North Carolina 11 Syracuse 5

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

North Carolina 11 Syracuse 5

Post by wlaxnut »

In the end this was a dominant performance by North Carolina--a statement win leaving no doubt who #3 in the nation is. A combination of a red hot goalie (Moreno - 12 saves), a suffocating defense, a Syracuse team out of sync, and a Tar Heel team that was just hungrier for the win. The final score could easily have been 14 to 5 as North Carolina clanged the pipe thrice. Syracuse frequently shot the ball wide and turned the ball over on silly decisions. Though UNC's star Jamie Ortega (1 assist) was faceguarded the whole game, the Heels found other players like Warehime (4 goals) and Klages (3 goals) to step up, and none more so than Katie Hoeg who dished out an impressive 6 assists and scored 1 for good measure. Syracuse looked ordinary and defeated through most of the 2nd half, outhustled and uninspired--and now 0-3 against the big 3 of BC, Maryland and North Carolina.
DMac

Re: North Carolina 11 Syracuse 5

Post by DMac »

Didn't see too much of this game but what I did see was a funk game by the Cuse. As noted, NC looked like the more determined team, had the fire and skip in their step and the Cuse just didn't. Couple that with a GK that said not today and it was big trouble for the Cuse. Yup, they gave up 11 goals, but this one's on the typically pretty efficient O....in what little I saw they weren't even scoring on FPSs, that's not a good sign.
Guess thee of little faith had good reason to not believe.
;)
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Oh me of little faith...I just thought Carolina would be primed for this one — and it was. This is a team that lost in OT to Maryland at that weird field the Terps alone seem to like. UNC is good.
BigRedMachine

Post by BigRedMachine »

Seacoaster,
The field hockey and lacrosse complex is closed for renovations. All home games are played at Capital One Field (the football stadium). While this venue offers better amenities (more seating, replays on the jumbotron, etc.), it is cavernous and you are further away from the action. I know there have been complaints about the surface of the FHLC (it's hard and fast which is better suited for field hockey) but it's cozy and great for viewing games. If you're perched somewhere along the fence line you are literally on the sidelines and when there's a big game like Carolina, Syracuse or Northwestern, the atmosphere is electric. I don't know the budgetary priorities but eventually I'd like to see a lacrosse complex like Homewood field at Hopkins. Yes, know lacrosse is a non revenue sport but it's been the most successful of MD teams. Maybe uber tycoons like TL can open up their wallets.
Batman

Post by Batman »

Big Red Machine

I believe the new Lacrosse Complex has been open. North Carolina played Boston College in the new venue. Correct me if I am wrong.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

BRM, thanks. I didn't know that. I think I still think of the football stadium as Byrd (right?), and remember that the television view seems like it is from a distance. One think I don't care for with the Field Hockey and Lacrosse venue is that every boundary ball seems to zing out of bounds. But you are absolutely right: the few games I've seen televised there makes the venue look like a great, great place to watch a game, up close, really personal.

Batman, we are talking about the Terps field. UNC did just reopen the former?) Fetzer Field venue, revamped and gorgeous.
Batman

Post by Batman »

Yikes Seacoaster

This is why I don't usually chime in. Thanks to all of you I love reading all the posts and all the knowledge You Guys Bring.
BigRedMachine

Post by BigRedMachine »

Seacoaster, you're correct, Byrd stadium. Now everybody enhances revenues with naming rights.
Turtles Lax

To be specific...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...it’s MARYLAND Stadium. Capital One Field is the playing surface.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Peace, out.

TL

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”