Will Maryland repeat?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Cowards.

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:53 am
Couldn't agree more - complete morons. We just finished club lacrosse - 3rd graders through 11 grade - played from June through last week without 1 single incident. But we can't play at the college level - because why?

Stop with the talk about vaccine this vaccine that - doesn't matter. These kids literally have no risk - we just can't seem to admit that for some reason.

There is no reason to play conference only - in our our conference - we have at least 12 out of conference teams that are closer to us than any of our conference opponents. Again, complete idiocy.
Two things about the above....

Daughter's club had 2 or 3 positive tests. Not in the 2021s but younger. Some clubs were not allowed to travel across state lines, the tournaments were well run and people, for the most part, were wearing masks. So while I agree with your statement, we did see incidents....

As I mentioned in an earlier post..there was some talk about scheduling based on location. That wont happen, but made more sense to me. For the B1G maybe a 6 game conf. season with locals for the other 6. I know Hop and "We are" always play Loyola. You could throw in UVA, Georgetown, Towson, Richmond, JMU, maybe VT, etc...
8meterPA

Re: Spring Season

Post by 8meterPA »

njbill wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:54 pm
8meterPA wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:53 am Stop with the talk about vaccine this vaccine that - doesn't matter. These kids literally have no risk - we just can't seem to admit that for some reason.
You misinterpreted my vaccine comment. I wasn’t talking about the kids getting vaccinated. That won’t happen until probably the summer at the earliest.

I was talking about the vulnerable populations plus those in critical occupations. Once those groups are vaccinated, hopefully the C+ numbers will come down and pressure on the hospitals will be alleviated.

When/if that occurs, I think the governors, universities, conferences, etc. will start relaxing the rules. My guess is that things will look a lot different in, say, May than they do now, at which point the spring lacrosse season should be able to proceed largely unfettered.

That’s why I think the NCAA and the conferences should push the season back (at least the end date) 4 to 6 weeks.
I understand that and appreciate your point.

I simply meant that the vulnerable population isn't on the field playing, coaching, or refereeing the games or even sitting in the stands (they shouldn't be). The healthiest, least likely to have any issues population should be on the field playing the game safely - we can do that and we've proven we can do that. We've done it all club season as I mentioned from very young to HS without an issue - and yes, someone can point to a single "positive" test or two, but let's remember in this age it's mostly asymptomatic or very light symptoms. for those 1 or 2 that had a positive test, there are thousands who did not which means it's statistically insignificant.

There are colleges/universities where they've with a wink/nod been able to have practices and get together as a team - which supports my point about being able to play - they already are and have been for months! Please appreciate there there are also colleges/universities who have not allowed that so those kids have been cut off since March - nothing but zoom. Now the good news is that they are headed back to campus this spring.

In our conference - it makes no sense to play a conference only schedule - every conference team is further away than at least potentially a dozen non-conference teams. Push the season back 30 days, extend it 30 days and play a normal conference schedule along with a regional non-conference schedule but please - no need for conferences (BIG10!!) to make draconian announcements in December because that only puts pressure on other conferences to follow suit.
westcoastlax

Re: Will Maryland repeat?

Post by westcoastlax »

The Big 10 conference has to agree on a testing protocol for sports to occur. That likely will continue to be three times a week. The conference can not be assured that all nonconference teams will have the same protocols. Testing is very expensive and one of the reasons teams are considering not playing.

Teams need to play basketball to be eligible for NCCA tournament money. If you do not play, you are not eligible for NCAA money. There is likely no such payout for lacrosse. Athletic programs at many schools can not survive without this money. That is why schools are trying and not doing well playing basketball.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

We can lay this topic to rest, finally. It was delayed in coming but the answer has been obvious for a while. The Terps technical reign came to an end last weekend. The storied Maryland Terrapins were unceremoniously dumped by Duke in the 2nd round.

It might be a while before we pose this question again. But as the Zen master says, “We’ll see.”
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

One thing we do know Maryland will repeat, and that is tooting their own horn. Nobody does it like them. They know they have no shot at the Tewaaraton this year. So rather than let somebody else have the spotlight for a change, they have to push their way in and remind everybody how great they are. Insufferable. And folks wonder why I like to dig at this program?

https://twitter.com/marylandwlax/status ... 79492?s=21
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

The spotlight ? It's their Twitter account and it's called branding. If you don't like them and the promotion of their program, don't follow them. Heading into recruiting season after a lackluster year, they should be reminding people of their legacy.

The T winner will get plenty of spotlight from her own program lacrosse social media and publications.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

tothedraw wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:24 pm It's their Twitter account and it's called branding. If you don't like them and the promotion of their program, don't follow them.
Maybe you missed this. I'll repost it here for your edification:
admin wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:54 am …If you don't like reading people's opinions about lacrosse teams, players, and coaches… you've come to the wrong forum.
I don't give a flying crap what it's called. I'll follow whichever Twitter account I choose and grouse about whatever I find there that I deem grousable. If you don't like what I write, don't read it.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”