WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Debbie Taylor - Color Commentary during Duke/SU

Post by wlaxnut »

Debbie Taylor does a great job on color commentary. Nice style. No hyperbole--just solid, knowledgeable, insightful analysis with an understated sense of humor. Women's lacrosse needs more like her.
wlaxnut

Boston College vs Virginia Tech ACC Network 4/13

Post by wlaxnut »

The BC/VT game was difficult to watch in the early going because the camera angle/shot was so wide (far away). I tweeted to Virginia Tech and a few other addresses during the game and thankfully they corrected that in the second half by zooming in for a tighter shot the rest of the way. No instant replays.

No teams/score/time remaining banner, so obviously no shot clock.

No field mics or if they existed they were turned down so low you couldn't even hear the refs whistles.

A single play-by-play announcer, which was fine, although he mispronounced Dempsey Arsenault's last name for the first half (said Ar-se-not). He kept calling Lauren Daly Abbey Ngai after she was replaced for the final 6 minutes of the game.

Overall the broadcast production was horrible. Total amateur production. I don’t know how an up-and-coming team like Virginia Tech in a big-time conference like the ACC allows such a poor showcasing of their team, not to mention the conference and the sport.
wlaxnut

Re: Women's Lacrosse Broadcasts: Comments and Reviews

Post by wlaxnut »

Must it always be “...in the back of the net”? Is there a strict edict somewhere decreed that goals in women’s lacrosse must always be described by broadcasting personnel as going “in the back of the net”? How tedious.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:39 pm Must it always be “...in the back of the net”? Is there a strict edict somewhere decreed that goals in women’s lacrosse must always be described by broadcasting personnel as going “in the back of the net”? How tedious.
Is there really a front and back anyway? And if there is, isn't the back the exterior part of the net on the back side of the cage?
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

When I was setting them up about a decade ago, professional broadcasts on TV (not streaming) cost $50k+ per game at a minimum. This was on the men's side.

Streaming still runs a pretty penny and requires a number of people setting them up. Women's (and men's) lax relies on football and basketball revenues for support. There's a huge reason ESPN has shoved most lacrosse broadcasts onto their paid ESPN+ service - lost revenues.

Be the change you want to see in the sport if you want it to grow - volunteer for local color commentary or play-by-play, or red hat duties or any other myriad of responsibilities in local broadcasting. The biggest men's games of the year don't come close to touching women's softball viewership. The biggest women's games of the year don't come close to touching men's lacrosse viewership.

It's a sisyphean task that requires all of our help, and not just observational criticism.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

holmes435 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:14 am When I was setting them up about a decade ago, professional broadcasts on TV (not streaming) cost $50k+ per game at a minimum. This was on the men's side.

Streaming still runs a pretty penny and requires a number of people setting them up. Women's (and men's) lax relies on football and basketball revenues for support. There's a huge reason ESPN has shoved most lacrosse broadcasts onto their paid ESPN+ service - lost revenues.

Be the change you want to see in the sport if you want it to grow - volunteer for local color commentary or play-by-play, or red hat duties or any other myriad of responsibilities in local broadcasting. The biggest men's games of the year don't come close to touching women's softball viewership. The biggest women's games of the year don't come close to touching men's lacrosse viewership.

It's a sisyphean task that requires all of our help, and not just observational criticism.
Yes, I anyway need to always bear in mind that only a few years ago, it seems, there was almost nothing to see on the Web and TV. And should just be grateful that colleges are willing to show the games.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

holmes435 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:14 am When I was setting them up about a decade ago, professional broadcasts on TV (not streaming) cost $50k+ per game at a minimum. This was on the men's side.

"If it weren’t for about 10 of us ("old guys") who clearly have nothing else to do, the wlax board would get one post a month."

- Badlands

Aw, c'mon Holmes. Let us 10 old guys have a little fun.

I'll speak for myself as I enjoy kvetching from time to time. It is, and will always be, part of sports. If we can't do that, then it turns into something obligatory and restrictive--and ultimately no fun anymore. I agree with seacoaster and am also grateful for the relative explosion of viewable women's lacrosse games the last few years. But we are also serving a purpose in the grand scheme of things with our criticisms. One--we are proof that there are people watching the games so that's affirming to the NCAA, the teams and the production crews. Two--we call attention to the flaws, which in turn improves the quality of future broadcasts--for everyone.

One of the things I greatly appreciate about the "Back-Up Stick" is that it more closely reflects America. Land of the Free. We are free here to express our opinions without getting censored (within reason and the guidelines set forth, of course). The old boards had too much interference from the "moderators" otherwise known as biased editors/censors.

