Looking forward to 2020

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Looking forward to 2020

Post by wlaxnut »

Last season there was a noticeable increase in coverage on the internet and TV. Places like BTN and WatchESPN streamed more games. The camerawork and other aspects of coverage showed degrees of improvement. I think every tweet, every letter to the teams, broadcast crews, networks, etc. pointing out flaws in coverage were/are valuable. It demonstrates that people care about the sport and the quality of the coverage. There were a couple of times in the off season where the Notre Dame wlax twitter account showed some hilights from the past season. A couple of tweets in response criticized the quality of the video, to which coach Halfpenny herself "liked" in acknowledgement. I have to think that will provoke change for the better, not only for the Irish, but for the rest of D1--certainly for teams in higher profile/quality conferences like the ACC and Big 10.

As far as the teams, I am looking forward to seeing what Michigan looks like after their breakout year. Coach Nielsen is undoubtedly recruiting hard working, hard-nosed players such as herself, but she'll need some very talented scorers too if they want to seriously challenge Maryland in the conference. Last year before the game in Maryland, coach said her team wasn't afraid. They sure played afraid however, losing 14-3. Maybe this year they will be more prepared mentally to go at the Terps with controlled reckless abandon. The Wolverines, and anyone else for that matter, won't beat Maryland by being in awe and playing timid. Northwestern demonstrated how to beat Maryland last year, as did BC the year before.

Also looking forward to seeing how Notre Dame does. They have some very good talent and more coming in this coming year. They showed last year they aren't afraid to go toe-to-toe with the best in the ACC. They could be right there at the end with BC most assuredly dropping down a level with the departure of the big three.

Penn State and Princeton are two other teams I'll be interested to follow--and of course, the beloved BC Eagles and coach Acacia. And who knows what other teams might make some noise next year. Always exciting to see that happen.

And speaking for the rest of us who aren't Terp fans--ANYONE but Maryland to win the national title--PLEASE!
Last edited by wlaxnut on Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maryland75

Re: Looking forward to 2020

Post by Maryland75 »

There is a good reason why Maryland is a perennial contender and winner in Women’s college lacrosse. Year in and year out they get some of the best players , have the best coaches and have a program second to none. I do see other programs catching up such as Boston College, Syracuse, Florida and UNC and Northerstern have already gotten there. No one however should fault MD for the teams they produce, they are a joy to watch.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Maryland75 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:07 am There is a good reason why Maryland is a perennial contender and winner in Women’s college lacrosse. Year in and year out they get some of the best players , have the best coaches and have a program second to none. I do see other programs catching up such as Boston College, Syracuse, Florida and UNC and Northerstern have already gotten there. No one however should fault MD for the teams they produce, they are a joy to watch.
Who is faulting Maryland for the teams they produce? There is no doubt that Maryland is an excellent program. Superior coaching and recruiting make them The Elite program in NCAA division one women’s lacrosse. However, one likes variety if one is not a Maryland fan. I feel the same way about the New England Patriots in the NFL. I get tired of seeing the Patriots there year after year after year. I want a little variety. My post does nothing to disparage Maryland.

I don't agree with you on Florida. They have reached the NCAA quarterfinals five times and the semifinals once back in 2012. They have never been a serious threat for the national title.

Northwestern used to be there, but since their last national title in 2012 (which is the last time they made an appearance in the final game), they have not seriously threatened Maryland or UNC.

Nor do I agree with you on BC and Syracuse. Though they are catching up, neither of these programs has won a national title, though they have been to the big game numerous times. It remains to be seen whether they will ever win the final game. Time will tell...
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Here’s a hot take - there’s more D1 spots available than there are legit D1 caliber players and coaches. The meteoric rise of the # of D1 women’s teams has greatly diluted the talent pool of both players and coaches thus causing a great separation between the “haves” and the “have nots”.

I’ll compare it to college football and 4 & 5 star recruits, there are only so many that exist. In women’s lacrosse, Maryland, UNC, and to a lesser extent NW, Syracuse, BC get those players throughout their roster...so they have legit 20+ players on their rosters that are 4/5 star talent.

That leaves 2 and 3 star type players to fill out the majority of the 100 other college team rosters rosters. Those rosters will have a few 4 star type players, and they will be stars in their conferences, but aren’t surrounded by enough talent to break into the top 5, top 10, top 20, and so on.

