NCAA Tournament

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxorangebookworm

Re: NCAA Div 1 National Championship Seedings & Sundries

Post by laxorangebookworm »

As with seacoaster, I didn't have any skin in the game, but having digested the information for a day or so, here's what I thought:

Maryland's overall D was very good. The slides caused BC problems all day. Taylor made some fantastic saves in goal. That was a big part of the reason for the Terrapins winning on Sunday.

I thought BC played pretty decent on defense, as with Daly, despite being under some pretty heavy pressure all day. Coach Walker-Weinstein definitely made the right call in starting Daly in goal. I'm not sure Ngai would have done as well.

However, I think BC's offense lost that game. Yes, Maryland did well on D and yes, Taylor was great in goal, but the Eagle offense made some really silly mistakes throughout the game and played uncharacteristically sloppy. Apuzzo has taken care of those clutch passes all year long but missed the one that mattered most at the end. Arsenault had that really bad drop as she was going downfield in the second half that Maryland recovered. How many times does she do something like that? Once in a blue moon?

Thirdly, I couldn't understand why BC players weren't trying to slip in from the edge between the defender and the goalie to get point blank shots. They've done that all year long and apart from the Arsenault goal that was the Eagles' seventh (I'm pretty sure it was this one as a great example of what they should have been doing all day long), nada. Kent had multiple chances coming in from the right side and kept swinging out and away from the goal instead of cutting in, where she just ran into multiple Maryland defenders. They had the speed to cut in and get some good point blank shots. Not sure why they didn't. That to me was the difference between them winning and losing.

Announcing: I really dislike Stugotz, as in every time he opened his mouth. He should never have been there. Secondly, I'm nitpicking, but since when was 4-8 meter shots "point blank"? One of the male announcers (I don't think it was Stugotz) kept saying that throughout the semis and final and it was driving me nuts. Point blank is literally that. Right in your face. Cripes, if you're going to announce guys, at least be accurate in your descriptions. Ok, announcing rant over.
DMac

Post by DMac »

BC lost by two and went one for five on FPSs too, and at least a couple of those were from prime locations.
I know MT was terrific but that's one part of wlax that makes me a little crazy, I can't figure out why the success rate on that play isn't 70+% (and I'm being light there). I can't get the mlax mentality out of my head enough to figure that out, I guess. Just seems to me as if when having that much space that close to the goal you should be able to put it by the GK the majority of times. I've never done it so it must be harder than I think it is....just can not imagine not being able to get the ball past the GK the majoriy of times on that play. :?:
rc13

Post by rc13 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:45 pm 2019 NCAA All Tournament Team
Name, School, Position
Sam Apuzzo, Boston College, A
Dempsey Arsenault, Boston College, M
Kenzie Kent, Boston College, A
Julia Braig, Maryland, D
Lizzie Colson, Maryland, D
Brindi Griffin, Maryland, A
Megan Taylor, Maryland, GK​
Jamie Ortega, North Carolina, A
Emma Trenchard, North Carolina, D
Selena Lasota, Northwestern, A
Izzy Scane, Northwestern, A

Most Outstanding Player: Megan Taylor, Maryland, GK

Love 3 defenders made it, well 4 with MT!
Looks like the usual allocation, in which case the coaches picked their own players. Semifinal losers get two each, runner-up gets three and winning coach picks five including MOP.
OuttaNowhereWregget

NCAA will stagger start times for ’22 quarterfinals

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

“NCAA Women's Quarterfinals Move to Thursday, Staggered and on ESPN Networks

The NCAA Women’s Lacrosse Quarterfinals have moved to Thursday and will be broadcast by ESPN networks, according to a newsletter sent to NCAA stakeholders and the pre-championship manual.

The quarterfinals will be at noon, 2 p.m., 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., on Thursday, May 19, according to the championship manual (see link below). It’s long been a sticking point for fans and advocates of the sport that some of the highest profile games were lumped together around the same time on quarterfinal Saturday.

The 2022 championship will be held at Johns Hopkins with the semifinals on Friday, May 27 and the championship game on Sunday, May 29.”

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... orks/59110

Pre-championship 2022 Manual

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... Manual.pdf
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: NCAA Tournament

Do teams that win their conference at the end of the regular season get an automatic bid? How about the teams that win their conference championship? Two separate bids? Then of course, there are teams that get awarded bids that do not fit into either of the above categories. So that’s three different ways to get into the NCAA tournament, correct?
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:19 pm Do teams that win their conference at the end of the regular season get an automatic bid? How about the teams that win their conference championship? Two separate bids? Then of course, there are teams that get awarded bids that do not fit into either of the above categories. So that’s three different ways to get into the NCAA tournament, correct?
My understanding is that conference tournament only gets the AQ

So UNC could win the ACC championship but if BC won the tournament they get the bid. Obviously UNC and other ACC teams would still get a spot

I think there are 16 AQ spots available (someone please fact check me on that) then beyond that the selection committee goes off ranking/rpi

Selection Sunday probably 5/8 this year?
Laxfan500

Re: NCAA will stagger start times for ’22 quarterfinals

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:40 am “NCAA Women's Quarterfinals Move to Thursday, Staggered and on ESPN Networks

The NCAA Women’s Lacrosse Quarterfinals have moved to Thursday and will be broadcast by ESPN networks, according to a newsletter sent to NCAA stakeholders and the pre-championship manual.

