Recruiting--Thoughts, Impressions, Questions and Answers

D1 Womens Lacrosse
8meterPA

Re: Recruiting--Thoughts, Impressions, Questions and Answers

Post by 8meterPA »

laxfan22 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:57 pm lol, i really did not mean that those programs are not top tier. Loyola and Navy are obviously playing at a higher level, Richmond is tremendous. I was using that more as a short hand, no disrespect intended AT ALL.
I knew that, just teasing a bit!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I'm gathering there are multiple National Signing Days. As often as each individual program chooses to earmark a day for signing recruits, that day becomes National Signing Day. That's my guess anyway.

But my oh my don't the signings roll in! Following a number of teams on social media has resulted in the phone blowing up over the past few days with a flurry of signing announcements at Penn State, Arizona State, Ohio State, High Point and many others. Seems the rough average is 7 to 9 players signing per team which is a staggering number of young women playing this game in high school and clubs across North America. The sport is exploding; fastest growing sport in America is a phrase we hear often. Heady days for women's lacrosse in the lower 48. Great to see and great to be around during this current Golden Age.

Pictured Franny O'Brien who recently signed with the Fighting Irish.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:00 am I'm gathering there are multiple National Signing Days. As often as each individual program chooses to earmark a day for signing recruits, that day becomes National Signing Day. That's my guess anyway.

But my oh my don't the signings roll in! Following a number of teams on social media has resulted in the phone blowing up over the past few days with a flurry of signing announcements at Penn State, Arizona State, Ohio State, High Point and many others. Seems the rough average is 7 to 9 players signing per team which is a staggering number of young women playing this game in high school and clubs across North America. The sport is exploding; fastest growing sport in America is a phrase we hear often. Heady days for women's lacrosse in the lower 48. Great to see and great to be around during this current Golden Age.

Pictured Franny O'Brien who recently signed with the Fighting Irish.
NSD for lacrosse and other non-rev sports was 11/10. Some schools just chose not to post the signings that day and did so yesterday. All those girls signed on 11/10 though.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:13 am NSD for lacrosse and other non-rev sports was 11/10. Some schools just chose not to post the signings that day and did so yesterday. All those girls signed on 11/10 though.
AH! Thanks for the clarification.
OuttaNowhereWregget

That there is a great photograph!

OuttaNowhereWregget

Attack of the 50 Foot...Midfielder?

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:37 am
hmmm wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:13 am NSD for lacrosse and other non-rev sports was 11/10. Some schools just chose not to post the signings that day and did so yesterday. All those girls signed on 11/10 though.
Athletes can sign their National Letter of Intent anytime before their sport's National Signing Day. Once signed, an athlete cannot switch schools without quite a process, including typically sitting out a year. But not all athletes wait until NSD to actually sign, though it's become a bit of show for many kids to do so.

NLI's can be signed after NSD, however this is rare as roster spots are typically already filled.

Commitments, both directions, eg scholarship $, are not final and certain until signing by both parties. Which is why there is some incentive to sign earlier in order to lock up those commitments, both ways.

Some schools do not participate, eg Ivies.

https://www.ncsasports.org/recruiting/m ... igning-day
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:05 am
Once signed, an athlete cannot switch schools without quite a process, including typically sitting out a year.
Probably a stupid question- but does sitting out because of transfering also happen at the D2 and D3 level? I’ve only ever heard of it happen at the D1 level, but then again D1 transfers are much more publicized
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

I am getting old, it if my memory serves me correctly, my children had strict instructions not to sign their NLI’s until the specific date that was scheduled by the NCAA or the date that was on the paperwork they received from their schools. But I might be wrong here.

As far as getting out of an NLI, perspective is everything. The school can easily release someone from the commitment if the student athlete wants out. No coach wants a student athlete who doesn’t want to be there. Plus it is just that, a National Letter of Intent, not a guarantee of anything. The student still has to apply to the college and get accepted. If you sign an NLI to a school and never apply to attend that school, the NLI is worthless.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

TNLAX wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:18 am I am getting old, it if my memory serves me correctly, my children had strict instructions not to sign their NLI’s until the specific date that was scheduled by the NCAA or the date that was on the paperwork they received from their schools. But I might be wrong here.
I remember that as well.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Athletes can sign their National Letter of Intent anytime before their sport's National Signing Day. Once signed, an athlete cannot switch schools without quite a process, including typically sitting out a year. But not all athletes wait until NSD to actually sign, though it's become a bit of show for many kids to do so.

NLI's can be signed after NSD, however this is rare as roster spots are typically already filled.

Commitments, both directions, eg scholarship $, are not final and certain until signing by both parties. Which is why there is some incentive to sign earlier in order to lock up those commitments, both ways.

An athlete can NOT sign their NLI before the signing day. They can’t sign until 7am of the official signing day. They can sign AFTER that date as long as it’s before the signing deadline.

Ivy’s don’t participate mainly because they don’t offer athletic scholarships.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Signs of life from Furman, though still no head coach.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Justalaxdad wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:34 pm

An athlete can NOT sign their NLI before the signing day. They can’t sign until 7am of the official signing day. They can sign AFTER that date as long as it’s before the signing deadline.

With due respect, I believe you're simply wrong:

http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/index.html

And you can attend another college, but you cannot compete.\
https://usatodayhss.com/2019/nli-signin ... ut-the-nli
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:25 pm

MDlaxfan - No worries, it’s all good. Unless I read your post wrong, you said athletes can sign their NLI before the signing day. That is not true - here is a paragraph from the original link you posted:

When your student-athlete receives their NLI document, the appropriate Signing Period should be checked. If the Signing Period has begun for their sport, they must sign within seven days of the issue date (noted on the document). If they receive the NLI document before the Signing Period window opens, they must wait until 7 a.m. of the first date of the period. The student-athlete’s parent or legal guardian must also sign the document; college coaches cannot be present during the signing.

I just went through this on the 10th with my ‘22 who signed her NLI. When she received her NLI from her Coach on Nov.9th, she (the coach) specifically told her not to sign it until 7am Nov.10th at the earliest. Your link backs this up.

If we’re talking about something different, my apologies.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Justalaxdad wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:28 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:25 pm

MDlaxfan - No worries, it’s all good. Unless I read your post wrong, you said athletes can sign their NLI before the signing day. That is not true - here is a paragraph from the original link you posted:

When your student-athlete receives their NLI document, the appropriate Signing Period should be checked. If the Signing Period has begun for their sport, they must sign within seven days of the issue date (noted on the document). If they receive the NLI document before the Signing Period window opens, they must wait until 7 a.m. of the first date of the period. The student-athlete’s parent or legal guardian must also sign the document; college coaches cannot be present during the signing.

I just went through this on the 10th with my ‘22 who signed her NLI. When she received her NLI from her Coach on Nov.9th, she (the coach) specifically told her not to sign it until 7am Nov.10th at the earliest. Your link backs this up.

If we’re talking about something different, my apologies.
Ahhh, I simply misunderstood you, having been unclear, and upon re-reading, actually had misstated my meaning. Thanks for correcting.

There's a window for signing, which is long for lacrosse players, and you can sign beyond that window, though that's rare.

Most do sign as soon as they can, first available day, because it ends the recruiting process as of that signing, commitments made both directions. But not all do, as some juggling can still continue from there. But once signed, you're locked in, both directions. (Though it's not an admissions acceptance, nor guarantee of being on the team...it's just the athletic scholarship). Not that you can't go another school, but you can't play that sport there.

Anyone know if you can play a different sport, with a switch?

Eg you signed an NLI to play lax, but then a football or basketball offer came in? Or simply decided to walk-on at another school?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”