I believe great coaching can turn the 2 and 3 star players into terrific role players and help a team overachieve, but there just isn’t enough top coaching talent out there yet.

I too get exhausted watching Maryland dominate every year, just like the Patriots, Alabama/Clemson, etc. but do appreciate the fact that they have the probably the best coaching, best facilities/support and certainly most talented roster top to bottom.

This probably should have been posted in the “parity” thread, but too late now!
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

I’m not of the opinion that winning a championship is the only criteria for being a top rated team. NW and Syracuse have proven just how good they are despite not having won championship since 2012 or not winning one at all. So much depends on circumstances such as injuries. Just because Maryland and UNC have won recent championships doesn’t mean they are the only elite teams. I wouldn’t call JMU more elite then Syracuse, NW, BC or even Fla. because they have a recent championship. I do get fans of the game wanting new champions other then Md every year but as a Md grad I love their ability to constantly reload while replacing star players every year.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I think most reasonable people would look at it that way too, M75.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

8meterPA wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:23 am Here’s a hot take - there’s more D1 spots available than there are legit D1 caliber players and coaches. The meteoric rise of the # of D1 women’s teams has greatly diluted the talent pool of both players and coaches thus causing a great separation between the “haves” and the “have nots”.

I’ll compare it to college football and 4 & 5 star recruits, there are only so many that exist. In women’s lacrosse, Maryland, UNC, and to a lesser extent NW, Syracuse, BC get those players throughout their roster...so they have legit 20+ players on their rosters that are 4/5 star talent.

That leaves 2 and 3 star type players to fill out the majority of the 100 other college team rosters rosters. Those rosters will have a few 4 star type players, and they will be stars in their conferences, but aren’t surrounded by enough talent to break into the top 5, top 10, top 20, and so on.

I believe great coaching can turn the 2 and 3 star players into terrific role players and help a team overachieve, but there just isn’t enough top coaching talent out there yet.

I too get exhausted watching Maryland dominate every year, just like the Patriots, Alabama/Clemson, etc. but do appreciate the fact that they have the probably the best coaching, best facilities/support and certainly most talented roster top to bottom.

This probably should have been posted in the “parity” thread, but too late now!
I agree--women's lacrosse is exploding in popularity all across the country. A good friend of mine had her daughter catch the lacrosse bug in her sophomore year in high school. She dropped competitive dance like a sack of potatoes after a decade of being heavily involved. All her friends and teammates weren't enough to deter her from her newly found desire to play lacrosse. Two years later she was offered a scholarship to a division 3 school for her lacrosse interest.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Anyone else looking forward to 2020? Are there any players you are interested to see? Any teams you'll be watching apart from your favorite? Any new recruits you're excited to see play on a new team?
DMac

Post by DMac »

I would attribute part of the reason for the dance girl's switch to lacrosse to the rules changes and the way you play today's game. Not too many years back it just was not an attractive game unless you like a stop and go game which also includes a game of keep away. The rules changes will attract a whole lot more girls to the game, IMO. I'd like to know how many girls have been attracted to the game in the last five years, or so, because of those changes.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:42 pm I would attribute part of the reason for the dance girl's switch to lacrosse to the rules changes and the way you play today's game. Not too many years back it just was not an attractive game unless you like a stop and go game which also includes a game of keep away. The rules changes will attract a whole lot more girls to the game, IMO. I'd like to know how many girls have been attracted to the game in the last five years, or so, because of those changes.
Yep--that's a great point DMac. The rule changes have definitely made lacrosse more attractive to new players, and certainly more watchable for us viewers.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Maryland75 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:39 am I’m not of the opinion that winning a championship is the only criteria for being a top rated team. NW and Syracuse have proven just how good they are despite not having won championship since 2012 or not winning one at all. So much depends on circumstances such as injuries. Just because Maryland and UNC have won recent championships doesn’t mean they are the only elite teams. I wouldn’t call JMU more elite then Syracuse, NW, BC or even Fla. because they have a recent championship. I do get fans of the game wanting new champions other then Md every year but as a Md grad I love their ability to constantly reload while replacing star players every year.
Just to clarify--there are a lot of top rated lacrosse programs out there. I imagine any young woman would be jumping for joy who finds out she'll be playing lacrosse at Syracuse, Michigan, Loyola, Duke, Florida, High Point, JMU, Colorado and many others. My original point is that I want to see more teams other than Maryland--the Elite of the elite--win the national championship. Until a school wins it all at least twice, they cannot be considered in the conversation with Maryland and UNC these days. Maybe they've done it in the past--but I don't include Penn State or NU or Princeton or Virginia in the same conversation with UMD and UNC, even though the aforementioned programs have won multiple national titles in years gone by. Just one opinion from one member of the lacrosse community. Opinion--not fact.
ILLaxParent

