WPLL Season 2 underway

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

WPLL Season 2 underway

Post by wlaxnut »

The WPLL is definitely a good quality of lacrosse. They have a great game with many good broadcast production plusses going for the league in the early stages of the 2nd season. Overall, just a few tweaks needed.

The game itself moves right along as there is a continuous running clock, 60 second shot clock, all free position shots from the center top hash which is cool. They have a good beginning. I hope the league gets established and secured. It seems a shame that great players play 4 years in college and that’s it. With the WPLL, many have the opportunity to continue playing.

Camerawork for game action is very good, with good close-ups of the players between goals, and replays. They need a shot clock and player advantage clock on the screen but I have to think that will follow eventually. Field mics could be louder.

It’s great seeing familiar faces out on the field playing again--Shannon Fitzgerald, Kayla Treanor, Halle Majorana and others. My favorite players are still my favorite players—regardless of which league they play in, or what uniform they wear.
shenandoahslammer

Re: WPLL Season 2 underway

Post by shenandoahslammer »

Just watched both games. I don't think it is the advertisement for the Brine heads that Brine might be wanting. If the pro's can't keep the ball in their sticks, how do you think little Suzy is going to do. Seemed like the handicap of bad ball handling took some of the shine off of what the best players in the world are capable of delivering. FWIW, I heard from a player on the men's side that he had to adjust and get used to what they were given as well. He said he couldn't keep the ball in his stick all training camp. Maybe the lesson is you can't sell sponsorships for everything. Other than that, I liked how they let the the defense play - the physical D and crappy sticks certainly helped take away the advantage the offense always has.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

shenandoahslammer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:39 am Just watched both games. I don't think it is the advertisement for the Brine heads that Brine might be wanting. If the pro's can't keep the ball in their sticks, how do you think little Suzy is going to do. Seemed like the handicap of bad ball handling took some of the shine off of what the best players in the world are capable of delivering. FWIW, I heard from a player on the men's side that he had to adjust and get used to what they were given as well. He said he couldn't keep the ball in his stick all training camp. Maybe the lesson is you can't sell sponsorships for everything. Other than that, I liked how they let the the defense play - the physical D and crappy sticks certainly helped take away the advantage the offense always has.
I agree on the sticks. It was obvious some of the players were having problems. These ladies are consummate professionals--they should have the freedom to choose and customize their own sticks, regardless of brand, just like professional hockey and baseball players.
hsllax

Post by hsllax »

The sticks look atrocious. You can see the ball rattling around on the craddle. I wonder if it's something that players will get used to or a fundamental flaw on a stick designed to have no opportunity for personal modification.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

hsllax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:43 pm The sticks look atrocious. You can see the ball rattling around on the craddle. I wonder if it's something that players will get used to or a fundamental flaw on a stick designed to have no opportunity for personal modification.
I have to think the players are giving feedback to the reps and that changes will eventually be made.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:06 am
hsllax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:43 pm The sticks look atrocious. You can see the ball rattling around on the craddle. I wonder if it's something that players will get used to or a fundamental flaw on a stick designed to have no opportunity for personal modification.
I have to think the players are giving feedback to the reps and that changes will eventually be made.
I threw around with a Warp at my daughter's practice recently. It was awful - no hold, the ball rattled all around in the pocket. If I was one of the professionals that had to use that stick, I would get myself sponsored by STX or Under Armour ASAP. Even if they only paid me $1.

Seems like a fine idea for beginners, but I have to imagine the top players want the ability to adjust their pockets.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Good grief. Are all WPLL players required to play with a Warp?
Batman

Post by Batman »

Daughter is a beginner.(6 yrs old) Struggled scooping up the ball with the warp. Older daughter handed her the stringking. And she immediately scooped up the ball and played for over an hour in the backyard.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

WPLL this Friday, 7/12 at Loyola University’s Ridley Athletic Complex. Command v Brave kicks off at 5:00pm, while Fire v Pride starts at 7:00pm. I’ll probably pop in to see the quality of the broadcast (both games streaming online at ESPN3) and to catch a look at some of the players I used to enjoy watching during their collegiate careers. I love seeing Coach Hannah Nielsen play. She plays exactly the way she coaches her team to play. Interesting to see someone who’s usually on the sidelines out there on the field and looking very competitive and athletic.
DMac

Post by DMac »

wlaxnut wrote
WPLL this Friday, 7/12 at Loyola University’s Ridley Athletic Complex. Command v Brave kicks off at 5:00pm, while Fire v Pride starts at 7:00pm. I’ll probably pop in to see the quality of the broadcast (both games streaming online at ESPN3)
Thanks for posting, will definitely tune in.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Just saw this on Twitter:

“Due to the last minute nature of tonight’s make up games between @WPLLBrave/@WPLLCommand and @WPLLFire/@WPLLPride, neither game will be streamed. BUT the WPLL will be back in action next Saturday at Hofstra University, with two games that will be streamed on ESPN3!”