There is a lot of praise and accolades issuing from these boards along with the observational criticisms. Lots of posts calling attention to all the good that is in all aspects of the sport--players, teams, broadcasters, coaches, play-by-play guys (why aren't there any women doing play-by-play by the way?) color commentators, etc. We have to be allowed to express both praise and criticism freely or else it ceases to be any fun.

Alright--I have aired my windbag long enough.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:33 am
LRoggy wrote:
Not wanting the casual fan? That's how the sport dies . . . you always have to want to grow the audience . . . otherwise #GrowTheGame is MEANINGLESS!
Respectfully, LRoggy, you have be careful with that casual fan too. If it were up to the casual fan, wlaxers would be wearing pads and playing the men's game. Do you want to sell your game out for the ca$ual fan? See what game is being proposed for Olympic "lacrosse" for more world wide appeal. That's not lacrosse, it's a bastardized version of the game with hopes of a more world wide appeal. Gotta be real careful with what you wish for with that treasure chest of ca$ual fans.
This is such a great perspective regarding changing the game for the casual fan, DMac. I agree wholeheartedly.

IF, down the road, the NCAA adopts the ridiculous Olympic rules which try to turn women's lacrosse into women's basketball, it would Ruin the game for me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Which is why I say I don't much care about the casual fan and their ideas of how to improve the game (to which some take offense). Too many of them don't understand the game and want to change it to one they're more familiar with (basketball). The changes wlax has made in recent years are all good, IMO, (am sure the old school purists would disagree) and while it has brought it closer to the men's game, it hasn't made it a new/different game such as the one being proposed (pushed) for the Olympics. No thanks.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:27 am Which is why I say I don't much care about the casual fan and their ideas of how to improve the game (to which some take offense). Too many of them don't understand the game and want to change it to one they're more familiar with (basketball). The changes wlax has made in recent years are all good, IMO, (am sure the old school purists would disagree) and while it has brought it closer to the men's game, it hasn't made it a new/different game such as the one being proposed (pushed) for the Olympics. No thanks.
I agree with everything you wrote. Well put.
wlaxnut

Women’s lacrosse history anyone?

Post by wlaxnut »

The NCAA website only lists the champions for women’s division one lacrosse back to 1982. Does anyone know of a resource that charts the results from the very beginning? For instance, the Maryland Terrapins were founded in 1974. Did they never play a championship until 1982? They have listed 1981 as a first title. I would be grateful for any information.
Maryland75

Re: Women’s lacrosse history anyone?

Post by Maryland75 »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:09 am The NCAA website only lists the champions for women’s division one lacrosse back to 1982. Does anyone know of a resource that charts the results from the very beginning? For instance, the Maryland Terrapins were founded in 1974. Did they never play a championship until 1982? They have listed 1981 as a first title. I would be grateful for any information.
[/Search

Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women.

Wikipedia has a site that explains the organization but I didn’t notice specific sport information.
Maryland75

Re: WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

Post by Maryland75 »

Lacrosse

Division I
AIAW championship 1981–82. Administered 1978–80 by the United States Women's Lacrosse Association (USWLA).

1978 Penn State def. Maryland 9-3
1979 Penn State def. Massachusetts 8-5
1980 Penn State def. Maryland 3-1
1981 Maryland def. Ursinus 5-4
1982 Temple (Pennsylvania) def. Maryland 3-2
Division II
1981 Delaware
1982 Delaware
Division III
1981 Trenton State (New Jersey)
1982 Millersville State (Pennsylvania
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Maryland75 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:38 am Lacrosse

Division I
AIAW championship 1981–82. Administered 1978–80 by the United States Women's Lacrosse Association (USWLA).

Division II
1981 Delaware
1982 Delaware
Division III
1982 Millersville State (Pennsylvania
NICE! Thanks Maryland! (Where’d you get this, by the way?)
DMac

Post by DMac »

Look at those scores!
Thank you rules committee for making wlax the exciting game it is today.
Matnum PI

Re: Women’s lacrosse history anyone?

Post by Matnum PI »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:09 am The NCAA website only lists the champions for women’s division one lacrosse back to 1982... I would be grateful for any information.
These are the National Champions from 1982 until today: https://www.ncaa.com/history/lacrosse-women/d1.
These are Game Results from 2005-2017.
This is Maryland from 2005-2017.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

WLAXNUT,

I found the information on the AIAW tournament Wikipedia site
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Lacrosse

Division I

Division II
1981 Delaware
1982 Delaware

Division III
1982 Millersville State (Pennsylvania)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Thanks for all the contributions! I sincerely appreciate it. Now, I have another question. Were there any championships before 1978? Maryland women’s lacrosse was founded in 1974. Were there just exhibitions then or was there a championship under another organization?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:49 am Look at those scores!
Thank you rules committee for making wlax the exciting game it is today.
You said it! Those games must have felt like an eternity with so few goals scored.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”