Ivy League issue?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Ivy League issue?

Post by Dr. Tact »

Anyone hear a rumor of an exodus of players at a certain Ivy league school? If so PM me and we will compare rumors.....
4girls

Re: Ivy League issue?

Post by 4girls »

Just wondering if you could shed some more light on this publicly?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

4girls wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:42 am Just wondering if you could shed some more light on this publicly?
Not until I hear a confirmation from someone else. I was throwing it out to the forum to see if anyone else heard anything. I PM'd you.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I heard seniors and Yale. New team rules, didn't like 'em so... they skiddadled.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:28 am I heard seniors and Yale. New team rules, didn't like 'em so... they skiddadled.
Bingo...that is what I heard as well....Wonder what the issue in the rules was....
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I don't know but... Isn't this kind of stuff pretty common? Coach or players say, No drinking during the season, and players fight the power and then quit.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Not a big deal, happens every year at most schools. Kids who haven’t played much in their careers are being told in the fall that they won’t get much playing time this year either. Kids have locked up their jobs and want to have fun their last year at school rather than putting in practice time and still never seeing the field.

Ivy’s don’t have athletic scholarships so financially kids don’t leave anything on the table by leaving the team.

Yeah I know you’ll point out examples where no senior left a team, but for teams outside of top 15 or so that will never make it to conference or national tournament it’s quite common.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:33 pm Not a big deal, happens every year at most schools. Kids who haven’t played much in their careers are being told in the fall that they won’t get much playing time this year either. Kids have locked up their jobs and want to have fun their last year at school rather than putting in practice time and still never seeing the field.

Ivy’s don’t have athletic scholarships so financially kids don’t leave anything on the table by leaving the team.

Yeah I know you’ll point out examples where no senior left a team, but for teams outside of top 15 or so that will never make it to conference or national tournament it’s quite common.
Good points 8M! Seems odd that they just did it all on one day, but makes sense.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

I think it also happened to the senior class the year before, looks like it went from 8 down to 3...unless I’m looking at the roster wrong.
Laxmom99

Post by Laxmom99 »

6 ivy seniors who held the highest D1 GPA in the nation walking off in solidarity is definitely not normal...and these weren’t all girls who didn’t get playing time..a couple of them are starters. Seems there is much more to the story...definitely concerning.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Xlax

Post by Xlax »

Yale Wlax has not been competitive for a long time. New coach brought in a few years ago to win games. Culture needed changing. New coach brings in some stud recruits and starts some rigorous training/practice routines. (Pretty much inline with all other competitive D1 programs) Appears seniors liked partying and losing more than working hard and winning. (Although it does not appear as though they gave the latter much of a try) Not one impact player in this departing group. Team is better off.
Last edited by Xlax on Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Xlax wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:34 pm Yale Wlax has not been competitive for a long time. New coach brought in a few years ago to win games. Culture needed changing. New coach brings in some stud recruits and starts some rigorous training/practice routines. (Pretty much inline with all other competitive D1 programs) Appears seniors liked partying and losing more than working hard and winning. (Although it does not appear as though they gave the latter much of a try) Not one impact player in this class. Team is better off.
Hmmm, more thickening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv5pSqS98iU
Edit #1, Addition #1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hb66FH9AzI
Edit #2, Addition #2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwLUGajxt-4
Last edited by DMac on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
crusader

Post by crusader »

Lets not assume to know anything . There are a ton of programs with issues in Coaching not just players partying. I am sure it will all come out.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Xlax wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:34 pm Yale Wlax has not been competitive for a long time. New coach brought in a few years ago to win games. Culture needed changing. New coach brings in some stud recruits and starts some rigorous training/practice routines. (Pretty much inline with all other competitive D1 programs) Appears seniors liked partying and losing more than working hard and winning. (Although it does not appear as though they gave the latter much of a try) Not one impact player in this departing group. Team is better off.
Do Ivies still have a rule that Fall practices (up to a date) are "voluntary" Captain/Senior led?
Laxmom99

Post by Laxmom99 »

First of all, this coach has been there for 5 years, she’s not new. These girls are all seniors..all of the sudden they can’t handle the rules?? Hmmm🤔 Again, for the past 2 years these girls have held the highest GPA in the country while playing a D1 sport..at YALE... Pretty sure you cant really pull that off if all you want to do is party. It’s not about if these girls are impact players or starters, which some are, it’s about the reason they are all choosing to leave their lax team senior year...together. I agree, let’s see how this plays out before jumping to conclusions.
Xlax

Post by Xlax »

5 years means she has only recently been coaching a majority of her own recruits. The training/practice intensity is increasing. This team won ONE ivy game last year season so I would argue that is appropriate and overdue. Players that dont want to put that kind of effort forward should hit the road. Solid source says early AM team training new this year conflicts with some late evening partying for many of those departing. Stand by earlier assessment that this team will be better off. Shocker (not really) that some parents want to make this about the coach. Hard to look your own kid.
DMac

Post by DMac »

For anything other than a strong and legit reason, these girls will regret this decision later in life.
Oldest one wanted to quit football his Sr year of HS for all kinds of BS reasons. Didn't make him play but let him know he was letting his coaches and teammates down (he was a starter as a Soph) as well as himself. He ended up playing, voted Captain of the team, had a pretty good year, and later thanked me for having that little chat with him. I had a pretty good idea it was really about those double practices the last couple of weeks of summer which very much interferes with girl friends and partying. I hope these Yale wlaxers have given this some serious thought and are being honest with themselves, seems like a lot to give up to me (to say nothing of letting your teammates down).
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

xlax, agree with your analysis. Dmac, i believe you are correct as well....life lessons are sometimes tough but those who learn to deal with adversity correctly will be those who succeed. Those who blame others and quit, well they will be working for the former group.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”