Way Early 2020 Rankings - US Lacrosse Magazine

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Badlands

Re: Way Early 2020 Rankings - US Lacrosse Magazine

Post by Badlands »

Who knows? One of them could start all season, they could each play a half of most games, or the starter could be a game-time decision based on who’s looked better in practice.

Of course, plenty of wlax players will tell you that who’s playing better doesn’t matter and much of the time the decision on who plays seems totally arbitrary to most of the players.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:27 pm
seacoaster wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:18 pm “I doubt this young woman would go into the portal without some guarantee that she would start.”

No way. Absolutely not. If W-W did this, she’d be toast.
You know better than me. And I’m not being facetious in saying that.

You’ve watched a few BC games, if you had to guess, who do you think will end up being the starting goaltender? Regardless of any promises made or not made.
I doubt I really know better than you. But I think a coach risks a lot in the way of her personal credibility and integrity when says "transfer to my program and you'll play every game." And W-W is part of the Timchal, KAH Family Tree of coaching; I just don't see her telling any kid that they're in the lineup. College lacrosse and college sports at this level is a fairly brutal meritocracy, as far as I can tell, and to play I think you have to stop shots, organize the defense, clear well, and do the intangibles that translate into becoming one of 12 starters.

I think Ngai is a very able goalkeeper, and think, as someone said earlier, that she had a really good sophomore year against the A-Plus competition in the game. I am certain she will get every opportunity to win the starting job. The former Oregon kid must be pretty good, but she didn't play one or two or three games against Jamie Ortega, or Andie Aldave, or Caroline Steele, and all of their friends. Ngai is a proven keeper, whatever anyone thinks or says (and I am not her dad!). The former Oregon kid will need to stop some shots.
Nereo12

Post by Nereo12 »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:24 pm 1 - UNC
2 - Syracuse
3 - Maryland
4 - Northwestern
5 - Princeton
6 - BC
7 - Virginia
8 - Michigan
9 - Notre Dame
10 - Penn
11 - USC
12 - Denver
13 - Stony Brook
14 - Loyola
15 - JMU
16 - Navy
17 - Florida
18 - Colorado
19 - Duke
20 - Georgetown
21 - High Point
22 - Johns Hopkins
23 - Dartmouth
24 - Virginia Tech
25 - UMass

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... on-i-women
If BC is Boston College it s rare to be #6 when I think it must be #2 because they are the last 3 years finalist
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

2 - Syracuse
3 - Maryland
4 - Northwestern
5 - Princeton
6 - BC
7 - Virginia
8 - Michigan
9 - Notre Dame
10 - Penn
11 - USC
12 - Denver
13 - Stony Brook
14 - Loyola
15 - JMU
16 - Navy
17 - Florida
18 - Colorado
19 - Duke
20 - Georgetown
21 - High Point
22 - Johns Hopkins
23 - Dartmouth
24 - Virginia Tech
25 - UMass

I think the top four are the top four. Of that group, Maryland plainly lost the most in the way of important players: Steele, Giles, Evans, and Braig alone constitute pretty enormous losses to graduation. I think we are all assuming that someone will step into each of those roles, but the two, two-way midfielders -- a lefty and a righty to boot -- alone are a tough thing to replace. I'd have that group UNC, NU, Syracuse and Maryland for now (even though Syracuse seems to have a consistent trouble with the Terps).

The next 6 making up this proposed top ten:

5 - Princeton
6 - BC
7 - Virginia
8 - Michigan
9 - Notre Dame
10 - Penn

I think Notre Dame may be the best of this bunch (is that TL chortling???). UND returns most of its important contributors, although the Keeper graduated, right?

Princeton lost a ton to graduation, including in particular the driving force of its lineup, Elizabeth George. I think Princeton will be a work in progress for most of the season.

BC is an unknown to me. In addition to the trio, they lost Troy, Miller and Hyatt, and graduated a very capable goalkeeper. That's a lot of question marks and spots to fill. But I don't know who is better than BC either.

UVA lost Jackson and Shoemaker, a do it all middie and a lefty scorer, and I didn't see a lot of replacements. I assume the Jersey kid, No. 20, will move into Shoemaker's sport, and that the team will demand even more from Mueller. They lost at least three everyday starting defenders as well to graduation. I'm not sure they will be a top ten team come May.

I'd put the top ten now as follows:

UNC
Northwestern
Syracuse
Maryland
Notre Dame
Penn
BC
Michigan
Princeton
Virginia Tech
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:55 am
I think the top four are the top four. Of that group, Maryland plainly lost the most in the way of important players: Steele, Giles, Evans, and Braig alone constitute pretty enormous losses to graduation.

Don’t forget the goalie 😉

I'd have that group UNC, NU, Syracuse and Maryland for now (even though Syracuse seems to have a consistent trouble with the Terps).