Post by ILLaxParent »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:11 pm
Maryland75 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:39 am I’m not of the opinion that winning a championship is the only criteria for being a top rated team. NW and Syracuse have proven just how good they are despite not having won championship since 2012 or not winning one at all. So much depends on circumstances such as injuries. Just because Maryland and UNC have won recent championships doesn’t mean they are the only elite teams. I wouldn’t call JMU more elite then Syracuse, NW, BC or even Fla. because they have a recent championship. I do get fans of the game wanting new champions other then Md every year but as a Md grad I love their ability to constantly reload while replacing star players every year.
Just to clarify--there are a lot of top rated lacrosse programs out there. I imagine any young woman would be jumping for joy who finds out she'll be playing lacrosse at Syracuse, Michigan, Loyola, Duke, Florida, High Point, JMU, Colorado and many others. My original point is that I want to see more teams other than Maryland--the Elite of the elite--win the national championship. Until a school wins it all at least twice, they cannot be considered in the conversation with Maryland and UNC these days. Maybe they've done it in the past--but I don't include Penn State or NU or Princeton or Virginia in the same conversation with UMD and UNC, even though the aforementioned programs have won multiple national titles in years gone by. Just one opinion from one member of the lacrosse community. Opinion--not fact.
FWIW, I believe that KAH has been a real victim of her success in developing coaches and then having those coaches set up shop in areas that she might or would have recruited from without her proteges. NU has no "home base" of talent like MD/UNC/SB and KAH has had to continually find the top talent from lesser known areas of the country/continent to stay competitive (examples: Lasota, Scane). If you take the top players from USC/Colorado/etc. and add them to NU, that is a pretty powerful team.

MD (to their credit) does not have the same scope of competition and has the MD hotbed which they can typically choose the top players as locked-in recruits. IMHO, if and until that changes, either through more local competition for top players and/or greater density of talent in not-beds, MD will continue to dominate. My guess is that without some KAH-like recruiting and playing innovations, the status quo will be in place for at least a generation.

My .02.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Just a short post to push the other thread down a slot and hopefully keep it there. I really, really am looking forward to 2020!
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

8meterPA wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:24 pm Just a short post to push the other thread down a slot and hopefully keep it there. I really, really am looking forward to 2020!
Me too! Which player(s)/team(s) do you follow/root for? How do you watch the games?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:14 am Also looking forward to seeing how Notre Dame does. They have some very good talent and more coming in this coming year.
“Kasey Choma and Madison Ahern were named the top two incoming freshmen by (the) Inside Lacrosse Women” outfit. This gives names to the “good talent coming.” I’d love to see the Irish shake things up in the ACC next year.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Here’s the whole article on the top incoming first year players.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/amp/2019 ... ssion=true
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Fall ball is fun to watch your kid and her teammates finally playing after waiting since May! Always good to see how freshmen look. Hopefully coaches actually play all of them. Also I like to see how returning players look after summer off. I'm always hoping to see that it looks like they trained off season. Like to see if coaches are trying new plays. And finally checking out any new goalies and of course how the competition looks.😉Can't wait!
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Maryland recruiting class:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... sses/55354

It may just be that really good players just want to play for CNR.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

These great players want to play for CNR and also have the opportunity to win a Championship. I also think there is a strong desire to represent their home state for the Maryland athletes.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Only 4 months away now! I’ve been watching some replays over the last few weeks. Penn St at Johns Hopkins, BC vs UNC semifinal on championship weekend. This is a great sport. Nothing like it on the athletic horizon. Not even close.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”