Will Maryland repeat?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Will Maryland repeat?

Post by wlaxnut »

I don’t think they are a guarantee next year. Looking over their roster, there seem to be a number of vacancies that graduating seniors have left. Right at the top of the list is their goaltending. Kali Hartshorn, though an extremely talented player, doesn’t have leadership qualities from what I have seen the last three years. The Griffin girls are solid. It’s going to be interesting to see how Maryland fares next year.

https://umterps.com/roster.aspx?path=wlax
SPIDERLAXFAN

Re: Will Maryland repeat?

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

No disrespect to wlaxnut or the UMWLAX team, but I am so tired of seeing the Terps at the top year after year. Don’t get me wrong, they are an extremely talented and well coached team. It just nice and refreshing to see teams like JMU two years ago and other non traditional teams move into the upper ranks. They are kind of like the Yankee’s, very easy to dislike like if you are not a fan! :D
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

SPIDERLAXFAN wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:29 am No disrespect to wlaxnut or the UMWLAX team, but I am so tired of seeing the Terps at the top year after year. Don’t get me wrong, they are an extremely talented and well coached team. It just nice and refreshing to see teams like JMU two years ago and other non traditional teams move into the upper ranks. They are kind of like the Yankee’s, very easy to dislike like if you are not a fan! :D
No disrespect taken. I feel exactly the same way – I want to see someone other than Maryland on top as well.
Turtles Lax

Who knows...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...but quite certain Coach Cathy will field a team this season despite all the departed players. :lol:

Do keep this in mind; the GOAT, another of the greatest Terps ever to have worn the red, white, black, and gold and a few other terrific players graduated in 2016. What happened? The 2017 Turtles won a Natty ‘Ship whilst being UNDEFEATED. :o

Like all great coaches, Coach Cathy, Kenis, and Coach Caitlyn focus on the players they have...not the ones who have graduated or are otherwise N/A.

PS: You might not like to play YOUR University of Maryland Terrapin scholar athletes, but they are quite charming and likable off the field. You CAN trust TL in that regard, for sure.

Peace, out.

TL
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Ok good! I would think (hope) as the sport continues to gain in popularity and expand at the collegiate level we will see more parity, but that will take some time!
SPIDERLAXFAN

Re: Who knows...

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Turtles Lax wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:07 am ...but quite certain Coach Cathy will field a team this season despite all the departed players. :lol:

Do keep this in mind; the GOAT, another of the greatest Terps ever to have worn the red, white, black, and gold and a few other terrific players graduated in 2016. What happened? The 2017 Turtles won a Natty ‘Ship whilst being UNDEFEATED. :o

Like all great coaches, Coach Cathy, Kenis, and Coach Caitlyn focus on the players they have...not the ones who have graduated or are otherwise N/A.

PS: You might not like to play YOUR University of Maryland Terrapin scholar athletes, but they are quite charming and likable off the field. You CAN trust TL in that regard, for sure.

Peace, out.

TL
This has nothing to with liking or disliking playing against UM. In fact I would think all teams should want to play them. Team’s only get better when they better quality programs. Also, as a UM parent/supporter, I’m sure all the girls at UM are charming and likable off the field. You can say that about most other D1 teams as well.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

The Terps' chances of repeating are tough, in my view, and that is less a knock on the remaining lineup than an acknowledgement that the seniors (and graduate student) they graduated were really superb, super-experienced players. Replacing Giles and Evans alone will be a challenge, and Steele was one of those players who just showed up in premier games. And that's only those three. They need to replace the best keeper in the land, and an outstanding, speedy and tough defender. But Maryland has one of the three or so best head coaches in the business, and a culture of learning and competition and winning that is, I think literally, without parallel in the sport.
wlaxnut

Re: Who knows...

Post by wlaxnut »

Turtles Lax wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:07 am PS: You might not like to play YOUR University of Maryland Terrapin scholar athletes, but they are quite charming and likable off the field. You CAN trust TL in that regard, for sure.

Peace, out.

