stick in the sphere is a foul, but I'm not sure how the foul would be administered in this situation when a goal is scored. I assume it is OK for a defender to waive/place her stick so as to attempt to block the attacker's vision as long as the stick doesn't enter the sphere.
Can't see how 1 if not both sticks are in the sphere
Turtles Lax

It’s okay...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...TL knows that many (most?) of you spend your waking hours fervently hoping TL’s Laxchix are truly awful in the coming season and lose every game. :roll:

TL is cool with that (not really) but offers this evidence that YOUR University of Maryland Terrapins likely won’t make your dreams come true. :lol:
60DC6050-0BA0-4075-A681-12167DCB2FE0.jpeg
60DC6050-0BA0-4075-A681-12167DCB2FE0.jpeg (25.02 KiB) Viewed 3787 times
That is all.

Peace, out.

TL
wlaxnut

Re: It’s okay...

Post by wlaxnut »

Turtles Lax wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:24 am ...TL knows that many (most?) of you spend your waking hours fervently hoping TL’s Laxchix are truly awful in the coming season and lose every game. :roll:

TL is cool with that (not really) but offers this evidence that YOUR University of Maryland Terrapins likely won’t make your dreams come true. :lol:
60DC6050-0BA0-4075-A681-12167DCB2FE0.jpeg
That is all.

Peace, out.

TL
Tell TL that excessive hyperbole often leads to indigestion. 😉
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Not sure anyone posted this. I knew she missed the Team USA/Team Canada games with injury. Very tough break for Maryland. Hope she takes the redshirt year and comes back 110%.

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-t ... acl-injury
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:40 pm Not sure anyone posted this. I knew she missed the Team USA/Team Canada games with injury. Very tough break for Maryland. Hope she takes the redshirt year and comes back 110%.

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-t ... acl-injury
Wow! That’s a big loss. Brave women playing this sport.
njbill

Post by njbill »

She was a spectacular player in high school. I was pretty surprised when Maryland made her a defender as she was one of the very best middies in the country in high school. But then Cathy et al. know a little bit more about the game than I do. ;)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”