The quarterfinals will be at noon, 2 p.m., 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., on Thursday, May 19, according to the championship manual (see link below). It’s long been a sticking point for fans and advocates of the sport that some of the highest profile games were lumped together around the same time on quarterfinal Saturday.

The 2022 championship will be held at Johns Hopkins with the semifinals on Friday, May 27 and the championship game on Sunday, May 29.”

Do they play at higher seed location? Pardon if this was already asked …
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

laxlaxlax wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:16 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:19 pm Do teams that win their conference at the end of the regular season get an automatic bid? How about the teams that win their conference championship? Two separate bids? Then of course, there are teams that get awarded bids that do not fit into either of the above categories. So that’s three different ways to get into the NCAA tournament, correct?

So UNC could win the ACC championship but if BC won the tournament they get the bid. Obviously UNC and other ACC teams would still get a spot

I think there are 16 AQ spots available (someone please fact check me on that) then beyond that the selection committee goes off ranking/rpi

29 teams make the NCAA tournament - 16 automatic bids go to conference tournament champions & 13 at large bids are up for grabs. Top 8 teams are seeded and top 3 teams receive a first round bye.

Selection show is May 9th.

https://www.ncaa.com/championships/lacr ... ampionship
wlaxphan20

Re: NCAA will stagger start times for ’22 quarterfinals

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:21 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:40 am “NCAA Women's Quarterfinals Move to Thursday, Staggered and on ESPN Networks

Do they play at higher seed location? Pardon if this was already asked …
I believe the 8 seeded teams are also the locations for the first and second round games. So the top 8 seeds will host 2 or 3 other teams and 1 or 2 first round games (top 3 seeds will only host 2 other teams and 1 first round game since they receive a bye) along with 1 second round game. 3 Quarterfinal round is played at the higher seed.

It was recently announced that the QF rounds would take place at neutral sites with staggered game times in future.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Thanks for all the info, folks. So essentially, winning the regular season conference title means nothing. You have to win the conference championship to get the AQ.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:25 pm

29 teams make the NCAA tournament - 16 automatic bids go to conference tournament champions & 13 at large bids are up for grabs. Top 8 teams are seeded and top 3 teams receive a first round bye.

Thanks!

Am I correct in thinking that Stony Brook and JMU both ineligible for automatic bids this year given the moves to different conferences? Sorry if I missed any update on this
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:29 pm Thanks for all the info, folks. So essentially, winning the regular season conference title means nothing. You have to win the conference championship to get the AQ.
Correct. Although position in the conference impacts seeding for most of the conference tournaments I think, so I guess you could argue it makes the path to winning the tournament easier.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

laxlaxlax wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:35 pm

Thanks!

Am I correct in thinking that Stony Brook and JMU both ineligible for automatic bids this year given the moves to different conferences? Sorry if I missed any update on this
Yes! I believe that's the case. So every game is important for them. For them, it's a lot like in Division 2 where no conferences receive AQs and all bids to the tournament are at large. All of your games are important more important.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Just a heads up on this link folks—these are the dates for last year. The mixup is the fault of the NCAA who lists the dates as being for 2022 until you look at the actual date of each round.

Here is a partial broadcast schedule sans rounds 1 and 2. Still looking for the full schedule.

https://www.ncaa.com/championships/lacr ... 1650971310
OuttaNowhereWregget

2022 NCAA Tournament schedule

laxhound22

Post by laxhound22 »

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-rele ... mpionship/

NCAA Division I Women’s Lacrosse Championship Network Designations

First and Second Rounds (May 13 & 15): ESPN+

Quarterfinals (May 19, noon ET, 2:30 p.m., 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.): ESPNU

Semifinals (May 27, 3 and 5 p.m): ESPNU

Championship (May 29, noon): ESPN
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Championship Game will air on ESPN this year

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... first-time
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

laxhound22 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:36 pm https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-rele ... mpionship/

Why did they change the Final Four to 3PM and 5PM. As I remember, it used to be 5PM and 730PM? It just strikes me as odd timing. Glad the Championship is on ESPN!

Joe
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:38 pm
laxhound22 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:36 pm https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-rele ... mpionship/

Why did they change the Final Four to 3PM and 5PM. As I remember, it used to be 5PM and 730PM? It just strikes me as odd timing. Glad the Championship is on ESPN!

Joe
I remember the same. No idea why it changed either
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:41 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:38 pm

Joe
I remember the same. No idea why it changed either
Could be sunlight issues at that time of day. Actually, there will be if it is sunny. Final Four is at Homewood?

Joe

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”