Will Maryland repeat?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Will Maryland repeat?

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:11 pm And isn't it interesting, this thread question is still relevant. Can anyone see Maryland having a good chance next year? Deep down I can't consider a Reese team a non contender. From what we had seen through 6 games, it didn't look much like Maryland would contend this year, but who knows what the remaining 2/3 would have looked like. The Little Turtles were in The Tournament according to RPI (17) and SOS (6) when the season ended.
Two questions there, for me (since you posted the Navy sideline). Can Maryland or the Naval Academy get back to their recent levels of success? I bet Coach R will get the Terps righted next year, but that Navy ship? I am thinking they plateaued with Larkin and the Collins twins....I hate to say it, as a Navy brat, but Army was starting to make noise in the PL...watch out Mids.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:15 pm
Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:11 pm Thought I'd share it for TL and any other illeist Maryland fans out there.
OK. You steal my word?????? The Doctor is not pleased....
I thought it was Webster's word, or at least his wife Merriam's.
Turtles Lax

That’s great, Cletus...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...thank you. :D

TL doesn’t know the meaning of lotsa words; illeist WAS one of them. But now TL is smart. :lol:

Peace, out.

TL
Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:11 pm Nice pic of Megan Taylor on the sidelines with Navy. Thought I'd share it for TL and any other illeist Maryland fans out there. I know Larry was a great booster of Megan as well.

And isn't it interesting, this thread question is still relevant. Can anyone see Maryland having a good chance next year? Deep down I can't consider a Reese team a non contender. From what we had seen through 6 games, it didn't look much like Maryland would contend this year, but who knows what the remaining 2/3 would have looked like. The Little Turtles were in The Tournament according to RPI (17) and SOS (6) when the season ended.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Captain Brindi Griffin is returning to Maryland women’s lacrosse for the 2021
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
njbill

Post by njbill »

Hogarth is a good, all round player. I find this video a little odd, however.

Almost looks like an intra-squad scrimmage to me. I’ve been to many games at Agnes Irwin. There always are a lot of fans in attendance, even for scrimmages against other teams. No fans would be consistent with an intra-squad scrimmage.

Also, AIS’ away jerseys are blue so that, too, would be consistent with an intra-squad scrimmage. The large amount of snow for suburban Philadelphia would suggest a very early season affair.

I wonder when this video was shot. Not 2020 as that season was a washout. 2019? 2018?

At least Maryland will have somebody on the team next year who can play in the snow. ;)
njbill

Post by njbill »

Nice pick up by the Terps. Jersey’s Jordyn Lipkin decommits from Stanford and signs with Md. Arguably the best 2021 in Jersey.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

njbill wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:28 pm Nice pick up by the Terps. Jersey’s Jordyn Lipkin decommits from Stanford and signs with Md. Arguably the best 2021 in Jersey.
I agree and would add arguably top 5-10 player in the country in the 2021 class. This class is shaping up very nicely.
Turtles Lax

Cowards.

Post by Turtles Lax »

b1g stiffs just changed the rules to allow osu to play for the b1g ‘ship. They are morons.

That said...a five (5!) game season. :shock:

What a bunch of arrogant, ignorant, cowardly morons are the b1g dictators.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I am more or less on your side on this one, TL.

I think it is way too early to be setting schedules for the spring. Sure, in the normal world schedules are set by now, but we aren’t in the normal world.

One thing we have learned is that this pandemic situation can rapidly evolve. With vaccines on the horizon, I think by mid to late spring, the situation could well be different, and it could be reasonable to play a somewhat normal schedule.

As I have said previously, I think if the season is compressed, maybe trimmed a little bit, and then extended until the end of June, a fairly normal season could be had.

Even if you want to limit travel, why couldn’t Maryland play, say, Loyola and Towson? Some of the top Virginia squads are really not all that far away. Certainly they are closer than most Big Ten opponents.

Although far from ideal, if the season has to be limited to league games, why couldn’t the teams play two or three times? At least that would allow the players to get in more games.
8meterPA

Re: Cowards.

