Upsets that make headlines

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Upsets that make headlines

Post by wlaxnut »

Were there any stunning upsets this season so far in women’s D1 lacrosse? Mild upsets, yes. Come from behind victories, yes. But really stunning upsets? Can you think of any?

As a barometer, I don’t count Brown over Princeton as stunning. An upset—yes. Stunning—please.
Last edited by wlaxnut on Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
seacoaster

Re: Any Stunning Upsets this Season, so far?

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:33 am Were there any stunning upsets this season so far in women’s D1 lacrosse? Mild upsets, yes. Come from behind victories, yes. But really stunning upsets? Can you think of any?

As a barometer, I don’t count Brown over Princeton as stunning. An upset—yes. Stunning—please.
DIsagree about the one you mention; it was and is stunning. Take a look at Brown's season:

https://brownbears.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=366

Wins against Quinnipiac; Iona, Yale, Sacred Heart, Fresno State, Harvard and Columbia...and Princeton. I think if you asked Princeton folks, they'd tell you it was stunning.

Other than that one, I can't really think of a game that really came off that unexpected.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:39 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:33 am Were there any stunning upsets this season so far in women’s D1 lacrosse? Mild upsets, yes. Come from behind victories, yes. But really stunning upsets? Can you think of any?

DIsagree about the one you mention; it was and is stunning. Take a look at Brown's season:

https://brownbears.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=366

Wins against Quinnipiac; Iona, Yale, Sacred Heart, Fresno State, Harvard and Columbia...and Princeton. I think if you asked Princeton folks, they'd tell you it was stunning.

Other than that one, I can't really think of a game that really came off that unexpected.
Brown played everybody in the Ivy League tough this year except Dartmouth which they lost to 15 to 11. Everybody else, they either beat or lost by one. That’s why I don’t consider it stunning. Big upset, yes. I wasn’t stunned by it though. I think “stunned” is one of those words, like “awesome” that gets way overused these days. But that’s just one fellow’s opinion.
rc13

Post by rc13 »

I would say no. If Brown/Princeton is the biggest upset, then it has been a pretty predictable season.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

I know Michigan scoring the game tying and game winning goals in the games final 6.2 seconds was stunning. But Michigan beating Penn State last year wasn’t stunning. Can we say that Ohio State beating Maryland in the conference championships a few years ago was the last stunning victory in women’s D1 lacrosse?
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

Louisville came close to pulling a stunning upset earlier in the year against Duke. Double overtime loss there. But the key words are "close to."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Decided to shut off the computer. Anyway, off the top of my head, this is what I think: 2019's Biggest Upsets
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:54 pm Louisville came close to pulling a stunning upset earlier in the year against Duke. Double overtime loss there. But the key words are "close to."
I wouldn’t have considered that stunning. Duke is a middle tier team and Louisville is getting used to a new coach and building a stronger program.

I’m trying to think of when there has been a stunning upset in sports in general, not just women’s lacrosse. I suppose it was stunning when number eight seed Columbus swept the number one seed Tampa Bay out of the first round in the NHL this year. Many years back, it was stunning for the Boston College football Eagles to go into Miami and win on a last-second Hail Mary play. It was stunning for the Americans to beat the Russians back in 1980 on the ice. I can’t think of anything that has happened in women’s lacrosse in the past few years that rivals that.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Here’s a matchup that I would consider stunning – if UMBC beat Maryland.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:22 pm
laxorangebookworm wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:54 pm Louisville came close to pulling a stunning upset earlier in the year against Duke. Double overtime loss there. But the key words are "close to."
I wouldn’t have considered that stunning. Duke is a middle tier team and Louisville is getting used to a new coach and building a stronger program.

I’m trying to think of when there has been a stunning upset in sports in general, not just women’s lacrosse. I suppose it was stunning when number eight seed Columbus swept the number one seed Tampa Bay out of the first round in the NHL this year. Many years back, it was stunning for the Boston College football Eagles to go into Miami and win on a last-second Hail Mary play. It was stunning for the Americans to beat the Russians back in 1980 on the ice. I can’t think of anything that has happened in women’s lacrosse in the past few years that rivals that.
Eh, I think given the talent discrepancies, that still would have been a stunning win given the circumstances.
OuttaNowhereWregget

JMU 13 Maryland 8

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

This is one of the bigger upsets from '22 so far. A JMU Dukes team came onto the Weird Field in College Park and spoiled the Terps 8-0 record. First win for the Dukes over the Terps since 2003 and a 12 game losing streak against Maryland come to an end. I was most impressed down the stretch with the way James Madison played with the lead. They masterfully drained the clock with each possession, giving their defense a blow each time and frustrating the Terps. It's always a significant win to take down Maryland, but it's extra special to do it on the Terps home field.

https://twitter.com/USALacrosseMag/stat ... s-michigan
OuttaNowhereWregget

Ginny Gets Over Big Time! Bounces Syracuse!

I was burnt after watching 3 straight games yesterday and elected to watch a movie before going to bed. So I was STUNNED to see this score when I woke up this morning. I can't hardly wait to watch the replay on good ol' YouTube TV. So funny because I was going to post under the BC topic this morning how sick and tired I am as a BC fan to have to see and play Syracuse so often. And LO and behold--BC fans get a break in the ACC semis. We might meet them again in the dance but what a nice vacation. But wow--this is an upset that is worthy of this topic. Just stunning that Ginny finally got over. And what's even better is BC will cruise Sunday and then have a nice rest before getting another shot at their first ACC championship.

https://virginiasports.com/news/2022/04 ... emifinals/
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Upsets that make headlines

Oregon 14 Colorado 10

Who saw that coming?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:14 am Oregon 14 Colorado 10

Who saw that coming?
that is surprising
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:16 am

Who saw that coming?
that is surprising
It's shocking - CO had beat them twice already this year, and by 11 goals just last week and CO just beat Denver a couple of days ago..may be the biggest upset of the year. I didn't see the game but looks like OR goalie stood on her head. I don't think CO will get an at large bid...the bubble teams may be celebrating.
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

8meterPA wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:25 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:16 am

Who saw that coming?
that is surprising
It's shocking - CO had beat them twice already this year, and by 11 goals just last week and CO just beat Denver a couple of days ago..may be the biggest upset of the year. I didn't see the game but looks like OR goalie stood on her head. I don't think CO will get an at large bid...the bubble teams may be celebrating.
that's a crushing blow for the Buffs. No way they make it. I thought they had to make it to finals to improve the resume a bit in order to support the case for having 4 Pac-12 teams in.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Is there anything to derive from this? A hot goalie stole one? Colorado took Oregon for granted? All is not well in the mile high state? Or more evidence of growing parity in division one?
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

8meterPA wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:25 am
It is tough beating a team three times in a season - even a not great team like Oregon. This should knock Colorado out of consideration for an at large bid and it makes it even that more ridiculous that Denver only dropped 2 spots in the IWLCA poll after they lost to Colorado.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
OuttaNowhereWregget

What it all boils down to

In spite of the polls (which are just so many opinions), and the deeply flawed formulae of RPI/SOS (which are primarily used to sift through and separate the bubble teams) – all the heavy hitters make the big dance. The only complaints come from said bubble teams—and some of the big dogs kvetching about their seed. Further, the best team usually (read: 99.9% of the time) wins the national championship. I’m coming to see more and more as I observe the sport that the polls and the math formulas are largely irrelevant.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”