Will Maryland repeat?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
old man

Re: Will Maryland repeat?

Post by old man »

Good ?.

I'm always interested to see how dynasty era teams respond to an early season or ever a post-season loss. The stigma of expectation from teams gone by, think 80s era MIami Hurricanes football-those alums were on the sidelines during games telling players they BETTER WIN.

Obviously, college wlax is operating on a different wavelength, but it's still college & post college age women we're dealing with. Words will be said. Tone will be mean/misunderstood/etc.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:14 am
wlaxnut wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:08 am How does the prospect of Maryland repeating look after the loss to Florida?

What will it look like after the game in North Carolina? Does anyone give Maryland a shot? What if they pull the upset? (I doubt many are expecting that.)

Has Maryland ever lost two in a row or been blown out in the Cathy Reese era? In any era?

Anyone have any predictions for the final score?
I think the question is how quickly can Maryland recover after the Florida loss with two big games coming up in rapid succession (UNC and Syracuse). It's entirely possible that the Terps might stumble some more, but I still think they'll recover enough to make a deep run in the NCAAT later on. I think UNC does win against Maryland, but not sure about Syracuse (though I'd say it's a better chance this year than in others).
In 2012 the Terps were young, they grew as the season progressed and finished the season in the final four losing to eventual champion Northwestern. They lost four games that year including their last home loss prior to Saturday. They had 3 losses over the next 3 years and 2 National Championships. The Terps are young again and will most likely have a few more losses as the season progresses. I think we can say the season will be judged by the growth of this team and not how they played on the third week of the season. Good luck to all ! Go Terps !
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Itsallgood wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:09 pm
In 2012 the Terps were young, they grew as the season progressed and finished the season in the final four losing to eventual champion Northwestern. They lost four games that year including their last home loss prior to Saturday. They had 3 losses over the next 3 years and 2 National Championships. The Terps are young again and will most likely have a few more losses as the season progresses. I think we can say the season will be judged by the growth of this team and not how they played on the third week of the season. Good luck to all ! Go Terps !
Good points...program and coaching are too good.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

One has to go back to 2006 to find the last time Maryland lost back-to-back games. They ended the '06 season/postseason with a 3 game losing streak, including a 19-9 drubbing at the hands of Duke. That's how far back one has to go to find back-to-back losses in Terps history. Maryland has never suffered back-to-back losses in the Cathy Reese era. They've been blown out only once (vs Virginia in 2007 where they got pounded into turtle soup stock to the tune of 15-4).
Last edited by wlaxnut on Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Itsallgood wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:09 pm In 2012 the Terps were young, they grew as the season progressed and finished the season in the final four losing to eventual champion Northwestern. They lost four games that year including their last home loss prior to Saturday. They had 3 losses over the next 3 years and 2 National Championships. The Terps are young again and will most likely have a few more losses as the season progresses. I think we can say the season will be judged by the growth of this team and not how they played on the third week of the season. Good luck to all ! Go Terps !
Will history repeat itself? I guess we will see. We all have the benefit of hindsight, but none of us has a crystal ball.

Now that we can look back on what happened after the 2012 season, who showed up on the first day of fall ball practice in 2012? One Taylor Cummings. Who showed up the following season? Zoe Stukenberg. And the year after that? Megan Whittle. I’m too lazy to go back to look at old rosters to add to this list, but a good number of other really great players also became Terps after 2012. Will MD U continue to get that level of talent in the future? Remains to be seen. (It says here they don’t have it this year.) Cathy and her gals are undeniably great coaches, but coaching only goes so far. You still need the horses.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Is Maryland losing because they are playing undisciplined or are they just not that good and/or lack the talent?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:02 am Is Maryland losing because they are playing undisciplined or are they just not that good and/or lack the talent?
I think it is mostly three things: (1) youth; you just can't teach experience; (2) the lack of a credible midfield dodging threat; they have three excellent attackers in May, B. Griffin, and Hartshorn, but they need the space that was created by Giles and Evans last year; and (3) defense that no longer features Colson, Braig and Taylor, and instead starts a freshman goalie and some folks who are learning in a trial by fire.

They are going to be good next year.
NYstateofmind

Post by NYstateofmind »

Maryland will be very good for a long time, thanks to geography, academics, and coaching (and famous tailgating). They have a deep bench of talent & coach knows how to get improvement before ACC Tournament. Can't knock her for playing freshman goalie - thought one did really well vs. UNC despite score.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

NYstateofmind wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:47 am Maryland will be very good for a long time, thanks to geography, academics, and coaching (and famous tailgating). They have a deep bench of talent & coach knows how to get improvement before ACC Tournament. Can't knock her for playing freshman goalie - thought one did really well vs. UNC despite score.
Let me be clear: I'm not knocking anyone for playing a freshman goalie, or any freshmen at all. I think the world of Maryland's staff. And happily, they play in the B1G now, because the Terps would finish fourth or so in the ACC this year, behind UNC, UND, and SU.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:28 am And happily, they play in the B1G now, because the Terps would finish fourth or so in the ACC this year, behind UNC, UND, and SU.
Likely true ^^^^
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

:shock:
5DC24BA7-4E21-4451-8FBC-A78D443BFA0B.jpeg
5DC24BA7-4E21-4451-8FBC-A78D443BFA0B.jpeg (115.79 KiB) Viewed 3942 times
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

I've said it before but I'm saying it again. Colson injury was big loss.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Maryland plays Navy this week. What’s the over/under on a Navy win??
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lax247 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:54 am Maryland plays Navy this week. What’s the over/under on a Navy win??
I wouldnt be surprised if Navy won, but I wouldnt bet on it. Navy has looked like they are struggling at times. Should be a fun game to watch though.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Navy has a shot if they play well for the full 60 minutes. Thing is, they haven't come close to doing that so far this year. I think this game will serve Maryland well to get their feet back under them and help them gain some confidence.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

It will take time for the 2020 Terps to feel comfortable with each other. It was nice to see Grace Griffin back at midfield as she will certainly open things up for her younger teammates on the offensive side. Last year it took almost the entire season to have the defense work as one and this years team doesn't have the luxury of experience on the back line. Things like spacing and slides still have to be figured out so there is less thinking and more instinctive reaction ,again this doesn't happen over night. Getting better every day is what its all about,so when May rolls around you are in a position to compete with the very best.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:58 am
Lax247 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:54 am Maryland plays Navy this week. What’s the over/under on a Navy win??
I wouldnt be surprised if Navy won, but I wouldnt bet on it. Navy has looked like they are struggling at times. Should be a fun game to watch though.
Couldn’t have said it better myself. Agree.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

I thought Maryland's defense looked pretty good for the most part against Syracuse, particularly McSally in goal.

Offense struggled in the first half, but passing was better after the break and needs a little fine tuning. I think the Terps win over the Naval Academy in a close one and break their three game slide.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Nice pic of Megan Taylor on the sidelines with Navy. Thought I'd share it for TL and any other illeist Maryland fans out there. I know Larry was a great booster of Megan as well.

And isn't it interesting, this thread question is still relevant. Can anyone see Maryland having a good chance next year? Deep down I can't consider a Reese team a non contender. From what we had seen through 6 games, it didn't look much like Maryland would contend this year, but who knows what the remaining 2/3 would have looked like. The Little Turtles were in The Tournament according to RPI (17) and SOS (6) when the season ended.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:11 pm Thought I'd share it for TL and any other illeist Maryland fans out there.
OK. You steal my word?????? The Doctor is not pleased....

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”