Post by 8meterPA »

Turtles Lax wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:55 pm b1g stiffs just changed the rules to allow osu to play for the b1g ‘ship. They are morons.

Couldn't agree more - complete morons. We just finished club lacrosse - 3rd graders through 11 grade - played from June through last week without 1 single incident. But we can't play at the college level - because why?

Stop with the talk about vaccine this vaccine that - doesn't matter. These kids literally have no risk - we just can't seem to admit that for some reason.

There is no reason to play conference only - in our our conference - we have at least 12 out of conference teams that are closer to us than any of our conference opponents. Again, complete idiocy.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Got to admit though, there won’t be very many bad games with these 7 teams playing each other.…

Northwestern, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers and Johns Hopkins.

Let’s play each team in the conference twice and call it a regular season. Then we’ll have The Tournament hopefully.
Turtles Lax

If playing only six...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...opponents, maybe...just maybe...teams could play two (2!) game ‘series.’

Yes, back to back games...consecutive days. Don’t say it’s too hard on the little ones...they do it in the regular season occasionally. :roll:

At least it would yield a twelve (12) game season for all. And when you include the B1G tournament it’s fourteen (14!) games for YOUR University of Maryland Terrapins. :lol:

Peace, out.

TL

PS: TL knows TL miscounted number of teams in OP. Oops! There are, of course, seven B1G teams.

tl
laxlaxlax

Re: Cowards.

Post by laxlaxlax »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:53 am
Turtles Lax wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:55 pm b1g stiffs just changed the rules to allow osu to play for the b1g ‘ship. They are morons.

Couldn't agree more - complete morons. We just finished club lacrosse - 3rd graders through 11 grade - played from June through last week without 1 single incident. But we can't play at the college level - because why?

Stop with the talk about vaccine this vaccine that - doesn't matter. These kids literally have no risk - we just can't seem to admit that for some reason.

There is no reason to play conference only - in our our conference - we have at least 12 out of conference teams that are closer to us than any of our conference opponents. Again, complete idiocy.
I get what you are saying about youth lacrosse but I think the issue here is more around liability for the universities and probably more importantly the cost. By honoring the conference schedule (which will always be a priority over non-conf games) the Big Ten is allowing them to play and saving money on travel and expenses for those out of conference games.

Recent cases in other sports at those schools probably haven’t helped. Look at the OSU v Michigan football game getting canceled this weekend and then OSU had a basketball game canceled against Alabama A&M last week, both due to COVID cases. Didn’t Duke also cancel their remaining non-conference games in basketball yesterday? And these are big time, revenue generating sports.

It’s unfortunate and sad for the kids and things MAY have changed by the spring but at least making a decision now helps athletic departments plan accordingly along with the coaches and players themselves. Nothing worse than being stuck in limbo not knowing if/when/how season is happening. They know what their schedule will look like now and can prepare in the best way possible. Some great matchups still which will be fun to watch!

I can definitely see other conferences doing the same..
Cletus

Re: If playing only six...

Post by Cletus »

Turtles Lax wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:27 pm At least it would yield a twelve (12) game season for all. And when you include the B1G tournament it’s fourteen (14!)
That sounds like great fun.
njbill

Re: Spring Season

Post by njbill »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:53 am Stop with the talk about vaccine this vaccine that - doesn't matter. These kids literally have no risk - we just can't seem to admit that for some reason.
You misinterpreted my vaccine comment. I wasn’t talking about the kids getting vaccinated. That won’t happen until probably the summer at the earliest.

I was talking about the vulnerable populations plus those in critical occupations. Once those groups are vaccinated, hopefully the C+ numbers will come down and pressure on the hospitals will be alleviated.

When/if that occurs, I think the governors, universities, conferences, etc. will start relaxing the rules. My guess is that things will look a lot different in, say, May than they do now, at which point the spring lacrosse season should be able to proceed largely unfettered.

That’s why I think the NCAA and the conferences should push the season back (at least the end date) 4 to 6 weeks.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”