Oh well
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

SERIOUSLY!!!...Pro Women's Lacrosse showing that it's on the falling side of upright. Come on! This league has no legs, no clout and no market. Call it a day and see if you can get all three divisions in the same place for a grand College Championships weekend. Like the men do without you cow towing to them(remember a couple of years ago when you tried to play at Gillette Stadium before the guys' game?)
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Nereo12

Post by Nereo12 »

I hope WPLL can have more seasons
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Semifinals today on ESPN3 (and certainly rebroadcast later through the app): 4:30 and 8:00 pm.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thanks for keeping us posted on the time and place of these games.
Wish the camera was a little closer but it is what it is, I guess.
Apuzzo is incredible, I'd think it would be a good idea to take a few deep breaths when you see her coming, cuz she's just suffocating....very intense competitor.
Why is anything other than an over the shoulder straight forward shot in wlax a "trick shot"?
Can't just be a creative/innovative display of stick skills?

3 goal lead for the Fight at the half.
Gotta love that Dowd girl...got a really sweet stick, nice goal coming from behind with the clock running down.

G. Gait scored a goal from mid field? That's a new one on me.
Bet he's thinking of Paul's goal on the hidden ball trick...just sayin'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhXI421tz6A

Command takes command in the 3rd, go up one 9-8.
Fight gonna have to fight back if they're gonna win it.
So much talent on the field it's crazy.

Fight take command in the 4th, deliver too many blows for the Command to survive, win it 13-10. Treanor with a nice play/goal to give the Fight a two goal lead and a little breathing room with just a couple of minutes left, then that Dowd girl puts in one more.
Good game, sell out crowd...gotta love that.

Brave-Pride, colorful game. Love the unis, and skirts all the way around.
8-3 Brave at the half (don't like the team names in the WPLL). Super good lacrosse, these two teams look really good and smooth.
McCool, coolest name in all of sports, she's just cool and flat out good!
Still probably not cool to mention legs even though they're pros now, eh?

Yale's lookin' like the home of the Brave, Pink's completely dominating.
12-5, end of 3.

15-10, final. Fight-Brave final, Sunday.
McCool chills Pride's hope, POG, McNificent performance.

Was my first experience with the WPLL, I'd give it an A+.
Hoping to go to A++ after the championship game.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

It is cool to see former players out there. Some with the same moves, the same great moves they had when they were playing, some only just last year. And you can see how some of the older players, Hannah Nielsen is one that comes to mind, give you a bit of a glimpse of what they were like when they were still playing in college.

The camerawork was brutal yesterday during the first game. I couldn't watch it after a while. Way too far away--the wide angle view of the action on the field. What's worse is when the camera person tries to tighten the shot and then ends up moving the camera every time the ball is passed in the attacking zone. They really need experienced people on the cameras if they want to be taken seriously.
DMac

Post by DMac »

If you wlax guys aren't watching this, you're nuts. 5-4 Brave at the half, could easily be 10-10 but for brilliant play by the GKs. Donnelly (sp) stopping Treanor and Dowd from the door step mulitiple times....how many times you see that? The current Tewarraton winner like a closed door at the other end.
Didn't realize it's a shorter field with fewer players....whatever the distance and number of players, if collegiate wlax adopted it I'd like it (sorry, purists). Opens up the field and highlighs both the D and the O....the girls on the field today are just phenomenal in all phases. McCool once again McNificent at the draw...doesn't matter who comes out, the smart money goes on her.
Gotta go....an intense thirty minutes coming up.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tie games, minutes to go, Treanor-McCool at the draw.
TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES!!!
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brave win it 13-12, looked as if the Fight had things under control with a three goal lead but the Brave shut 'em down for the last nine minutes which is pretty much unbelievable.
Dowd, phenomenal..Treanor, phenomenal accompanied by a field full of incredible wlaxers.
Wanted to go to A++ for a rating of these players and this league but I'm gonna have to go to A+++.
Wlax has evolved into an incredibly gorgeous game and one that I would think a young athletic girl would be attracted to much more so than the game that was played as recently as ten years ago. From a person who couldn't take more than fifteen minutes of wlax in the days of yore, I love this game!!
aubartolomei

Post by aubartolomei »

I disagree with liking the shorter field (and by extension the 50 as the restraining line). I love a good ride in the college game and its basically nonexistent in the pro game.

I also would love to see the stick drop after goals in the pro game. I dont need a stick check necessarily, I just really love an emphatic stick drop cele after a big goal.

I watched, it was enjoyable. Really good lacrosse and the talent level is off the charts. But I also just couldnt really get that in to it from a rooting interest. I dont know why. Maybe because I had rooting interests from a personal level on both teams. I get why they did it, but I also wish they had regional names again. Even if they dont mean anything, I would default to cheering for a Baltimore team. I would buy a Baltimore team's apparel; I would never buy apparel from any of the current teams.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

The final was a very interesting game. Certainly worthwhile. Great to see some of the old players out there still doing well, still performing at the highest level.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”