TL
I’ve always had a hard time trusting one who refers to oneself in the 3rd person. 😉
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

SPIDERLAXFAN wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:10 am Ok good! I would think (hope) as the sport continues to gain in popularity and expand at the collegiate level we will see more parity, but that will take some time!
I’m hopeful that you are correct, and I further hope it happens in a short period of time—like next year!
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Agreed!
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

they will make the final 4, not sure they will repeat?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Based on what I heard regarding this past weekend (I know it's only Fall Ball), but Maryland was beaten badly by Penn and Loyola, and Syracuse beat them as well. Last year at the same event, the Terps were clearly the best team. I realize that these games are to test out new players, but Penn, Loyola and Syracuse were doing the same thing. However, they all had a bit more motivation for a win.

I could very easily see a UMD drop off this year. Then again, they could be undefeated...who knows.
crusader

Post by crusader »

Fallball is mostly for the freshman and new transfers to see what they have. It is much like preseason football. It is hard to believe MD will not be right there -they get the top recruits in the country every year. For the sake of the sport growing -it would be great for some other team to win this year. I know that I am also sick of Alabama and Clemson football as well. They are great programs but just want someone else involved in the discussion.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

crusader wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:47 am It is hard to believe MD will not be right there -they get the top recruits in the country every year.
Is that how it used to be or is that how it still is? It may be just an uninformed opinion but there are some other teams that the top recruits want to play for like Notre Dame, North Carolina, Boston College, to name a few.
crusader

Post by crusader »

MD can't get all the recruits obviously , but they have a nice assortment of MD,MY,PA ,NJ girls and the Mcd/ M&D pipeline is OK also.There are other great top 20 programs with great academics getting girls as well. I think if CR came calling for your D -there would be some level of interest.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

This seems to be a yearly discussion. Every year Maryland presents a top four team it seems. My opinion is CR has the luxury of getting players that fit her system every year as opposed to just great players. If I remember it was Jen levy from NC who hit the nail on the head several years ago when she said CR gets any Maryland player she wants because they all want to go there. It is up to the states (ie NC, Pa. etc) to develop their programs and for the coaches to control the local recruits. Check the Md roster and you see the vast majority of players are local to the UMD. Perhaps the changes in recruiting will create better parity but it hasn't happened yet.

Judging by past MD teams I expect them to compete for the title this year. It also helps MD that their schedule of top teams every year allows the newcomers to develop quickly.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Maryland75 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:48 am This seems to be a yearly discussion. Every year Maryland presents a top four team it seems. My opinion is CR has the luxury of getting players that fit her system every year as opposed to just great players. If I remember it was Jen levy from NC who hit the nail on the head several years ago when she said CR gets any Maryland player she wants because they all want to go there. It is up to the states (ie NC, Pa. etc) to develop their programs and for the coaches to control the local recruits. Check the Md roster and you see the vast majority of players are local to the UMD. Perhaps the changes in recruiting will create better parity but it hasn't happened yet.

Judging by past MD teams I expect them to compete for the title this year. It also helps MD that their schedule of top teams every year allows the newcomers to develop quickly.
^^^^this^^^^

I have said this for years....watch a 9th grade M&D or Skywalker or any other MD Club in a tournament and you will see the future of the Terps in 4+ years. M&D particularly is a pipeline....and then HS - McDonogh and others' top players seem to matriculate to UMD every year. Quite a nice problem to have....reload instead of rebuild.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Sure is!
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Who were the Terps missing yesterday besides Colson and Hartshorn? I was impressed with the rest of the team's tenacity, and with the freshmen. I am assuming Grace Griffin's run on defense was an experiment only for this set of games/scrimmages.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:58 am Who were the Terps missing yesterday besides Colson and Hartshorn? I was impressed with the rest of the team's tenacity, and with the freshmen. I am assuming Grace Griffin's run on defense was an experiment only for this set of games/scrimmages.
Here’s the 2020 roster. I didn’t go through it but figured it would come in handy if you want to compare.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”