D1 Women National Rankings

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Badlands

Re: D1 Women National Rankings

Post by Badlands »

And then there will also be a three-way tie among Duke, UVA and VT at 2-5 if Tech knocks off UVA.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Badlands wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:58 pm And then there will also be a three-way tie among Duke, UVA and VT at 2-5 if Tech knocks off UVA.
Correct!

It will be very interesting to see which team ends up where, and what all the quarterfinal match ups will be next Wednesday.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

D1 WOMEN: Northwestern beat Notre Dame, Dartmouth beat Cornell, Virginia beat Virginia Tech, Army beat Boston U., and we've updated the... Computer Rankings and Game Scores.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Still not buying this ranking system...Currently in this ranking, Florida is ranked #11 with a 10-6 record and a SOS of #22. They are 3 ranking numbers ahead of Loyola who is #14 with a 12-4 record and a SOS of #17....AND they beat Florida head to head....NCAA RPI has Loyola #11, Florida #12...Inside Lacrosse has Loyola #11, Florida #17, Coaches poll has Loyola #11, Florida #18...I see a trend :D

Sorry to pick on you, Florida and Loyola, but it doesn't pass the eye test for me. I appreciate the hard work that goes into that ranking system, but I just don't get it... :oops:
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:52 pm Still not buying this ranking system...Currently in this ranking, Florida is ranked #11 with a 10-6 record and a SOS of #22. They are 3 ranking numbers ahead of Loyola who is #14 with a 12-4 record and a SOS of #17....AND they beat Florida head to head....NCAA RPI has Loyola #11, Florida #12...Inside Lacrosse has Loyola #11, Florida #17, Coaches poll has Loyola #11, Florida #18...I see a trend :D

Sorry to pick on you, Florida and Loyola, but it doesn't pass the eye test for me. I appreciate the hard work that goes into that ranking system, but I just don't get it... :oops:
What he said.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

First, I get it. Head-to-head seems so obvious. But for ranking, it inevitably leaves teams chasing their tails. Though counter-intuitive, resumes are better than head-to-head. Second, if we had the same rankings as the others, why bother doing it. And, just because ours is different, it doesn't mean it's wrong. Quite frankly, I'm consistently amazed by the amount of Group Think amongst the Rankers. Even the Computer Rankings.

Florida vs. Loyola...
FL- Best wins over Stony Brook, Colorado, High Point and Brown: 535 Points. 6 losses: 3 don't hurt at all (Md, SU, UNC) and 3 hurt more (Loyola, Navy, Princeton).
Loyola- Best wins over FL, PSU, Navy, and BU: 533 Points. 4 losses: 2 don't hurt at all (SU, UVA) and 2 hurt more (JHU, Princeton).

Their points are actually very close. I'm surprised there are two teams between them. None the less, Florida's losses are a little worse while their wins are a little better. Yes, one of Loyola's wins is over Florida and... Florida has a better resume. In other words, grossly simplifying this, Loyola says, We beat you! And Florida says, Yes and we're ranked #11. We beat Stony Brook who is ranked #9. that's the general gist. It's really not so crazy.

Just checked Massey, his rankings are pretty good. i like his rationales, formulas, etc. and... He has Florida at 14 and Loyola at 15.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

D1 WOMEN: This weekend, UNC beat BC and took the #1 spot as the Biggest Win this Season. Also, BC beat Syracuse, USC beat Colorado, Colorado beat Stanford, and UMd beat JHU (the #7, #30, #61, and #74 Biggest Wins this Season). Computer Rankings updated.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This weekend, Northwestern beat Maryland (the #1 Biggest Win this season), Georgetown beat Denver, and, biggest of all... We have our 28 team Brackets. Computer Rankings updated and includes an asterisk next to Tournament participating teams.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

D1 Women: And the D1 Women Second Round Games start at noon (without USC or Penn who lost on Friday). UMd-Stony Brook, Michigan-Denver, UVA-Navy, BC-Colorado, UNC-Florida, Princeton-Loyola, and Northwestern-Notre Dame.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

D1 WOMEN: Four upcoming Quarterfinal Games - #1 Maryland vs. #10 Denver, #5 Syracuse vs. #4 Northwestern, #12 Princeton vs. #2 Boston College, and #3 North Carolina vs. #7 Virginia.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

D1 WOMEN: 2019 FanLax Computer Rankings - Final. #1 through #4 are obvious. The rest of the teams, not so obvious. http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2019/05/28/201 ... ngs-final/
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Interesting. I think Princeton beats the four teams directly above it. Maybe five, as I think the Tigresses improved over the season and UVA stayed about the same.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bottomline, all 6 (and more) of these teams are very close in terms of quality Ws and Ls (which is how we do the rankings). The Brown loss didn't help P'ton (though it also didn't kill them) and... It's just really close. It's too bad that P'ton didn't get to play another team before BC. A UVA, Michigan, Denver, etc.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Understood. I didn’t mean it as a criticism of the poll or method. Just an observation that Princeton was a very good team this year.

Thanks for everything you’re doing and trying to do.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No offense taken. i'm agreeing.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

sea (and whoever else), I didn't like an aspect of the methodology of the Rankings (the starting points) so i fixed this and re-ran it and... the D1 Women Rankings were updated.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Women's Division I Media Poll: Penn State Soars, 'Cuse Jumps, Buckeyes Enter
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nter/57344
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”