(Or the refs, if one considers last years game 😉

5 - Princeton
6 - BC
7 - Virginia
8 - Michigan
9 - Notre Dame
10 - Penn

I think Notre Dame may be the best of this bunch (is that TL chortling???). UND returns most of its important contributors, although the Keeper graduated, right?

Affirmative. Giacolone is gone.

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

2 - Syracuse
3 - Maryland
4 - Northwestern
5 - Princeton
6 - BC
7 - Virginia
8 - Michigan
9 - Notre Dame
10 - Penn
11 - USC
12 - Denver
13 - Stony Brook
14 - Loyola
15 - JMU
16 - Navy
17 - Florida
18 - Colorado
19 - Duke
20 - Georgetown
21 - High Point
22 - Johns Hopkins
23 - Dartmouth
24 - Virginia Tech
25 - UMass

I think the top four are the top four. Of that group, Maryland plainly lost the most in the way of important players: Steele, Giles, Evans, and Braig alone constitute pretty enormous losses to graduation. I think we are all assuming that someone will step into each of those roles, but the two, two-way midfielders -- a lefty and a righty to boot -- alone are a tough thing to replace. I'd have that group UNC, NU, Syracuse and Maryland for now (even though Syracuse seems to have a consistent trouble with the Terps).

5 - Princeton
6 - BC
7 - Virginia
8 - Michigan
9 - Notre Dame
10 - Penn

Princeton lost a ton to graduation, including in particular the driving force of its lineup, Elizabeth George. I think Princeton will be a work in progress for most of the season.

BC is an unknown to me. In addition to the trio, they lost Troy, Miller and Hyatt, and graduated a very capable goalkeeper. That's a lot of question marks and spots to fill. But I don't know who is better than BC either.

UVA lost Jackson and Shoemaker, a do it all middie and a lefty scorer, and I didn't see a lot of replacements. I assume the Jersey kid, No. 20, will move into Shoemaker's sport, and that the team will demand even more from Mueller. They lost at least three everyday starting defenders as well to graduation. I'm not sure they will be a top ten team come May.

UNC
Northwestern
Syracuse
Maryland
Notre Dame
Penn
BC
Michigan
Princeton
Virginia Tech
As a hokie, are you sure about this? VT @10?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:51 pm
2 - Syracuse
3 - Maryland
4 - Northwestern
5 - Princeton
6 - BC
7 - Virginia
8 - Michigan
9 - Notre Dame
10 - Penn
11 - USC
12 - Denver
13 - Stony Brook
14 - Loyola
15 - JMU
16 - Navy
17 - Florida
18 - Colorado
19 - Duke
20 - Georgetown
21 - High Point
22 - Johns Hopkins
23 - Dartmouth
24 - Virginia Tech
25 - UMass

5 - Princeton
6 - BC
7 - Virginia
8 - Michigan
9 - Notre Dame
10 - Penn

UNC
Northwestern
Syracuse
Maryland
Notre Dame
Penn
BC
Michigan
Princeton
Virginia Tech
Doc, not sure at all. I wondered if anyone would even notice. But VT was really young this year, I think, and graduated only a few important pieces. So I threw them in there on a bit of a lark. I think Sung -- whose coaching style I really dislike -- does get a lot out of the kids and keeps them in games.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:58 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:51 pm

UNC
Northwestern
Syracuse
Maryland
Notre Dame
Penn
BC
Michigan
Princeton
Virginia Tech
Doc, not sure at all. I wondered if anyone would even notice.
I noticed--but I figured you meant Virginia, having written about them and not Tech.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:58 pm

Doc, not sure at all. I wondered if anyone would even notice. But VT was really young this year, I think, and graduated only a few important pieces. So I threw them in there on a bit of a lark. I think Sung -- whose coaching style I really dislike -- does get a lot out of the kids and keeps them in games.
Again, as a VT guy, I am not a fan of Coach Sung. I will give him credit for his marketing, but not much more...hate that reverse backer (chaser) defense he teaches...i think he may have seen his best year in 2018 and I hate to say it, but the hokies will be competing with louisville for the bottom of the acc...until Pitt comes in. :oops:
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:39 pm Again, as a VT guy, I am not a fan of Coach Sung. I will give him credit for his marketing, but not much more...hate that reverse backer (chaser) defense he teaches...i think he may have seen his best year in 2018 and I hate to say it, but the hokies will be competing with louisville for the bottom of the acc...until Pitt comes in. :oops:
They seemed to take a step back last year. I know they graduated 6' 1" Tristan McGinley in 2018 and she was greatly missed last year. However I still thought they would at least maintain a degree of what they had established. 2020 will be a good barometer as to how the team is buying in to coach Sung's philosophy. (I wonder what it's like to recruit for VT?)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”